Yixing

This Is Not Funny

“Yixing is as gay as gays come—“

“I don’t care.”

“It’s an open secret among his circle of friends that Yixing likes the , and not the s—“

“Good for him.”

“He is the only successor to a small shipping empire and doesn’t have any siblings to fight with him over for the inheritance—“

“I am not a gold-digger.”

“He doesn’t treat anyone with condescension or derision despite he is old money though. I can vouch for Yixing’s character—“

“You are a y judge of character, Jongdae.”

“Yixing is most definitely single too. y, free and single—“

“None of my business.”

“He is 27 years old, and very mature for his age as well—“

“Whatever.”

“Can you just stop interrupting me, Minseok?” Jongdae exclaims finally, “Can’t you let me finish a sentence?”

“And let you put me through heartache and heartbreak?” Minseok narrows his eyes, “No thanks.”

“But Yixing has the best qualifications among all the guys I have introduced you to! This dinner can be the last dinner!” Jongdae protests.

“No. No way. Not possible. Not doing anymore dinners. Shut up.” Minseok lists out the only answers that he is going to give today.

Jongdae frowns at that. Jongin reaches a sympathetic hand out and gives Jongdae a pat. Minseok turns his attention to Jongin and glares at him. Jongin hides behind Kyungsoo for protection. Kyungsoo gives a vague apologetic smile.

“Kyungsoo, make sure your boyfriend doesn’t stick his nose where it doesn’t belong,” Minseok snaps. He is feeling particularly nasty today.

Kyungsoo nods before he elbows Jongin in the ribs, “You heard that, Jongin? This is between Minseok and Jongdae; we shouldn’t force Minseok to meet up with people against his wishes.”

“But I just feel so sorry for Minseok’s disastrous date with Chanyeol and the time I had dinner with—“ Jongin catches himself in time and stops short.

“With?” Kyungsoo prompts in a sinister tone, “What were you about to say, Jongin?”

“I am so sorry, Kyungsoo!” Jongin claps his hands together, closing his eyes and bowing his head.

“You better be,” Kyungsoo folds his arms, “I haven’t forgiven you yet. I hope Minseok told you off properly.”

“I didn’t, and I won’t,” Minseok replies tersely, “Unless Jongin suddenly decides to team up with Jongdae to set me up with people again.”

Jongin whimpers under the glares of 2 men and he folds in a little into himself. Kyungsoo huffs before he turns around to formally bow to Minseok again.

“I am really sorry for my boyfriend’s irresponsible actions.”

“It’s alright. I have forgiven Jongin already,” Minseok brushes off the apology easily before he turns to the man in question, and warns, “Provided that you don’t pull off any more harebrained stunts with Jongdae.”

“I won’t, I won’t,” Jongin hastily promises once nudged by Kyungsoo.

Minseok nods in satisfaction and inclines his head at Kyungsoo, indicating his gratefulness. The two are now in a strategic alliance, what with Minseok controlling Jongdae and Kyungsoo controlling Jongin, ensuring that the two cannot get far enough to have Minseok dancing into their palms.

Minseok’s opinion of Kyungsoo changes.

Perhaps, it is a good thing that Kyungsoo is here.

Initially, Minseok had no idea what to think when Jongdae showed up with not only Jongin, but a cute, wide-eyed boy too. He backed away warily at first, because is that new boy another potential boyfriend who Jongdae is trying to shove down his throat?

But thank goodness Kyungsoo introduced himself before Minseok had the opportunity to voice his reservations, because oh lord the presumptuousness.

(“Nice to meet you too, Kyungsoo,” Minseok hurriedly said, “But why don’t we move the conversation inside, rather than you and Jongin apologizing at the doorstep?”

Kyungsoo and Jongin had their backs bowed down a 90 degree, as their proffered hands held a fruit hamper and a cake respectively. Minseok thought that the scene felt resembled a feudal lord being offered tributes, and he was feeling both embarrassed and slightly offended.

