I.

Footsteps in the Sand
Please log in to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1] The first time I saw him, he was running.

Not for any particular reason that I could surmise; no, he was sprinting barefoot along the stretch of the beach, sending pieces of wet sand flying up behind him. Nobody was with him either. Just running, running by himself.

When he couldn't keep going, his pace slowed down into a leisurely stroll, feet just about close enough that the waves of the oncoming tide lapped against them like an obedient puppy before ebbing away. The sweltering heat of the day has begun melting away too, surrendering to the shadows of night.

I watched him, even though he didn't see me, as he bent down and ran fingers through the water. Then, as if satisfied with that, he gave a private little smile before hiking up the slope and disappearing around the bend.

That was the first time.

 

 

When he returns again, he is taller, with pants rolled up just below his knees and sandals that he kicks off as soon as his toes are engulfed by the sand. Against, he starts running, though this time I see him glancing down at his watch, keeping track of the time. When he is finished, he doubles back, whistling, hands in his pocket.

Then he sits down beside me. For a long time, that is all we do- sitting side by side without any connection between us save for the salty breeze and smell of rain not yet fallen. Suddenly, in a burst of motion, he has grabbed my hat and is darting away.

I rise. He slows to a jog, and finally, stops.

"Why aren't you chasing me? Don't you want your hat back?"

The clouds are swaying lazily above us. A pair of seagulls have been circling the sun, high enough that they appear deceivingly small. The world is full of trickery like that.

"Hey, why are you ignoring me?"

I turn my attention to him. "Even if I did catch you, would you return my hat?"

"Maybe. You wouldn't know unless you tried."

"Why would you take it?"

He shrugged, a lopsided grin playing on his lips. "I don't know. It's a nice hat- doesn't it look flattering on me?" He tries to put it on, but his head is too big and it rests on top of him like a misplaced thought. Then, he spins

Please log in to read the full chapter