Past

You Make Me a Fool

"Just go talk to her!" Baro said, pushing Gongchan towards Soo Young.

Soo Young was a popular girl, but she wasn't like the other girls. She was beautiful inside and out. She was kind to everyone, making her easy to approach.

Gongchan was also popular. Girls fawned over him each day. He was also kind, but he was just the shy type. He wouldn't start a conversation, but can comfortably hold one, if approached first. He liked to stay within his group of friends, consisting of Shinwoo, Jinyoung, Sandeul, and Baro.

"Why are you guys doing this? You're making it look like I'm interested in her.." Gongchan said, annoyed.

"Aren't you?" Sandeul asked.

"Not really.. I mean, she's nice, and pretty, but I just can't see myself dating right now." 

"Aw come on, you guys would look cute together!" Baro said.

"Stop it.. What the heck!" said Gongchan, almost tripping.

Just then, the bell rang and the teacher entered the room. The students rushed to their seats.

"Okay class, to start off our 2nd semester, I planned a partner project for the class. I'll let you pick your partners but please choose wisely."

"Ne~"

"Okay, you can get up from your seats and sit with your chosen partner." 

The students scurried over to their best friends within seconds. 

Soo Young and Gongchan both sat in the front row, away from their friends.

Just as Gongchan turned around, he saw that Jinyoung was already with Shinwoo, and Sandeul with Baro. (A/N: For story purposes, the boys will all be the same age, in the same class.)

"Mwoya.." he said to himself. He looked around for any other people without partners, but couldn't find anyone he would be comfortable with.

Soo Young looked at him in pity.

"Yoon Ji-ah, can you find another partner? I kinda feel bad for Gongchan. He can't seem to find anyone.." Soo Young said to her friend. Her friend reluctantly agreed.

Soo Young immediately got up and came up from behind Gongchan and tapped his shoulder. 

"Hi." she said with a bright smile. "Do you want to be my partner?"

Quite honestly, Gongchan didn't. He barely knew her, but he would feel too bad if he rejected her offer. He just it up and smiled. "Sure."

They awkwardly sat together at a desk.

"Class, self study for now. I have to fill in for another teacher for one subject today. I'll pass out the assignment before I go, just in case you want to get a head start with your partner." the teacher said.

"Wow, this is really easy.." Gongchan said, staring at the paper.

Soo Young got close and read the assignment. "Just a simple report! We can do this easily, but how do we split the work up..?"

"Um, we can do the research and thesis together, then both write half and edit for each other?"

"How long do you think it'll take us to get all the information?" Soo Young asked.

"Hm.. It depends on how long our sessions are. But if we do like an hour each day, we should be able to have everything ready in a week." Gongchan said.

"Is right after school for the rest of the week good for you?" she asked.

Gongchan gave her a smile. "Sounds good."

And that was what exactly what they did. Every day they left class together to do research, alternating each others' houses. Their motives were purely for getting a good grade on the project, and nothing else.

They had the assignment done before anyone else. It wasn't due for another 3 weeks. This left them with busy friends that could not be bothered until the due date, because they all procrastinated.

After a while, both got sick of staying home alone after school & on weekends. Soo Young decided to call Gongchan out of boredom, but nothing more.

Gongchan heard his phone ring. He rushed to it, hoping it would be one of the boys, but to his disappointment, it was only Soo Young. He let it ring, not wanting to answer, but he figured that it might be about their project. Maybe a way to make it better.

"Hello, Soo Young?"

"Hi Gongchan.."

"Are you calling about the project? Because you could've asked me during school tomorrow.."

"Um, tomorrow's Saturday.."

"Oh right.."

"Anyways, I didn't call about that. Honestly, it's a Friday night and I'm just bored. All of my friends are busy with the project.."

"Tell me about it. All my friends waited 'til the last minute to do it, and now they're busy all the time.."

Their conversation continued, and before they knew it, they had already been talking for hours. Gongchan went to go charge his phone, and caught a glance at the time. His eyes widened.

"Soo Young.. Did you know that it's like 11 already?"

Soo Young checked wall clock. He eyes widened as well.

"Oh my gosh.. I'm so sorry if I bothered you all this time.."

"What? No no, I wasn't doing anything. It's okay! It was nice talking to you~"

"It was really nice talking to you too.. We should talk more in class."

"Yes, I'll make sure that that happens. I'll see you on Monday then~"

 

This was what they thought to be a simple conversation, but in reality, it was just the start of everything they would have together.

From there on, the two started to talk more and more, whether it be in or out of school. 