Feudal lords in these scenes are usually tyrants.

It also did not help that Kyungsoo seemed like an adorable, polite, mature man. And Minseok starting to understand Jongin’s delight when he had won back Kyungsoo’s heart was not anywhere in his agenda. It was far easier to resent Kyungsoo when he remained a mysterious silhouette in Minseok’s mind.)

“Stop browbeating Jongin,” Jongdae complains, “He didn’t even do anything.

Minseok turns to him swiftly and fixes Jongdae with a glare, “I will. As soon as you stop talking about this Yixing guy.”

“Why are you so against the idea of having someone new in your life?”

“This will be the fifth new guy I have in my life in just as many weeks if I agree to go along.”

“And what’s wrong with that?”

“I am not going for dinners for the laughs and giggles, Jongdae. I really want to meet someone, and you are not helping.”

“I am! I am doing my best to introduce people whom I know to you! And Yixing is really one of the most eligible bachelors I know. He has a heart of gold, always is respectful to people, is not a playboy—“

“You always make your friends sound like the perfect date, Jongdae. But there is also always a fatal flaw you fail to tell me.”

“Well,” Jongdae bite his inner cheeks at that, “Maybe Yixing is not as perfect as I am making him sound—“

“See! I knew it!” Minseok cannot help the jubilant crow that escapes.

“Yixing has a flaw?” Jongin chooses that moment to join the conversation, brows furrowing.

“Not really a flaw to most people. But someone as narrow-min—no, I mean, someone as conservative as Minseok may think of it as a flaw,” Jongdae smoothly replies.

Minseok rolls his eyes at the insinuation, “Oh really? Why don’t you tell me what’s wrong with your perfect Yixing before letting me judge for myself?”

“It’s alright, Minseok. I shouldn’t have even suggested him. Yixing will be really sad that you rejected him because of such a superficial reason, but I suppose, well… he should be used to it.”

“Stop insulting me and just spit it out, Jongdae.”

“But once I tell you, you will just refuse the dinner anyway. So, what’s the point of telling you, Minseok?”

“You tell me, so that if it is not as bad as it seems, I may just possibly agree to meeting this Yixing—“ Minseok stops himself sharply.

Oops.

Kyungsoo sighs while Jongdae high-fives Jongin.

“You were the one who said that, Minseok! You can’t go back on your words now!” Jongdae triumphantly crows. He dances a little jiggle on the spot.

Minseok narrows his eyes, “You set up a trap for me, Kim Jongdae.”

“And you fell for it hook, line, sinker!” Jongdae laughs raucously.

“I take back my words—“

“Oh no, you can’t do that. Kim Minseok is a man of his words, right? You cannot take back your words—“

“You are just going to tell me some dumb, stupid flaw anyway—“

“I won’t, I won’t,” Jongdae shakes his head, “There’s really something about Yixing that may have you disliking him. It’s really a genuine flaw.”

“Well, say it then,” Minseok snaps.

“Yixing has an accent when he speaks—“

“Kim Jongdae! You said you were going to tell me a genuine flaw—“

“Just let me finish, will you?” Jongdae huffs before he resumes, “As I was saying, Yixing has an accent when he speaks because he may, or may not be from China.”

There is a silence that falls on the group, and Kyungsoo uses the opportunity to dart quick glances at Minseok. Is that man a xenophobe? Kyungsoo cannot see anything wrong with meeting a Chinese man other than the fact that there may be some cultural conflicts every now and then, misunderstandings arising from different backgrounds, the occasional disagreements that comes from—

Minseok frowns, “You know my parents hate the Chinese.”

“You are a grown man now, Minseok. Maybe you should go against their wishes once in a while,” Jongdae points out.

“My parents are very important to me, Jongdae,” Minseok says, “I already broke their heart once when I came out. I am not going to do it again.”

