Stars, Coffee, and Peaches (1/2)

Stars, Coffee, and Peaches

 Hongbin always enjoyed star gazing. Just by sitting in one place and gazing up, he could see millions of other universes. He never shared this past time with others (no matter how close they were), until he met the new neighbor from across the hall.

 

 

 

At first, it was just a small attraction to the tan boy who smelled of coffee and peach. He thought it was just some childish crush. Hongbin would run into the other every so often, but every time, he thought that he and Prince Peach, or so he called him, grew closer. It was his imagination since they never exchanged words.

 

It wasn't until Hongbin saw Prince Peach bringing home a tall, young man one day that Hongbin decided he must speak with the tan boy. He wondered who the other person was and realized he was jealous. How immature.

 

 

 

Snow layered the ground when Hongbin muttered a hello to his handsome neighbor. Two weeks later, they spoke again.

 

“I always see you at that little coffee shop down two blocks.” the Prince had started the conversation this time.

 

“Do you go there as well?”

 

“I work there.” royalty chuckled. Hongbin blushed at his obliviousness. He was never one to pay attention to the servers at the cafe where his favorite neighbor worked at.

 

“Oh, I never knew.” Hongbin had responded. He was too embarrassed to say much more.

 

“How sad. I served you quite a lot.” Hongbin almost choked at this. He spent all his time day-dreaming and he didn't realize the one who was in them was right there in front of him the entire time. Hongbin muttered out a small apology. Peach only laughed. “Don't be. Name's Hakyeon, if you didn't know.”

 

“Hongbin.” he was extremely happy to finally learn the other's name and he loved the name too. Hakyeon. Hakyeon. Hakyeon. He could listen to it all day.

 

“It's a pleasure. Next time you go to that cafe, look up, alright?” and the tan boy disappeared into his apartment, leaving Hongbin aching to see him again.

 

 

 

“Do you like star gazing?” the question came out to fill the silence that was lingering. It wasn't an awkward silence, but Hongbin wanted to hear Hakyeon's voice.

 

“Never done it. I usually don't have the time.” Hakyeon explained. The duo was sitting outside the quaint cafe. It was Hakyeon's lunch break. Hongbin watched the other boy's lips move. He liked how his dirty blond hair shimmered in the light.

 

“Oh,” was all that came out of Hongbin's mouth. It wasn't like he was upset, he just wished Hakyeon understood him in that sense. All Hongbin's problems vanished with the stars.

 

“Do you?” Hakyeon's voice broke Hongbin's string of thoughts. Hongbin looked up. The two had grown closer, but not enough for Hongbin to invite him star gazing. He wished he could.

 

“Do I what?” Hongbin was confused. His thoughts clouded his mind and he forgot.

 

“Like star gazing.” it sounded perfect rolling off Hakyeon's tongue.

 

“Very much.”

 

 

 

Two years ago, Hongbin's mother died. He never knew his father, but his mother was all he needed. Hongbin had just turned nineteen. He was heading home from the store when ambulances rushed by. He blew it off—this was a normal sight.

 

When he arrived home, everything broke inside of him. It burned up with his home and his mother. She was the only one who loved him.

 

He never cried so much in his life.

 

 

 

“Why?” Hakyeon's question didn't come as a surprise, but Hongbin still had to think.

 

“My mother used to say when loved ones die, they turn into stars. They never leave us, but they disappear by day, like they did down on Earth. They show up at night, like they do in our dreams and thoughts.” Hongbin recited. He liked to look up and think the brightest star was his mother, always there, even if he couldn't see her. “I'm sorry,” Hongbin responded after there was a short silence. “I sound ridiculous.”

 

“No, it's beautiful.” Hakyeon whispered. Hongbin gave him a small, appreciative smile. He wasn't upset, he just wished Hakyeon understood.

 

 

 

Hongbin soon learned that tall boy that visited Hakyeon frquently was Jung Taekwoon, Hakyeon's boyfriend. Hongbin avoided Hakyeon for a week after being informed of this news. This time he was upset, though he was unsure why. He had no right. He only knew Hakyeon briefly. Taekwoon was there from the start.

 

“Why are you avoiding me?” Hongbin had walked out of his apartment at the wrong time. Hakyeon's hands clutched Hongbin's wrist and the words stung.

 

“I've been busy.”

 

“Don't lie.”

 

“I have been busy. Star gazing.”

 

“During the day?” Hongbin pulled away. He wanted so badly to turn invisible. Hakyeon's cold glare saw right through him. He shivered.

 

“I'm sorry.” Hongbin pushed out then rushed off, dropping a brown notebook out of his bag.