They went from exchanging of smiles across the classroom, to eating lunch together daily.

Gongchan found himself slowly becoming more and more like her. He became more outgoing, and put himself out there. 

Soo Young was there for all of his harsh rejections, and Gongchan stayed by her side through all the painful breakups.

They saw each other develop from the first year of high school, to the very last.

By then, they had already been through everything together, seen each other at their best and worst.

After going through the stressful bustle of junior year. It was finally senior year. It was a time to enjoy the last bits of high school, and they did exactly that.

 

"Channie, do you see that guy over there?"

"Howon? What about him?" (A/N: Yay for Howon, aka Infinite's Hoya! Again, for story purposes, he will also be the same age.)

Soo Young gave him that stupid smile she always made when she thought someone was cute.

"Neo.. Do you like him?" asked Gongchan.

"Maybe.. Why? Are you jealous?" she said, poking him.

"As if.. Kim Soo Young, sorry to break it to you, but you're not my type." Gongchan teased.

"Ugh whatever Chan Shik.." she teased back.

"Ya, I told you not to call me that!"

Soo Young stuck out her tongue at him and both laughed. 

"Okay okay. I mean, you haven't dated in a while. You should go for it if you really like him." Gongchan said, with a more serious tone.

"I mean, he asked for my number last week, and we've been talking since then.." she said, grinning.

"What? How am only I finding about this now?" Gongchan asked, a little mad.

"Sorry! I just wanted to be sure about him before telling you." she said, looking down.

"So are you saying, you're sure about him now?" 

"I guess so.." she said with a shy smile.

"Yaaaa, our Soo Youngie is so grown now! Making decisions on her own.. Remember when you always came to me first when you liked a guy? Hahah, you were so innocent." said Gongchan, picnching her cheeks.

"That's because I didn't want to get hurt!" she said, crossing her arms.

"But you did anyways.. Tsk tsk. Anways, I approve! Howon is a really nice guy. He does well in school, and I heard that he's training under Woolim entertainment." Gongchan said.

"Does he? Wow, he must be super talented." she said in awe.

After just a few weeks, Soo Young and Howon were officially a couple.

This left Gongchan missing Soo Young, badly. He had plenty of friends, but it wasn't quite the same feeling as being with her. They talked less and less. When they did talk, it was always about her relationship, but Gongchan didn't mind. He knew she was excited to find a nice guy and it was her first time dating since sophomore year.

After some while, Gongchan started to feel weird around her. Whenever he saw her being all lovey dovey with him, he felt something in his chest. 

*What the heck is wrong with me?* he thought, as he thumped his chest, while looking at the sweet couple through the window.

Jinyoung and Shinoo saw him and gave each other a look. They knew exactly what was going on. Shinwoo tapped his shoulder.

"Chan-ah, you wanna talk?" Shinwoo asked.

"About what.?"

Sandeul and Baro came in. Jinyoung gave them the look and they caught on quickly. The five sat down in a circle.

"Um, let's just talk. We haven't done this in a while right? Talking about our feelings? You can go ahead and start off." Jinyoung said to him.

"What? Haha, I'm okay.. I mean I have a lot of work to do since it's amost the end of the year, but you know, I'm pushing through." Gongchan said.

"And what about girls? Did you find anyone special yet, that you haven't told us about?" Baro asked.

"Not really.. You guys know that. What is this about? Why am I the only one talking?" Gongchan said defensively.

"We know you like her." Sandeul said bluntly.

"Sandeul, what the heck! We were supposed to ease into the subject.. You're so blunt sometimes man.." Shinwoo said, annoyed.

"Sorry.. It's lunch break and I haven't eaten. We're wasting time, just get to it! I'm hungry..." Sandeul pouted and crossed his arms.

"Wait what? I like who?" Gongchan said.

"Soo Young." 

He laughed loudly. "What?" he continued to laugh. "She and I are best friends! You guys know that.."

"No, have you even thought of it yet? When you see those two together, how does it make you feel? And be honest." Jinyoung said.

Now the atmosphere was very serious. The remark really cause Gongchan to think now.

"Well, honestly?"

They all nodded.

"At first I didn't care. I'm the one who actually encouraged her to date him. And so she did. But now that it's happening, and they're happy together.. It makes me feel.."

"Jealous?" Baro asked.

"A little.."

"That means you like her, Channie."


A/N: Hey guys! Thanks for those who subscribed after only reading the foreword! I'll work hard to make this a satisfying story, so please stay with me until the end~ Just a heads up, I've decided to make this a three shot. Please comment, subscribe, upvote!