Perfect

Of Books and Coffees

 


 

The bells of the café hung on the glass doors chimed in synchronization, indicating a customer just entered the shop. It opens at 9 am, and it was just approximately fifteen minutes after the sign was flipped to 'Open'. She was the first to come again like the usual, and was the only customer during this time of the day. The barista looked up from his phone quickly as soon as he heard the bells ring, smiling at her like he usually does. He has been working for this café ever since it has officially opened, that's why he already memorized her every actions.

But today was different.

She didn’t smile back nor even glance at him.

Well that was because she was carrying a pile of books on her tiny hands and was totally eager to put her things on her usual place – the small table located at the far side of the café, near the window. Ever since the café in her small town was built, she always comes there for a cup of coffee and sat at that particular place. It’s like the owner of the shop made it especially for her and her only – Feiyen, the girl with an overflowing grace in whatever she does. She walked to her usual place, with her long laced cardigan flowing with the slight wind she was making in every step. She was wearing all white today – white silky shorts, white shirt with a cute print on the middle, and white cardigan. To Luhan, he was like witnessing an angel who fell from heaven in front of him.

He breathed a sigh of relief, ensured that she wasn’t having a bad day or something. Every morning as soon as she comes here, she never fails to stop just to give him a dazzling smile. It’s like a happy pill to him, and it causes him to have energy to work throughout the day. He dusted the invisible dirt at his brown apron and straightened up from the counter, running up to her struggling figure. She’s just too fragile for those thick books.

“Can I help?” He asks as he stretched out his empty hands to her.

Feiyen stopped walking and stared at him for a moment with her big, hazel eyes. She isn’t uttering a single word, but it made his heart beat rapidly, afraid that he did something wrong.

After a few more seconds of silence and awkwardness at Luhan’s part, she finally spoke. “I forgot that you were here,” she blinked.

Luhan chuckled, shaking his head at her forgetfulness. Of course he is here; his shift is up to noon. “Now let me carry those to remind you that I am here.”

Shaking her head, she moved her hands to the side more so that he wouldn’t grab a hold of the books. “Iced caramel macchiato, please.”

“What?”

“Order,” she firmly says.

Fei, books.” Luhan gave him an equal firm look, and she gave up seeing him like that. She can’t afford making him mad, plus the books were quite heavy to be honest.

She handed him the thick books and left the small ones at her hands, just because she won the argument. If Luhan won the staring contest, he would carry all of those without a second thought. Furthermore, she thought it would be a little bit stupid if she wouldn’t carry even just a single book on her hands. They were still hers to begin with.

Luhan smiled discreetly to himself, feeling a sense of accomplishment.

 

 

Feiyen was tasked to do a lot of things by her boss on the company she was working. Her boss gave her a day off today, probably to finish all of the orders given to her quickly. In other words, more time in the café.

As soon as they reached her table, he told her to wait while he prepares her drink. She nodded and started opening one of the books she was bringing.

Squinting at a particular page, she bites the end of her pink marker trying to read a particular sentence again and again. She had a hard time focusing on her work – she badly needs a coffee right now.

“Instead of that inedible thing, why don’t you try this blueberry cheesecake instead?” A luscious looking cake was placed on her table, together with her iced caramel macchiato.

She looked up from her book and smiled at Luhan. “But I didn’t order for it.”

There were still no customers at that time, so he decided to sit on the small couch beside Feiyen for a while. She has no idea how she knew, but the boy smelled like lavender with a mixture of coffee. Obviously the coffee smell got stuck with his shirt while he was working. Still, he smells really good.

Luhan shrugged and leaned back on the couch. “Try it. Might save you from all the stress.”

She puts the marker in between the pages where she was at then closed the book after. Getting her drink, she punched the straw through the plastic lid and took a sip.

“You’re not going to read anymore?”

She shook her head while still sipping her drink.

“Am I disturbing you?” He was about to stand up, but Feiyen grabbed his hand. Her hand was as smooth as silk against Luhan’s rough ones. He was dying to hold her hands, and he couldn’t believe he was finally. Well, partly. Heat crept up Luhan’s cheeks at the thought of it. It was quite a bold move, but Luhan liked it. Very much.

“You’re not disturbing me,” she pulled him down gently to sit. He shifted a bit from his position, scooting away from her. He might have a heart attack if they still keep that small distance between each other. “I think it’s rude to work while eating a delicious cake.”

He gave her his infamous thousand-watt smile. “As expected, from the perfect Feiyen.”

Perfect? Yes, she is. At least to Luhan’s eyes.

She tilts her head to the side adorably. “You think I am?”

“Of course.”

A red tint was now visible on both of her cute chubby cheeks. Every girl to be called perfect by a man even though she knows herself she has a lot of flaws is really, really flattering. She looked away from him so that he wouldn’t notice her blushing.

Too late he already did.

 


 

One is up! Same old, same old. Lengthy oneshot divided into three or more chapters. Enjoy! :)

PS: The pics I post are obviously not mine, I only search on google because too lazy to edit lol bye