Daddy In Training

Daddy In Training

When Tao discovers he’s pregnant, while he’s a little surprised, he’s still overwhelmed with joy and of course he rushes to tell his boyfriend of three years, Kris, the great news.

Kris, well he doesn’t exactly take the news of having a baby quite as well. Yeah, he faints.

It’s not that Kris doesn’t want a baby, because sure babies are cute and tiny and all that stuff so what’s not to love them? In Kris’s opinion though, there’s everything not to love about them. They drool and babble and for a while they’re just toothless mindless messes of pink flesh and beady little eyes. It’s not like Kris can’t admit babies are cute, because they are sometimes. He just doesn’t see himself being a father, be it a baby or a grown man he’s not one to take care of anything. The fact that there is a human being growing within his boyfriend’s stomach, a life that Kris himself has somehow helped create (even though he wasn’t aiming to) is kind of terrifying. It’s not a good, new experience kind of terrifying either. It’s a let me throw myself form this cliff out of terror because holy crap we’re having baby.

He feels bad about fainting on Tao too, because the backlash of it is a lot of crying (all of it on Tao’s part) and some pretty harsh words. Kris tries to explain his worries of becoming a father, but to Tao it only translates as Kris saying he doesn’t want a kid, more specifically he doesn’t want their kid. Which isn’t exactly true, but Tao is much too emotional to hear Kris out. This is another reason why he’s scared for Tao to have their kid, for him to actually be pregnant, he’s not sure he can handle a hormonal boyfriend that’s expecting so much of him, when he has to clue what the hell he’s doing. Tao, who’s in the midst of trying to call his mother and tell her he’s moving back home because his boyfriends a worthless man who cares nothing for, finally takes a second to listen to Kris when he says this. Tao hangs up the phone and makes this dopey little face in some form of an apology, and Kris being Kris of course takes Tao into his arms automatically, never one to say no to Tao’s pout.

“See, you should have said that instead of denying our child.” Tao reprimands him. “I never denied-” “Shut up.” Tao warns him and Kris does as he’s told, simply snuggling into Tao’s hair happily while Tao starts to mumble on about how cute their kids going to be, and how adorable the crib is, and how he’s already started picking out colors. Kris only half listens and tries to contain the thudding in his chest that’s screaming at him to run away from any child, be it his or not, as soon as possible.


“So I was thinking we should go to birthing classes, and you should definitely come along with me to the healthy pregnancy courses, not to mention we’ve also got to sign up for the seminar on preventing premature birth, oh! I read about this pregnant yoga class that women take with their partners that’s supposed to be good for the family’s relationship, I think you’d definitely befit form that one honey. Oh, I don’t really need it, but should we be safe and go to the feeding class too? I don’t want to risk anything, you know maybe…

“Tao.”

“Tao…”

“Honey?”

“Tao, stop talking!” Kris hates to raise his voice, because Tao looks happier than ever surrounded by all these random baby books (Kris has yet to actually check if they are baby books, he’s only assuming) with his hair pulled back and his hand that’s not flipping through book pages resting on his barely there baby bump. He’s about 2 months along now, and he’s been glowing since Kris agreed he’d try not to cry every time Tao said the word baby. Of course, Kris has kind of warmed up to the idea of having a little copy of him and Tao, he thinks it might actually be kind of cute. Kind of… But still, a feeding class? Tao doesn’t even have s! Kris wants to make Tao as happy as possible, he’ll do anything for the boy, but he’s not going to a feeding class, and he’s not very sure about that weird yoga thing either.

Kris glances up from his watch to see Tao’s eyes b with little tears, and the poor pregnant boy is whimpering too. “Oh, honey I didn’t mean to…” Kris stumbles over the large stacks of books and clambers on to the sofa besides his boyfriend, eyes lowered shamefully. “You don’t love me do you?” Tao squeaks out, large crocodile tears already falling down his cheeks and landing on the fabric of his shirt. “I’m too fat now aren’t I? You hate us both!” He accuses and tries to awkwardly turn and face away from Kris, but he’s got so much stuff around him that it’s hard to move. Kris is bewildered, because where did Tao get the idea that he doesn’t love him? He’s said it plenty of times to the younger boy, in fact he told him just a few minutes ago when he was passing through the living room of their apartment, where Tao has been reading.

