Maybe It's Not So Bad

Hufflepuff

Words: 4100

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Myungsoo muttered bitterly as he entered the gates of the best magical school in the United Kingdom. The UK, miles and miles away from South Korea, his birthplace. Why is the seventeen year old attending Hogwarts, you may ask? Because the few magical schools in Asia were mediocre compared to the school Myungsoo was currently attending. His family has been attending that school for generations. Well, one half of his family.

 

His mother comes from a very long line of purebloods, one of the few remaining pureblood families in current time, while his father comes from a long line of doctors and lawyers. His mother’s family was disappointed that she married a Muggle, but did nothing more than support her choice, throwing her a lovely, magical wedding(After a Muggle wedding, of course.), and showering her two sons in magical gifts from the day they were born to present.

 

As much as Myungsoo loved learning about magic, he hated the school. Now, he doesn’t hate it because of the teachers(He got along rather well with all of his professors.), and he doesn’t hate it because of the work they usually get(He actually enjoyed it.). No, he hated Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry because of the House he was in: Hufflepuff.

 

Growing up as a child, he has heard of all four houses from his magical family. For generations, relatives have been in either Slytherin, Ravenclaw, or Gryffindor. He’s never heard of anyone being part of the Hufflepuff House, his own mother being from Ravenclaw. Myungsoo expected to be in the same House as his mother, for he is rather intelligent, and if not, then Gryffindor, for he is proud of his bravery and courage. He’d like Slytherin more than Gryffindor, actually, but with being a half-blood, he wasn’t sure some of the kids in the House would accept him so easily.

 

Myungsoo was stunned when the Sorting Hat yelled ‘Hufflepuff!’ after a few seconds of muttering about which house to put him in on his first day. Myungsoo was so certain he would be in Ravenclaw or Gryffindor that he didn’t ask the Hat to put him in any house but Hufflepuff. Myungsoo didn’t know what to feel about being the first in years in his family to be put in such a useless House. Hufflepuff. What the are they known for?

 

Since his first year, Myungsoo hated his house, and did absolutely nothing to support them. He gained them a few points here and there for being a model student, but that was only because he was doing it for himself, so he can earn Prefect and maybe even Head Boy status. He got Prefect, but someone from Slytherin was better for Head Boy. During Quidditch season, Myungsoo would go to all games but Hufflepuff games. He felt it so embarrassing to be cheering for a House so stupid.

 

Myungsoo spent as much time as he could out of the Hufflepuff common room, spending a majority of it in the library, or maybe helping a teacher out of the goodness of his heart. His friends know of his hatred for his ‘family’ and understand why, even his Hufflepuff friends.

 

For years, Hufflepuff has been outshone by the other three Houses. Amazing witches and wizards, even those who have gone horribly bad, have come from those three Houses. Hufflepuffs turn out to be mediocre sorcerers in comparison, and the thought aggravated Myungsoo to no end.

 

Myungsoo wanted to do anything but sit with the rest of his House at their table, but he knew he must. ‘Just one more year,’ Myungsoo mentally reminded himself as he took a seat with his fellow Hufflepuffs. ‘Just one more year and you won’t ever have to come back.’ As Myungsoo took a deep inhale, then let out a loud exhale, he felt something poked him roughly in the middle of his spine. Turning his upper body to see who it was, he smiled when he met the eyes of his younger brother as he sat down with the Gryffindors.

 

“Yah, why are you poking me?” He asked Moonsoo in their native tongue. They were both fluent in English, but the older liked speaking in a language he knew most of the other students didn’t know.

 

“My way of saying hello,” Moonsoo replied cheekily. “I’m going to be annoying you more this year since it’s your last year. How does that feel, anyways? Knowing you’ll never come back to this school. Unless you want to work here….?”

 

“Psh, yea right,” Myungsoo scoffed. “I wouldn’t dream of coming back. You know how much I hate being here.”

 

“You only hate being in Hufflepuff,” Moonsoo pointed out. “Come on, being in Hufflepuff isn’t even that bad. You guys sleep right next to the kitchen!”

 

“Oh, shut up, you moron,” The elder hissed. “That’s literally the only good thing from being in Hufflepuff. Other than that, it’s horrible. Plus, it’s easy for you to say Hufflepuff isn’t that bad to be in when you’re in Gryffindor. ing Gryffindor! The same House Harry Potter was in.”