Jongdae’s shoulder slump. “See, I knew I shouldn’t have told you.”

“Jongdae,” Minseok trails off wordlessly. He does not know what to say, because there really isn’t much one can say in such a situation. A heavy silence descends upon the group and Minseok can feel it creeping underneath his skin, making him feel like a disgusting, small-minded man through and through. He hates this feeling.

“If I listened to my parents,” Jongin breaks the silence. He stops for a moment, as if startled by the volume of his voice, before he continues with a resolute set to his mouth. “I wouldn’t be together with Kyungsoo. And that will truly be the worst mistake of my life.”

Everyone seems surprised at the genuine confession that has seemingly apparated out of nowhere. Kyungsoo turns to look at Jongin with a tender gaze in his eyes, his hands searching for the other’s. Jongin takes it up as naturally as breathing air.

Minseok does not miss this and he feels a pang in his heart.

“Just give it a try one more time, Minseok,” Jongdae quietly says.

-

Minseok goes for the dinner with muted feelings. There is a saying that third time is the charm, but Minseok has never heard of one that applies for the fourth. And given that this is his fourth blind date, Minseok knows better than to have his hopes up high.

Moreover, Minseok already knows Yixing’s fatal flaw now, and so, he approaches the dinner with caution.

Yixing is a Chinese, Yixing is a foreigner. There will surely be cultural conflicts and misunderstandings that Minseok must be prepared to accept with an open heart.

Also, Yixing is the heir apparent to some shipping corporation according to Jongdae. Minseok pats at his suit nervously and hopes that the restaurant is not too shabby by the young tycoon’s standard.

It is the one that Minseok has been going to for the past 3 weeks (for all his numerous disastrous first dates) and he is growing a strange affection for it. While it serves decent enough food at a rip-off pricing in a fantastic atmosphere, Minseok judges it to be in the top-middle tier at best and he thinks that it probably doesn’t measure up to what Yixing eats. Nonetheless, the familiarity of the restaurant offers Minseok comfort and there is this ridiculous notion in his mind that dictates Minseok to hold each and every single blind date in this place.

It has become a habit, really.

When Minseok is shown to his usual table, he is (once again) pleasantly surprised to find that there is someone waiting for him already. It looks like the recent suitors Minseok has are early birds, and Minseok is starting to have a good first impression of Yixing already.

And it is not just the fact that Yixing is early that leaves a good first impression on Minseok. Because for all of Minseok’s words that he is not superficial, Minseok knows how to appreciate beauty too. And he has to admit that Yixing cuts a striking figure in his dark blue blazer and casual jeans. The leather loafers are the cherry on top of the cake and Minseok has to give it to Yixing for fashion.

It emphasizes Yixing’s assets perfectly, while at the same time, hiding Yixing’s physical flaws so well that Minseok can find none.

Or maybe, Yixing’s body is just as well-built as it seems.

Minseok manages to get a good look of how Yixing’s jeans hug his thighs when he stands and he thinks that Yixing has a great body to match his face too. Minseok does not stare though, because they are in civilization and it will be impolite to do so.

Besides, it is not as if anything will come out of this dinner (Minseok has decided to treat each dinner as just a friendly dinner, like what Chanyeol did. He doesn’t think his heart is able to withstand any more disappointments and this is his defensive mechanism to it), and there is little point in staring at what will never be his.

Although, the converse is also true. Precisely because Yixing will never be his, Minseok may as well just look his fill. There is no harm to looking after all—Minseok recalls Luhan and he revises his thought.

No, Minseok shouldn’t look. But now Yixing has lain a hand on the back of Minseok’s chair and he is pulling it out for Minseok. All Minseok can do is stare at the lean hand, and the faint ripple of muscles showing beneath his tanned skin.

Get a hold of yourself, Kim Minseok.

