Awesome

Awesome

He’s still struggling to realize that he’s a father now when they bring Yongguk home for the first time; he cradles the baby’s tiny body in his arms as Daehyun opens the front door with a swing, a wide smile on his face and his eyes twinkling proudly.

"Welcome home, Yongguk," he announces into the hall when Youngjae takes the first step inside ceremoniously, adding a little hop at the end to get rid of the nervousness crawling under his skin. Yongguk makes an odd baby noise and looks at him with those big dark eyes and Youngjae caresses the baby’s head carefully and smiles down at him; that’s it, he has a son now.

They set Yongguk in the middle of their king sized bed and lay down on either side of him, their smiles wide and their chests swollen with pride and excitement and a little bit of fear; their fingers are laced together and Daehyun trails the fingers of his other hand along the short line of Youngguk’s chubby arm.

"We’re responsible for him from now on," he states quietly, softly, as if being responsible for an entire human being’s life isn’t a totally horrifying thing. Youngjae bites on the inside of his cheek and tears his eyes from the baby looking at him like he’s some sort of big yellow bird in favor of looking at his husband.

It takes a while for him to say it because he doesn’t want to sound horrible and all, but he needs to let it out. “I’m.” His voice catches and he clears his throat awkwardly, scratching at the side of his neck, “I’m not sure I can do that. I’m actually 99% sure I’ll make a mistake somewhere and we’ll end up with a serial killer as our son.”

The laughter that escapes Daehyun is short lived when he sees the actual fear in the younger’s eyes and then his hold on Youngjae’s hand tightens and his brings it up to his lips, kissing the knuckles one by one and Youngjae feels the heat creeping up his neck.

"You’ll do great, Youngjae," the older says eventually. "I promise you we’ll do great. We’ll do awesome.”

Yongguk gurgles softly and Youngjae looks down at his son and takes him in; the big dark eyes, the small mop of dark hair on the top of his head, the tiny fingernails at the end of his tiny fingers and the tiny feet that kick around endlessly, and he’s in love with this tiny miracle of a baby with such intensity he feels like screaming from a mountaintop.

He bends down and presses a kiss to Yongguk’s chubby cheek and the baby gurgles again and he actually sounds pleased; that, or Youngjae has gone insane.

"Yeah," he agrees softly once he manages to look away from his son and look at his smiling husband instead. "I guess not raising a serial killer will make us awesome."

And Daehyun smiles and laughs and leans forward until their lips meet and this kiss is new- it feels like confidence and determination and Youngjae smiles against Daehyun’s lips and pulls him closer by the back of his neck, feeling a lot better than he did five minutes ago.

———

"He’s so tiny,” Daehyun marvels the morning after, Yongguk cradled in one arm and a bottle of milk in hand as he feeds the baby with the patience of a saint. Youngjae scoffs and scoops more Coco Puffs into his spoon; one night of calming down the screaming Yongguk and he’s already 476% done with everything.

"Trust me, this tiny thing can scream louder than you and me both," he snorts through a mouthful of cereal, and Daehyun has the audacity to wink at him, the bastard. Youngjae nearly throws his spoon at him, but then he remembers that he’s currently holding their day-old son, and he rethinks his decision. "But yes, he is indeed very tiny."

"Just look at those fingers!" Daehyun says enthusiastically, almost dropping Yongguk’s bottle due to overly-excited hand motions. "They’re smaller than an ant!"

Youngjae raises an eyebrow at that. “You do know an ant is actually way smaller—”

"And his tiny nose," the older continues to gush, "I could just eat it right off!"

"Please don’t eat our baby—"

"I bet he tastes delicious," Daehyun says suddenly, and there’s a manic gleam in his eyes that makes Youngjae shoot up and take Yongguk away from him, holding the baby close to his chest in a somewhat defensive pose.

"You’re not allowed to hold him from now on," he declares, and Daehyun rolls his eyes and puts the bottle down on the table, huffing and dropping his chin into a hand.

It’s quiet for a while; Youngjae watches Yongguk examine his father’s face in a sort of fascination that Youngjae finds adorable while Daehyun watches them both with a loving smile on his lips. He just feels proud.

"I feel like we’re off to a good start," he sighs contentedly, and Youngjae looks at him and smiles back with a nod.

They may be new to this and being responsible to an entire human being’s life may terrifying beyond words and babies may be able to scream really mothering loud when they want to, but he has confidence now.

They’ll do awesome.