 

“It’s not that great, Hyung,” Moonsoo informed, his tone turning more serious. “A lot of people expect us to be as great or even better than Harry Potter. It’s a lot of stress and pressure for a lot of us. Since Hufflepuff doesn’t have anything very great to be remembered by, you can easily become that one wizard that will be the instantly thought of by everyone whenever someone says ‘Hufflepuff’.”

 

Myungsoo scowled, opening his mouth to say something else, but was stopped as the Deputy Headmaster lead the first years into the Great Hall. The boy couldn’t help but smile a little when he saw how nervous the eleven year-olds looked, Muggleborns looking around and pointing at the ceiling in a mixture excitement and amazement.

 

Myungsoo partly paid attention to the Sorting, his mind wandering as he clapped softly when the first years were sorted. It took a little while, but once the last eleven year old was sorted(“Ravenclaw!”), the Headmistress stood up to speak.

 

“Welcome, first years,” She said, her voice smooth and soft, yet powerful. “And to everyone else, welcome back to another fine year of Hogwarts. Firstly, I want all first years to know that the Forbidden Forest is off limits, unless you wish to risk your life to see dangerous creatures that would kill you without hesitation.” There was a pause as the Headmistress let those words seek in, smiling when she saw how more nervous the first years became, assuring her most of them won’t enter the forest. “Secondly, I would like to announce the resignation of our Defense Against The Dark Arts teacher and Hufflepuff Head of House, Professor Wittings. She has taught here for a short period of time, but was offered a job she has been dreaming of. It is sad she has left, but I am glad to announce that the one to take her place as Defense Against The Dark Arts and as Hufflepuff Head of House is actually an old student of ours. Please give a warm welcome to Professor Jang.”

 

Myungsoo clapped along with everyone else, surprised about the knews. He looked to the right end of the teacher’s table, eyes widening when he saw the smiling young man. Professor Jang waved at the students, bowing his head a few times before sitting down, that bright, dazzling smile never faltering. Myungsoo has never seen someone so happy and so handsome before.

 

“And thirdly,” The Headmistress began again once the clapping stopped, her smile widening. “Let the feast begin.”

 

~*~*~*~*~

 

Myungsoo lead the Hufflepuff first years to their common room. He showed them how to enter the said common room, and told them what would happen if they tap the wrong barrel of mess up the rhythm. A few of them looked much more nervous than before. ‘They’re probably forgetful. Myungsoo thought. Leading them inside the disgustingly yellow common room, he pointed to the tunnels that lead to the boys’ dormitories, then pointed to the tunnels that lead to the girls’ dormitories. “Your belongings should already be in your rooms.” Myungsoo said, cueing the students to either roam around the common room or go to their rooms.

 

Most Hufflepuffs left for their rooms, sleepy due to the amounts of food most of them ate. Some just wanted to retire early for an early start tomorrow. Myungsoo didn’t feel like going to his room, so instead he just pulled out his wand(Willow, phoenix feather, fourteen inches,and  remarkably flexible.), summoned a book(‘Accio book!’),sat down in one of the fat armchairs, and began reading. Within two hours, all the other Hufflepuffs left for their rooms, save for Myungsoo. He was really into the book. Absorbed into the story, he didn’t notice that someone else entered the common room.

 

“Oh,” Professor Jang murmured, surprised to find someone awake at a late hour. “Hello….”

 

Myungsoo jumped a little when he heard someone, looking up from his book and in his breath when he met eyes with his new Head of House. There was a moment of awkward silence before Myungsoo realised the professor greeted him. “H-Hello, Professor!” He got to his feet, bowing out of habit. This close, Myungsoo noted that the teacher was shorter than him.

 

“Oh, no, no, you don’t need to bow!” Professor Jang said, an embarrassed smile gracing his features.

 

“I bow to all the professors.” Myungsoo explained. “My parents taught me to bow those higher than me.”

 

“Well, you don’t need to bow to me,” Professor Jang laughed, his laughter sweet like honey. “I haven’t done anything to show that I’m higher than you. Plus, it makes me feel old, seeing you don’t seem so young to need to consider me a ‘higher rank’.”

 

“You used to attend Hogwarts, correct? When did you graduate?” Myungsoo asked, curiosity getting the better of him.

 

Instead of scowling and trying to change the subjects like most other teachers do, Professor Jang kept his smile and sat in one of the armchairs, motioning Myungsoo to do the same. “I graduated five years ago. The Headmistress gave me a job offer as a help for right after I graduated, but I wanted to attend college.”