 

 

 

Hakyeon's eyes shimmer like the stars. I wanted that shimmer so badly, but it's been taken. I'm jealous, though I shouldn't be. I'm angry, though I shouldn't be. I'm sad, though I shouldn't be. Everything seems distant. The stars that once were so close are now drifting far away. I've lost my place in the universe.

 

 

 

They didn't last long, Hakyeon and Taekwoon. Something didn't click like they thought it did, or that's what Hakyeon said. Hongbin noticed he didn't smell like peach anymore, only coffee. He wonders why. Dark circles have grown under Hakyeon's eyes. Something is missing.

 

“I'm sorry,” Hongbin managed. He is sorry, but he is also grateful. Hakyeon isn't so far away anymore. He's closer and the stars seem that way too.

 

---

 

Hakyeon stays cooped up in his apartment most days. He comes out for work then shuffles back in when the work is done. Hongbin worries.

 

It only takes two knocks for Hakyeon to open the creaky, white door. His eyes are red and the sparkle is gone. Hongbin knows he's been crying.

 

“Are you okay?” Hakyeon replies, no. He invites Hongbin in and Hongbin tries to understand. The living room is a mess, but Hongbin doesn't mind. There is a new scent lingering on Hakyeon. Something changed.

 

The two talk until the moon comes out. The sky is clear that night and Hongbin asks if Hakyeon wants to go star gazing. The latter's answer is pleasing.

 

 

 

“So beautiful.” Hongbin brings Hakyeon to an open field outside the city. The drive is long but worth it. Hakyeon's expression has no price. Hongbin never let anyone else share his stars. He never trusted enough.

 

Very few words go between them. Hongbin doesn't mind—he prefers silence. Hakyeon never lets his gaze leave the sky, but Hongbin only stares at one star.

 

“Which one is your mom?” Hakyeon's question is innocent. It hurts nonetheless. Hongbin raises a finger and points the the brightest star in the dark expanse. Hakyeon breathes out, but doesn't respond. Somehow Hongbin finds his head on Hakyeon's shoulder. Somehow Hakyeon is smiling.

 

 

 

“You smell like peach again.” Hongbin comments. He missed the old, welcoming smell that Hakyeon owned. He's overjoyed it's back. Hakyeon laughs. Hongbin smiles. Silence falls over them—a happy kind of silence.

 

 

 

It's Saturday and Hakyeon is off. The only thing he wants to do is be with Hongbin. Hongbin's feeling is mutual.

 

“We could watch a movie or go shopping. I have some video games you might like. We could go out to eat even. Whatever you like.” Hakyeon is happy. Happier than he's been in a while. He's forgotten Taekwoon and Hongbin fills his mind instead. He lives in constant bliss.

 

“Let's do it all.” Hongbin chuckles and Hakyeon claps. Bliss.

 

Their day starts with a movie.

 

 

 

The two rush back to Hongbin's apartment. Laughter runs down the hall with them as the door slides open and the two slip in. Hongbin pulls Hakyeon to the balcony where cold, night air greets them. Very few stars can be seen.

 

“The brightest one is still there, though.” Hakyeon can see the disappointment in his friend's eyes. Hongbin nods, understanding Hakyeon is trying to help. Hongbin hugs Hakyeon and even though he is surprised, he hugs the younger boy back.

 

Hongbin's mood does not get better until the next morning. Something hit him when he saw the lack of stars that night.

 

“They're still there.” Hakyeon had whispered to Hongbin, holding him in his arms. A single tear ran down Hongbin's face. He's been strong for so long. The armor cracked, suddenly.

 

 

 

Hongbin wakes up to the smell of peach. He looks over and sees a sleeping figure. He smiles. Hakyeon. His blond-turning-brown hair is the only thing visible, but it makes Hongbin happy. He wonders why Hakyeon stayed, especially since his apartment is right across the hall, but he is glad he did.

 

Hongbin crawls out of bed, slowly, trying not to wake the sleeping beauty. He smiles as he walks to the bathroom. Everything is perfect. He knows Hakyeon doesn't think of him more than a friend, but that does not worry him. When someone is in love, everyday is heaven.

 

 

 

Hongbin doesn't like Hakyeon's new, very clingy friend. He pretends he does, but there is something Hongbin hates. It could be because he's scared Jaehwan will be Taekwoon.

 

 

 

“Do you love someone?” Hongbin doesn't want it to fall out of his mouth but it does. Hakyeon looks surprised.

 

“Yes.” Hakyeon answers. Hongbin doesn't ask who and only grins. He pretends it is him. Hakyeon doesn't tell him it is. He doesn't tell him he still has his notebook, which is filled with poetry and confessions. Hongbin would've only cared about one of those.

 

Absolute bliss...

 

...only lasts a bit.