Entry Five

۩The Daemonium Codex۩

As Leeteuk slowly came to his senses, his whole body wrecked with a pain he never knew before. His head was pounding, muscles screaming, even his innards seemed to be knotting up. He prodded himself up slowly using his elbows, every angle of elevation causing even more pain than the one before.

 

However, as soon as he righted himself, a wave of queasiness washed over him and he retched before he could control himself. With his eyes closed, he threw up over and over again, his mouth full of a foul taste he couldn't pinpoint. It was the taste of decayed food and swill combined, and the disgusting taste pushed all other thoughts out of his head.

 

After what seemed like an eternity, the churning of his stomach and pain finally began to wear off. When he slowly opened his eyes after one final heave, he was appalled to see the mess which he had created. A huge pool of reddish brown liquid with black lumps had formed right where he had thrown up. A quick wipe of his mouth with the back of his hand confirmed that he was indeed the source of the grotesque mess.

 

What the… What happened to me? Ouch… My head… My heart… My stomach…

 

Looking around, Leeteuk realised he was no longer in his neighbour’s thrashed apartment. Instead, he found himself in an exquisitely decorated room. Gold, shimmery wallpaper lined the wall of the circular room. A beautiful gold chandelier hung from the ceiling and golden furniture of all sorts filled the room. There were also lush green vines with tiny colourful flowers which accented the gold as they coiled around the furniture gracefully. On closer inspection, Leeteuk was surprised to note that the plants were inflating and deflating slightly every few seconds, as though they were breathing physically.

 

His surprise only grew when he looked down at his location, While he initially thought he was sitting up in a bed, it turned out that he was sitting in the centre of a gigantic red flower, with its silky petals wrapping around him softly like a blanket. When he moved, the petals gently unwrapped to accommodate his movements. The one which he had soiled with his mess had moved away from the rest, and was shaking itself off by the side. Several long filaments danced around his sides, the anthers turned upon him like eyes. He reached out gingerly and ran his hand over one of the petal slowly. In response, Leeteuk felt his world shake as the flower shuddered and the petal he was touching pushed up against his hands, amusingly similar to a cat asking to be . One of the filaments also rubbed up against the side of his face, its cold surface leaving a lingering cool sensation on his skin,

 

“Ah… She likes you,”

 

Whipping his head in the direction where the voice was coming from, Leeteuk found a man staring at him with an amused look on his face. The man had smooth, long silver hair tied loosely in a half pony tail, the loose strands framing the sides of his well chiselled face which was complemented by his round eyes. The fairness of his porcelain skin was further accented by his silvery glittering drape which covered his slender shoulders and half of his torso. Below the striking drape was a simple long white shirt which went over his knees and white tights, completed with a pair of glittering crystal pointed shoes with furled tips. Despite the strange medieval style of the man, it was what's on the man's back that truly caught Leeteuk's attention.

 

A pair of silver swirly wings.

 

“You should be honoured. That’s one feisty flower there. Threw a tantrum the last time we tried to put a guy onto her, launched that poor bloke two feet up in the air. Broke another of his leg, she did. In addition to the one already broken before we brought him here,”

 

Ignoring Leeteuk's obvious astonishment, the man continued as he pointed his right hand in Leeteuk's direction, holding a golden tray with a glass of iridescent liquid with the other. Leeteuk was so surprised by the former's wings that he began to back away from the man. His efforts were futile however, as the flower bed he was on began moving on its own accord towards the man, wrapping its petals around him tightly to prevent him from falling off.

 

“Come, drink this. You will feel better,”

 

Leeteuk’s silence seemed hilarious to the man as he burst out in a series of soft giggles. With a another flick of his hand, the filaments of the flower reached forward and lifted the glass from the tray, setting it down in Leeteuk’s hands as it moved back. Leeteuk looked down at the swirling glitter inside the concoction and sniffed it gingerly.

 

“I would drink it if I were you. Don’t worry, it tastes less flashier than it looks,”

 

With a jump, Leeteuk jerked his head in the direction of the sudden voice and was somewhat delighted to discover it was his neighbour. She was relatively unharmed, only a couple of hardly visible cuts and bruises on her face. Now that they were no longer running around, he was finally able to get a good look at her. Clad in black from head to toe, she seemed to be in her twenties. Her wavy black hair was swept to one side under the soft black hood covering her head. A pair of soulful black eyes with long lashes sat beneath her tidy brows while the crimson shade of lipstick she used brought out the paleness of her skin.

 

In sudden realisation, Leeteuk was confused that she was up on her feet. His last memory was that she had been stabbed by the silver sword. His eyes fell upon her abdomen where the wound was supposed to be and lingered.

 

“You developed the power to stare through clothes?”

 

“Huh? What?”

 

“You are staring at my stomach. You’re thinking where is my wound right? It’s covered by my shirt, yet you are staring. Did you develop the ability to stare through clothes?”

 

“I… I’m sorry. I-I-I didn’t mean to stare,”

 

“Shouldn’t you be more concerned with your own stab wound instead? Or did you forget already?”