“Thank you, Yixing,” Minseok smiles as he sits in the chair Yixing has pulled for him, his inner dilemma never showing. Added to the fact that Yixing is attractive, this is also the first time any of Minseok’s dates has pulled a chair out for him, and he is not too sure to feel about this (Minseok is starting to feel unsure about many, many things, what with this recent spate of blind dates. Jongdae is all to blame). Sure, it is a gentlemanly gesture and all, but Minseok is not a girl, and he would rather not be treated like a girl, thank you very much.

Minseok doesn’t say anything though; feminism is too much for a first date and he will just accept Yixing’s sweet gesture with grace.

Besides, Minseok is sure that something will crop up later; something that will drive a wedge between the two of them. There is no need for him to hasten things.

“You are welcome, Minseok,” Yixing does not return to his seat and hovers around Minseok though.

When a minute has passed by and the possibility of Yixing forgetting to return to his seat no longer becomes a possibility, Minseok looks up, artfully arching an eyebrow. “Is there anything you need, Yixing?”

“Well, if you don’t mind terribly,” Yixing brightens visibly and it is almost as if he is waiting to be asked. Yixing reaches into his pocket to withdraw a handphone, holding it up and showing it to Minseok. “Can you take a picture with me?”

Minseok blinks. “Now?”

“Yes, please.”

“Here? In the restaurant?”

“If it is fine with you.”

“Yixing, I know this probably isn’t a very classy place by your standards,” Minseok lowers his voice, “But won’t asking someone to take a picture for us be awfully conspicuous and… tacky?”

“I will be fast,” Yixing assures. “And we don’t even have to ask anyone to take it for us. It can be a… selca?”

Minseok still looks uncertain but Yixing has already bent down, putting his face beside Minseok. He angles the camera up high in his right hand and with his left hand held out, he poses. “Do you mind holding up your hand as if you are waving to the camera?”

Seeing that there is nothing he can do other than to get this over with as quickly as possible, Minseok holds a hand up weakly and smiles limply at the phone. Yixing frowns, and then corrects Minseok’s pose till his hand is fully flat out, facing the phone.

There is something entirely odd about this photo-taking affair but Minseok does not ask any questions till the flash goes off and Yixing has resettled himself on his seat.

“What do you need the photo for?” Minseok ventures eventually, when Yixing has finished fiddling with his phone and seems to be satisfied with the end result.

“Nothing. Just a memento of tonight,” Yixing’s eyes shift and he affects sweet smile. It shows off Yixing’s dimples perfectly, and Minseok coos a little because it is not as if he will get to see them anymore.

However, there is a mystery here and Minseok has a sinking feeling that it will reflect Yixing’s hamartia. “Really, Yixing?” Minseok presses.

“Yes, Minseok,” Yixing’s smile grows amused. “Are you superstitious or something? Afraid that my camera will steal your soul?”

If Yixing has said that earlier, Minseok may have believed him and brushed it off on his hyperactive caution. But Minseok is a man who is well-versed in the art of people lying—or at least, people trying to lie to him—and he doesn’t think much of Yixing’s efforts at misdirection.

Minseok has encountered at least a thousand liars better than Yixing, and Jongdae is the High King of them all.

Minseok simply stares, unconvinced, at Yixing for a good moment or two. He has long discovered the power of silence in a conversation, and Minseok is unafraid of using them to draw the truth from Yixing. He can see Yixing squirming in his seat and Minseok knows that he is probably feeling rather uncomfortable now.

Silence is damning to the guilty soul.

Just when Minseok is about to give up and move on (because even if it may be Yixing’s fatal flaw, Yixing is still a friend of Jongdae’s and Minseok can hardly force things out of a grown man. Besides, Minseok has a niggling feeling that Yixing’s heritage may be reason enough for Minseok to reject him, as he cannot imagine himself ever having the courage to introduce a China man to his parents, at least, not when Jongdae is absent to egg him on), Yixing speaks.

