chapter_3

The Curse: Scarlet Tears

 

His heart was pounding rapid and heavy, his chest heaving out disheveled shallow breathings; his mind was drowned with countless of emotions and he was still running. He was running, running away so ghastly from that boy, away from the one who dreaded his mind with chaotic thoughts, away from he who brought back the memories that he gravely wanted to forget, just away from him, heading to wherever his legs were bringing him to.

 

He just kept on running. He ran, and ran, and ran, and just ran until he felt like his legs were finally giving away, wobbling and trembling harshly, feeling like his muscles were about to be torn apart. But the pain in his legs weren’t as bad as what his heart was feeling. It wasn’t even close to the feeling of his heart being torn into pieces, shredded into irreparable bits and burnt down into ashes before they were blown away, until nothing was left of him. Nothing but just a shattered being.

 

And as his legs were feeling weaker and shaky, he finally put a stop to his running, his face expressing one of the devastated looks as he heavily dragged himself towards a large tree just a few steps away from him. He was panting harshly, his chest still heaving as heavily as it had been, his head tilted upward and his eyes were gazing sadly upon the thin air, looking as alone as he had always been. He then lowered his head back as his eyes desolatedly stared at the names carved on the tree in front of him.

 

 

And as he saw those carved words, sadness brewed harshly in his heart. No, sorrow or sadness wasn’t enough to describe what he was feeling. For what he felt at that moment was surely more than that, his heart was twisting excruciatingly, squeezing every ounce of his blood out of his heart. A small bit of memory was monochromicly sketched through his head, old wound reopened as he recalled the words that he used to carve a long time ago.

 

 

As the memory flew over his mind, his lips slightly parted to mumble what have been wandering in his head, a name then quietly escaped his mouth, startling even himself for muttering that long buried name.

 

“Lee Donghae…” A look of agony contorted on his face, his lips quivering into a slight tremble as he held in his sobs. His face winced at the thought of crying for he thought; it had been a long time since he had last shed his cursed tears. He then brought his hand closer to his chest, just above the area where his heart should be as he clenched on his shirt, harshly chewing on his lips as he was trying his hardest to resist the urge of crying. But his strong will was probably wavered; his resolve was timidly shaken, for he had utterly failed to hold his tears back, ultimately betraying his promise to Kyuhyun.

 

“Donghae…” He couldn’t resist himself from calling upon that name again, his voice was trembling slightly before he gelt a warm drop of tear silently sliding down his cheek, his scarlet hazy vision was of proof that he finally  shedded his cursed tears.

 

He shook his head heavily; his rational refused to believe that he was in fact crying, and so, he brought his fingers up to his face, slowly brushing them against his drenched cheek, just to found the thick liquid sliding down his slender fingers. And just like that, the sight of the trickling blood stung his heart, inflicting an even harsher pain into his already pained heart.

 

“No… I can’t be crying…” Cried Eunhyuk silently. He hastily tried to wipe the tears off his cheek, but the more he denied his own feeling and tears, the more they flooded down, drenching his face with a darker stain of red.

 

“I shouldn’t be crying. Not now. Not after all these times…” He wailed, wiping off the tears for which his effort was in vain because the stain wouldn’t come off as easily as a simple tear. And Eunhyuk wouldn’t stop grieving. The tears wasn’t helping him to ease the pain in the least bit, and he wondered why do people kept on urging one to cry, when all it did was adding more pain to the one that he was already feeling.

 

“Why did he have to appear now? Why now? Why now out of all time? When I was finally getting on my life… When I was trying to leave everything back there… Why…? Just why…?” He yelped quietly, as he leant in and stooped forward, his forehead touching against the wooden tree, his tears still drowning his pale face.

 

It was only for a mere second, but Donghae’s face had certainly crossed his mind, for he could still vividly saw how those round eyes were intensely staring against his, how those dark orbs had looked just as surprised as he was a while ago. And he couldn’t help, but ponder of the reason. He swallowed thickly as a sudden rush of throb flooded down his heart, a blooming thought was bubbling erratically inside his mind, for he wondered if maybe, just a small maybe, that he actually still remembers him, after all these times. He unknowingly blurted out what he thought, a small smile creeping up on his lips as he did.

 

“Did he… recognize me?” He asked but more to himself, but as soon as the words escaped his parted lips, he abruptly shook his head, his smile immediately disappearing from his face; both his hands were ruffling his hair in heavy frustration as his tears continued on showering his pale face.

 

“No… He couldn’t be. He shouldn’t be. He wouldn’t recognize me. He wouldn’t remember me. He surely wouldn’t. Because it’s Donghae we’re talking about here…” He answered to himself; a disappointed sigh escaped his lips just after that.

 

How he missed him now. That thought suddenly beamed through his mind, yet again. He missed that boy, and he couldn’t say it out loud. He wanted to pull him into his arms, but he couldn’t do it right. He only wanted to talk to him, yet his mind would always halt him from doing so. He knew he had all the chances to go and find him, but for some reason, his heart had been refusing to do so, for he thought it would be best to let everything remained as it is. But just as the thought of finally seeing him once more appeared in his head, he felt his heart being utterly betrayed by his own mind. He shook his head abruptly.

