Questions and Answers

Romance in the Air

Masaki was stunned at his senpai’s words. It was more than what he could think of. His mind was screaming with a lot of thoughts that weren’t comprehensible.

 

It seemed that the lights suddenly were switched off; his heart stopped moving; his mind was blank. The restaurant was seemingly revolving or it was him that was spinning then he fell down from his seat.

 

“I like you.”

 

The words kept on echoing on his ears.

 

“Masaki-chan?” Satoshi said his name as he kept on shaking the younger one until he came back to his senses.

 

Masaki opened his eyes slowly. Seeing Satoshi, he quickly shut his eyes.

 

“I think you need to carry him already, Oh-chan,” Jun said, his voice coming a little bit close to them. He smirked then continued, “It seems that what you had said to him shocked his wits out.”

 

Masaki couldn’t move. He’s going to carry me!

 

Feeling the warm body of Satoshi, as he carried him, Masaki kept his eyes closed and pretended that he was still unconscious. He could feel his body shake with fear, excitement and curiosity.
 

Sensing him shaking, Satoshi spoke, “You seem to be having a fever. I have to get you on the bed and fast!”

~***~

The cheers went wild as Satoshi beat the other player. His movements were of like a gazelle. He moved swiftly and amazingly. The crowd was overwhelmed with excitement. It was his first win; his first glory. He loved the way the crowd accepted his achievement. He knew that he wanted more of this glory.

 

As the reporters came flooding towards him, asking and bombarding him with questions, he answered them earnestly.

 

“I really didn’t know what happened,” he said, “All I did was gave my best with all my heart.”

 

He smiled at them: to the camera and to the crowd. He knew that it was just the beginning; that everything would be great for him after that.

 

Masaki saw his smile. As Satoshi smiled to the camera, he felt that the person on T.V. was smiling at him as well. He thought that it was the encouragement that he needed. He knew that it was time to show to the world how much he loved the sport.

 

Satoshi Ohno was his inspiration. With dedication, he knew that he would come that far just like his idol.

 

With resolve, he switched off the T.V., dropped the remote control on the table and rushed out of the house. He ran as fast as he could and went back to school. He informed the captain of the table tennis club that he wanted to join.

 

“What do you mean join?” the captain asked, emphasizing the last word, “You know that third years are not allowed to join the club anymore.”

 

“Bu—But, I want to join. I know that I can play the sport,” Masaki demanded.

 

The members of the club looked at Masaki. Some wanted to laugh; others looked away as they had eye contact with the captain.

 

Masaki smiled shyly and said, “If you want, let’s have a match.”

 

The captain looked at Masaki with disapproving eyes. “What match?”

 

“A match, at one o’clock, in the afternoon, tomorrow. At the court.”

 

“Are you looking for a match with the captain?” one of the students asked with an inquisitive tone.

 

“That’s stupid!” another one had said.

 

The captain laughed out loud. “If that’s what you want.”

The captain crossed his arms then continued, “Be there at one o’clock as you have said.”

 

~***~

 

Masaki was nervous like a sheep in the presence of a wolf. He couldn’t breathe well with his uneasy feeling. There were butterflies in his stomach that he wanted to throw up but couldn’t.

Satoshi just laid him down on his bed. Sweet fragrance was circling the air that it didn’t help in Masaki’s nausea.

 

Satoshi was humming as he put down Masaki. The tune was something familiar to Masaki though he couldn’t quite place it. Satoshi’s voice was really beautiful that it helped him calm down Masaki’s nerves.

 

As he calmed down a bit, Masaki felt ashamed with what happened to him. He knew that his senpai just confessed to him but he felt wrong with the whole idea. He knew that it’s different nowadays but he couldn’t help himself. He wasn’t taught that way by his dad. There was a part in him that thought that it was alright but mostly, he felt awkward.

 

“It’s okay,” Satoshi murmured. “I never expected you to like me the way that I like you.”

 

Masaki sighed, defeated. “It’s not like that. I like you, too but I still need to sort out my feelings.”

 

Satoshi smiled a little. “Don’t worry yourself. I can handle whatever you will tell me.”

 

“Thank you.”

 

Satoshi bent down and kissed Masaki’s forehead. “Sleep here. I’ll take the couch. You need to be ready for tomorrow’s practice.”

 

As Satoshi was about to walk away, Masaki grabbed his right arm. “You can stay here beside me.”

~***~

He woke up with a start, the light shining on his face. He tried to slowly move the older man's arm as he was about to stand up. However, the grip suddenly tightened.

 

Satoshi stirred and looked at Masaki. "You're already awake?"

 

Masaki looked at him carefully. "Ye-es." He embarrassedly looked away as he realized what he was doing.

 

Satoshi loosened his grip and Masaki gently stood up from the bed. His heart was pounding rapidly and felt the blood rush all over his body. He felt something tighten on the southern part of his pants that he immediately covered it up with his left hand.

 

Noticing the gesture, Satoshi chuckled. "You can take the shower first," Satoshi said. "Don't worry. I won't peek." Satoshi winked at him as he nodded.