“I just really wanted a picture,” Yixing says in a small voice, as if embarrassed. “A picture of your hand actually,” Yixing elaborates.

“My hand?”

“Yes.” Yixing doesn’t look up at all and Minseok can see that his ears are turning red.

“Whatever for?”

Yixing looks nothing like the confident, well-off heir he was a few minutes ago. Uncertainty hangs off him like a cloak and the strong set to his shoulders has disappeared. In his place, is an unsure young man, and Minseok nearly regrets bringing out this change. Vulnerable-looking Yixing has his charm, but silently confident Yixing is more to Minseok’s taste.

“For a ridiculous reason,” Yixing finally manages.

“I promise to be a fair judge.”

“It really is a ridiculous reason,” Yixing insists, looking up at last. He his lips and presses his mouth into a thin, wavery line, “I don’t even know why I do it except that it is tradition and I must do it.”

“A tradition?”

“Yes,” Yixing nods his affirmative.

Minseok inclines his head at Yixing, indicating that he should continue.

Yixing sighs and seems to be in great internal conflict, his brows furrowed and his teeth biting at his lips. After what seems to be an eternity, Yixing finally leans forwards, “I have never told Jongdae this, and you mustn’t tell him what I am about to tell you, Minseok.”

Something in Minseok tingles at being privy to one of Jongdae’s friend’s secret that Jongdae doesn’t even know, and he nods immediately. Not too eagerly though, because that will make Yixing wary, and Minseok is starting to get a good grasp of Yixing’s character after their 15 minutes of meeting.

Yixing behaves nothing like the swaggering, ill-spoken rich Chinese brat Minseok expected. Rather, he seems to know even less of how to behave in social situations than Minseok does, and that strangely reassures Minseok. Maybe, it is because Minseok has been put into a superior position now, and who doesn’t enjoy the feeling of being superior to others?

“I come from a very traditional family, Minseok. And we have many traditions,” Yixing begins in a soft voice.

“Yes?” Minseok prompts when Yixing quietens and seems about to retreat back into his shell.

A faint pink dusts over Yixing’s cheeks. “And we believe that from the lines on one’s palm, we can see a person’s destiny.”

Minseok looks down briefly to his open palm before looking back up again. “And you were trying to read my destiny,” Minseok states slowly as he comes to an understanding.

Yixing shrugs helplessly.

“Well, how does my destiny look then?” Minseok finally says. His face is perfectly serious although an amused glint dances in his eyes.

“You are not mad?” Yixing is part relieved and part flabbergasted, “You are not mad I took a photo on the sly and used it for some private purpose?”

It’s Minseok’s turn to shrug, and he does so. Nothing fazes him now and Minseok has already written Yixing off as a dead end before coming to the dinner anyway (he may have been convinced by Jongdae’s word to give it a try initially, but the effect wears off after a day).

“Thank god,” Yixing heaves a sigh of relief, “I was so afraid you were going to storm out of the restaurant.”

Minseok smiles wryly. “I have drawn enough attention to myself in this place before. I am not going to do so anymore.”

“Say all you want, but I still think you are a very kind and generous soul, Minseok,” Yixing smiles as he spares a hopeful glance to his phone. “I hope the Master agrees.”

“You are having my palm read by a fortuneteller now?”

“Not me.” Yixing corrects gently, “My mother. She does this for all my dates.”

“Oh.”

Yixing frowns, noting the apathy in Minseok’s voice. “Are you judging me now?”

“No, no,” Minseok is quick to deny. “I am rather attached to my mother myself and it’s good to come out every now and then to make friends, I suppose.”

Yixing frowns harder. It looks unnatural on his face. “Wait, isn’t this a blind date?”

“No—yes—no,” Minseok cannot settle for an answer. He grasps about for an appropriate response before finally saying, “I mean, you got your mom to read my destiny, didn’t you?” as if that explains everything.

“And to test our compatibility as well. The Master is good at reading faces too.”