 

“No…I shouldn’t be thinking this way. We’re not supposed to meet again. I don’t want to see him. I don’t want to meet him… I don’t want to see his face… We shouldn’t meet... We shouldn’t… We couldn’t….” He helplessly yelped lowly under his breath, his words slowly trailing off into a silent whimper as his voice was quivering and trembling, his loud sobs taking over his words. As much as his rational tried to convince himself with those empty words, he knew that deep inside, he still craved to see him, dying to throw himself into the boy’s embrace, telling him how much he had missed him, saying how much he had wanted to see the other. But he couldn’t, because he was weak and powerless, and for countless of times, he had blamed himself for those reasons, for being such a coward and for being an egotistical bastard.

 

As heavy frustration had sunk in him, a lonely despair quietly had him trailed from behind; he let out a loud groan as he punched the wooden tree ever so strongly, grazing his fist into a harsh wound as blood was slowly trickling down in between the nook of his clenched fingers. But the wound on his fist wouldn’t even faze him, because all the pain that he felt were in his heart, and only in his heart. Any other wound was completely nothing to him, because all that was about pain was all in his heart.

 

He continued crying quietly, muttering countless of why’s as he grieved over his pitiable fate, crying and crying endlessly without even bothering that his scarlet tears were hovering his face, waiting to be find out by a human being. And as though his thought was quickly answered, it was at that exact moment, when a husky voice had jumped in calling for him, the spoken words shaking his soul into a big shock, as though it was forcing his soul out of his body. Because it was that name…

 

“Hyukjae...?”

 

And that name had shaken his heart, for it was definitely and undeniably, his long forgotten name, the name that he had buried in the depth of his broken mind, the name of which hatred was it all about. It was that hated name, which was why only few had come to know of it, and one of them, was definitely Donghae. Lee Donghae.

 

 

“Lee… Hyukjae…?” 

 

A deep crease quickly formed on his forehead as soon as that face occupied his blank head, his widened orbs narrowing at the disappearing back of the other for the only thing that crossed his mind at that moment was that name and that face. And Donghae was certain, no, he was convinced that the boy just now was none other than the Lee Hyukjae that he saw in those visions, that he ultimately remembered in his head.

 

Just as when the running figure was gradually drifting away, slowly being hidden by Siwon’s big head, Donghae frantically slammed his palm into his friend’s face before he forcefully pushed his head away just to see that figure again. But he only sighed in disappointment when all he could see was the heavy air and the trees following down the path that the boy had taken.

 

And surely his best friend wasn’t as delighted as he was a few moments ago when Donghae had slapped his face away just at the moment he was about to ‘play kiss’ with the latter. And it was sheer anger and humiliation that the lad was feeling.

 

“Yah! Did you just slap me?!” The taller shrieked much in anger, his fair skin flushed a deep shade of red as blood was rushing up his face. But Donghae didn’t even bother to flinch at the sudden shout, when all he did was stare at nothing and only bobbed his head up and down, giving a subtle and reluctant nod without even taking a short glance at the fuming boy. His head was still clouded with the image of that face, that beautiful face which had been hanging around in his mind since forever, that person he had been dying to see, that person he was being so curious to meet and know. It was that person and he was there just a moment ago. He was standing there, in front of him. The one in his head, finally, in front of him. And that thought still hadn’t sunk in his head, floating and wondering aimlessly in his sea of thoughts.

 

“Yah, Lee Donghae! You just slapped me in the face and now you didn’t even bother to look at me?!” Siwon shrieked yet again, snapping his fingers a few times just in front of Donghae, a frown was obviously visible on his flushed face. But as he noticed how his friend was still looking at nothing without even blinking, a slight concern and worry crept in his heart, as he wondered if it was those visions again that had made his friend looking as entranced as this, playing his mind into another turmoil. And his thought wasn’t as far from the truth, as Donghae’s mind was definitely occupied by that same feature face, flashing through his head with its many different expressions, all were coming from his previous visions, collectively stacking up endlessly ever since he was small.

 

“YAH!” And there it was again, Siwon’s high-pitched shriek, startling the observant fangirls with his sudden change of voice and abruptly snapping Donghae out of his heavy thoughts. But soon, his shriek only earned him a piercing merciless glare from the latter, looking as though he was about to strangulate and kill the taller lad for whatever reason that was in his head. Most probably because his voice was too deafening, or just because of his play kiss attempt a.k.a you-just-crossed-the-line reason. And Siwon probably had guessed for both, because first of all, Donghae had never liked his voice, and second, Siwon just breached his personal space, and Donghae obviously didn’t like it.

 

Siwon heavily gulped his thick saliva upon seeing the deep frown on his best friend’s face, an awkward grin tugged on his lips as his empty brain was working hard on some excuses for him to escape the other’s wrath. Donghae then widened his eyes at Siwon, extending his neck along the way as he chewed on his lower lips while bringing his fist up in the air, feigning as though he was about to explode and beating the crap out of the poor boy. Siwon’s body jolted in a strong flinch, his eyes tightly closed as he shielded his head with his arms, trying to protect himself from the future rainfalls of heavy punches and smacks. All the excuses he had come up with just now were quickly gone in a mere second, his head was completely filled with fear agaisnt the smaller boy. But much to his suprirse, what hit him wasn’t any punches or slaps or even a kick, but only a thinning voice, words adorned with sweet threats was shouted from afar.

