3: His Apartment

Thank You, Ahn Daniel

The two walked five blocks until they reached their destination, Daniel's apartment. Hyorin was having some second thoughts on her decision about following the stranger to his home. Whenever Niel would feel the tension in the air, he would give Hyorin a nice warm smile. 

The thing was that it worked. 

It really did make her feel warm inside and Hyorin never felt that way before. Ever.

"Well, here's my place!" Niel extended his arms out after entering his apartment. The two had to walk about a flight of stairs and walk down a short hallway to get to his home. Hyorin nodded, "It's very cozy" she said as she took note of how most of the furniture would have something knitted on top or under it.

"Do you knit?" Hyorin asked as she sat down on the couch with a dark green blanket. 

Niel laughed a little, "Ah...yeah. Whenever I have time since I my grandmother taught me before she passed..."

Hyorin looked at Niel as he spoke and immediately felt sorry as she saw his expression darken a little when he mentioned his grandmother. "I'm so sorry for your loss..."

Niel waved his hand, "Nah, don't worry about it. It was years ago."

Not wanting to have an awkward atmosphere Hyorin grabbed the green blanket and held it up to her face. "It's so cozy... I wish I knew how to knit." 

"It's easy!" Niel said, "I'll teach you sometime."

*Sometime...meaning I would have to see him again* Hyorin thought. Not that she didn't mind. Niel was a great guy and she would love to visit whenever she could. It's just that she remembered the reality she lives in. 

After a few hours she would have to return home and face her family. 

The one who caused her all this anxiety and depression.

The ones who never cared.

Having all these thoughts in Hyorin's mind caused a sad frown on her face that Niel noticed quickly. 

"Hey, hey what's wrong?" Niel asked, sitting down next to her on his couch. 

Hyorin shrugged, "It's just..."

Niel smiled, "You can tell me anything..."

Hyorin took a deep breath and explained her whole situation about her and how her family is. Hyorin noticed the way how Niel would look into her eyes and would really listen to her story. Listen. This was the first time she got it out of her chest and she felt so relieved. 

Finishing her last sentence, Hyorin leaned back on the couch and wiped her tears on her sweater. "That's it...I'm sorry I got you into this."

"No, it's fine. I totally understand..."

"You probably think I'm a wreck."

Niel shook his head, "You aren't Hyorin. You're a beautiful person and your family hasn't seen it yet."

Hyorin smiled weakly, "Thanks Niel."

"It's getting late." Niel stood up. "I'll be right back." After a few seconds, Niel came back with two sleeping bags and laid them out on his carpet after pushing away the coffee table. He left the room again and returned with many pillows in his arms. 

He quickly dropped them onto the ground and handed Hyorin a blanket. 

"It's like a sleepover!" Niel said. "Come on Hyorin, come lay in your sleep bag~"

Hyorin obeyed and joined Niel on the ground which was surprisingly pretty comfortable. Hyorin slipped herself in the sleeping bag and looked over at Niel who plugged in a lamp and placed it on top the coffee table. 

He then stood up to  turn off the living room lights in his apartment. "Hyorin ah, can you please switch the lamp on..." Hyorin did the favor and smiled once the lamp was on since this lamp's light shined a shadow of little birds. 

"That's adorable..."

"Isn't it? I made it myself."

"You're pretty good with crafts," Hyorin said as she laid herself down in the sleeping bag. 

Mirroring her action, Niel laid back on his pillow as well. "Not really...I just have nothing else to do. I have a lot of free time." 

The two continued to talk until they got sleepier. 

As her eyes began to get heavy, Hyorin felt the weight on her shoulders lift. "Good night Niel ssi, thank you for everything."

Niel smiled from his sleeping bag. "Good night Hyorin."

And on that night, Hyorin fell asleep with a smile on her face. 

____