Minseok blinks. He recovers his wits quickly enough and says easily, “Well, yes. That’s exactly what I am saying. I don’t suppose the fortuneteller will find us very compatible then.”

“How will you know?” Yixing seems to be a bit upset now. “Don’t you like me?”

“I like you enough, Yixing,” Minseok says carefully, “But I don’t imagine your mom likes me.”

Yixing does not appear to comprehend. “My mother has nothing to do with this. She is just helping us read our compatibility.”

“But I don’t think your mom will approve of you dating a guy?”

The silence drags on for a good minute as Minseok allows Yixing to draw his own conclusion. His implication is clear as day and Minseok does not have very long to wait till Yixing next speaks.

“My mother is a very open-minded woman,” Yixing narrows his eyes, “She is perfectly fine with her son being a gay.”

“She is?” Minseok is genuinely surprised now.

“Yes, she is.” Yixing huffs, “She may not be proud of it, but she accepts me for who I am.”

“That’s nice of her. I guess.” Minseok manages to keep most of the doubt out of his voice. He has always imagined parents taking to this sort of information badly—how can he not? When his own parents were just a step away from throwing him out?—but he supposes that once in a while, a gay may just be born into the right family.

But aren’t the Chinese very traditional? Minseok may not have taken Chinese Studies in his youth, but he knows enough to be aware that they are a rather rigid bunch. Minseok used to have a roommate from Guangzhou after all. And he burned papers every August. Offerings to ghosts he said.

And that guy had always said he was not religious! (Minseok has always suspected that his roommate only did it because he had done it for the past 20 years of his life and could not do otherwise, even when he was stuck in a foreign country that couldn’t care enough to piss on his traditions.)

Minseok probes, “Has she approved of any of the guys you have dated before then?”

“Who are you mistaking my mother for? She welcomes all my boyfriends with open arms,” Yixing is properly huffy now. He crosses his arms and affects a look of righteous indignance. Minseok does not reply, simply eyeing Yixing with a skeptical look.

Yixing manages to keep that up for a good minute or two, before he ventures hesitantly. “I mean, she does her best to welcome them, and if she is a little bit frigid sometimes, you have to understand. It’s not a glamourous thing—having a homoual son.”

Ah. There it was, the reluctance typical to all parents. Yixing knew it, just that he wasn’t aware of it.

“Which is why I am sure your fortuneteller will find us extremely incompatible, Yixing.” Minseok says with as much tact as he can.

“My mother will not manipulate the results,” Yixing defends. He stops and starts again, hesitance creeping into his voice, “And so what if I have yet to find anyone who is perfectly compatible with me?” Yixing tries for an ambivalent shrug, but it comes out forced at best, “It is hard to find True Love in a world of billions.”

Minseok says gently, “If that’s what you want to believe.”

“You are offensive, Minseok.” Yixing says even as his eyes waver.

“I am just stating the truth.” Minseok splays his hands out to show that he is hiding nothing. He then nods his head at Yixing’s mobile. “And Yixing, I think your fortuneteller may have the results for you already. Your phone has been blinking for the past minute.”

“Oh,” Yixing looks down distractedly as he automatically swipes his screen unlocked, looking at the messages that pop up. Yixing remains silent.

Minseok nibbles at the salad politely as he pretends to be disinterested in Yixing’s text.

“Master says that you will lead to my ruin,” Yixing utters quietly at last. “That our birth dates clash and your star jinxes mine. Your lifeline is too strong and your eyes are too big. You will hex me.”

Minseok nods his head understandingly (his eyes are too big? What?). This surprises him in no way whatsoever. See, all parents are homophobic like that. “It’s nice meeting you anyway, Yixing. You seem like a good guy.”

Yixing looks up from his phone and his eyes are unnaturally bright. It is as if the floodgates have been opened and Yixing cannot stop now. “And the last time I wanted to get together with Yifan, Master also says that we are not meant to be. That our moon will wax and wane, and will never remain round and full-bellied.”

