Just Talking.:Fantascape

Tabula Rasa.:Fantascape

oMlc9t8.png

The daylight pried its shimmering, white fingers through each crease of Baekhyun’s eyelids. As soon as he relented- parting his lashes to take in his surroundings- the gentle whirr of the hospital’s timeworn A/C was the first to greet him.

Immediately, he checked his senses just as Chanyeol had taught him. His sight was fortunately still intact- though the sun seemed to challenge that. His hearing was fine, if not even more acute given the fact that he’d been asleep. He wriggled his fingers, surprised to find them laced together upon his clothed stomach. He could still move- that was good. So then his brainstem hadn’t failed him. But as he shifted to sit up, a rush of nausea settled in his core and stifled any spark of energy he had left.

His tongue stuck against the roof of his mouth, seamed with a film of sour saliva. He’d been asleep- most likely for quite a while. The exhaustion he felt was nothing new, but he was confused. Baekhyun never slept this well, not unless he’d had a fit…

Images from hours earlier suddenly dotted his view. The shock on Kyungsoo’s face and the soothing sound of his nurse’s voice painted an all-too-vivid picture of what he’d missed.

He had a spasm… He had a spasm in front of Kyungsoo.

“Oh no…” Baekhyun groaned, rubbing into his eyes until they began to sting. “Oh, please no.”

Despite the hard time he’d given his psychologist, he never intended for the man to witness that. During those fits, Baekhyun was at his lowest- helpless and raw. Every time the searing surges of pain against his nerves he became a slave to his body. It was like a remnant of everything he’d been through that served to remind him of how little control he truly had. It was Baekhyun’s ultimate weakness, and now this man had seen it for himself.

It felt too intimate to be unraveled like that.

The door creaked open, and he half expected to find Kyungsoo at the other end of it. Instead, a young nurse entered with his breakfast tray. She was a sweet thing with a boyish charm and a terrible habit of babying him. Baekhyun liked her nonetheless. He couldn’t imagine ever allowing her to witness his fits for that reason alone… He should have been happy that the person who saw him was someone like Kyungsoo- someone who meant less to him than the dust that wafted like falling stars from the vents.

So why in the world was he so uneasy?

JLP2013-POSTDIVIDER_zpse7b3fe05.png

Surprisingly, it wasn’t all that difficult to find Jongin.

Kyungsoo merely had to follow the trail of blushing nurses and sizzling pheromones the man seemed to leave in his wake. But then again it was most likely due to chance… After all, the two did have this unshakable habit of running into each other whenever one of them- usually Kyungsoo- hoped that they wouldn’t.

It was from behind the confines of one particular door that the doctor’s voice drifted past, soft enough to be disregarded by anyone other than Kyungsoo- who knew the man and that husky voice well enough to scope it out with ease.

He wasted no time barging in, revealing a room that greatly resembled Baekhyun’s save for the lack of an anger-dented wall. Immediately, two figures peered up to take in his presence. His eyes fell upon Jongin as the man lifted himself from a chair near the cot.

“Kyungsoo? Is there… Is there something you needed?”

The psychologist ignored his friend’s words as he was too busy observing the young patient next to him. The boy was shocked at his presence- narrow, brown eyes staring towards him with a gleam of caution. He appeared to be around the same age as Baekhyun, but this boy’s youth held a more cherubic vibe than the other’s elfin one. His face was also longer- far more emphasized with the slim bridge of his nose- and his body seemed a bit lither than Baekhyun’s, as if he’d been stretched out.

“There is, actually… I need a word with you. Now,” he urged Jongin once he’d assessed his startled patient. Jongin sighed and Kyungsoo wasn’t sure if it was out of disappointment for the interruption or because he already knew where this ‘word’ was going.

“I’ll be right back, Sehun… If you need anything just call Jin-ri, yes?” Jongin rose from the chair, easing past Kyungsoo and shooting him a warning look.

With that, Sehun settled into his pillows, watching Jongin’s retreating back. “Umm… Okay.” The almost forlorn pout that donned his face vaguely reminded Kyungsoo of a puppy, but he couldn’t think on that for long. Instead, he followed Jongin into the hall.

“You never-”

“Wait.” Jongin held up a hand to silence him, taking the time to first close Sehun’s door. The second the bolt clicked into place he turned his attention to his friend. “Okay. You were saying?”

Kyungsoo glared. “You didn’t really consider Byun Baekhyun’s case all that much, did you?”

“Soo, why the hell would you say that?”

Kyungsoo crossed his arms. “Because you put his wellbeing in the hands of someone who isn’t fit for this type of job. I’m a psychologist, Jongin, not a psychiatrist. I can’t give him anything to cure him. My job consists of working a patient through the causes of their issues. I don’t qualify to take on someone who’s clearly in need of serious medical attention.”

“But that’s what he’s getting,” Jongin persisted, “He’s getting medical care here and none of it’s working. That’s why I called you- because I think what he needs isn’t someone to string him up on drugs or throw medical lingo at him.”

