Day 1

Mission: Subject Transfer

When Byunghun woke up, somehow snuggled up in the sheets on the bed, Chunji was already awake, drying his hair with a towel. He looked well dressed, as he did the day before. His job must be the reason for it. Although, Byunghun still found it ridiculous to get dressed just for taking him to the testing center. But despite that, he didn't remember crawling into bed the night before, not after getting electricuted by the collar. Chunji must've brought him here.

"Get up and prepare for the trip." Chunji instructed, tearing the blanket away from Byunghun's grip. The smaller boy gave a look of disappointment, but did as he was told in the end. 

The drive was quiet. Chunji's eyes fixed ahead and Byunghun's were lingering everywhere else. The scraps from take out they ordered several minutes earlier rested in a pile at Byunghun's feet. He didn't seem as interested in the outside as he used to have been. His eyes still surveyed the tree tops and signs on the side of the roads, but there wasn't the glaze; the spark of interest in his expression anymore. Yet, he never looked away. He couldn't possibly look away.

The radio hummed quietly to break the silence and maintain an atmosphere that wasn't so awkward, yet it was at least a little. Chunji seemed to recognize the song, however, Byunghun did not. But he did find it to his liking, and he nearly smiled. It had been a long time since he heard music too.

"Sorry, by the way." The blond broke out, catching Chunji by surprise. He almost steered the car off the road, "And don't get us killed."

The didn't respond right away, instead only chuckled. Beside the fact that Byunghun hadn't been out from where the government kept him in a long time, he still initiated conversations well. He wasn't awkward, or offensive when it came to subjects. It seemed even the government wasn't able to suppress his personality. And he was able to keep it safe from them.

"Just don't go running off again. It's a hassle, you know." Chunji spoke with a sort of light atmosphere to his tone, casually as if he were comfortable with Byunghun's presence, "Man, I was hoping you'd run into a dead end or something too."

Byunghun remained quiet after that, deciding against exposure of more information on him, like why he was deemed valuable to the government to begin with. He had to be more careful. It wasn't hard to figure it out if he was open about it. His eyes latched onto the side mirror and noticed a car behind them, the same one that had been there since they left the fast food place. He paused for a moment before straightening himself in the passenger seat, his hand resting on Chunji's arm. "I think-- I think there's someone following us." 

Chunji glanced at the rearview mirror before casting his gaze ahead once more, ". What the hell do they want?" He gritted his teeth as his eyes searched their surroundings. Before Byunghun could speak, he immediately pressed onto the gas pedal, wheeling onto the ramp of a freeway entrance. The car behind followed after. "Huh. They really are following us. You know 'em?"

Byunghun's eyes peered out the back window, unable to recognize the figures in the car. "No. Not really. Do you? You didn't download something illegal, did you?" 

It wasn't a time to laugh, but Chunji did so anyway, swerving in front of a different car. "No, no, I don't think so." The car following remained on the lane Chunji previously occupied, driving well enough beside them. "Are there any other people after you? You're important, aren't you?"

Byunghun paused, brows arching with skepticism. "I've been locked up back there my whole life. No one but the government would know about me."

"Maybe information leaked." Chunji proceeded to steer the car onto the exit, watching the other car remain on the freeway. He let out a victorious laugh, "Ha! Lost them!"

Somehow, the blond felt more at ease. The situation was indeed intense, but Chunji didn't make it seem like it. Rather, it was enjoyable, as if it wasn't an issue at all. He settled back in his seat with a faint smile present on his lips. They hired the right person for the job, that's for sure. They were now on the left shoulder of a normal street, waiting for the light to transition to green. In the moment it did, Chunji accelerated, and a car immediately slammed into the driver's side of Chunji's car. He ducked his head as the airbags burst open, stretching his arm out in front of Byunghun to keep him from flying forward. The blond, trying to rummage away from the airbag, panicked to see if Chunji was okay. He shouted at the male, grabbing his arm and shaking it while doing so, "Yah, Chunji-ah! Are you okay?!"

Chunji's head was bleeding on the side where his bangs covered, but the liquid spewed out onto the leather interior of his car. His frame was limp against the car seat, and Byunghun, too focused onto the injured male beside him, didn't notice his door being forced open. In one haul, hands dragged him out from the car, covering his mouth with a damp cloth before lugging his skirmish frame away. 

- - -

He gained consciousness after quite some time. His head throbbed, and his hands and feet were restrained together by rope. He paused to adjust his eyes before being able to skim the walls around him. It was roomy, but the atmosphere was muggy. There was no furniture in the space besides the one hanging lightbulb in the center of the ceiling. He tried picking his back up from leaning against the wall, however, his body ached too much to do so. The car incident was now catching up to him. Two people later entered the vicinity, one female, and one male. Both unrecognizable.