 

“Just you wait, Siwon! I’ll beat you up to your death once I come back! So kiss goodbye to your handsome face while you can, you !!!” Donghae yelled loudly as he ran ahead of him.

 

Siwon’s eyes fluttered open as he heard the shouts, a slight crease was forming on his face for when he opened his eyes, all that he saw was Donghae’s disappearing back with the latter’s clenched fist pumping in the air, surely the fist was specially directed for him who was left behind. And Siwon blinked in surprise.

 

“Well, I guess my handsome face is safe for now. But where is he going?” He mumbled the question to himself, his fingers gracefully tapping on his chin as he pondered for an answer. His fans were already swarming around him, staring at the boy questioningly, for they too wanted for an answer. And as Siwon babbled to himself on some possible answers, his eyes suddenly widened in conflicted surprise.

 

“I’m sure he said something just now… And it was… It was something along… Lee…Hyukjae wasn’t it?”

 

And silence fell upon him.

 

"……"

 

“..... Wait, Lee Hyukjae?!!”  And with only that single name, a throbbing pain struck him hard like thunder.

 

 

As his legs were still swinging on full force, running as fast as he could down the path he saw Eunhyuk had taken just a while ago, his eyes wandered around aimlessly at everywhere, searching for that lean figure at every possible hiding spots. His breathing was rapid and shallow as he ran, exhaustion was slowly but surely taking over his body. And it was then, when he heard a loud groan reverberating from where he assumed was his left, halting his legs from running any further as he stood still at his spot, his head abruptly turning to his left. The shout had sounded so painful and so devastated, that Donghae felt a little hesitant to go and seek for its owner. He was about to turn around and left the area to continue looking for Eunhyuk when he heard that unique voice, again. And it was sobbing.

 

He was crying…’ Thought Donghae as he gazed upon the direction where he heard the sobbing was coming from. And his cries sounded too desperate that it made Donghae’s heart clench in a strange way, a lonely sadness slowly growing in his chest. And he couldn’t help it when his legs had slowly stepped forward towards the sobbing voice, approaching a lean figure whom was leaning just below a large tree, an infamous legendary tree for granting a wish of true love, a tree where most lovebirds liked to carve their names on its bark, praying for a happily ever after and wishing for their love to last forever. It was that kind of tree. Special and adored, worshipped even.

 

And as the distance between them slowly growing shorter, the lean figure finally falling into his view, his heart thumping rapidly everytime they were a step closer, Donghae finally could clearly see how just ahead of him, a boy was stooping his body against the wooden tree, his shoulders jerking along with his hiccups and his fist thumping hard on the bark a few times as he howled a heartbreaking cry. And at that exact moment, Donghae knew who he was. Because the boy had looked awfully familiar for he had been appearing in his mind for so many times he had even lost the count. It was that boy in his vision, the boy he knew of but had never had the chance to meet. It was none other than the Lee Hyukjae, the mysterious boy with his feature tear.

 

Donghae was then close enough to Eunhyuk to listen to his quiet yet audible wail, his cry was truly full of sorrow and… full of disappointment. And Donghae hopelessly felt his heart twist into a slight pain as he heard the cry.

 

“--- I was trying to leave everything back there… Why… Just why… ” cried the boy, his fingers were firmly digging into the wooden tree, and to Donghae, the view was just too painful for him to see, it was just too heartbreaking. And so, he decided to call for him, for some reason, he just wanted to. Maybe with that, he could ease the pain in his heart. Maybe with that, he could at least end the heartbreaking cries and soothe the boy. But maybe, just maybe, his good will was a wrong mistake he shouldn’t have taken, for his next call, would only bring a severe misery for the cursed boy.

 

“Hyukjae…?” He called, his voice was stiff, as he was trying to contain his voice from quivering. And Eunhyuk's shoulder jerked up upon the call, his cries halted abruptly, and a slight gasp immediately followed soon after, but the boy didn’t immediately turn around towards him when he was instead stiffened on the groud, his body numbed against the tree. Donghae was definitely startled with the strange reaction coming from the boy, but he paid no heed to it and so he called for the name again, this time in full.

 

“Lee… Hyukjae..?” He called again, his voice sounded a little hesitant for he thought, maybe he had called for a wrong person. But his doubt soon quickly dispersed away when the boy lifted his head away from the tree before he gradually rotated his body to finally face the one who called his name. Both pairs of eyes immediately widened in sheer surprise as soon as both faces fell into view, the faces that were all too familiar, but both were for two different reasons.

 

Eunhyuk’s eyes rounded widely as soon as he saw Donghae standing right in front of him, his heart was palpitating heavily as he bit on his inner cheek, trying his hardest to supress the intermingled feelings in his heart. He felt so happy, so pleasent to find Donghae finally standing in front of him, intensely staring at him and calling his name, but in the meanwhile, his heart felt a sudden tug of deep sorrow overshadowing his happiness, for he thought, he wasn’t supposed to see him, he wasn’t supposed to be there, especially not when he was in his weakest state, in his vulnerable mind, in his cursed being. And when another call hit his ears, he jumped out of his chaotic reverie.