 

Masaki entered the bath and locked the door. He was a bit apprehensive but he knew that he had nothing to worry about. He took off all his clothes and dropped them on the floor before taking a shower. He turned the knob and warm water washed away all his worries.

 

 

Masaki heard a knock.

 

He was just putting on clothes. The only clothing that he has put on was his brief before the knock. Not wanting to be rude, he asked, "Yes?"

"Do you have a change of clothes?" Satoshi replied. "If not, I put clean ones here on the table."

 

With muffled shuffling sounds, Satoshi was gone. Masaki was only able to say a quiet "Thank you" before the older man left.

 

Moments after, Masaki went out of the bath wearing the clothes that Satoshi gave him to change into. It was a black shirt with stripes at the sides and a cropped pair of pants that apparently fit him quite well; forming on his thighs and hips that shaped his muscles.

 

Satoshi was looking faraway, standing just near the front door that was open. His body, athletic but short was remarkably gorgeous as the sun shown its rays on his figure. Masaki was still amazed by this man that he inhaled loudly, making Satoshi glance at his advances.

 

Satoshi seemed impressed at what he saw. His face showing signs of being dazzled. “That looks good on you. I should remember to thank Jun for your outfit.”

 “I don’t want to impose,” Masaki said quietly. “Thank you.”

 

“No need to thank me. I wanted to give you something as an appreciation.” Satoshi smiled feebly.

 

Sensing that he had to say more, Masaki spoke, “Sorry about last night. I didn’t mean to offend you – or something.”

 

Satoshi walked towards him and touched his hands, “Think about it. For now, I’ll be your coach and you’ll be my student.”

 

~***~

 

Weeks passed and Satoshi didn’t mention his confession to Masaki again. It was as if the situation had never happened at all. They practiced twice every day, taking turns in tossing the ball and striking.

 

However, the older man felt that he was beginning to lose his confidence in his game. He was getting tired easily and his stamina was getting fickle. He fell down a couple of times as they were having a practice at the court. This shook Masaki’s dedication to the practice as it happened again that afternoon.

 

“Senpai, let’s take a rest.”

 

Satoshi, standing up with the help of Masaki and Jun, answered, “That’s a good idea. Let’s take a ten minute break.”

 

Masaki protested, “No. It’s enough for today. You had a tough week and I can practice alone so that you can relax.”

 

“That’s nice of you to say. Alright then, we’ll rest for the day.” Satoshi said, resigned.

 

 

They went back to Satoshi’s house, where Masaki also stayed, now that he was being trained by the older man, and each went to their respective rooms to have their rest.

 

Satoshi’s match with Sho was nearing and with his form, he felt that he could use all his time to train but with his condition, his determination to win was wavering. Jun felt that Satoshi could use some of his advice but he was apprehensive. He needed some help.

 

Jun left Satoshi and Masaki for the rest of the afternoon. He told Satoshi that he had to do something personal and that he shouldn’t worry about him. “I’ll be gone just for a few hours. I’ll be back after dinner. I already notified the maids to prepare your dinner.”

 

 

"I just don't understand!" Jun started, "Why can't they be honest with themselves?"

 

Jun and Nino were together in a café near their place. It has been years since they moved in together. It was a great struggle for Jun to get Nino's parents to accept the type of relationship that they had. And after so many months of hard work, Jun proved that it didn't matter whether they had a normal or an unusual relationship. Soon, Nino's parents accepted them both.

 

Holding his hands, Nino placed them on the both sides of his cheeks. "I don't want that face of yours to be this scary!" Nino pouted and looked like a puppy that was about to cry.

 

Jun laughed out loud. He took his right hand and playfully scratched Nino's head. "Alright. Alright. I got you."

 

"Don't worry about them. Masaki will be the one to step up now."

 

"How are you sure about that?" Jun asked, "You don't see what I see every day. It's really annoying."

 

"Masaki will pull through. He's just adjusting. He doesn't even know how to deal with it yet."

 

"I'll talk to Satoshi about it though."

 

"If that's what you think is the best." Nino smiled and pecked Jun's lips. “But I know that everything will fall in the right place.”

 

"Let's go home," Jun said, "I still need to get back work before Satoshi thinks that I don't do my job."

 

They left the café, holding each other’s hands. Nino was smiling happily as they walked away –toward their little world, where nothing and no one was against them.

 

~***~

 

“I’m saying,” Jun explained, “that you have to step up!”

 

Satoshi and Jun were sitting at the bleachers of the court. They were just watching Masaki, wearing his red and white jersey, as he practiced. The sun was high up the sky that afternoon that they took refuge inside instead of having the practice outside.

 

Satoshi crossed his arms as he looked at Jun with cheerless eyes. “I don’t know what to do. I know that I should talk him about it again but, I couldn’t get my strength anymore.”

 

Jun sighed. “Look at me and Nino, if I didn’t push myself, I know that I would be wondering what might have happened.”