"You're awake." The female said with a smile, "That's good. We didn't hurt your head, did we?" She seemed somewhat concerned, but her features were cold.

Byunghun shook his head, not feeling up to return a reply. 

"Good. You're probably wondering why we brought you here." Byunghun nodded, "You see, we need you for something. Something important. And since you're finally let out from that rat hole, we decided to take this opportunity and take you for ourselves." The female crouched down beside him, "We know what you can do. And you don't have a choice but to help us."

"Or you'll kill me." He huffed, practically rolling his eyes.

"Bingo." The male spoke up now, "Don't worry. It isn't much. We just need you for some blueprints. That's all." Byunghun rendered confusion, which implied for the male to continue, "There's a prototype weapon not yet released for the public to view. It claims to kill any target, even if only shot in the leg or arm."

"We'll be seeing it tomorrow. We've managed to make a deal with its creator, and you're invited." The female concluded, grinning.

Byunghun fell speechless, understanding the momentum he was now under. This was what he was afraid of, his gift being processed in ways that'll help crime rates increase, or some sort of evil prevail. If only he wasn't born with it, he wouldn't have become such a target to aim after. His existence wouldn't matter. The two strangers almost cackled watching his hesitant yet helpless position. But the other option began to sink into his head, and strangely, he found it enticing. Death. End it all now and no one gets hurt. He wouldn't have to be used as a test subject any longer, and... he'll be free. That's all he ever wanted.

But before he could speak, the door burst open. The reason for it stood right at the frame. Byunghun recognized him immediately.

It was Chunji.

"What the?! How'd he find us?!" The female stammered, reaching in her back pocket, but before she was able to pull out her gun, a bullet ripped through her skull. Her weak body collapsed onto the floor as blood painted the floor beneath her. The male lifted his gun toward Chunji, shaking a bit as he did so. 

"I'll shoot. I swear I'll shoot." There was panic in his voice, but it left Chunji unfazed. His own weapon directed at the male as well. Noticing the lack of change in Chunji's expression, the male shifted his gun towards Byunghun, shoving the barrel against the blond's head. He winced at the sudden prod. "I'll shoot!"

Chunji stiffened in his position, and for a moment, it didn't seem like he cared, but eventually, he dropped his gun, "Okay. I won't shoot you. Now don't shoot him."

Panic was still evident in the stranger, and Byunghun sensed it. The gun prodded further against his skull. "Don't come near!"

Chunji followed the instructions given to him, and remained near the door. The male, resting his eyes back onto his now dead partner, seemed to only become more unstable. His eyes remained on her for quite some time. And that's when Chunji silently approached from behind him, slamming his elbow against the back of the man's head. He immediately slumped to the floor from the impact. Byunghun, who was still shaky from the whole situation, stared widely at the ; his jaw dropped open, but nothing would come out. Not even a thank you.

They made it to a nearby motel by a cab, considering Chunji's car was now being worked on, and finally was able to rest. Chunji, who stretched out on the bed almost too comfortably, let out a yawn in the process. Byunghun took a few strides around the room to walk off the subtle numbness in his legs. From the corner of his eye, he noticed the 's injuries were still untended for. The open wound on his temple, and a few bruises along his cheek. He searched the motel room for a first aid kit, finding one in the bathroom cabinet and returned to the resting male. He didn't notice Byunghun until a wet napkin flattened onto the side of his forehead. In response, he stirred a bit with resistance.

"I'm trying to help." Byunghun ushered him to quit moving, "I'll get you at least decently bandaged up." With that, Chunji didn't stifle another grunt, and instead remained silent during the process. Occasionally, he would wince from the alcoholic substance etching onto his skin. When Byunghun finished, Chunji had more than one band-aid, and some on places that were unnecessary to be placed, but the male didn't question, for he was too worn out to even begin.

As Byunghun placed the contents back into the first-aid kit, he allowed a small smile to grace his lips, looking at the red plus engraved onto the box, "Thank you, by the way." He said, moving his gaze to the dozing male beside him, "For coming to save me. I don't know how you found me, but I'm glad you did."

Just as he stood to put the kit away, he heard a mumble from Chunji, who didn't bother opening his eyes, "... The.. The Collar.."

There was a long pause of silence before Byunghun immediately erupted into a fit of laughter, tracing his fingers along the rim of the device. The one thing he dreaded at the moment happened to be the sole reason for his rescue. It was ironic, but more than anything, he was grateful for it.

He was still a prisoner in his own skin, but he was alive.

And at that moment, it was worth it.