Mid-February [BtoB; Hyunsik]

Ten-Minute Tales

 

“So, babe, what do you think about...February?”

 

Hyunsik looked up from his laptop and tilted his head, confused, his floppy hair falling to the side. “It’s a short month? Uhhh...why do you want to know?”

 

You waved your hands in front of your face. “No reason, no reason…” you mumbled, biting your lip in thought. February, huh? Hyunsik had already returned to his work, typing quickly away, seemingly innocent of all the thoughts racing through your mind. You and Hyunsik had been dating for less than a year now, and this would be your first Valentine’s Day together. You’d hoped to do something special together, but...that was if Hyunsik cared about Valentine’s. You slid off of the chair as you walked back to the living room to think, mumbling to yourself as your mind ran through potential plans of action, not noticing Hyunsik watching you leave.

 

-----

 

A week had ticked by and you were getting increasingly worried. You’d left Hyunsik several hints (some incredibly not subtle) by wearing pink three days in a row, slowly increasing the amount of flowers around the apartment, and leaving heart-shaped chocolate laying on the table. Hyunsik had simply raised his eyebrows and noted that you were very ready for spring before grabbing the chocolate off of the counter and scarfing it all down. You swore you were ready to pull your hair out in frustration. How could one person be that dense?!

 

It was time for Plan D. If this didn’t work, you were going to give up and just resign yourself to the fact that your boyfriend just wasn’t interested in Valentine’s Day. After all, there were only three days left before the holiday itself.

 

The next day, you bought a cute little teddy bear and brought it back to the apartment, setting it very obviously on the middle of the dining room table. It was holding a red heart and would say “I love you” if you pressed its tummy. It was freaking adorable, and most importantly, was obviously a Valentine’s Day gift. Even Hyunsik couldn’t mistake it for anything else, right?

 

By the time Hyunsik got home you had made him a nice, warm meal of spaghetti in meat sauce. You could tell that he’d had a frustrating day as he rubbed his eyes and kicked off his shoes, but as soon as he saw you and the dinner you’d prepared, his face broke into his signature grin. Hyunsik walked over and wrapped you in a hug, kissing you gently on the top of your head. “Thanks for cooking tonight, love. It’s been a stressful day.”

 

You nodded and pushed him away gently. “Eat now before it gets cold! We can hug later!” Hyunsik laughed and sat down, and as you ate, he surveyed the bear sitting in the middle of the table.

 

“Is that for me?”

 

You nodded and pushed it towards him. “A present for you!”

 

Hyunsik picked the bear up and patted its head. “Aww, what’s the occasion? I know…”

 

You held your breath in anticipation, waiting to hear the V-D words coming out of his own mouth.

 

“...it’s an early birthday present! Aww, babe, you didn’t have to. There’s still less than a month to go!”

 

You couldn’t help but let out a sigh of defeat, mentally throwing your hands in the air. “Do you like it?”

 

Hyunsik grinned and nodded, placing it on his lap for the rest of the meal as he practically slurped up the spaghetti. You ate slowly, feeling your excitement dwindle away. You were lucky enough to have the day off on Valentine’s Day, which meant you could sleep in, eat chocolate, do a face mask, and watch a romantic movie by yourself. Hyunsik apparently had no interest, but that wouldn’t stop you from enjoying the day yourself.

 

-----

 

You awoke groggily on the morning of the 14th, feeling Hyunsik sit up besides you. Grumbling to yourself, you pulled the blankets back around your body as he got out of the bed.

 

“I’m heading to work, honey. Don’t you want to kiss me goodbye?” Hyunsik leaned over and put his body weight on you. You groaned in response.

 

“Let me sleep! I barely ever get a day off...I’m spending this one relaxing.”

 

Hyunsik chuckled and pressed a gentle kiss to your forehead. “Have a good day off!”

 

After Hyunsik left, you slept in for another hour and a half and slowly got out of bed, tossing on your most comfortable day-off clothes. You grabbed the box of chocolate you’d hidden on top of the refrigerator (away from Hyunsik’s grabby hands) and plopped down on the couch, choosing one of the cheesiest romantic comedies you owned.

 

After finishing that movie, you stretched and stood up, looking for some ramyun to make for lunch. After opening all of the cabinets in the kitchen, you groaned as you realized that Hyunsik had eaten the last pack yesterday. Sliding on your shoes, you grabbed your wallet and headed to the nearest convenience store.

 

You mumbled a greeting to the clerk at the checkout desk as you shuffled into the aisle with the ramyun, seeing your favorite brand right at the end. Squatting down, you reached out to grab the nearest pack, something small fluttering off of the top as you did so. Raising your eyebrows, you grabbed the small slip of folded-over paper that had your name on it.

 

Look at the back of the store for the roses <3

 

You narrowed your eyes suspiciously and flipped the paper over, but there was no indication of who had left it. Standing back up, you headed to the back of the store and immediately spotted a red rose with a ribbon and a piece of paper tied to its stem.

 

Go two blocks down the street to the little cafe, and show them this rose. Don’t worry, I already paid for the rose ;)

 

You snorted, shaking your head. Half of you was definitely suspicious of whomever was leaving you messages, but the other half of you was curious enough to go with it. Paying for the ramen and heading out the door with the rose, you found a small cafe about where the note had said it would be. Entering, the worker at the counter bowed and pulled a box out from behind the counter, handing it to you

 

“This is for you, I believe.”

 

You thanked them slowly, staring at the box in curiosity before sitting down at a nearby table. Pulling the note off of the top, you read it as you opened the box.

 

A sweet treat for a sweet person :P

 

You giggled to yourself as a beautiful slice of cake was revealed, immediately grabbing the plastic fork inside the box and digging in. Even if this “mysterious” person wasn’t who you thought it was, there wasn’t a high chance that they’d poison you, right?

 

You took the first bite of cake and closed your eyes in happiness, savoring the sweetness against your tongue. Suddenly, hands slid over your eyes. You barely managed to stifle a squeak of surprise, and panic quickly ran through you as you thought about how to get out of the situation. However, the hands felt warm and familiar, and you relaxed slowly.

 

“Hyunsik?”

 

The hands dropped from around your eyes and you tilted your head back to meet his eyes. He smiled a wide, gummy smile and pressed a kiss to your forehead.

 

“Surprise?”

 

You shook your head in mock disappointment. “You’re not supposed to scare your girlfriend half to death, dummy.”

 

Hyunsik scratched the back of his head awkwardly and took a seat across from you. “Err...sorry? You knew it was me, though!”

 

You aimed a gentle kick at him under the table and took another bite of cake. “Not at first, though! You could’ve been anyone! Also, I thought you had a photoshoot today?”

 

Hyunsik shook his head. “I have the day off, actually, so I thought I’d spend my Valentine’s Day with you.”

 

You narrowed your eyes at him. “You knew.”

 

Hyunsik laughed into his hand, his eyes curving upwards. “It was pretty hard to forget, with you reminding me every second and all…”

 

A flush ran over your cheeks as you stuffed another bite of cake into your mouth. “I thought you were just exceedingly dense!”

 

The next few seconds passed in a peaceful silence, you eating cake and Hyunsik watching you, chin resting on his linked hands. Once the slice was finished, Hyunsik stood and held a hand out to you, pulling you up to him.

 

“Are you ready to see the rest of your presents?”

 

As you slid your fingers between his and headed out the door, you smiled to yourself and decided that he wasn’t half bad, after all.

-----

probably should've actually written this in February and not a month later but ohhhhhhhh welllll