 

“Are you Lee Hyukjae?” Asked Donghae again, his head tilting to the side as a hint of concern was shaded on his face. As the question was brought up, he quickly snapped back into reality before he hastily wiped off the tears on his face, leaving behind a deep smudge of scarlet red on his pale skin. And after he did, his eyes then intensely stared at the boy in front of him, a slight frown visible on his face as a thought crossed his mind.

 

‘Did he just call me Hyukjae? Could he still possibly remember me?’ and as the thought kept on playing again and again in his mind, he couldn’t help but unknowingly voiced out one of his thoughts.

 

“Do you… possibly recognize me?” He asked him all of a sudden, his voice was husky and hoarse, probably because he had been crying since quite a while ago, startling the concerned boy with his sudden question. Donghae blinked his eyes blanklu, stranged and surprised.

 

‘How did he know that I know him?’ he mentally asked himself, curious for why would the boy asked him that question. But Donghae only narrowed his eyes at the boy, his lips slightly parted for he didn’t know how should he go answering about that difficult question. It’s for sure the boy wouldn’t believe him if he had told him that he had known the boy only from his visions. No one ever believed his words when he had told them of his special ability, no one except for the oblivious Siwon of course.

 

“Uh.. Yes, but not really… Uh, it’s, it’s complicated.” And he decided to settle with that answer, for he thought it would be too early for him to tell the boy. But his answer only made Eunhyuk’s deep frown to crease even deeper, probably thinking that his answer wasn’t satisfying his question. And Donghae took his deepening frown as a cue for him to at least explain a bit further than that.

 

“Umm… It’s actually complicated, err, how do I explain this. I – Umm, I actually know you, but I didn’t exactly know you, like a lot. I mean, I’m not really a stalker. I don’t stalk boys! But, you know, I just… I just know you. And that’s how I could recognize your face… I know you, but I didn’t know you.” And thus, he concluded his explaination with a complicated statement, which of course earned him a confused look on Eunhyuk’s face. Or maybe, he looked a bit sad?

 

“So, all you’re saying was, you didn’t know me?” And with those words he spat out, a bitter look followed soon after, his eyes gazing down on the ground as he clenched on the hem of his shirt, crumpling them into a tight grip. And Donghae felt a slight guilt creeping out in him when he saw the disappointed look on his face. He couldn’t help but wonder why would the boy looked that way when it was their first time meeting each other. But Donghae, oblivious and just clueless to the words he was about to say, had spat out a piercing sentence for he thought it would be the best asnwer to the question.

 

“Yeah. How could I know you when I didn’t even know you existed before this moment?” And a heavier guilt quickly crushed down on him when he saw how the boy was looking like he was about to cry again as soon as he heard him answer.

 

‘So you didn’t even remember me anymore.’  Eunhyuk thought as he nibbled on his lower lips, trying to hold back the growing sadness in him. The look on his face was crushing Donghae with a large guilt, and so he tried to save the situation by attempting for another comfort, but utterly failed for every words he spluttered after had only made the bitter look on the other’s face to grow even stronger.

 

“I- I mean, this is after all our first meeting. Of course I wouldn’t know you. Err, I mean, uhhh don’t take this wrong please. I – I just, uhh I’m sorry. Everything I said probably doesn’t make sense to you but trust me, I didn’t mean to hurt your feeling. I’m sorry.” He apologized in the end, although he wasn’t sure why he should be. And with his rambling explanation, Eunhyuk only sighed deeply before he weakly shook his head left and right. The urge to cry already disappeared. He should’ve thought about it, he should’ve known that he wouldn’t remember him. After all, everything was in the past, and a past shall remain in the past.

 

“It doesn’t matter. I should have guessed it right from the beginning. You don’t have to apologize. It should be me saying my sorry. Sorry for being weird by asking you that.” He apologized however, his eyes still gazing at the green grass on the ground, avoiding Donghae’s wondering eyes. A warm smile tugged on Donghae’s lips when he heard him, as he thought that they were finally on a good term for both had already spit out their words of apology. And thus, Donghae thought that it was finally the good time to ask the boy a question after he had garnered enough of his courage.

 

He then took a decision to bend his body a little, his head tilted upward as he tenderly gazed upon the other’s face which had been tilting downward since a while ago.

 

“Are you crying?” He suddenly asked with his husky voice, eyes still staring up at the bowing boy.

 

Surprised and startled with the sudden engage of eye contact, Eunhyuk jolted backwards in complete surprise, his brown orbs adorably widened as he slightly nibbled on his lips, his cheeks pinkened as he felt his face burning up in embarrassment.

 

“W- what?” His head couldn’t digest what the boy had asked, so he unknowingly spluttered out in panic, not knowing how should he respond to it. Donghae only chuckled contently as he saw Eunhyuk’s adorable panic bout, but he quickly halted before he voiced out his question again, his loose fist hovering in front of his lips, trying to hide his small chuckle from the boy.

 

“I’m sorry if I startled you. I was only asking if you had been crying just now.” And his question only had Eunhyuk subtly and blankly nodding his head as a response, and so Donghae had to ask him again.

 

“Have you been crying just now?”

