♥♥♥

Birthday Story

 

“Hey Sungmin hyung! I have one of the most awesome news ever!” Kyuhyun beckons as he nears the older. His chestnut hair bounces on his face, slightly covering his eyes. The day is almost passing, the sunset is looming. The breeze if just nice and the silence makes nice ambience around them.

Sungmin turns to face him, smiling as he hears the other’s voice, “What is it, Kyuhyun?” he asks.

“I-I.. uhh,” Kyuhyun sheepishly scratches the back of his head, making his face look scrunched up.

“What Kyuhyun?” Sungmin asks, laughing. He wasn’t used to a shy and awkward Kyuhyun.

“I.. Siwon hyung asked me out,” Kyuhyun says, his words tangling from the nimble speed.

 

The thing with this life is, Kyuhyun likes Siwon. No, Kyuhyun is practically in love with this person. His perfect face, the way the ends of his mouth would rise up when he smiles beautifully, his tall build and his amazing muscular figure. And his undying love for the Lord, what more could someone like Kyuhyun ask for? Heck, what else would any Christian ask for?

 

Well, another thing with this life is, Sungmin likes Kyuhyun. No, Sungmin is practically in love with this person. Kyuhyun’s light brown hair, his breath-taking eyes, his gorgeous face and he has a stunning voice that could capture anyone’s heart, these are what Sungmin liked in his roommate, his best friend. What else would anyone ask for? He’s basically climbing up every bias list out there.

 

“So… what did you say?” Sungmin asks, playing with his fingers behind his back.

“I said yes,” Kyuhyun says and grins, taking his hands out of their closed position and using his right hand to tip Sungmin’s chin up, making Sungmin look into his eyes.

For a moment, Sungmin doesn’t know what happens, he doesn’t know what he should do next either. And when Sungmin snaps back to reality, he tears his gaze of off Kyuhyun’s mesmerizing eyes, he clears his throat and he slowly takes Kyuhyun’s hand off his chin.

For a moment, Kyuhyun doesn’t know what he feels either. It’s innocent friend love, right? Isn’t it that? Well Kyuhyun thinks so.

“Kyuhyun? Are you there?” Siwon shouts from the other hallway, and allows Kyuhyun to look behind him, searching for his loved voice.

He turns back to look at Sungmin and says, “I’m going now, hyung. It was nice talking to you,” he smiles and bows slightly before turning to leave. And Sungmin thinks to himself, where he should start looking for his own loved voice.

 

Sungmin decides to walk to the place where he and Kyuhyun used to hang out a lot. There was just a pathway between two fields of grass and occasional benches scattered around at that area. He sits on his usual bench, under a simple Sharon’s flower tree.

He takes a deep breath. I don’t understand how you can be so blind, Kyuhyun.

 

Or maybe it’s me who has the problem. Maybe I should just forget how I like you, Kyuhyun. Aren’t things easier that way?

 

Sungmin was never a martyr in subjects like this. He would just go with what others wanted, not piping up his own want.

 

And that’s why he feels so unhappy.

 

“Sungmin hyung,” Kyuhyun starts, playing with Sungmin’s hand with his own. They sit side by side, with Sungmin’s head slightly leaning on Kyuhyun’s shoulder.

“Yeah?” Sungmin asks. He stares at a young boy who tries to tie his shoes the right way.

“When.. When you or I get… someone we love we’ll tell each other first right?” Kyuhyun asks, not looking at Sungmin.

“…Yeah. I guess so,” Sungmin says, slightly unsure. He didn’t understand the point of this question.

“Good,” Kyuhyun smiles. That was when he looked at Sungmin.

Sungmin’s large innocent eyes look into his and his lips return a beam.

Yeah?Sungmin thinks to himself, What if I never get you?

 

Kyuhyun was cleaning their room one day (miraculously) and he found a notebook plainly surfaced on the ground. He picked it up curiously, and opened the white unlocked notebook slowly.

