denim

Pens
Please log in to read the full chapter

                There were no clouds today, the sky a vast and clear blue. Youngjae watched as a jet cruised high off in the distant horizon, leaving a trail of white in its wake. A small smile spread its way over the boy’s lips. It was just one of those days that made you want to spend it outside – gentle breezes, clear skies, every color out in the world vibrant and full of life. Youngjae felt at peace just watching. He’d love to go outside, he truly would, but unfortunately for him all he could do at the moment was gaze longingly out his classroom window with other students just as miserable as him.

                “And before we leave,” the teacher declared to the class of heavy-eyed and zoned-out students, “we will be having a pop quiz!”    

                That seemed to wake everyone up.

                The entire class let out a collective sigh at the announcement of an infamous pop quiz, not-so-quiet groans and whispers of why filling the air. Youngjae fell back into his seat, adjusting his itchy navy tie and blowing his bangs out of his face as he watched the teacher distribute their quizzes from row to row. Great, just great. Another pop quiz. That’s exactly what he needed today.

                The boy rummaged through his bag and pulled out a pencil from his pencil box, slamming it onto his desk with a grunt. He eyed the wall clock hung at the front of the room, counting the minutes down on his finger before this class was over. There were only a few more weeks of school left, thank god, and that meant only a few more weeks until break. He wouldn’t have to do anymore stupid tests for weeks, and instead he’d finally be able to go outside and have some fun under those beloved pale blue skies. Freedom.

                The twelve year old leaned forward, taking the test sheets from the child sitting in front of him when they were passed b

Please log in to read the full chapter