 

Eunhyuk rapidly shook his head while his eyes widened, trying as much as to deny his simple question.

 

“No, I didn’t cry.” He stated firmly, his pinkened cheek gradually returning to its normal color, his head now held straight as though he was trying to look confident with his answer. But Eunhyuk couldn’t lie to him, for he had already seen those cursed tears, what more with the evident smudge on his face. Donghae chuckled again when he saw how lousy the boy’s acting was.

 

“Don’t lie to me. I saw you cry.” Said Donghae, eyes narrowing at the other’s face as his lips tugged into a small pout. And how Eunhyuk had missed that adorable pout.

 

“No, you didn’t. You didn’t see me cry.” Despite him missing the other’s pout and all, Eunhyuk knew he shouldn’t endorse himself more with that adorable sight, so he quickly tried to retort, a few drops of panic sweats were starting to form on his forehead.

 

“Yes, I did.” And Donghae was being stubborn.

 

“No, you didn’t.” But Eunhyuk too, was a stubborn boy, unfortunately. And so, their bickering ensued endlessly.

 

“Yes, I did!”

 

“No, you didn’t!”

 

“I did!”

 

“No, you did not!”

 

“Yes, I definitely did!”

 

“Don’t lie to me! You didn’t see me cry!”

 

“Yes, I did! And I didn’t lie!”

 

“Yes, you lied! Because I never cry!”

 

“No, I didn’t lie! And I never lie!”

 

“I don’t care! I still didn’t cry!”

 

“Don’t lie to me, and just admit that you just cried!”

 

“A boy never cry!”

 

“But I always cry…!”


“………..”

 

And a moment of silence took part in their little argument. Donghae’s lips tugged into an awkward grin, so awkward just because…. His utmost secret was revealed. He just admitted himself for being a crybaby, and that was the one thing that he didn’t want people to find out… For he had decided not to be a crybaby immediately once he entered adulthood, and apparently, his plan had failed, utterly destroyed on his first day of school.

 

“Don’t you dare tell people about that.” He said, sounding a little threatening although his face had looked as panic as a lost child. And Eunhyuk only smirked and shrugged his shoulders off at the boy, choosing to remain silent as he felt a slight content growing in his chest because he just learnt of one of his weaknesses. Although it wasn’t really a secret to him.

 

“I mean it, don’t tell anyone about that.” Now he sounded begging, his eyes blinking rapidly as his lips pursed into a long pout.

 

“And now, where’s the ‘please’?” said Eunhyuk, teasing. And Donghae pouted even longer than usual at his teasing.

 

“Fine. Please…?” Donghae replied, his voice adorned with slight annoyance as he voiced out the word. And Eunhyuk looked a bit too amused upon his defeated look before he only nodded his head agreeing, even smiling in content. And just sheer happiness. But the happiness didn’t last for long, for Donghae just had to bring up the topic yet again after a few seconds of comfortable silence.

 

“So, you were crying just now, didn’t you? May… May I know why?” He asked, his voice sounded a bit cautious, for he was afraid if the boy might be offended or uncomfortable with his curious mind. Eunhyuk could only heaved a heavy sigh.

 

“Could you please drop that question?” He asked, although it sounded more like a low plead.

 

“But --- I saw them!” Donghae retorted much in dissatisfaction, because Eunhyuk was still trying to be stubborn. And Eunhyuk abruptly felt a sudden tug on his heart, his calmed heartbeats starting to pound harder, and faster, as nervousness was surely crawling into his heart.

 

“No, you didn’t see anything.” He tried to stay as calm as he could, despite his heartbeats racing fiercely like a bullet train. He tried to make Donghae stop, stopping him from asking him more questions, stopping him from mentioning what he had feared him saw, begging him in his mind to never mention those words, and pleading him in his head to feign ignorance for once. But it was Donghae, and the Donghae he knew, was never once a man who would ignore other being, for he was a nice guy with a very kind soul.

 

“But I really saw them! Y- Your tears, they were scarlet red…” Although a bit hesitant, Donghae still said the inevitable fact, and with that, Eunhyuk’s heart was broken. All sorts of thoughts and questions were crossing his head, as his old wound reopened with every words that were pondering inside his mind. Why couldn’t Donghae betray him when he needed him to? Why couldn’t he stop doing what he had feared him to do the most? Why did he have to find him then, exactly at his most vulnerable state? Why does everyone keep on catching him at his weakest moment? Just like how he did, twelve years ago. And just like how Kyuhyun did, seven years ago.

 

Eunhyuk shook his head hastily at Donghae’s words.

 

“Please, you did not just say that.” He said, his voice was trembling and his chin was quivering. Donghae frowned at his statement, tilting his head to his right as a confused and questioning look was hovering his face.

 

“What do you mean?” He asked confused. Eunhyuk only swallowed thickly.

 

“Forget it.” Firmly, he spoke. And his words startled the confused boy.

 

“What?”

 

Just forget it. Forget everything. Treat it like nothing had happened. Those tears are fake. They’re not real. Don’t bother yourself with them. Just forget the tears. Forget about me.” And bitterly, he said, asking the boy to erase him from his train of thoughts.