 

“College, as in Muggle college?”

 

“Yes, Muggle college. I’m Muggleborn, and my parents have always wanted me to go to college. It was a bit difficult at first, since I didn’t have a school record on attending high school and stuff. In the end, I just said I dropped out and got my diploma the hard way. That took a year, so I just went to a hands on college for three years. I took one year off for myself, then came here.”

 

Myungsoo was very intrigued, since he’s never met another magical person seek out a Muggle education after leaving Hogwarts. He’s also never really had a personal conversation with one of the teachers here, and he liked knowing a little bit more about his Defense Against The Dark Arts teacher.

 

The two continued to have small talk, Myungsoo informing the other of a bit of personal background(Such as his Muggle father, his mother’s pureblood family, and his younger brother.). The only talked for about forty-five minutes, but it felt like a very long time for the student, who was very indeed interested into his new professor.

 

For the first time ever, Myungsoo was glad he was in Hufflepuff.

 

~*~*~*~*~

 

More than half the year went by in a flash, and the last Quidditch game of the season was on a warm March day. It was Hufflepuff vs Slytherin, so Myungsoo decided he would spend his time at the Hufflepuff common room, finishing up on some homework. He didn’t care if it was the last game he would ever see at Hogwarts, he just couldn’t support his House.

 

Myungsoo was sitting on one of the big comfy armchairs, reading the seventy-fourth page of the one hundred and twenty-three pages assigned by his History of Magic teacher. The boy was left alone in the yellow room as the last four sixth years left to see the game. Silly, really, when the game didn’t start for another thirty-three minutes. Myungsoo just turned to the next page when the common room entrance was opened and in waltzed in an always-smiling Professor Jang.

 

“Myungsoo? Why are you here? Shouldn’t you be heading to the Quidditch field to watch the game?” The shorter asked in Korean. Soon after term started, Myungsoo learned that Professor Jang himself was from also from South Korea. Though they talked mostly in English, they did speak in Korean when alone or when wanting to keep a certain topic private.

 

“I, er, have a lot of homework to do, so I can’t go.” Myungsoo lied, shifting a bit in his seat. Professor Jang didn’t know of Myungsoo’s hatred towards his own house, and the taller didn’t really plan to tell the elder.

 

“But it’s the last game! I’m sure I can talk to your teachers to give you an extra day.” Professor Jang offered, his smiling brightening. “If we win this game, then we win the Quidditch Cup!”

 

“I….umm…… But I really want to finish this! It was assigned two days ago, so I have to finish this, actually.” Myungsoo insisted. But his teacher was just as insistent.

 

“Please, I’m pretty sure a majority of the students in your class haven’t finished the assignment either. I’ll talk to your professor tomorrow, come on!”

 

“I don’t want to go!” Myungsoo blurted, instantly regretting it when he saw the smile fall from Professor Jang’s beautiful face.

 

“Huh? Why don’t you want to go? Don’t you want to support your House?” Professor Jang asked, confused.

 

“No,” Myungsoo replied quickly. “I don’t want to support my House. I don’t even like my House.”

 

“You don’t like being in Hufflepuff?!” The shorter gasped, now thoroughly surprised. “But why not?!”

“Because Hufflepuff isn’t known for anything.” The student muttered. “We’re only knowing for sleeping next to the kitchen, that’s it. What’s so great about Hufflepuff?”

 

Instead of being mad or annoyed like Myungsoo expected, Professor Jang’s smile returned before he took a seat next to the taller. “Myungsoo, Hufflepuff is one of the best Houses you can be in.”

 

“No, it’s not,” Myungsoo said, trying to keep his tone respectful. “No one amazing has come from Hufflepuff, they’ve all come from Ravenclaw or Gryffindor or Slytherin. We’re just known for being part of Hogwarts.”

