Do you know?

Behind Their Backs

...

“Hey, can’t you just don’t come home this week?”

     She waited for the other person to respond or say something but nothing came. Silence sat between them before the other girl on the other line spoke again.

“Why?”

“Just, don’t…”

“But why? Hey-”

“Nothing. Just because,”

“Taengoo, did I do something wrong?”

“No!  You didn’t.”

“Then?!”

    She was frustrated. She didn’t expect this when she decided to call the older girl instead she was expecting something more welcoming like excitement or whatnot. It has been two weeks since the last time they met and she couldn’t wait to see her soon. Thinking that the older girls would feel the same, she decided to contact her while she waited for someone to pick her up.

    As much as she liked to think like that, her sister seemed to feel the opposite when she told her to not come home. She thought her sister was the one that has been whining and complaining about her leaving the older girl alone at home and wanted her to come home as soon as possible.

“You know, Sica-yah… every time you come back, they’re really mean to me.”

There was a silent pause on the other line.

“What?”

“You! Every time you come home, they’ll always treat you better and forget about me.”

    Jessica almost laughed out loud at her sister’s whine but she managed to control herself and just let out a chuckle instead. She could tell that the girl on the other line was pouting and making faces.

“Is that the reason you don’t want me to come home?”

“Yeah…”

“But I miss you! And Oppa too!”

“I miss you too Sica, so damn much!”

“Then? You’re asking me to not come home just because of that? And we won’t get to see each other because of… this?”

    Taeyeon kept silent. She knew that she was stupid to ask Jessica to not come home when she was the one wanted to see her so badly. But she couldn’t stand the treatments she got whenever the blonde will get home. All the attentions will go to her and she’ll be left aside.

    She hated to admit it, but she felt hurt every time they ignore her and told her to do things that they don’t want Jessica to do. She understand that her sister wasn’t always home and rarely got the chance to get out from her dorm and spent the weekends with her family. But, they didn’t have to treat her like that, right?

“You’re mean, Taengoo.”

“I-I’m sorry…” she mumbled softly over the phone.

“I can’t believe you don’t want me to come home. Don’t you know how bad I want to see you? And I thought you will feel the same too!”

“I do, Sica! I swear I do! I just,”

    Taeyeon immediately explained herself. She sighed before continuing her sentence.

“I don’t know what came to me. *chuckle* What a fool. Sorry..?”

    There was a sudden beep on the other line and she knew that Jessica has just hung up on her. She bit her lip before letting out a sigh. She place the phone back to its’ place.

“I’m doomed.”

 

 

 

 

“Ahh! Nice to be home…”

     She threw her bag on the floor and plopped herself on the couch.  She looked around the house just to find there was no one there. She thought that at least Taeyeon would wait for her at front door but she was disappointed.

“Taeyeon-ah! We’re here, come and help Jessica to carry her bags!”

Jessica’s POV

     Mom shouted while placing down the grocery bags on the kitchen counter. They had shopped some things before picking me up from my dorm saying that we will have a big dinner tonight.

“Wait a minute!”

    I heard her replied from upstairs and my older brother walked in with my bags in his hands.

“Thanks, Oppa!”

“No problem Shika…” I laughed at him pretending to pronounce my name in a deep accent while he ruffle my hair messily.

    Not long after, I heard sound of footsteps running down the stairs and just as I had expected, it was Taeyeon who ran her way down. She had towel around her shoulder and her hair seemed to be kind of wet.

“Sorry Umma, I just finished taking my bath.”

“Its’ okay, your brother has helped her. You can help her to carry them upstairs, though. ”

 “Okay! Yah, Sica-yah! Let’s go!”

    She was all grinning and she grabbed my hand with hers before picking up my bags. My sister was so cute! I don’t think there’ll be any cuter sister in this world! Except me, of course.

     For me, she’s the greatest sister I’ve ever had because she was so caring and always take care of me although she could be over protective sometimes. But I don’t mind though. While Yunho, he was the best and the coolest brother you could ever have. You can say that I’m pretty lucky to have them both.

“Take a bath first while you wait for the dinner, Jessica.” Mom, shouted from the kitchen while we made our ways up. Taeyeon managed to ask Yunho to carry the rest of my bags to my room before we proceed on our ways up. He didn’t say anything but just gave us a nod and a thumb-up.

 

 

 

 

“Sica, eat this.”

    Mrs Kim put a piece of steamed chicken on Jessica’s plate and was going to sit back on her seat but Taeyeon suddenly said that she wants some too.

“Aish, I already put it down. Serve yourself Taeng.”

    She grumbled under her breath and pouted at her mom while she got herself some of the steamed chicken.

“Don’t make that face. You’re not a kid, Taeng.”

    Her father said when he realized that her oldest daughter was sulking over some small matter. He thought that she has already become much more mature but she was still the little kid she always use to be. Her father couldn’t believe that her oldest daughter was much more childish than her younger sisters. But he still liked it. Better than having his daughter to grow too mature and think that she can live on her own and somehow will be apart from him and the whole family.

    Taeyeon didn’t say anything but continue to eat her dinner. She threw Jessica who sat beside her a ‘you-see?’ glance before sighing and stood up to put her dish away.

“I’m done. I’m going first.”

     Her parents just nodded while her brother kept staring down to his phone and kept stuffing foods into his mouth. Meanwhile, Jessica stared at Taeyeon until she turned to climb the stairs and disappeared from her vision.