 

“What do you mean forget? As if I could forget them!” The boy hissed, absolutely confused with the strange demand. And Eunhyuk smiled bitterly at his reply. ‘You need to forget about me too, not only the tears.’

 

But he just simply replied.

 

“You should.” His eyes were wandering everywhere but him.

 

Donghae only shook his head.

 

“How could I?” He said. “When they were so beautiful.” He continued.

 

 ‘Even more beautiful than those that I saw in my hazy visions.’ He wanted as much as to say them out loud, but he chose to speak of them only in his head, for Eunhyuk didn’t know about his ability, the ability that was all about him, all about Lee Hyukjae.

 

Eunhyuk was startled. He didn’t expect that coming from him, coming from Lee Donghae, the Lee Donghae that he had missed so much. And he felt flippant, and so much happiness brewing in him when he heard that word coming from him. And he didn’t even have the time to wonder, why didn’t he feel the same way when Kyuhyun was the one saying it? When all these time, he had thought that he liked Kyuhyun. No, he likes Kyuhyun. He still does. So why?

 

And as though his boyfriend could read his mind, as though he could feel that the one he loves so much was in a turbulent trouble, the loving boy appeared, coming to his rescue just like how a knight in his shining armor would when its prince was troubled.

 

“Hyukkie? Yah, Hyukkie! Where are you?!” Kyuhyun shouted, calling for him not far away from them. And it was only a few seconds after, when he had found them, shocking Kyuhyun as he found his boyfriend’s face drenched and smudged with red, seeing how a boy was standing in front of hi. And of cours  it didn’t help how Eunhyuk was staring at the boy, much in startl and sheer happiness, that Kyuhyun had never seen before. His blissful look, his sincere happiness, all of him as for that moment, Kyuhyun had never seen them before this day. And it hurt him a little on the inside, for he somehow knew, it wasn’t him who made him look that way, who made that fluttering look on his face.

 

And soon, he found himself boiling in anger, full annoyance was surfacing out of his heart, as he quickly rushed towards his boyfriend before pulling the latter into his embrace.

 

“Hyukkie!” He called worriedly, his hand swiftly grabbing Eunhyuk’s shoulder before pulling him into a side embrace, his other hand protectively sliding over his head, yielding the boy under his strong arm. And soon, Eunhyuk found his palpitating heart slowly calming down as soon as he felt the warmth of his boyfriend.

 

And suddenly, he felt a heavy guilt came crushing down on him, for a sudden thought had crossed his mind, as he thought how cruel could he be, and how disloyal he was being, for being so mirthful and happy just because another guy had called his tears beautiful, when he didn’t even feel that way whenever Kyuhyun was the one who said them. Yes, he was happy and embarrassed when Kyuhyun had called him beautiful, but it was different when it came down to his tears. Whenever Kyuhyun told him that his tears were ultimately beautiful, all he felt was, none. He felt empty. He was thankful but empty. He didn’t feel as much as he did when Donghae said them. And he felt heavily guilty over that fact. Guilty over his own boyfriend.

 

“Eunhyuk, why are you crying? Why did you cry?” Kyuhyun asked worriedly, trying his hardest to contain the surfacing anger, trying his best to prevent himself from glaring menacingly at the stiffen boy in front of them. But Eunhyuk only shook his head abruptly, his shoulder slowly jerking up and down again, quietly sobbing for the guilt he was feeling. And his cry made the angry boy even more furious than he already was. Kyuhyun immediately turned towards Donghae, whom was startled because another boy had suddenly jumped into their conversation, and it didn help how he looked as murderous as a Jack The Ripper.

 

“What did you do to him? Did you make him cry?” Calmly, he asked, his face was flushed with anger and his lips was quiverin. And Donghae swore he felt mercilessly threatene after only receiving that angry look.

 

“Answer me! What did you do to him?!!” His patience was absolutely running thin, his voice was slightly raised into a supressed scream. Donghae only shook his head abruptly, unable to stumble even a single word as a response. Kyuhyun was about to scold him even more, when he felt a small tug on his shirt just above his chest. Kyuhyun looked at his boyfriend and his gaze had slowly turned calmer as soon as he saw that tear-felt face. And then he saw Eunhyuk shaking his head weakly, as though he was pleading him to stop scaring Donghae into a piece of frightened goo. And Kyuhyun only let out a heavy sigh, complying with his boyfriend’s demand eventhough he felt like punching  the coward. 

 

He then cupped Eunhyuk’s cheek before he wiped the tears off with his thumb, mumbling a subtle sorry at the boy. As they were about to leave, deciding to go straight home after Eunhyuk’s sobs had gradually disappeared, Kyuhyun then swiftly turned his head around to throw a merciless glare at the boy, before he spout his  words of threats.

 

“I swear, if I ever found out that you’re the reason for his tears, I’ll kill you. I’ll kill you even if I had to.” And with those words, Donghae was left dumbfounded, numbed and deeply rooted on the ground beneath his legs, swallowing thickly upon the threat. While Eunhyuk only felt like thousands of shattered glasses were piercing and stabbing through his heart, silently  promising himself to stay away from his source of misery, to keep his source of lone heart away from his life, and to lock his source of happiness in a box deeply hidden in his heart. He thought he had to do it, no, he ought to do it, for himself, and for Kyuhyun. For his past, and for his present.