Minseok is not too sure what idioms Yixing are referring to, but it sounds bad and so he nods along sympathetically. (Who is Yifan anyway?)

“And then there was also once when I fell in love with Zhoumi, but mother said that our eight characters are bad for each other and introduced him to my cousin instead.”

“Oh, Yixing.” Minseok reaches out to hold Yixing’s hand. “I am so sorry. I should have never said anything,” Minseok’s thumb rubs comforting circles.

“There was also Henry and Hangeng and Minho…” Yixing’s grip on Minseok’s hand tightens so much that it begins to hurt. His face is frighteningly blank of emotions.

“I am so sorry, Yixing.” Minseok bears the pain and tries to squeeze back comfortingly.

“My family has always valued traditions above all, and I am the only son.”

Minseok comes to the right conclusion and he says softly, “You will have to continue the family’s line.”

“I have always thought my parents loved me.”

“They love you, they do.” Minseok assures quietly even as he regret his decision to latch on the topic. Perhaps, Minseok should have broken things to Yixing in a more gradual manner; get him to face the facts over time, slowly. Yixing seems to be taking to this badly, and Minseok’s heart thrums with sympathy.

Yixing does not answer and simply returns his broken gaze to the phone.

“You did not see the truth because of the love you hold for your mother, and your mother does not see the truth because of the love she holds for you.” Minseok takes in a deep breath and says. He may be getting presumptuous now, dabbling in other families’ affairs, but Minseok has been through a similar situation and he thinks this is how all families work.

True, Minseok’s parents nearly threw him out. But the thing is, they didn’t, and that is all that really matters at the end of the day. Besides, parents always have some strange notions of wanting the best for their children and Minseok cannot begrudge their good intentions, misguided as they may be.

Minseok continues, “You love your mother, and so you believe she will never jeopardise your relationships. Your mother loves you, and so she believes only a virtuous woman deserves you.”

Yixing shakes his head, but Minseok ignores him and ploughs on. “She supports you in all other endeavours, doesn’t she?”

“Yes,” Yixing says.

Minseok squeezes his hand encouragingly.

“Yes,” Yixing repeats and something in him hardens. The shakiness in his voice is replaced by steel, and Yixing looks up at Minseok, sending him an unreadable look. Yixing stares long and hard till Minseok starts being discomforted and he squirms slightly in his seat.

“Yixing?” Minseok prompts. There is a strange glimmer in Yixing’s eyes that reminds him of Luhan, and Yixng’s sudden change in mood is startling to say the least.

Minseok still hasn’t gotten around to researching how to behave around lunatics. Other than humouring them and speaking gently, of course.

Minseok can feel cold sweat beading again. He really should have gone to the library when he could. Given his luck with meeting people nowadays, Minseok needs all the help he needs—pathetic self-held books be damned.

Yixing’s mouth twists into something that can possibly be a snarl, if not for the fact that it is not accompanied by any strange guttural sounds. He shakes off Minseok’s grip as if it recoils him and where there have been hurt, it is replaced by suspicion.

Yixing says harshly, “Why are you trying to turn me against my family?”

Minseok holds his hands up, confused. “I am not.”

“You are poisoning me against my mother. You claim that she is a liar,” Yixing says heatedly, and his impassive mask has been broken by a streak of anger directed at Minseok. “My mother won’t lie to me.”

Minseok frowns. “You were just agreeing with me a second ago.”

“I came to my senses. You are a poisonous snake who wishes to drive a wedge between my family and I. What ulterior motives do you have?”

Minseok looks put-off now. “If this is your defensive mechanism against the truth, you are a weak-willed man who only knows how to run away, Yixing.”

“And now you are insulting me.”