 

Masaki suddenly cut the awkward silence when Satoshi didn’t reply. He was running towards the two with is racket. “I think I know that I will win! I just thought of a way.” He continued to talk optimistically with Satoshi about how he thought he would win the match, as the three went back the house.

 

~***~

 

Jun was already gone for the rest of the evening. Masaki was left alone with his coach after eating dinner together. Just before Jun went home, he talked with the player. “I don’t mean to pry to your feelings and all, but I just want to tell you that you need to think about your feelings.”

 

What the other man had said kept nagging Masaki’s thoughts that night. It was already eleven at night and he was already in his bedroom and was watching the television with the volume low; trying to sleep. He knew that it was already the right time to tell Satoshi what he really felt but somehow, he didn’t know how to speak his mind.

 

As if on cue, there was a light knock on his bedroom door. “Masaki?”

 

What the heck? I was just thinking about him and then he’s come here? Masaki thought. Thank goodness, I wasn’t watching the that I just bought yesterday!

 

He stood up from the bed and opened the door.

 

Satoshi was a sight. He was only wearing his boxer’s shorts. His body was shown in the dimmed lights that were in the distance. Masaki’s eyes hovered on the older man’s body and felt his throat tighten. He swallowed hard and tried to focus on the other’s face instead. He noticed that Satoshi seemed to be crying although he was smiling.

 

“Come in,” Masaki invited.

 

Masaki gestured towards the bed since he didn’t have much furniture inside the room. He only has the television set that consisted of the television, DVD player, and speakers, a small table beside the bed with a lamp on top of it, a cabinet that contained his clothes and shoes, and some of his table tennis paraphernalia.

 

Satoshi cleared his throat, clearly had been crying, before he spoke, “I know that you need to rest, knowing that the competition’s tomorrow but I don’t think I can stay silent anymore.”

 

Oh, no. I’m not ready for this yet, Masaki thought miserably.

 

“Okay,” Masaki answered, questioningly. He was still standing that he had to shift his weight to the left. He tried to look calm but inside, butterflies were battling that he wanted to throw up.

 

Satoshi looked up and searched for the younger man’s eyes. As soon as he caught them, he continued, “I want to know your answer to my confession now. I can’t take it anymore. I just want you to be honest with me,” he stopped to catch his breath, “I will accept whatever you tell me.”

 

Masaki resigned. He chose his words carefully. “Senpai—,” he said as he lowered his body to match Satoshi’s level. “I was thinking about it earlier just before you came.”

 

He sat down on the floor then put a hand on Satoshi’s right knee, making sure that he showed sincerity in his words. “I really enjoy your company. You’ve been my inspiration ever since I watched you play. You were the one that made me consider playing and now, I’m here because of that,”

 

Masaki inhaled and breathed out hardly. “I was really shaken when you told me that you liked me. With how you said it, I knew what you felt and I’m really sorry for what happened before,” he paused and smiled at Satoshi.

 

He squeezed the older man’s knee to reassure him that everything was alright. “All I want to say is that, I like you, too. Sorry, it took so long for me to realize it.”

 

Satoshi stared at him with quizzical eyes. He tried to process everything in a minute that he thought he heard wrongly that he asked, “Pardon?”

 

Instead of answering directly; tired of explaining, he put his words into action. Masaki took Satoshi’s face with his hand, cupped his chin and kissed the older man.

 

Understanding the situation, Satoshi took over the kiss. He gained entrance, opening the younger man’s lips, slowly forcing his tongue in and searched for Masaki’s. As their tongues connected, each other fighting for dominance, they took their clothes off.

 

Masaki pinned Satoshi on the bed gently but with a little force. “Is this going right?” He was new at this that he was still learning.

 

Satoshi laughed quietly, “You’re doing fine.”

 

As the younger one was on top, Satoshi kissed and nibbled on Masaki’s s making him shudder causing him to brush his hard on onto Satoshi’s. With their position, Satoshi was able to push his lower body up and grazed his onto Masaki’s as well.

 

They made love, rocking onto each other, friction continued to spark in each other’s body. Kissing, and fumbling each other’s body parts, wanting to know more, searching like a sailor in the dark, it was like heaven in the desert.

 

~***~

 

They woke up in each other’s arms, cuddling together after last night.

 

“Good morning,” Satoshi whispered as he kissed Masaki.

 

Masaki looked at the older man’s eyes as he his lips after the kiss. “Good morning.”

 

“We better get up,” Satoshi said, “Jun’s probably looking for me already. I forgot my cell phone in my room.” He admitted.

 

With no further ado, they took a shower together and fixed themselves for the tournament.

 

 

Both of their matches were a success.

 

Satoshi won his game against Sho Sakurai and was announced to be Japan’s number one in the sport and as for Masaki, he was noted as an outstanding junior. The two also declared that they were already dating.

 

Jun and Nino were watching the news on T.V. when Nino spoke, “I told you that everything will fall in the right place.”

 

Jun laughed and smiled at his loved one. I never thought that the two would really end up together, Jun mused as he kissed Nino with passion.

 

~~~

A/N:

And that's the end of the story. :D I hope you had fun reading.