13

Confessions of a Not-So-Average
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I woke up to the loud noise of clashing pots and pans. I turned to my side before slinging an arm over my ear to prevent more noise from leaking in. “Gosh, it’s so loud,” I groaned into a cushion. “Shut up!” I said, feeling my temples throbbing already. A wave of pain flooded my entire body before I identified the source of the pain.

            I was hung over.

            And those loud pots and pans didn’t do much to ebb the pain away. “Aish,” I muttered under my breath before throwing the nearest cushion to the source of the sound. “Why are you guys so freaking loud? Let me sleep!” I had my eyes still closed before I realized why I was hung over and where I was last conscious…

            “OH! ! SEHUN, YOU ER!” I practically shot up, wide-eyed.

            Observing the area around me, I was startled to find out I was in my own living room. Both my father and mother were disapprovingly glaring at me while my grandma was devilishly smiling in the background. She held up the pots and pans, proving to be the source of all that ruckus. “Grandma!” I groaned, immediately falling back into the cushioned couch.

            “Kang Hye Su,” my mother said in her commanding voice, “Get your a.ss up. We need to talk.”

            “Yeah,” my father said, with his arms crossed, “You took over my spot on the couch last night. I basically had nowhere to sleep because I couldn’t sleep in my room since somebody was occupying it.” Obviously he was implying that my mother had yet again, kicked him out of their joint bedroom and left him to fend for himself. Now my father was a grouchy couch potato, especially since I took his not-so-comfortable sofa bed.

            “You kids are so selfish,” my grandmother dropped the pots and pans and came rushing to my side. I breathed in a sigh of relief, knowing that my grandma would come to the rescue and take my side. But when she placed a hand on my forearm, she began to speak of the topic I dreaded the most. “So who was that boy who brought you home last night?” I surmised she was asking of Sehun, since he was the last person I made contact with. Even in my half-awake, hung-over state, I could tell that Oh Sehun was on the road to replace Wu Yi Fan’s special place in my grandma’s heart.

            “He’s just a colleague,” I yawned into my hand. “Grandma, can you make me soup? My head’s throbbing.” Immediately a hand came crashing upon both my grandma and I. It was my mother.

            “Serves you right for drinking so much! I could hardly recognize you last night, and you almost puked on my favorite rug!” My mother threw up her hands in surrender. “Do you even remember how much this rug cost me?” She gestured towards the rug that was beneath her feet.

            “Oh be quiet, Hye Soon.” my grandmother shook her head, “Hye Su did puke, but just be thankful it wasn’t in our house. It was in that nice boy’s nice car.” The amount of “nice” in that one sentence overwhelmed me. Clearly, nice did not pair nicely with Sehun’s name.   

            “Anyway,” my grandma smiled, with her focus on me again, “Don’t forget you have a blind date in about…half an hour!”

            I began to pout, already pulling my cutesy card to convince my grandmother otherwise. “Grandma, you know I’m not feeling well and so…”

            My grandma rose from her seat beside me. “Ho Joon, did you hear someone say something? I couldn’t hear anything. It must be a ghost. Hye Soon, Ho Joon, let’s go to the kitchen and make some food for Hye Mi and her family.” With that said, my parents obediently followed my grandma into the kitchen, leaving me to sulk in the living room.

            “AHHHH!” I hollered out loud in frustration.

            It’s all Sehun’s fault! He’s going to pay back, big time.

 

            Half an hour later with my makeup and hair fixed, I arrived at the town’s bakery which was famous for selling the best cheesecakes and macrons in Seoul. It was a bit of an exaggeration, but since it was so near where I lived and worked, I had to agree that they made pretty good desserts because it was the only thing nearby work. On the bright side, it seemed as if the blind date had the same preference as me since he did suggest meeting here in the first place. It made me have higher expectations for this date since I believed that sharing one common interest could be the beginning to a blossoming relationship.

            Just then, my grandmother rang my phone. I automatically picked up, hoping that my grandmother would provide some source of entertainment while I waited on my blind date. “Hello?”

            “Hye Su-ah! Since you basically had no time to chat this morning, I just wanted to remind you a few things before you start on your blind date.” My grandma paused. “Wait, he isn’t there yet, is he?”

            “No, not yet,” I said, toying with the straw wrapper.

            “Perfect!” My grandma exclaimed happily. “I was contemplating whether to let you go on this blind date or not. That boy who brought you home last night seemed pretty perfect to me, Hye Su. I was considering to ask him to stay behind, but I decided not to in the end.” I thanked the heavens for that choice, because it would not be a pleasing sight to see Sehun sprawled over my bed the following morning.

            “I just wanted to tell you that you should try you hardest with this blind date, Hye Su. You know your parents are having extreme issues right now in their relationship.” I mentally added in, what’s new? I redirected my attention on my grandma’s voice. “But per say you do get married, you’ll help them avoid their divorce. This is wrong of me to say this, Hye Su-ah, but please understand. Don’t do it just for the sake of yourself, but also for the family too.”

            “I’ll try my best, Grandma,” I heard myself say. As I got off the phone, someone had slipped into the seat in front of me. I inwardly cursed – I didn’t even have time to check my makeup or flatten my hair. When I looked up with the sweetest smile on my face, my smile immediately faltered.

            Oh …no freaking way.

            “Why are you here?” I said, glaring at his seemingly harmless face. My head was beginning throb again. It was better this morning when my grandmother fed me her soup, but it seemed as if Sehun was the poison that always evoked pain within my body. Damn him! I cursed.

            “I’m surprised you’re not hungover,” Sehun smirked, returning back to his normal, jerk-like state. “You drank quite a lot yesterday, not to mention you barfed in my car.” I immediately drew my hand to my mouth, horrified by his words.

            “You’re…you’re joking right?” When I first heard that I had barfed in Sehun’s foreign car, I honestly believed my grandma was bluffing. But unfortunately, it seemed as if it really did happen. And because of that, I felt extremely guilty as a result. But the guilt soon subsided once I realized that my hungover was a result of spending time with Sehun.

            “The reason I was late today was because I had to take my car to the washer’s. It left such

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter