Chapter 1

The Story Of Nam Sookyung

"Sookyung!" I heard my mother calling from downstairs. I sighed and got up from my bed and left my bedroom; making my way downstairs.
"Yeah..?" I asked, walking into the living room. I assumed she was in there and I was right. She was plopped on the sofa, looking through her bag.
I raised an eyebrow when she didn't answer and cleared my throat. She shot her head up to look at me before smiling, pulling her purse out of her bag.

"Can you go to the shop for me and buy a loaf of bread, butter and milk?" 

"Yeah.. Just let me get my shoes and stuff."

I took the money she had pulled out of her purse and left the room, sighing. Doesn't she know that I was studying? Going to the shop will only make my mind blank.
Pushing my thoughts aside, I grabbed my shoes and quickly put them on. I grabbed my phone and walked towards the front door.

"I'm going. Back in about 20 minutes!" I called out to her as I opened the door and left, closing it behind me. I could hear my mum saying something just before I closed the door but I didn't bother to listen. I already knew that she said 'Okay, see you soon' or something along those lines.

--

The walk to the shop had taken longer than I had expected due to some road works. I let a sigh escape my lips and decided to take a shortcut. 
I walked through a few streets and was met with an alleyway. A dark alleyway. I didn't want to go this way but it was the quickest route so I pushed all of my fears away and began to walk into the alley. I could feel my heart rapidly beating in my chest due to being scared. I don't know why but I was always scared of walking through alleyways alone. Especially dark ones.
I shook my head and told myself that I was just being silly and that nothing bad was going to happen to me and quickened my steps.

I turned a corner in the alley and there were two men walking towards me and I swear I almost shat myself in fear. They both wore hooded jumpers that covered their faces and as we came closer to each other, I could feel my stomach churning as if it was trying to tell me something. Being an idiot, I ignored it and before I knew it.. I was shoved hard against the wall; causing a small whimper of pain to exit my lips.

The two men that attacked me and the last thing I remember was something hitting me on the back of the head with so much force, causing me to have a sharp pain where it hit me before everything went blank.
I passed out.

--

I slowly stirred awake, having no clue as to where I was. I felt nothing but weak and pain shooting all over my body as I attempted to sit up and after a few tries, I did but.. What seemed weird to me was that there felt like there was little tugs on my arms.
It confused me, causing me to frown as I turned my head as if to look around but then.. that's when I realised that I couldn't open my eyes. There was some sort of.. clothed-material covering my eyes; making it impossible for me to open them. My frown deepend as confusion continued  to take over and I slowly reached up to feel the cloth-like materal that was covering my eyes. I couldn't pull it off and that annoyed me. I shook my head and began to tug at the materal, panic taking over me when it wouldn't budge. A whimper escaped my lips as my heartbeat began to quicken and I could feel it beating rapidly against my chest; It was as if it was trying to break free from my rib-cage. 

I heard the door opening and I turned my head towards the sound, feeling my eyes watering in fear. I waited.. Waited for something to happen. I waited for a voice but all I could hear was appraoching footsteps. They were slow but loud footsteps, only making it seem scarier for me. I moved back against the bed as if to get away from the person who was walking towards me.

"Sookyung.." said an unfamiliar voice. It was a males voice. He didn't sound young but he didn't sound young either. Maybe he was in his 30's.

How does he know my name..? I questioned in my head.

He sighed softly and sat in the seat that was right beside the bed I was sitting on. It was the seat where visitors would sit when they were visiting someone in hospital.

"Do you remember anything?" 

I slowly shook my head, not really knowing what he was talking about. He let out another sigh as he shook his head.

"You.. You were attacked a few days ago and..you have a serious head injury."

I stayed quiet, not knowing how to respond. He took that as a sign to continue talking.

"I'll contact your parents and tell them that you're awake, They've been awfully worried about you."

I didn't reply. I heard him stand up from the chair and walk out of the room, leaving me alone with my thoughts.

--

After about an hour, the door re-opened and I some how knew it was my parents. I heard two pairs of footsteps rushing towards me and a quiet sob from who I assume was my mum. I turned my head as if to face her even though my eyes were covered and I couldn't see her.

I went to open my mouth to speak but.. No sound came out. I closed my mouth, confused before I tried again. Again.. No sound.
I frowned and bit on my bottom lip before making a humming noise, testing myself to see if I could at least make a noise but when I went to talk.. I couldn't. It was like my voice box stopped working when I tried to speak. I could feel my parents staring at me. I could feel their eyes on me and it made me feel a bit uneasy. I tilted my head when I heard that one of them had suddenly left the room. It was my dad. He left me with my mother in the hospital room and he hadn't even say one word to me. My chest felt heavy for some unknown reason. Maybe I felt sad that he hadn't spoken to me but.. I was happy that my mother had stayed with me. She cupped my cheeks and lightly pecked my forehead.

"You don't have to speak honey, it's okay."

I only nodded my head until my head snapped towards the door as I heard it opening again. I heard hushed whispers and I knew my dad was talking to the man from before. I couldn't make out what they were saying though but soon they stopped and the other man walked towards me.

"Sookyung.. I'm your doctor.. Doctor Choi, okay? Nod your head once if you understand."

I nodded my head once.

"Good. Do you know why you're here? Nod once for yes and shake it to the side for no."

I shook my head like he instructed me to if I didn't understand and there was only silence. No one spoke but after a few moments, the doctor spoke up again.
I think my parents had given him permission to tell me everything that had happened to me. Everything that was wrong with me. I could feel that something wasn't right about myself and that in itself made me feel nervous.

"I told you once before that you were attacked and have a major head injury.. Do you remember that?"
I thought for a moment before nodding my head in reply. 

The doctor nodded and looked at my parents. He said something to them but I couldn't really hear him properly. I think he was asking them for permission to continue which I guess was understandable.

"I'm going to remove the bandage from around your eyes, okay? They are covered due to the injuries that were around that area of your face." 

I nodded my head once and I felt like crying but I needed to stay strong. All of this information about what happened to me was making me fee strange and I could only feel a knot forming in my stomach. I felt uneasy. I stayed still as I felt the doctor leaning over me.
"Keep your eyes shut, please." He said softly as he cut the bandage off. "your wounds have healed nicely. Don't open your eyes just yet, okay?"  He reminded me and I nodded with a confused expression on my face.

He looked at my parents again, asking them if it was okay for them to watch. They nodded and he continued.
"When I count to three, I want you to open my eyes and tell me what you see, okay?"
I nodded my head slowly in reply to his question and the doctor looked over at my parents yet again and nodded his head at them before turning back to me.

"One.. Two.. Three.."

I opened my eyes but I couldn't see anything, It was like the world around me was pitch black. Maybe darker than the night.. It was like there was nothing there because I couldn't even see in front of me and I then furrowed my eyebrows in confusion because I knew that my eyes were wide open so.. Why was everything blank? Why couldn't I see anything?

"I.. I.. Is th-that a tr-trick ques-que-question..?" I asked with much difficulty. I slowly began to turn my head to try and find any source of light in the room but I failed in doing so and it made me feel even more confused. 

"No.. It is not a trick question.. Can you see how many fingers I'm holding up? Tell me exactly what you see." He said, keeping a close eye on me. I did what I thought was squinting my eyes to try and see if I could make out any shapes in the darkness but I had no such luck. It was way too dark to see anything. Way too dark to make out any shapes that was being hidden by the dark,

"I don't see anything. All I see is darkness." 

He nodded to himself before picking up a small flashlight from his chest pocket. He turned it on and shun it into my eyes several times, watching me intently. "How about now..?" He asked and I shook my head to say no. I didn't speak because I was uncomfortable with how I sounded last time. He looked at my parents as he stood up. "I was afraid that this would happen.." He mumbled to my parents as he turned to face them. 
He took them aside as  and spoke to them as if they were the most delicate people on the planet.

"As you know, your daughter has a serious head injury. The injury is actually a lot worse than i first thought it would be. I'm afraid that she has lost sight in both her eyes and as difficulty speaker but in good time and practice, speaking should come back to her easily."

I could hear my mothers muffled sobs and I assumed that she was currently burying her face into my dads chest as she cried. The doctor wasn't doing a good job from being quiet so I wouldn't hear him because well.. I could hear everything he was telling them and although he just said I was visually impared and I couldn't speak properly anymore.. I didn't feel scared. I didn't feel sad and I wasn't worried. The only thing I felt was.. Well.. Nothing, I felt absolutely nothing.
 

I felt nothing but empty. Like emotions were not real. Like I lacked them and right now, I was thankful for that.