“So then, what am I supposed to do?”

“Just talk to him!”

It was as if the rising timbre of Jongin’s voice broke the vacuum they’d made for themselves, and the world took its pause to stare at the ruptured space in wonder. A few passersby began to stare.  A nurse to Jongin’s right eyed them warily before continuing to lead her patient onward. Kyungsoo stammered a bit as he spoke.

“I… I’m sorry, what? You want me to just talk to him?”

Jongin sighed, lifting a hand to press into the stretch of skin between his brows. “Yes, Soo. He doesn’t need any more diagnoses or scans. He’s had enough of that. We haven’t found a thing to report on- nothing out of the ordinary to even grasp at.” He shifted again, weighing Kyungsoo down with a look that seemed to suddenly tack years onto Jongin’s life. “I think he just needs an outlet. He needs someone to open up to and take the burden from him.”

Immediately, the forsaken cloud that had cast its shade over Baekhyun’s eyes flashed into Kyungsoo’s head, filling his mind with unbidden discomfort. “He’s hiding something.”

Jongin snorted. “Clearly. And he needs someone to let it all out on. You’re better at this than I am. You know which buttons to press and when to press them. I just offer smiles and sugar-free lollipops.”

Kyungsoo was just tall enough to spot a petite nurse easing her way towards Jongin. Her eyes skittered between the two as if she were afraid to interrupt their conversation. “But I offer nothing…” he said.

Jongin shrugged as a slight smile dipped into the corners of his lips. “Maybe that’s what he needs right now. You call yourself ‘tabula rasa’ for a reason. With a mind as muddled as Baekhyun’s, perhaps he could use a blank slate to dump it on.”

Kyungsoo desired to get a word in, but Jongin was already following the drifting trail of his eyes. The doctor peered back at the nurse, turning to give his attention to her, and Kyungsoo knew immediately that he was dismissed.

Snippets of his conversation with Jongin regaled his walk to the elevator. Every counter he’d meant to offer in their argument crooned louder than the radio during his ride to the clinic. But the vacancy that had settled far too comfortably in those dark eyes invaded its way into Kyungsoo’s thoughts for the rest of the day.

JLP2013-POSTDIVIDER_zpse7b3fe05.png

“So Nyeo Shi Dae sweeps the stage with yet another win!”

“Of course they did! Don’t look so surprised,” Baekhyun hooted at the screen. The announcer immediately handed the microphone to a flushed Hyoyeon and Baekhyun found himself completely won over with her humility.

Chanyeol chuckled at his patient, placing the remote next to the boy’s arm. “I don’t think he’s surprised. That’s just his face. I’d be pissed too if someone gave me a ty noseline like that…”

Baekhyun was too busy expressing his adoration for his favorite girl group to pay the nurse much attention. He’d slept through yesterday’s Inkigayo KPop Countdown, so he’d asked Chanyeol to surf the channels and find him any playbacks. For now, he just wanted to focus on SNSD’s win instead of thinking on yesterday’s miserable turn of events.

“Shut up, Yeol. Kwang Hee is all-natural,” he bit out just as the group’s comeback song that had earned them their win began to play in the background. 

'Mwol geokjeonghaneunde neon…'

Chanyeol merely snorted before taking his leave, and Baekhyun was gifted the silence to hum along in peace. But within a minute later, someone else entered and Baekhyun released a groan.

“Chanyeol, don’t make me throw this remote at you…” He gripped the device in his palm.

“You’d probably lose it in that hair of his…”

Baekhyun froze. That wasn’t Chanyeol this time. Damn it.

He refrained from tearing his gaze from the TV as Kyungsoo settled into the chair beside him. This wasn’t good. He’d forgotten their session, or at least he’d hoped they wouldn’t be having one. After yesterday, he assumed that he’d scared the psychologist out of his mind.

“I keep forgetting you’re a psychologist.” Baekhyun watched as the girls of SNSD began to bow at the other groups. “You probably deal with crazies all the time.”

'Neon moreun cheok nuneul gamneun…'

Baekhyun heard Kyungsoo snort. “Maybe, but that doesn’t mean I’m numb to them. It’s my job to be empathetic towards my clients.”

'Deo dangdanghage neon…'

Baekhyun watched in silence as Sunny began to scout out other members to dance with. “So that’s it then… You pity me?”

“I don’t pity obnoxious brats… But I do want to understand you. What happened yesterday was my fault. I was out of line to yell like that.”

Laughter suddenly filled the room and Baekhyun could only imagine the startled jolt that Kyungsoo gave. The boy leaned back, a grin of amusement still remaining on his face. “If you honestly think what happened was because of you, then maybe you’re not the smart- that you think.”

To that, Kyungsoo didn’t respond and Baekhyun tried to once more immerse himself in the show. But the man’s presence made it impossible now.

'Mr. Mr. Mr. Mr.'

“I have a client who also likes these girls.”