 

Professor Jang’s smile widened, taking out his wand and began to write mid-air, thick smoke coming from the tip of his wand to form the words. He wrote ‘hard work’, ‘patience’, ‘justice’, and ‘loyalty’. “These are the things Hufflepuffs value most. Yes, we might not value courage and bravery like Gryffindor, intelligence and wit like Ravenclaw, nor cunningness and ambition like Slytherin, but we value things just as important. What’s the point of being ambitious if you’re not patient and willing to work hard for what you want? What’s the point of being smart if you don’t value justice? What’s the point of being brave if you have no loyalty? Yes, Hufflepuff might not have many memorable witches or wizards like the other Houses, but we’re not forgotten nor are we useless. We help others and sometimes make a very big impact on people, making us unforgettable to them. We help make the Ministry of Magic what it is with our hard work and patience. We help Muggles for seeking the most justice for them. While Hufflepuff doesn’t have as big a name as Gryffindor, or Slytherin, or Ravenclaw, we are part of Hogwarts for a reason. What would Helga Hufflepuff say if you say you hate a House that values such important traits the other Houses would never look at?”

 

With all honesty, Myungsoo has had this conversation with many people before, but for some reason he couldn’t bring himself to start arguing with the shorter, and it’s not because he is his teacher. There’s just something about Professor Jang that stops the taller from snapping at him and pointing out exactly why Myungsoo ing hates Hufflepuff. So, the taller just stays quiet. There was an uncomfortably long moment of awkward silence before Professor Jang gets up.

 

“I’m not telling you this to scold you or change your mind, you know,” He said as he headed towards the entrance of the common room. “I’m telling you this so you understand what you say it is you hate. You were put in Hufflepuff for a reason, so you obviously don’t hate this House as much as you say you do. The Sorting Hat is never wrong, you know. Just think about it.” And with that, the shorter left Myungsoo by himself, who was running Professor Jang’s words over and over again in his head.

 

You know, maybe he was right. Maybe it’s not so bad to be in Hufflepuff.

 

~*~*~*~*~

 

The last day of school came by in what seemed a week, and Myungsoo just finished packing. He looked around his room, still unable to fully comprehend the fact that that day would be his last in Hogwarts. After that day, he would never return. That is, unless Myungsoo decided to take up the job offer the Headmistress made to him to be the new Herbology teacher(Seriously, why did she keep on offering newly graduated students from Hogwarts to teach at Hogwarts?). He wouldn’t mind taking up the offer if it wasn’t such a Hufflepuff thing.

 

‘You were placed in Hufflepuff for a reason.’ Professor Jang’s words rang in Myungsoo’s ears whenever the boy brushed something off because it’s Hufflepuff related or whatever. Actually, ever since Professor Jang had that talk with him, Myungsoo has thought more of Hufflepuff. He still wasn’t exactly prideful of his House, but he enjoyed it a bit more. Shaking his head, Myungsoo tucked his wand away into his robe’s pocket and strolled out to the end of term feast. He sat, obviously, with his fellow Hufflepuffs, sitting in the middle of the long table and wearing his pointed hat, along with all the other seventh years. Some were crying, others looking beyond happy, most looking proud for completing seven difficult years at Hogwarts.

 

The Headmistress gave her usual goodbye speech to the seventh years and any retiring staff. “And may we see some of your pleasant faces soon.” She finished, her eyes twinkling as she looked directly at Myungsoo. He blushed, looking away and hoping no one saw their shared eyed contact. The teachers were allowed to say a few words, Professor Crook(The Herbology teacher who’s spot Myungsoo was offered to take.) even shedding a tear or two as he gave his own goodbye(He’s been working and living at Hogwarts for years now.). Lastly it was Professor Jang to give his goodbye to the seventh years.

 

“It was fun,” He began. “Having some of you in my classes. Sad it couldn’t have been more, but still fun and memorable nonetheless. I just have this to say for all of you: Be proud of who you are, and what House you represent. You were all put in your Houses for specific reasons, so cherish the unique qualities you have, for your House will surely cherish them. I am sure if the founders of Hogwarts themselves, Godric Gryffindor, Rowena Ravenclaw, Salazar Slytherin, and Helga Hufflepuff, were here to see what I see before me, they would be beyond pleased to see what amazing witches and wizards they have the honor to represent their Houses, their family. Good luck, to you all, and always be proud of who were as a student here.”

 

~*~*~*~*~

 

“Professor Jang!” Myungsoo called out, pushing through the sea of students to the short man. “Professor Jang!”

 

The said man turned around, his signature grin blessing his face as he saw his secretly favourite student. “Myungsoo! Come to say goodbye, I presume?”

 

“I act- Yes. I wanted to say goodbye.” Myungsoo spoke in a rush, since the Hogwarts Express was timed to leave very soon. “It was amazing have you as my Defense Against The Dark Arts teacher, I never knew I could love a subject more than Herbology.”

