Jongin

This Is Not Funny

The first time it happens, Minseok sits at the table with a vague sense of excitement coursing through him. He has seen the pictures, trawled through the guy’s facebook profile, and Minseok has come to the correct conclusion that the guy is hot.

And while Minseok always says that he is not superficial, that looks comes second and personality first, he can’t help but to admit that he is a bit hyped up at the thought of meeting, and possibly going out with somebody that hot. Like, that guy—Jongin is his name—is a real piece of eye candy, and according to Jongdae, is a rather decent guy to boot.

“Jongin volunteers at the local SPCA when he has time off. You know, when he is not working as a dance choreographer,” Jongdae quips as he empties Minseok’s last packet of chips, “He has a good heart that guy. Maybe a bit shy, and a bit passive, but his looks more than makes up for it.”

Jongdae ends it off with a wink and Minseok rolls his eyes, “I don’t care about how he looks, Jongdae. And I don’t see why you insist on setting me up with people—“

“Hyung, I know I am good company. But you need to see some people other than me once in a while,” Jongdae interrupts, mouthing of crumbs spewing onto Minseok’s leather couch, “And it’s not like you are that bad looking yourself.”

“I will date when I date, Jongdae.”

“You need .”

At this point, the conversation devolves into something on how Minseok is not about to discuss his life with Jongdae, and Jongdae pointedly ignoring Minseok’s vocal objections as he dispenses unwanted dating and advice.

Minseok sometimes wonders why he even bothers keeping Jongdae around all this while, but he can see Jongin entering the restaurant now, all sleek and dapper in his choice of washed out denim and grey blazer, and Minseok immediately takes back his words. If he and Jongin gets together, Minseok may even consider promoting Jongdae to best friend position.

“Hello, are you Minseok?” Jongin asks once he has been shown to the table.

“Yes, I am Minseok,” Minseok stands to offer Jongin his hand, “And you are Jongin, am I right?”

Jongin nods, “Nice to meet you, Minseok. I am so sorry I am late.” He offers an apologetic smile then and something in Minseok swoons.

Minseok is careful to keep all the potentially embarrassing parts of himself from showing on his face though and he plasters on a polite smile in response. “No worries, you aren’t late. I was just early,” Minseok says by way of explanation, “I like showing up for appointments 10 minutes early.”

“I don’t suppose that means I will have to start showing up for our dates 15 minutes then?” Jongin replies smoothly and Minseok wonders what the hell was Jongdae going on about Jongin being a shy dude, because Minseok is pretty sure Jongin is flirting with him now and no shy guys do that that fast.

“If you want to,” Minseok laughs, and he is not sure why he is flirting back so fast other than the fact that maybe Jongdae is right and he has been -deprived for too long, too much.

-

Jongin manages to make it all the way till the desserts before things begin falling apart. He has been distracted throughout the entire dinner, eyes constantly flitting to his silenced phone, hands occasionally fiddling with the cloth as if he has other better things to do. And for all Jongin’s charms and charisma, Minseok can’t help but to notice it and he wonders what is wrong.

He has even asked Jongin once, but Jongin simply brushes off Minseok’s question with an air of nonchalance, even as Minseok spies what he suspects to be a glimmer of guilt in his eyes. However, Minseok does not pursue, because this is the first date after all and even couples of ten years are entitled to their own privacy and secrets.

Besides, other than Jongin’s show of distraction, he has been perfect in all other ways. Thoughtful and intelligent, Minseok has thoroughly enjoyed himself throughout this dinner. There is not a moment of boredom, and Minseok has come to enjoy the brand of subtle flirting they have been engaging in for the past hour. And dare he say, Minseok is starting to feel that he can envision a future together with Jongin—

“I am sorry,” Jongin says as his phone vibrates suddenly. He has already pushed back his chair and is now standing as he addresses Minseok in a distracted manner, “I need to take this call.”

Minseok smiles and nods his head, not that Jongin sees it because by then, he is already halfway through the restaurant. Something in Minseok churns unsettlingly, and he can’t put a reason to it.

Nevertheless, he shrugs off the uneasy feeling and tries to make the best out of his time alone as he picks listlessly at his panna cotta.

15 minutes later and Jongin returns to the table, practically glowing. Minseok looks up, slightly embarrassed because he has managed to finish off desserts all by himself and he is about to apologise when Jongin beats him to it.

“I am sorry,” Jongin says, and his face is still bright and beaming, not the least bit apologetic.

“It’s alright, I didn’t wait that long anyway—“

“No, no,” Jongin cuts Minseok off, “It’s not for that. I am so sorry, but I can’t have dinner with you anymore.”

“Oh?” Minseok draws his eyebrows into a furrow, “Do you have somewhere you need to go now?”

“Not that,” Jongin shakes his head, “I mean, I can’t have dinner with you ever again.”

The furrow deepens and Minseok frowns, “Wha—Why? Did something happen?”

Jongin trembles at that question and his face lights up exponentially. Minseok eyes him warily because Jongin looks as if he is about to burst from happiness any moment.

“Yes, yes!” and it is as if Jongin has been waiting for Minseok to ask him this question all this while as he suddenly lifts Minseok into a hug. Minseok staggers slightly as Jongin tries to spin him around but fails.

“Kyungsoo—my boyfriend—he just agreed to take me back!” Jongin shouts excitedly with a -eating grin on his face, his arms still holding Minseok in a tight embrace, “I am dating Kyungsoo again! Oh my god, I can’t believe it. I am so happy!”

Minseok freezes and he turns frigid. Jongin continues hugging him for a moment or two before he realizes that Minseok has just stiffened in his arms and he releases Minseok all of a sudden, as if burned.

The two stare at each other for a few seconds, before Minseok gathers his wit together.

“Well, that’s very good for you, Jongin,” Minseok manages to insert frost into his words, “Congratulations.”

“I am sorry,” the smile falls from Jongin’s face and he has the decency to look ashamed.

“I will just like to advice you that you to not go for dates if you are not sincere about starting up a genuine relationship,” Minseok’s smile does not reach his eyes, “It’s is, on some level, cheating the other party’s feelings.”

“I am sorry,” Jongin’s voice is smaller now.

Minseok does not deign to respond and he simply waves his hand at Jongin before turning round sharply, striding off to the exit because he is not about to waste any more time on a bastard who was never truly single from the very start.

Minseok consoles himself by thinking that at the very least, he has managed to finish desserts.

He still makes sure to send an angry text to Jongdae though. Because on some level, this is Jongdae's fault. He was the one who introduced Jongin to Minseok.

you . you set me up with a guy who just broke up with his boyfriend?!

kyungsoo is history. how does it matter? Jongdae's reply contains his standard flippantness.

no he is not. jongin just got back together kyungsoo.

oh man, in the middle of dinner?

yes you .

talk about rude... but at least, jongin paid for dinner right?

Minseok can feel his anger being redirected from Jongin to Jongdae, and the urge to throttle his best friend has never been that strong.