Baekhyun almost rolled his eyes. Wonderful, he was trying to relate to him now. He spared not an ounce of interest when he responded with “Of course. It’s SNSD.”

Kyungsoo scoffed. “You BlackJacks are always like that. You all think your group is the best.”

For a moment Baekhyun couldn’t seem to respond, he was so dumbfounded. “…ing pardon? You called me a what?”

The psychologist continued, undaunted. “I mean I kind of get it… Eun-ji’s pretty cute and Nana’s got great moves, but the other members of SNSD are just forgettable. I think their leader, Hyorin, is quite attractive though.”

“You’re joking,” Baekhyun squeezed his eyes shut and began rubbing circles into his temples. “Please tell me you’re not serious…”

He could almost hear Kyungsoo's nonchalant shrug. “I am… This is the right group, yes? The one who came back with that ‘Eat You Up’ song?”

“Oh please, just shut up! You’re butchering everything-” But as he said this, Baekhyun had turned to Kyungsoo, and he could see now that it was a mistake. For the first time since the psychologist arrived, he finally looked at him- truly looked at him.

To be frank, Kyungsoo looked dog-tired.

Twin greyish circles hung below his eyes- not as deep-set as Baekhyun’s, but still noticeable. The pristine, clean-cut exterior that he’d graced the boy with days ago was now hidden beneath a mop of slightly-tousled, black hair and a crinkled suit. Even the man’s tie dangled loosely down his torso. To anyone else, the man would merely seem business-casual, but Baekhyun knew Kyungsoo better than that. To him, the man looked-

“Done in…” he gasped, more so out of curiosity than fear. “You’re done with life now. That has to be it. And I'm your last 'farewell' before you decided to finish yourself off...”

Kyungsoo began to examine himself, taking in his rumpled sleeves and dress shirt with wide, curious eyes. The shock he seemed to gather from it was enough to tell Baekhyun that the man hadn’t bothered to check a mirror before coming. But just as he was about to point out Kyungsoo’s idiocy, something happened so suddenly that the words lodged in his throat.

Kyungsoo smiled.

The man peered up and beamed at him- flashing an array of white teeth and all. Baekhyun stared without shame, astounded that this man was capable of such a thing. It was so unexpected- so fast that it seemed like it could only be fleeting and Baekhyun would realize it was nonexistent when he blinked. He blinked. The smile remained. The boy was sure he hadn’t been prepared for that.

“So, umm… Has anyone ever told you that your smile is shaped like a heart?” His gaze never left the man’s face, even as his smile began to waver in confusion.

“I’m sorry?”

Baekhyun sighed and ushered to the general area of Kyungsoo’s face. “Your lips do this thing… They just arch higher than anyone else’s I’ve seen, and it looks like a little heart. It’s kind of cute actually.”

The smile vanished so quickly that it was almost comical. “I’m not sure how to respond to that.” The way Kyungsoo said this coupled with the slight puff of his already squishy cheeks gave him a semblance of a pout. Baekhyun narrowly resisted the urge to poke him.

Instead he shrugged. “Just take it as a compliment…” he smirked, “And tell me what happens next. If I haven’t scared you off, does that mean our sessions will continue?”

Kyungsoo nodded and this strange sense of relief settled into Baekhyun’s nerves. For a reason that he couldn’t really fathom, it seemed odd to try and imagine a day without this man barging through his door. It wasn’t impossible, just…odd.

“Pretty much, yes… I don’t know if our deal still stands, but it would help if you chose to cooperate,” he paused, rubbing a weary hand through his dark locks. “I’ll meet you halfway, but only if this is alright with you.” He turned away from Baekhyun then, and back towards the TV, but it was clear he expected an answer.

A beat passed and Baekhyun just watched him. He studied the drawn-out sighs and the blinks that lasted a second longer than they should. He took in the man’s fatigue, and there was something so unsettling about realizing that he was the cause of it. It made him want to fix Kyungsoo just as he aimed to do the same for him. This wasn’t a mere session banked on evaluations and empirical evidence. It was just them- Byun Baekhyun and Do Kyungsoo.

“Yes…” the boy murmured, turning his head towards the screen. He wasn’t sure what else to offer. This wasn’t what he’d expected today, but he was far from disappointed.

The Inkigayo broadcast had long-since ended and a commercial with an insufferable toddler eating yogurt began to air. For just a moment, Baekhyun could imagine Kyungsoo becoming a part of his small world- mapped out in four coated walls of a perpendicular room. He’d be imprinted in the dent Baekhyun left near the door. He'd be whisked out of the air conditioner to rid it of the stale and the hopeless. This place was the closest thing to home that he’d had in a while, and it made him feel safe even at the mercy of his own body. It was comfort and assurance. And maybe he could share it… Just this once.

“You’ll have to teach me more about your fandom though.”

Baekhyun meant to snort, but it morphed into a bout of quaking laughter.

“Don’t make me call Chanyeol in here!"