Afterlife

Afterlife

Requested by Araminna

The night air is cool with minimal breeze; the atmosphere, though dark, is inviting. Each ghostly figure has a mutual feeling, nervousness. Like a thousand butterflies tickling your stomach; or the anxious feeling of thinking about the unknown; these are the sensations of passing between worlds; and once you’ve begun, there’s no stopping.

“My mom told me when I was young, that if I ever felt I was dying before my time; I shouldn’t go into the light. And then she did and left me alone; now, with my love at my side I will do the same.” Chanyeol says in the dark; he’s still holding Baekhyun’s hand and moving forward. The four had walked to literally nothing, directly from the graveyard; neither of them knew where they were going but each knew what was to come.

“Where are Hongbin and N?” Onew asks, looking around; the four hadn’t noticed the two suddenly missing.

“They’ve been dead a while, they probably didn’t need to pass judgement” Dead Bride says shrugging.

“Dead Bri—I’m mean Avalon, despite your intentions, are you going to hell?” Baekhyun asks suddenly; that question had been the elephant in the room for those who knew her backstory.

“I don’t know” she says quietly, stopping in her tracks. She looks to the side and sees a red light crack through the surface of the atmosphere; as if some sort of portal was opened. “Well, this is me” she says walking to towards the opening. Onew reaches out for her but is held back by Chanyeol; a single tear escaping each of their eyes.

“Now what do we do?” Baekhyun asks breaking the silence. The darkness still surrounds the three as they begin to shiver.

“Look’ Chanyeol says, for ahead of them, not too far, is a white light. The surface of the atmosphere creeks open to let the light in; he wasn’t certain, but Chanyeol thought he could hear music.

“Maybe we shouldn’t” Onew says nervously. “I mean people always tell you, don’t go into the light”

“You’re right; they did, when they didn’t want us to die. But our time has come, fellas” Chanyeol says leading the way. “Unless, you have some unfinished business”

“Well I would’ve like to have been buried with my chicken” Onew says following after. Baekhyun rolls his eyes and sticks closely to Chanyeol.

“You guys ready? On the count of three, we jump” Chanyeol says at the edge of the dark; the crack has grown to fit all three boys snuggly as they look ahead. The light is too bright for them to see anything but a white room so far.

“1…2…3” Chanyeol calls before all three jump through the crack and fall a few feet into the white room.

“Is this heaven?” Onew asks standing in the room; it’s rather small to be heaven, how does everyone fit in here?

“This can’t be heaven” Chanyeol says pressing his hands to the wall. “It’s an ordinary white room”

“Correct” A voice says. “Although we do have another name for it. Welcome to the room of judgement” A man in white says entering the room. “Let’s see, who do we have here, Park Chanyeol” he says checking his clipboard.

“Yes sir” he says walking to the man, Baekhyun closely behind.

“You seem to be all clear, but I’m afraid it’s not your time to be up here, shall I send you back? I’m sure your family is worried.” The man says looking over a few more papers.

“No, I…I chose to come here” Chanyeol says, trying to sound convincing; he didn’t regret the choice he made, so why did no one else see it that way?

“But why? You have your whole life ahead of you; you have no debt that would cost your life” he says pushing his glasses up the bridge of his nose.

“That’s what I said” Baekhyun says pushing Chanyeol playfully. “But the big goof wouldn’t listen to me”

“Guys, there isn’t anything wrong with my decision; can you just tell if I made it into heaven or not?” Chanyeol asks impatiently.

“I suppose, you have no faults that say otherwise; please step over here” the man in white says gesturing to a glass pod, how had the boys not seen that before. Chanyeol steps inside, looking a bit like a fly trapped under and upside down glass.

“You boys may want to cover your eyes” the man says putting on goggles. Onew and Baekhyun shut their eyes tight as a bright light fills the room and seeps through their eyelids. The light lasts a moment before the room goes back to normal; Onew and Baekhyun open their eyes and stare in awe at Chanyeol. His shirt somehow disappeared, but on his back where there weren’t before, were a pair of pristine white feathered wings.

“Next, Byun Baekhyun, your tampering with evil spirits didn’t go unnoticed, however it is forgiven because of your general wellbeing and help given to Miss Avalon. You may step into the pod” the man says as Baekhyun trades places with Chanyeol.

“Whoa, these are really neat” Onew marvels at Chanyeol’s wings; soft to the touch and nearly weightless. The boys close their eyes once more as light fills the room only to disappear, leaving Baekhyun with a pair of wings as well.

“Lastly, Lee Jinki, or Onew, is it?”

“Yes sir”

“You caused much destruction of property as well as ending a life; you also tampered with the spirit world twice, knowing the consequences of your actions; however, since half of your sins were committed under demonic possession, you’re going to have to come with me.” The man says walking out of the room with Onew, leaving the other two alone in the white room.

“Great, now what?” Baekhyun asks giving his new wings a good flap; not a moment too soon. Suddenly the floor opens like a trap door, as Chanyeol and Baekhyun are dropped into somewhere unknown.

“A warning would’ve been nice” Baekhyun shouts to the clouds above. The two had landed on a giant cloud and were slowly drifting away.

“This is weird” Chanyeol say looking below on a green valley. The place looked quite magical, with the colour palette bright and the sun shining bright; at least Chanyeol thought it was the sun.

“Yeah, why give us wings when we can transport via cloud?” Baekhyun says, once again speaking too soon as the boys are dropped once more.

“You need to stop doing that” Chanyeol shouts as the two fall from the great height of the cloud.

“Stop doing whaaaaaaaaaaaat?” Baekhyun cries as he falls faster than Chanyeol; the boys wings are open, providing a slight parachute. He dives down further grabbing on to his friend and flapping his wings.

