Coming of Age

Lamia

Jaebum rushed through the town square careful to keep his head low and not be seen. Tightening his hood he griped the basket he carried tightly and continued to slither and brush by people who seemed oblivious to him. Nearing the edge of the town where town met forest he picked up his pace and disappeared into the darkness.

Once in the darkness of the forest Jaebum slowed his pace down to a normal stroll, taking his time walking. After a couple of minutes he neared his humble adobe or at least where it should be. To the eye what lay before was just like any other part of the forest but then Jaebum flicked his hand and his house appeared. A cozy one story house built out of stone stood before Jaebum. He quickly entered the house and flicked his hand again causing the house to disappear. Inside he was met with a destroyed house; the sitting room, the kitchen, the brewing room, everything. Meanwhile the culprit had tried to quietly blend into the wall when he noticed Jaebum enter the house.

"Yugyeom I know you're there. Now come and clean this mess up! What did you do anyway?"

 Avoiding the destruction that littered his house Jaebum managed to safely place his basket of goods on a nearby table. He quietly unpacked his basket while Yugyeom sulked and cleaned up the mess. Inside his basket there were oranges, freshly baked bread and other pastries.

“Yugyeom come here"

"But I'm not done cleaning up"

A flick of  his head and mess that had occupied the house disappeared. In its place was the neat interior that was always there.

Meanwhile Yugyeom had been picking up a broken glass ball shard in his hands. He yelped when the shard restored itself to its original spear shape "Ah! Hyung that scared me! Warn me next time" Whined Yugyeom as he gently placed the ball back into its claw legged stand.

"Hurry up, it’s important"

Yugyeom quickly crossed the sitting room until he was behind Jaebum.

"What is it, hyung?"

"Happy coming of age Yugyeom! You are officially 16 years old as of today and you can finally start your wizard training that you've been anxious about." Jaebum gave the younger a tight hug and showed him the valuables that he had bought in the market just for his coming of age.

"They're your favorite things to eat right? Now come on, eat up! I specially bought bread because of the stew you made!

Not letting Yugyeom put a word in Jaebum dragged him toward the kitchen so they could eat.

After they were done eating and had cleaned their dishes up Jaebum went to his room. Jaebum returned with a coffer and carefully placed it on the table. Inside silver littered it, bracelets, necklaces, rings, and earrings. Finally Yugyeom took notice.

"Hyung they're so pretty where did you get them?"

“Its jewelry passed down from witch to witch. When a witch or wizard starts their training they get to choose a piece of jewelry. Now, pick one.”

Yugyeom’s hand hovered over nothing in particular as he decided what to choose, it took some digging but he finally found what he was looking for. The earrings instantly caught Yugyeom’s eye. They were made out of some black metal, Yugyeom wasn’t sure. It had a small hoop and dangling from it was a long upside down triangle with three neat holes through it. Carefully picking them up Yugyeom told Jaebum “I like these.”

“Earrings? Are you sure? That means I have to pierce your ears.”

“I’m sure and yes I know you have to pierce them, I can take it.”

It wasn’t much, just pushing the pointed tip of the earring through Yugyeom’s soft plum ear. He squeaked in surprise but otherwise kept his mouth shut.

“Hyung can I have more than one piece of jewelry?”

“It depends on what you’ve accomplished as a witch, but sure. Not right now though, you’re barely a witch.”

All throughout the conversation Jaebum had rubbed some herbs on Yugyeom’s ear to keep the swelling down and prevent infections.

“Hey Yugyeom, now that I remember. What did to you to make the house a whole mess?”

“Ugh, would you look at that? It’s so late, I better go to sleep. Goodnight!”

Yugyeom rushed toward his room before Jaebum could ask any more questions regarding the house.