Don't Wait For Me

Don't Wait For Me
"Gosh you're so selfish Kyuhyun! I don't even know why it surprises me anymore, you've always been this way. You always do what you want regardless of the way it affects the people around you."
I tried to argue back but Sungmin turned around and stomped towards our bedroom ignoring all my attempts to defend myself. He was absolutely not happy that I was considering the job proposal that I was offered today.
This morning my boss had called me into his office as soon as I arrived to work. Once I took a seat, he went straight to the point and offered me the management of one of his most famous restaurants for six months to test my capabilities and see if I was ready for a much bigger position. After leaving work today, I had been so excited that a bought a bottle of our favorite wine to celebrate. When I arrived home and gave Sungmin the news, he was thrilled! That until I told him it was in Paris.
I understood that he didn't want me to leave, I didn't want to either, but it was a great opportunity for me to show all my potential and maybe finally get a promotion. 
We've been married for two years and are thinking of adopting a child, but before that happens, I want to buy a house for us and move out of this apartment. I want our child to have a yard to play in and for us to able to have a pet too. For this to be possible, I need to get a job with a higher salary and this is the best opportunity.
Unfortunately, he didn't see it that way. He says we are fine the way we are now and that I don't need accept this job. 
The bad thing is that, the moment I received the offer, I immediately said yes, thinking that Sungmin would be okay with it. Oh how wrong I was.

 

 

A few hours later, after he calmed down, I told him the truth. There was no way in hiding it so I decided to be brave and face it sooner rather than later. And to make it worse, I had to leave tomorrow.
I thought that he would explode and start attacking me again but instead he just got up and locked himself in the bedroom. I tried to convince him to let me in but he wouldn't respond.
After about an hour, he walked out holding two suitcases, one in each hand, looking serious. He opened the door and placed them in the hallway. After putting them down he walked back in, leaving the apartment's door wide open.
"What are you doing Min?" I asked, still confused about his actions.
"I packed your things. Hurry, you don't want to miss your flight." he answered coldly, pushing me out of the way to continue his way.
"Minnie, stop. My flight leaves tomorrow and-I said stop!" I pulled him into my arms, forcing him to let go of the suitcases, and hugging him tight. "Min, don't do this to me. I know you're mad-no furious at me-but don't act this way. I don't want to leave with us fighting."
"What do you want me to do Kyu? You pretty much chose your job over me...it's not right! You're my family and family doesn't leave you from one day to the next or makes rash decisions only thinking of themselves and then expect everything to be just fine...I don't want you to leave Kyu. Stay..." he began sobbing and I just pulled him closer to me, it was the only thing I could do.
"I'm sorry Minnie, I can't. Maybe you can't see it now, but this is the best choice, you'll see. I promise to call you every day and-" he started struggling until he was able to pull out of my embrace.
"No! You CAN stay, you are just choosing not to. And since you're so eager to leave then just leave!" he yelled. He then turned around and locked himself in our room again.
I just stood stand there in the middle of the living room, staring at our bedroom door for a few minutes. By now all my luggage was lying around, so I pulled it back in and placed it in the living room and closed the front door. As soon as that was done, I went to sit against our bedroom door, my back and head resting against the dark wood. 
"Min, please open...I'm sorry..."
I pulled my legs to my chest and began sobbing at how things had turned out. This morning I had been so happy, ready to celebrate, and now I was regretting my decision and crying.
Such a roller coaster of emotions had exhausted me and soon I fell asleep, still sitting against the door.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

It was already 9am and Sungmin would still not come out of our room.
My flight would be leaving soon and I already had the cab's driver loading up my things into the taxi. I was just waiting for Sungmin so I could say goodbye. I had been knocking on the door since I woke up, begging for him to open it but it turned out to be useless. 
"Sir, everything is loaded and ready. If we don't leave now, we might miss you're flight, so we must hurry." said the cab driver.
"Yes, of course. Just give me a minute, I'll be down as soon as I say goodbye. Please go wait for me downstairs." I replied calmly as possible. After he left I turned back to the door.
"Min, I know you're listening. I need to leave now...I'm sorry. I love you so much Sungmin...please forgive me. And please, wait for me. Promise me you will wait for me...I'll return before you know it." I heard sobbing on the other side of the door and I couldn't help but to cry silently. I turned around, grabbed my coat and left.
I'm sorry Sungmin...

 

 

Two hours later I was already seated and the plane had left Seoul. I had tried calling Min many times but he never picked up my calls. 
I picked up my glass and was about to take another drink when I suddenly felt to full. I had probably drunk too much water while trying to calm my nerves and I felt the need to go relieve myself. I put my things to the side and stood up, heading to the bathroom.
After relieving myself, I was about to take a seat once again at my place, when the airplane's intercom was . I could see the flight attendant who was getting ready to speak looked nervous and had obvious tear stains on her face. She cleared  and began speaking.
"Good afternoon passengers. I'm sorry to inform that out airplane was kidnapped soon after taking off. The people who kidnapped the plane have been overpowered and taken into custody. Unfortunately, before this, several bombs in the plane were activated and will explode in four minutes...enough time to call your loved ones. We are truly sorry...and may God have mercy on us." she then turned off the intercom and left.
This can't be happening, it must be a sick joke! No no no no!!
People all around me began to panic or cry while others just closed their eyes or held their loved ones close. Others hurriedly took out their phones. That's when I realized what was really going on was not a sick joke, that it was real and I had to act now.
I have to call Minnie! I need to tell him that I'm sorry. I need to tell him that I love him...
I hurriedly dialed Minnie's number and waited, but still no one answered. I felt how I started to panic and I couldn't control my tears any longer, but I couldn't give up now! I redialed two more times and still nothing. By the third time I called I decided to waste no more time. 
"Hello, this is Sungmin's voicemail. Please leave your message"
I felt more tears spill as I heard my lovers voice sounding so cheerful, realizing It would be the last time I would hear it.
I tried to take a deep breath and clear my throat so I could speak clearly and hide how scared I really was.
"S-Sungmin, you are the best thing that has ever happen to me, you know that, r-right? I-I couldn't have asked for a better person to share my life with, you are the most perfect and b-beautiful being there is in this planet..." 
I began sobbing and rushed to finish my message. There wasn't much time left.
"M-Minnie, you w-were right, I sh-shouldn't have left. I'm sorry, p-please forgive me. I l-love you Sungmin...I love you s-so so much that even if I w-was offered another life, I'd still pick you...Be strong, I-I'll take care of you a-and I'll keep loving you from heaven, my love..."
"and p-please...don't wait for me." I finished, sobbing so much I could hardly breathe.
I closed my phone, disconnecting the call, and felt my tears rolling down my face. I closed my eyes and leaned my head back, waiting for the end to come.
Not a minute later, it arrived.

 

 

A/N: I didn't realize it was that short until I posted it, but I still hope you enjoyed it. :)

Please share your thoughts about the story! All comments are welcome. ^.^