“It is about time” Baekhyun snaps as Chanyeol carries him higher.

“Yeah, about time you lost weight” he says trying to hold tight to Baekhyun’s torso. “Hold yourself up”

Baekhyun opens his wings and begins to fly on his own. The feeling is incredible, it’s like that dream you always had as a kid where you were falling; but instead of the part where you crash and jolt awake, you catch yourself go higher than before.

The two race around the mountains, close to the water and exploring the place; heaven seemed amazing, there was so much to see, so many places to go; and then there’s the white area. Chanyeol first stumbled upon this place when he tried to get closer and hit the invisible force field. Chanyeol lands in a heap on the grass below, catching the eye of a particular woman in the distance.

“What the heck?” He groans dusting himself off.

“Chanyeol, are you okay?” Baekhyun asks running to him.

“I’m fine; I just wanted to see what was over there.” Chanyeol says pointing to the white across a clear stream. It’s as if the canvas ended in the world they were in, all the colour, gone. The houses were white, the clothing people wore was white, what happened over the river?

“Chanyeol?” A woman’s voice says; making the boy’s ears perk. He looks behind himself, to see a very familiar woman peeking out from the side of the cliff.

“Mother?” she nods stepping closer, looking as delicate as the day she left him. “I missed you” he cries embracing his mother.

“I missed you too, my son”

“Mother, I’d like you to meet someone; this is Baekhyun” Chanyeol says taking Baekhyun’s hand. “He’s the one I came here for”

“It’s a pleasure to meet you”

“My, my, you’re so young” she says examining the boy.

“Yes, it’s a long story, but we’re here now; forever” Chanyeol says pecking the boy’s lips.

“Yes” Chanyeol’s mother says, her smile fading slightly.

“What is it?” Chanyeol asks, suddenly becoming anxious.

“I’m sure you’ll be together…later” Chanyeol’s mother seems hesitant, worrying both boys.

“What are you talking about?” Baekhyun asks.

“That land over there,” she begins, pointing to the white area. “Is where we’ll be soon. I learned not to long ago, that this place is only for those in transition; soon all three of us will be re-born as angels and will take our place in society; we’ll lose our wings and regain them either working for a higher power or serving humans as guardian angels.”

“That doesn’t sound so bad” Chanyeol says, staring off at the bland location.

“When we get re-born, will we get to stay together?” Baekhyun asks turning to Chanyeol.

“I honestly, have no idea” Chanyeol’s mother says sighing. “I don’t know when this will happen or what is to follow; but for now, let us not worry, besides there are some people who would like to see you.” The boys follow behind Chanyeol’s mother to a house up on a small grassy hill.

“Boys~” Chanyeol’s mother calls at the door. Ken is the first to race down the stairs.

“Chanyeol!” he says jumping into the boy’s arms. “Didn’t expect to see you here”

“What’d you think I’d let you guys have all the fun up here?” Chanyeol teases, a huge smile plastered across his face.

“N, get down here” Ken calls; the gang hears a crash upstairs, before N, Ravi and Hongbin, stumble over each other down the stairs.

“Hey, Chanyeol’s here” Ravi says the next to jump on the boy.

“Hey, buddy, we missed you” Hongbin jokes, since it had been merely a few hours since they last saw each other. Leo and Hyuk are the last down the stairs, everyone seems generally pleased; that is, everyone but N.

“You were supposed to stay on earth and live your life” N says shaming Chanyeol. “But, it is nice to see you” he finishes, his face softening. Everyone sits on the couch, catching up on what was very little to know. Nonetheless, everyone was happy to see Chanyeol, even if they would have felt less guilty watching over him from heaven.

“Chanyeol~” a sweet voice calls from another room. Chanyeol gets up from the couch and sees a glow in the hall way. There in a freshly white wedding gown, was Avalon, former Dead Bride.

“Avalon, you look beautiful” he marvels at her dress.

“Thank you, you don’t look too shabby yourself” she curtsies. “But I’m not the only one here to see you” she says turning to reveal Onew.

“I was one sin away from hell but they approved of me”

“That’s amazing” Chanyeol says hugging the boy. “Come on, everyone’s in the living room” Onew doesn’t need a second invitation; Chanyeol then notices, Dead Bride turning the other way.

“Where are you going, don’t you want to stay?” She smiles but shakes her head.

“I have my own family to be with now, but you’ll see me around” she says blowing a kiss before exiting down the hallway into the dark. Chanyeol walks back to the living room, still slightly in a daze. It was still strange to comprehend the fact that he ultimately was dead.

“Come sit” Baekhyun calls from the couch. Chanyeol obeys, taking the smaller boy onto his lap.

“Do you regret anything?” Baekhyun asks quietly, kissing Chanyeol’s neck.

“No” he answers, taking the boy’s chin and kissing his lips.

“Aw how sweet” Chanyeol’s mother coos.

“Eww” Hyuk teases, loudly.

“I love you” Baekhyun says with a smile.

“I love you too” Chanyeol smiles back, pecking his lips again. Chanyeol was ultimately happy, nothing could make this moment anymore perfect. If only his father could see how happy he was now.

“Get a room”

 

Hello fellow readers,

I’m going to give you a link to this story, it’s called Guardian Angel, it is not linked with this one but I could use some more readers and if you are curious as to what happens when you are re-born as an angel, than you will enjoy it: http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/706551/guardian-angel-adventure-romance-shinee-teentop-exo-angelsanddemons-heavenandhell

Otherwise thank you so much for supporting Here Comes The Bride, I had loads of fun writing it and reading your guys’ comments…so how’d I do? Did I scare you, if so, mission accomplished! If not, boo, I’ll have to try harder next time :)