 

A few steps of leaving, he suddenly turned his body around only to see Donghae was staring at him helplessly.

 

“I mean it just now. Forget about everything that you just saw. Forget about the tears, forget about me, and just keep your distance from me. Because I, am the last person you would want to involve yourself with. Just stay away before you regret everything.”

 

And with those words, another drop of scarlet tear warmly fell down his cheek, before he buried his face against the nook of Kyuhyun’s neck, engulfing himself with his heavy sorrow.

 

And Donghae could only whisper his promising words, eyes suddenly looking very determined, determined to make this solemn person to open up his heart, determined to learn of every single thing about this mysterious being.

 

“And I, will be the first person to tear your tough wall apart.”

 

 

Eunjae, still seated on the bench slowly bent down his body before he plucked the crimson flower off the ground, bringing it closer to his face. And as he chewed on his lower lips, tenderly staring at the dark-colored flower that was obviously contrasting agaisnt his pale skin, one of its beautiful petals then fell off, gracefully sawying in the air until it laid on his laps. And soon, a deep frown emerged on his once tender face. He swallowed thickly after he threw an intense stare at the flower.

 

“What do you mean, SooYoung-ah? We shouldn’t help him? What do you mean by that? Why shouldn’t I help my own brother?!” Furious and angered that he was, the hand that was holding the flower was quivering an obvious tremble. He then waited for another few seconds before another petal fell off unto his laps.

 

“Fate? That was always your answer, wasn’t it? It was the same when I asked you about hyungnim going away to Seoul. You said it was fate! And it will always be fate for him. You knew of everything that was to happen, but you didn’t let me interfere. And all you would tell me was, it was fate. Why… Just why, SooYoung-ah… Just why are you doing this to him…” A silent whimper was heard just after he blurted out his frustrated feelings. And with that, another tear broke through his floodgate, silently flowing down his cheek before it dropped onto the flower in his hand. And just as soon, the flower died and crumbled into ashes within Eunjae’s palm.

 

 

A lady was seen frantically pacing herself around within the small house, its wall was painted white, the furnitures were probably scanty for all they had in their bedroom was a queen-sized bed, a white wardrobe, a bedside stand, a rack full of books and things, and a study table, on which laid a vase filled with chalky water.

 

Another man was only standing stiffly, leaning against the doorframe while he only watched the lady trashing about their room. She was panicking, salty liquids were steaming on her forehead, silently sliding down her milky white face once they were fully formed. Her eyes were anxiously glancing at everywhere, her hands picking up and throwing everything that she could reach, pulling on every drawer she had in their room, peeking through in every possible crook of that small place, taking a short glimpse under the bed, the table, the rack, just any hidden spots possible.

 

But she couldn’t find it.

 

She ruffled her hair frustratedly, pulling on her scalp strongly as she felt a sudden and strong urge to scream her heart out against the world.

 

“Arghh! It’s lost! I couldn’t find it! Where is it? Where’s my flower?!!” She yelled, her eyes still frantically moving about the trashed room. The man could only heaved out a deep sigh as he watched the disheveled woman.

 

“Honey…” Quietly, he called, voice as gentle as he could be. The lady turned around on her feet, her forehead in a deep crease as she sadly looked at him.

 

“Han…” She called back, tears were starting to puddle in her eyes. And the man couldn’t help but feel a harsh pang on his loving heart when he saw his wife furiously breaking down in front of him, again. He slowly walked closer to the woman before he engulfed her into a warm embrace. And soon, she cried, her tears were drenching his expensive black suit as she buried her face on his shoulder, sobbing hard at the thought of losing her most precious.

 

“Shhh.. Don’t cry… Just stop crying, okay…? We’ll find your flower… Surely it’s still in this house… I promise you we’ll find it.” He whispered words of comfort as he caressed her head tenderly.

 

“But I couldn’t find it. The flower is so important to me, but I lost it. I can’t remember where I put it. And it’s my fault that it’s gone. I lost what’s important to me.. I lost it…” She whined as she grabbed on her husband’s back, crumpling the suit into deep creases.

 

“No, it’s not lost. We’ll surely find it.” He said again before he pulled back from the hug. He then cupped her face in his warm palms, staring deeply into her teary eyes before he spoke again.

 

“I promise you we’ll find the flower. Now, let’s wipe your tears and start searching again. Okay?” said the husband, both of his thumbs gently wiping her tears off of her face, and she only nodded weakly as she tried to contain her sobs.

 

Soon, the husband stood up and walked around the room with his wife trailing from behind, clinging onto the hem of his suit. As they stopped in front of the table, his eyes on the vase, he tapped on his chin while he tried to recall the last time he saw his wife placed the flower in that clear glass.

 

“Hmm.. I think the last time I saw you put the flower in this vase was yesterday.” He spoke out his thought. Then he looked at his wife as he asked.

 

“Do you remember where you put it last night before you sleep?”

 

The woman only answered with a subtle shake of head as she bit on her lips harshly, a drop of blood tracing down her plump lips. He saw how the blood was staining her lips, and so a small smile crept on his face before he leant in and pecked on her lips softly, staining his lips with faint red smudge. The wife could only blinked her eyes startled.