“W-what? Baby, what are you saying?” Kris tries to get him to turn back, but Tao is unbelievably stubborn, and just sits with his palms resting on his stomach with a frown on his lips. “C’mon, Tao… Honey, stop being this way. You know I love you.” “No you don’t!” Tao howls, his feet stomping cutely against the floor in protest to Kris’s words. “Don’t lie to us!” Kris just sighs, because he’s not quite sure how to win over his over emotional boyfriend and apparently now a baby that he’s pretty sure doesn’t even know he exists yet. “What if I got you ice cream?” Kris asks, leaning in over Tao’s shoulder to see the boy sniff, “I want cinnamon rolls.” Tao grumbles, folding his arms grudgingly while Kris tries to think of a place close by that sells cinnamon rolls. “Alright, I’ll get you cinnamon rolls then.” Kris says, standing to go find his wallet and keys. “Get extra icing too!” Tao adds as Kris opens the front door, “Oh, and some cherry ice cream!”


“Where’s my cherry ice cream?”

“Baby, you’re allergic to cherries.”

“And?”

“And? And what, did you want to hurt the baby by having a sever reaction to eating it?”

“Are you saying I would try to harm our child?”

“Tao, I never-”

“Stop, I don’t need to hear anything more. Obviously you see me as some aby killer.”

“Tao, I didn’t mean it like that.”

“What, so then you meant to say you wanted me to kill our baby?”

“Tao, no…”

“Stop denying our child!”

“Tao!”


Tao’s told Kris multiple times that the best way to get over his fear of babies (Kris reminds him he’s not afraid of babies, they’re just weird) is to have experience with one before they have their own kid, just to be sure that Kris doesn’t panic and drop their child on the first day they bring him or her home. Kris doesn’t think he’s going to drop their child, that’s a little much, but he lets Tao go on about not dropping children anyway, just because he doesn’t want to have a repeat of the previous night with Tao once again demanding that he not deny their child. He’s not denying it, but Tao’s mind always finds a way to twist his words around not matter what. It’s a little frustrating, but Kris reminds himself that his boyfriend has another person within his stomach, so he should probably be slightly more understanding of the boy’s massive mood swings.

But, no matter how hard Kris protests, he still finds himself awkwardly holding Tao’s nine month old niece, while his boyfriend and his sister walk out the front door, giggling as they remind Kris to feed the child before they get back, and then they’re gone. Kris takes one look down at the little chubby thing in his arms and starts sweating because, well because this is the first time he’s been left alone with a child. Oh god.

Tao comes home three hours after leaving Kris, his sister already gone because Tao promised to watch the child for the entire night. He’s a little shocked at the silence he’s that greets him when he opens the front door. Honestly Tao was expecting to hear sobbing from the second he came back, whether it was Kris or the baby he had anticipated to see with tears in their eyes, he wasn’t sure. Tao makes his way through the house, everything is way too clean and way too quiet for Kris to have been the one taking care of his niece, and Tao’s like 65% sure Kris hired a babysitter the second they left. Still, he keeps silent and wanders down towards their bedroom. He winces a little when their door creeks as he opens it, and makes a mental note to fix that later. Once he pushes his way into their room, Tao finds himself staring wide eyed at the most adorable situation to ever exist in the entire universe in his opinion.

Kris is laid out on his back, stomach up with a snoozing infant cuddled into him. Kris himself is also asleep, eyes closed and breathing calmly rocking the baby on his chest. Tao does take a moment to acknowledge just how dangerous this could be, and how if Kris turns over he’ll crush the poor child, but it’s still so sweet! Tao makes sure to take lots and lots of photos, most of which he posts to his Instagram and sends to his sister and mother. Afterwards, Tao very carefully removes his niece from Kris’s sleeping body and puts her down in her carrier to nap peacefully. Tao turns then to skip over to Kris’s body, smiling giddily to himself as he situates himself into Kris’s side, not wanting to squish his baby by laying on his side. “Kris,” Tao coos, loving the way the elder crinkles his nose in his sleep. “Kris, wake up!” Tao says again, this time rubbing a circle on Kris’s shoulder to try and get him to rise from his dreams.