 

Hey! Felt like I needed something to release my feelings or something like that. Haha. So I bought this notebook where I put important things that I like to express. 8D … I think I’ll lost this, though. But oh well, it’ll get lost in our room only anyway, I don’t think it’ll be that hard to find. –Sungmin

 

Kyuhyun giggles at the childish message. His hyung isn’t actually as pure as others would think he was, but he sure talked to that notebook like a child.

He flips through the pages and comes to a particular page with an abnormal number of hearts. Kyuhyun thought he’d be the first to know if Sungmin liked someone, what the hell is this notebook doing replacing him like that.

 

I realize now that I like this person. And I find it weird. Because we’re friends. And I’m not supposed to like my friends. Right? Ugh. So confusing~

 

 

… it’s Kyuhyun.

 

Kyuhyun feels tears threatening to spill out of his eyes. His hyung… his hyung liked him? And he didn’t even know? Kyuhyun feels stupid and, and—regretful.

Sungmin is, Sungmin is—is his. Sungmin is the person he trusts, he cares about. Sungmin is the person whom he’d think of about safety and health. Sungmin is the person Kyuhyun wants to protect. And he feels useless to have hurt Sungmin by his own feelings towards Siwon.

Siwon—but Kyuhyun loved Siwon, right? He always told Siwon that, always told him he’d be forever his.

 

Kyuhyun knows then what the right decision was.

 

“Hyung!” Kyuhyun shouts as he looks for Sungmin on the pathway, searching the bench under the Sharon’s flower tree.

Sungmin was just leaving and was going to pass through the way on the other side of the pathway. He turns at the sound of Kyuhyun’s voice, heart both hopeful and disappointed.

When Kyuhyun reaches him, Kyuhyun looks at him for awhile first and they don’t do anything. Sungmin stares at Kyuhyun, while Kyuhyun looks at Sungmin: taking in his features, embedding his face in his mind. He realizes he won’t last long not seeing Sungmin’s face.

After those moments, Kyuhyun reaches out and takes Sungmin in a tight hug, not planning to let go anytime soon.

Sungmin doesn’t react at first, his arms free at his sides and his face a pure display of surprise.

But then he thinks Maybe Kyuhyun has a problem so he needs my comfort, bearing this in mind, he puts his arms against Kyuhyun’s back lightly.

“Sungmin hyung,” Kyuhyun whispers in Sungmin’s ear, having the sound of desperation. “I like you.”

At first Sungmin doesn’t respond; he doesn’t move at all. Sungmin then says, “Kyuhyun are you drunk? Look, I’m not Siwon, okay. You come in here looking at me then telling me you like me. C’mon Cho,” Sungmin harshly tries to pry his body off of Kyuhyun so he could face him, when he’s at an abundant distance, he puts his hand lightly against Kyuhyun’s cheek, “wake up.”

But Kyuhyun doesn’t say anything, he just holds Sungmin hand in his and presses the smaller man against him into a hug while he caresses the other’s hand.

“I’m not drunk, hyung. I’m not sick; I’m not crazy. I just love you,” Kyuhyun says as he applies more force on Sungmin’s hand, like marking it as his own.

“Yeah well… Siwon is—“

“Siwon knows. Siwon knows because even if I haven’t told him yet, he felt it. So when I went up to him earlier looking different than I usually do, he told me he knows.”

“How can such a person know more things than the person actually involved…” Sungmin mumbles quite agitated. Kyuhyun laughs and Sungmin giggles a bit afterwards.

“It’s because I’m stupid, hyung.”

“First time I heard that from you, Kyuhyun. You’re freaking me out, maybe you are sick,” Sungmin says as he bends his back again and presses the back of his hand against Kyuhyun’s forehead.

Kyuhyun holds Sungmin’s hand that is against his face and takes it off for Sungmin to look at him, “Tell me you love me, hyung.”

Kyuhyun’s eyes shimmer with hope and anticipation, his heart feels like it’s bursting, and he knows the difference when it’s Siwon and when it’s Sungmin.

“I love you, Kyuhyun. There, happy?” Sungmin asks, mock-glaring at the younger.

“Yes,” Kyuhyun says as he pulls Sungmin into another hug, “I am very very happy.”

So am I.