 

“You looked so y with the blood on your lips. I couldn’t help it.” Said the other naughtily while winking before he the blood off, a slight taste of metal seeping through his tongue. She was sent speechless with his words, a shade of rosy pink dusting her fair face as embarrassment slowly crawled into her mind.

 

After noticing that his wife had finally calmed down a little, on courtesy of his y bloody liplock, he put on a small relieved smile as he turned his focus back on the table. It wasn’t long until he suddenly snapped his fingers as he recalled last night’s scene. He then immediately went to their bed, smiling widely as he picked up a pillow off the mattress, and there it was, lying perfectly against the white linen just below where the pillow was. He then took the dying stick into his palm before he flashed it to his wife.

 

“Taadaaaa, I found it!” He said gleefully. His wife’s eyes widened in surprise before she lunged forward and threw herself into his arms, hugging his waist tightly as she thanked him happily.

 

“Oh my god. Hangeng, you found it for me! You really found it! Thank you so much, Han! I love you, I love you, I love you, I just love you so so so much!” She chirped merrily, her head snuggling cutely into the crook of his neck.

 

“Didn’t I always tell you how capable I am, Chullie-ah?” He replied, proud and merry that his words were finally proven after years of marriage.

 

“Yes, my Han is so capable! Thank you so much, honey!” She exclaimed as she pulled back from the bone-crushing hug. Hangeng only smiled satisfied as he stared at the brown stick proudly.

 

The wife then shifted her focus to the stick in his hand, staring onto it so tenderly, like it was the love of her life, her most precious treasure. When one talked of something as love, or a treasure, one would think of it as beautiful and pretty, wouldn’t it? But this treasure of hers wasn’t even as close to beautiful. It used to be, but it had died with age, for the flower was what she had received years and years ago, and now, what used to be a beautiful sunflower only remained as a brown stick, cracked and dying, its crown of flower had long shedded from its stick of support. And all that remained was a dead stick.

 

She then received the stick into her possesion again, gripping on it tightly for she promised she would never lost her precious again, but holding it so lovingly and cautiously not to break the fragile stick, because it’s her precious.

 

“Hihihihi!” She giggled heartily as she extended her harms out, head tilting to the side as she merrily gazed at the stick.

 

“I have my precious back. My flower is with me again. It’s not lost~” She chirped, swaying her body right and left, twirling blissfully on her toes as she waltzed around her room, with the stick as her honored partner. And her husband only watched with a visible frown, his smiling face drooping into a worried stare as he stood by the side.

 

She then stopped abruptly and stared at the brown stick again with a serious look, before a wide grin cropped up on her face as she brought it closer to her chest, holding it so preciously in her embrace and giggled.

 

“Hihihi, it’s my precious.” She mumbled giggling while she poked the stick playfully.

 

After another set of twirling and chirping and waltzing again, she finally plopped down merrily on the bed, her chest heaving heavily as exhaustion took over her body. She then laid down, her back against bed as she lifted the brown stick up in the air, gazing up tenderly.

 

“Ruby-ah~” She called the stick, excited.

 

“Heechul unnie is going back to Korea. Do you wanna come with me?” She asked, eyes blinking and lips pursing into a glee smile.

 

“Busan? No, we’re going to Seoul. We’re living in Seoul once we go back. Why? Do you wanna live in Busan again?” She spoke again, conversing happily with her imaginary Ruby.

 

“Sorry, Ruby-ah. But we can’t live in Busan again. She told me me never to go back there again and to start anew in Seoul. I promised her.” She then rolled her body around on the bed before she placed the stick in front of her. Her body leaning in on her elbows and her chin resting in her palms.

 

“I’m really sorry, Ruby-ah. But I already promised her. She told me if I wanted to help your friend, I have to stay in Seoul. It have to be Seoul.” She rested her head on her arms on the bed, pursing into a small pout as she answered the inaudible question.

 

“But she told me that’s the only way to help him break the curse!” She retorted back, frustration was creeping out in her because her precious just wouldn’t stop arguing.

 

“Who’s she? Oh, you don’t know her. She’s a new friend of mine.” She said, a genuine smile cropping up on her face before she continued---

 

“Her name is SooYoung.”

 




 

Hye! Sorry the third chapter took so many days to finish, and I still wanna upload this today eventho its a bit rushed. because im happy to see ur comments. lol and pls ignore the stupid edited pictures above, i just wanna give some feels! hope it doesnt ruin them tho.

and yes, more questions arise. mwuhahahaha... and the next chapter will be either tomorrow or the day after. and its a bit lighter than usual. u guys must hv enough of angsty chapters right?

hohoho expect KYULINE ~

 

P/S: If you guys ever feel bored or had enough with reading angsty stories *cough* this story *cough*, then why dont you guys try to click on my other story? hihihi Its a bit of fantasy, and im trying to make it a crack, but i dont know if its a success or not. u guys can tell me^^ hohoho 

Three Hearts and Two Realms. : If you could choose only one of the two, which would you pick? The moon, or the sun? Magic, or technology? An elf, or a human? 

 

and do comment again, because comments motivate the lazy me! hihihih and Upvotes are loved O//////O