Kris groggily sits up, rubbing his eyes with the hand that isn’t currently enveloping Tao’s shoulders lovingly. “What time is it?” He murmurs, glancing around as his eyes fall to his lap suddenly. He looks up, his eyes wide and startled, “Tao! Crap Tao the baby!” Kris starts scrambling on the bed, trying but failing to leave the sheets due to his panic. “I lost the baby!” Tao takes a few moments to laugh as Kris starts digging around in the comforter, like the child he’s been watching is just going to pop up out of nowhere. “Kris, calm down the baby is fine.” Tao reassures after having his fun, pointing over to where he had placed the carrier earlier. Kris sighs in relief and gets up, calmly this time, to walk over to where the baby is sleeping, picking the child up slowly to bring her over to Tao’s side on the bed.

Tao smiles, hands resting on his own stomach as he watches Kris carry a baby, and in a few months it could very well be their own child that he carries.


“Kris.”

“Mother.”

“Kris.”

“Mother.”

“Well?”

“Well?”

“If you’ve come here to mock me than be on your way boy.”

“Mother, you know I wouldn’t come to see you just for that.”

“Yes, sadly.”

“Mother, please…”

“And what did I say about calling me mother? It’s Lea.”

“Uh, yes…Lea.”

“Fine, now what is it?”

“Right, well it’s about Tao.”

“Oh, the poor boy. You’ve gone and ruined him, completely! How is he supposed to leave you if he’s carrying your child?”

“He wasn’t leaving me…”

“That’s what we all want to think. I know a runner when I see one, and that’s him! Either way, people either marry the right person or they don’t, trust me I know.”

“Moth- Lea, Tao’s not going to leave me. Can we please just discuss what I came to see you for?”

“Fine, fine, what is it then? Come on, spit it out.”

“Right, well… I wanted to ask for your permission to marry Tao.”


Tao is sitting with his friends; Baekhyun, Kyugnsoo, and Sehun in a restaurant. They decided to get some lunch together before Tao starts becoming too preoccupied with the baby and the pregnancy to have a nice lunch. His stomach is showing a little now, but he’s not obviously pregnant, which leads to both some compliments, congratulations and some serious weight insecurities. Tao’s friends reassure him that it’s normal to look like he does, and that he’s beautiful no matter what, but he’s oddly emotional and he can’t stop thinking about getting larger than he is now. Still, they manage to control him as they sit down to order.

“So, how is everything with Kris then? Is he taking the pregnancy well?” Kyungsoo asks, sipping on his drink lazily as he props his elbows up on the table. Baekhyun sends him a little glare, but props his own arms up afterwards. “Yeah,” Tao says, smiling quietly to himself as he thinks about Kris and his niece again, “He’s actually getting into the parenting stuff a little. Just the other day he offered to come with me to look at baby cribs.” “I’m surprised he even knew what a crib was.” Sehun snorts. Tao ignores the comment though and starts daydreaming about Kris and him the past week out shopping together. “So what about the other stuff, you know, not relating to a baby.” Kyungsoo shoves Tao’s ribs jokingly, and the boy looks around confused. “What, like our rent and stuff? Yeah, I mean he always pays on time…” Sehun snorts again, and everyone glares, “No, like…you know.” The three boys’ eyes look to Tao expectantly, and his eyes slowly widen in understanding. “You guys!” He shrieks with face blushing deep red, “Don’t ask that kind of stuff!”

“Well, how is it?” Sehun blurts out after they’ve all finally calmed down, and Tao’s cheeks flare up again. “It’s fine.” He mumbles, reaching for his drink while the waiter comes to set down their meals. “Wait, have you guys even like, done anything yet?” this earns Baekhyun a smack to his head curtsey of Kyungsoo. “Well duh, how else would he be pregnant you idiot?” “No, I meant after that.” Baekhyun defends. Everyone quiets down again, once more Tao finds all eyes on him. He sighs, defeated, “I mean, we’ve done some…stuff…but we haven’t gone all the way since I found out I was pregnant.”

“That’s cruel, how could you hold out on him? It’s perfectly safe Tao.” Kyungsoo informs him to which Tao whines, “I know that. It’s Kris that’s holding out on me! My body is very needy at this point, but he just leaves me hanging here! He says he doesn’t want to risk anything.”

“Risk my , he’s risking his masculinity if he keeps on like that.”


“Oh, look at my darling baby!”

“He’s really grown so well.”

“Oh, you’re such a lucky mother!”

“I’m jealous, my sons just a good for nothing lawyer.”

“Yes, well we’ve always been a fertile family.”

