Stars, Coffee, and Peaches (2/2)

Stars, Coffee, and Peaches

“I'm leaving.”

 

“You can't.”

 

“I have to.” Hongbin hates Hakyeon. He wants to cry. Why would he have to leave? There is no reason, though Hakyeon says it's to be with his dying mother. Hongbin finds this ridiculous. He wasn't there for his mother when she died.

 

“I'll be back, I promise.” Lies. Hongbin wants to shout. He doesn't. Instead, he stares at the night sky. There's a bright star near his mother. He names that star Hakyeon.

 

 

 

The coffee in Hongbin's hands smell like Hakyeon. So did the peach Hongbin at earlier.

 

“Two weeks, I promise.”

 

 

 

“I'll be back. Two weeks.” Hongbin's mother nodded at her husband. The man smiled at her, kissing her lips then stepping out of the door. She looked down at her expanded stomach. Eight months pregnant. He promised.

 

Hongbin listened to his mother's stories about her husband, his father. He was fascinated by them. Mr. Lee seemed so amazing, but as Hongbin grew, he wondered. If Mr. Lee was so amazing, why did he never return home?

 

 

 

Two weeks come and go. Hongbin doesn't star gaze anymore. He only watches his ceiling above his bed. He can faintly smell peach. Hongbin wonders what happened to his notebook he lost. He thinks about his entry on Hakyeon. It still rings true.

 

A knock on the door wakes Hongbin. He doesn't want it to be anyone but Hakyeon. It is not. It is Jaehwan.

 

“Hongbin, right?” Jaehwan bears a smile. Hongbin wears a frown.

 

“Yes. You're Jaehwan.” Hongbin's voice is flat. He doesn't care about the man standing in front of him.

 

“Hakyeon wanted me to tell you something. He called me. I couldn't imagine why he didn't just call you directly. He made me come across town for this. He should've given me your number. What an idiot.” Jaehwan is annoying.

 

That is not what Hongbin worries about. He is more concerned about Hakyeon. Did something go wrong? A million things could have happened. Jaehwan isn't sad, though, so everything must be okay.

 

“He wants you to know that your eyes shimmer as well and he will be back in a week. Pretty weird, if you ask me.” Jaehwan's message is delivered. Hongbin thanks him and shuts the door. He can finally smile again.

 

 

 

Hakyeon can hardly recognize Hongbin when the younger boy opens the door. Hongbin does recognize Hakyeon, even if his hair is now totally brown and he's grown, though only a bit.

 

“Hi,” Hakyeon chuckles.

 

“Hey,” Hongbin grins.

 

“Did you miss me?” Hongbin can't even begin to explain how much he missed him, so he just goes with “yes.”

 

 

 

Hongbin likes how Hakyeon's hands fits well with his. He likes how Hakyeon has taken on some of his traits and vise versa. Hongbin likes a lot of things about Hakyeon. Stratch that. He loves them.

 

Hakyeon is beginning to understand why Hongbin enjoys star gazing so much. He soon does it unknowingly by himself. He names the brightest star Hongbin.

 

 

 

Hongbin finds himself waking up to the scent of peach more often. He also finds himself smelling like peach. He doesn't mind. In fact, he loves this. He doesn't know why he's so in love with some man he hardly knew until three months ago, but when he awoken one morning by light kisses, he learns that he doesn't need a reason. Or more specifically, there isn't one exact reason.

 

 

 

Hongbin's days get better and there is no one else to blame for it other than a neighbor who smells like peaches, whose name is Cha Hakyeon.

 

Hakyeon's days get better and the neighbor who likes stars named Lee Hongbin is the only one who makes this possible.

 

 

 

“Have you ever had a boyfriend?” Hakyeon asks one day while Hongbin's head lay in his lap. Hongbin's eyes flutter open and he looks at Hakyeon.

 

“You're my first.” Hongbin confesses and even though they both know they are not dating officially, anyone in the entire galaxy could see they are in love.

 

“You feel like my first.” Hakyeon says softly, petting Hongbin's hair. There is a pause.

 

“What about Taekwoon?” Hongbin asks. It's not the first time he has come up, but Hakyeon always pretends like he has no clue who Taekwoon is.

 

“Dating for three weeks doesn't count.” Hakyeon says, his voice filled with mirth. Hongbin is confused. They aren't even official yet and Hakyeon is saying this. “I didn't love him.” Hakyeon continues before Hongbin can complain. “Not like you. We may not have called it real yet, but I never loved anyone like I love you.” Hakyeon mutters. Hongbin wishes he could return this, but Hakyeon is the only person he's ever been with—he can't compare. All he does is blush. Hakyeon kisses him. It isn't anything but a simple, innocent kiss, but Hongbin can't think of anything better.

 

Hakyeon smiles and in that moment, Hongbin swears that not a single star in the sky shines brighter than him.