“I was simply telling you the truth!” Minseok takes in a deep breath as he tries to calm himself down. He tries again, “Look, Yixing. This may be a bit too much for you to take in all of a sudden, but you have to face the truth eventually—“

“Truth!” Yixing spits the word with equal sarcasm and incredulity. “You twist the truth.”

“Yixing—“

“Don’t ‘Yixing’ me! I have no idea what Jongdae was thinking when he introduced you to me.”

“Oh my god,” Minseok says disgustedly. He stands up abruptly and makes to leave. “If you can’t face the truth, it is fine by me. But there is no need to spit in the efforts of someone who is trying to help you out.”

“I understand Master’s words now. You will do me no good.”

Minseok makes a revolted sound. He throws his napkin to the table, looking thoroughly offended. “And I have no idea what Jongdae was thinking when he introduced me to you,” Minseok says with all the spite he can muster. “Among all the suitors Jongdae sent me, you are the worst. Because unlike them, you really have personality problems, Yixing,” Minseok shakes his head, lips pulled down, “I thought your nationality will be the issue, but it turns out it is way more serious than that.”

“So, you are one of those ignorant xenophobes who discriminates against Chinese.” There is no mistaking the bitter taunt in Yixing’s words.

“You are a superstitious bastard who only knows how to hide behind his mother’s aprons.” Minseok rises to the bait, Yixing’s words hitting too close to home.

“You are a vile man who resorts to accusing people’s parents when you know you stand no chance with them!”

“You tricked me into taking a photo with you!”

“You were late to the dinner!”

“I was early, damn you!”

“I waited for 10 minutes!”

“We arranged to meet at 7pm! If you want to reach 20 minutes earlier, I cannot do anything about that!”

“You are a bastard and I hate you!”

“The feelings are mutual!”

“I love my mother, you !”

“How does that have anything to do with this?” Minseok throws his hands up in frustration, slightly out of breath.

“Why did you tell me what you did!” Yixing shouts, and it is less of a question and more of a broken yell.

Yixing follows this up by suddenly lowering his face into his hands, chests heaving as something that sounds disconcertingly like sobbing drifts into Minseok’s ears. Minseok stares blankly at (another) Yixing’s outcry, flabbergasted.

What the heck?

“If this is a ploy to get me to forgive you—“

“You are the only one who has ever been so truthful to me, Minseok,” Yixing cuts Minseok off, looking up with teary eyes. In his voice is a strange mixture of reverence and love that stands a sharp contrast to the harsh words that were exchanged earlier.

Minseok takes a step back warily.

Luhan. Yixing is the second Luhan. The upgraded version of Luhan that comes with family issues, teary outbursts and stupendous moodswings.

“But, 妈妈 …” Yixing starts sobbing uncontrollably again.

Minseok distances himself from Yixing. He doesn’t care about the looks other diners are sending him (he is long past the stage of caring). Minseok says in a strained voice, “You are an unstable man with violent moodswings, Yixing. And you have some mummy issues.”

Yixing blubbers. Minseok takes 3 steps back.

“And I think what your mother and fortuneteller say may be the truth. We are not meant for each other.”

Yixing wails.

Minseok pales and he decides that propriety can be ignored at times. Minseok hightails out of the restaurant before anything else can happen. Minseok is not going to spend another minute in Yixing’s company if possible

-

Minseok tries to control the cold that runs down his spine even as he fiddles with his phone. It is a ritual now, sending Jongdae messages after the dinner.

yixing and i aren’t destined to be. In a sense, it is the truth. And while Yixing has left a bitter taste in Minseok’s mouth, Minseok is going to keep to his word and not utter a word about Yixing’s superstitions and mummy issues to anyone.

what do you mean by that??? did you even give him a chance??

Minseok chooses not to respond. 


guys, your faith in me making the subsequent chapters funnier is misplaced. this chapter is like... i don't even have any words to describe it. definitely not crack, for one. i just made yixing really pathetic and sad. and minseok, kinda pathetic and sad too.