Tao coughs up the water he’s currently sipping at his mother fertility comment, practically choking on his drink as Kris caresses his back to try and sooth him. “Mother,” Tao grits out, bring the attention away from the chattering group of woman and over to him, “I understand you’re excited but, this is my baby shower, isn’t it?” Tao knows his mother has always been a little bit of an attention hog, but he still loves the woman. He just wishes she’d stop acting like she was the one to give birth and not him. He’s eight months pregnant for god’s sake, the way she keeps sobbing about babies is starting to get to him in his hormonal state.

Tao mother stiffens a little at his comment and clears , glancing around for a second. “Ah, yes well, why don’t we open presents?!” She distract all of her elderly friends rather easily, and Tao’s own companions, his oddly smug sister included, all gather around him as he reaches for a large sized box covered in pink baby bottles. Kris and he had decided to keep the gender of the baby a secret until they had finally received their little bundle of joy, but to be honest they both agreed early on that they really wanted to have a girl. Tao of course wanted to paint the room before hand, but he hates general neutral colors, so he may or may not have taken a peek at the doctor’s office without Kris knowing… of course, Tao found himself with the results of a baby girl, so being sure that Kris didn’t find out until he gave birth, Tao made sure to tell all of his friends to buy girl clothes for his shower. He’d just pretend he didn’t know.

“Guys, you know we said nothing gender specific.” Kris mumbles as Tao rips at the wrapping paper, eyes shining like a child’s on Christmas. No one really cares though about what Kris is saying because Tao is too busy squealing at the giant teddy bear inside the box, which also happens to have a printed bear pacifier sewn onto the bear’s paw, like it’s offering it out to whoever is holding it. “Kris look!” Tao cries, clutching the toy to his chest excitedly, “Oh, it’s so cute!” He cheers, one hand securing the bear while the other digs through the box for a card. It turns out to be from Kris’s work bubby Jongdae and his husband, who explain that their own son loved that style toy when they were first born.

Tao starts rambling about how all the cute photos of his little baby their going to have with this bear, so in the meantime Kris eases the box from his lap and hands him a new gift. Tao tears through ten or more of the gift bags, happily cheering at each cute little outfit or sweet toy. He and his boyfriend receive come personal gifts as well, including a babysitting coupon from Kyungsoo, who claims that while it’s important to bond with your child, it’s even more important to bond with your lover after having a baby. This earns a few hoots and a deep blush from Tao, but none the less he’s rather glad that he’s received the gift.


“Oh my god.”

“Kris…”

“Oh my… Tao look!”

“Yes Kris, I see her.”

“No, look at her eyes, they’re so pretty.”

“Kris her eyes are closed.”

“Well, they were really pretty before she closed them…”

“You’re going to wake her, just come sit with me and let her rest, she needs it the way you’ve been jumping around with her everywhere.”

Kris obeys his husband’s command, leaving the crib in the hospital room’s corner to sit beside Tao’s bed. Their daughter is officially 15 hours old, and Kris felt the need to celebrate, just like he did at the 14th hour, and the 13th, and every hour before then. Tao feels exhausted just watching his fiancé, yes, there is a ring on his finger now, jump around his daughter like a hyper toddler, always singing and dancing and talking non-stop to their mostly sleeping daughter. It’s still sweet the way Kris’s eyes shine when he holds their baby in his arms, showing her off to every person who happens to pass by the door to Tao’s hospital room.

Tao still couldn’t believe that he’s about to get married, that Li Hua, that’s what Kris’s insisted on naming her, had finally been brought into their lives. It was like everything was falling into place. It was all perfect.

“Baby, what are you thinking about?”

Tao glances up from his thought to find Kris's hands clasped around his oddly cold palms warmly.

“Hmm, nothing much, just everything I guess…”

“Oh, alright.”

There’s a silence that invades their minds for a while, both just dreaming happily of their life to come.

“You know I love you, right?” Kris’s voice is almost at a chocked whisper when he speaks up.

“Yeah,” Tao’s eyes are shining with tears, happy ones, as he look to his fiancé, “I love you too.”


Awe! I was choking myself up at the end, I don't know what happed but I suddenly got all of these emotions stuffed down my throat, and I couldn't ignore the beautiful fluff! Lol, seriously though I hope you loved it, cause Taoris as parents are pretty much the greatest things on the planet. <3