 

“Oh, now, now,” Professor Jang laughed. “I wasn’t as great a professor as you were a student. I will definitely miss having you in my class.”

 

Myungsoo wanted to say more, but couldn’t as the Hogwarts Express gave a high-pitched whistle, signaling it will be leaving within a minute.

 

“Thank you, Professor Jang.”

 

“Call me Dongwoo,” Professor Jang said before pulling Myungsoo in for an affectionate hug, which was unnoticed by most people since they were rushing to board the train. “Take care of yourself.” Myungsoo looked at Dongwoo, his lovely teacher, noting the sad glint in the shorter’s bright eyes.

 

“I’ll see you again, soon.” Myungsoo said quickly, walking backwards towards the train; with a gentle smile, he adds: “I’ll see you soon, Dongwoo Hyung.” He entered the train, and was gone.

 

~*~*~*~*~

 

It’s been two years since Myungsoo and the rest of his year left. Dongwoo has easily become the most favoured teacher in the school, earning the respect from both his colleagues and students. He was pleased to have Moonsoo in his classes, but upset it wasn’t Myungsoo. Since that moment two years ago, there hasn’t been a word communicated through the two, not even through Moonsoo. Dongwoo lied to himself that he wasn’t hurt, when he obviously was. He was hoping to meet the younger and built a bond stronger than the teacher-student one they had. A real friendship. Maybe even more.

 

Dongwoo sighed as he got his classroom ready for his fourth year of teaching at Hogwarts. The Headmistress told the staff(By owl, since she was busy with other matters.) that they were getting a new colleague(The last two Herbology teachers were dreadful.). No matter what, Dongwoo always felt the need to give a good first impression, so he decided to make his office extra neat, all of September’s and October’s school work planned. He was proud of himself for getting so far ahead a week before term started, retiring to his office for a cup of coffee.

 

While Dongwoo was sipping his coffee, thinking about his family back at South Korea, there was a gentle knock on the office’s door. Placing his cup of coffee down, Dongwoo waved his wand and the door eerily creaked open. The person behind the door caused the teacher to shoot right up onto his feet, eyes wide with surprise.

 

“Myungsoo!” Dongwoo cried happily, gesturing the younger to enter his office. “You came to visit! Blimey, I thought you forgot all about me!” The shorter of the two laughed at his own words.

 

“Actually,” Myungsoo said in a calm voice, though his own happiness and excitement was evident. “I came to greet all the teachers before term begins. Figured it wise to come early so my teachers get used to the idea of working with one of their most recent students.”

 

Dongwoo was confused, running the words over in his head a few more times before the lightbulb . “You’re working here?!”

 

“I decided to take pride in my House and take the job as the Herbology teacher,” Myungsoo replied. “You really opened my eyes about Hufflepuff. I regret not supporting my House as a student, so what better way to make up for it than as a teacher?”

 

Dongwoo’s smile, if possible, widened. “That’s great! What made you finally see good in our House?”

 

The taller smiled, eyes full of fondness as he looked right into his colleague’s eyes. “You.”

 

“....What?”

 

“You. If you’re in Hufflepuff, then you’re patient, hard working, seek justice, and loyal, all the things I love in a guy. If the guy I like is in my House, then why should I hate Hufflepuff?”

 

Dongwoo blushed madly at Myungsoo’s sudden confession, though he couldn’t push away the happiness the taller’s words brought him. He looked away shyly, keeping quiet for he didn’t trust his voice at the time. Myungsoo chuckled, grabbing the shorter’s hands.

 

“Hyung.”

 

“Hmm?”

 

“May I ask for something?”

 

Dongwoo looked up, eyes curious as he nodded.

 

“May I have a kiss?”

 

Dongwoo blushed even more, though he didn’t say no. Leaning in, Dongwoo pressed his plump lips against Myungsoo’s thinner ones. The kiss was short, but sweet and caring. Both men were a shade of pink, though they were happy.


Myungsoo never thought the day would come when he would love Hufflepuff so much.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Okay guys, I'm not gonna lie, I was sorta buzzed when I wrote this and so yea the plot itself but I tried LOL But if it can quench anyone's thirst for DongSoo, then it's not that bad /shot

LOL BUT YEA tell me whatchu think, this is my first time doing a kpop-HP crossover and I'm curious as to what you guys think huehehe

Love ya guys~