 

It was only then that Leeteuk recalled that he too, was stabbed by the same sword. He hurriedly lifted up his shirt and looked at his torso, expecting an ugly wound still bleeding through a bandage that might have been covering the wound. To his surprise, there was no evidence of any wounds on his torso. In fact, the skin on his abdomen appeared more smooth and blemish-free than it did before.

 

“What th- I could have sworn…”

 

“That you were stabbed?”

 

“Not only me! You too! You were stabbed! I-I-It went through you…. Then through me!”


A mischievous smirk crossed Raven’s face as she felt entertained by Leeteuk’s apparent distress. With Leeteuk staring wide-eyed at her in shock, she slowly pulled up her black t-shirt, exposing her taut abdomen. There was no sign of wounds of any kind. This latest discovery sent Leeteuk into a new wave of frenzy.

 

“Bu-But that’s not possible! I saw it! Felt it! Yo-you were injured all over! Y-Y-Your leg! Your leg was injured!”

 

“Were you on drugs?”

 

“What? No! I saw it! There was blood and everything!”

 

“You must be drunk then,”

 

“No! I didn’t drink! I didn’t do drugs! I’m telling you, you cut your own hand to do so-“

 

“I cut my own hand? Are you insane?”

 

“No! I don’t know what happened but that’s really what you did! There was also a demon and everything!”

 

“A demon? All right now… I’m just going to back away from you REAL slow…”

 

“You aren’t listening!”

 

“Raven! That’s quite enough! That poor boy is going to cry soon!”

 

Raven broke out in laughter as the silver-haired figure crossed his arms and chided her in annoyance. Leeteuk was already on the verge of tears from frustration and bewilderment and didn’t even try to move away when the silver haired man sat down on his flower bed.

 

“She’s just being mischievous. Ignore her. By the way, you’re welcome,”

 

“F-F-For?”

 

“Saving you, of course! I thought you remembered all the wounds and demons?”

 

“So it did happen!”

 

Pointing his finger at Raven accusingly, Leeteuk’s cute pout caused the man and Raven to both break out in giggles. As Raven walked over to Leeteuk, the chair nearest to her started following her, all four of its legs swaying back and forth to transport it. She then sat down cross-legged in front of Leeteuk, the mischievous smile still lingering on her lips. The silver-haired man then clicked his tongue to get Leeteuk’s attention.

 

“Yes, it did happen. What can you recall? Start from the beginning,”

 

“W-Well, it started in the middle of the night. I had fallen asleep at my work desk when…”

 

As Leeteuk went on to recollect the night with perfect clarity, Raven took the chance to look him over again. Taking in his short golden brown hair, sharp face and the pair of brownish-black almond shaped eyes behind his black rimmed glasses, she could not believe that the man before her was merely a normal human being.

 

Which normal human being would still stay when he saw that Labal? Maybe he’s a SuperNat disguised in our world? Oh my! Maybe… Maybe he’s a demon himself!

 

The more she thought about it, the more suspicious she became of Leeteuk. The previous mischief she felt was taken over by a sudden feeling of anxiousness. If Leeteuk was really a demon, they were all in great danger. Quietly pulling out her switchblade from the back of her black jeans, she slowly uncrossed her legs and shifted to the edge of the chair. In one movement, she leapt to her feet, flicked out her blade and dashed right up to Leeteuk, the pointed end of the blade rested against the thin skin of his neck.

 

“What are you?!”

 

“Raven! What are you doing? Put tha-“

 

“Be silent! You! Tell me what you are! Right! Now!”

 

“Wh-What do you mean what I am? I am a human being!”

 

“Do not lie to me! Are you a SuperNat?”

 

“What’s a Supernat?!”

 

“A demon then?”

 

“I’m a human being! A HUMAN BEING! Haven’t you heard of one before?”

 

“Do not lie to me fiend! You may look like a human, but you are no human! Tell me what you are right now, or I’ll cut your throat!”

 

“Raven! Stop it! He’s human!”

 

“Wh-What? Are you sure?”

 

“Yes! I’m 100% positive! Well… Technically speaking he WAS 100% human but now h-”

 

“Ah ha! I knew it! Demon or SuperNat? Dic mihi quis es tu statim!”

 

“I can’t even understand you! And you! Silver hair man! Wh-Wh-What do you mean by was! I still AM!”

 

“Don’t try to change the subject! Tell me w-“

 

“I SAID STOP IT!”

 

At the silver-haired’s outburst, several green vines burst forth from the walls and wrapped themselves around Raven. The vines then proceeded to yank her away from Leeteuk and towards the man. Raven struggled hard against the vines, but her efforts were futile as the vines were stronger than they look. However, she soon calmed down as she realised resisting wasn’t doing much good.

 

“Now…”

 

Holding a hand outstretched at Raven, the man stared intently at her. The vines had released her, but was still hovering around. Raven understood that the man was asking for the switchblade but she turned her head away, pretending not to understand his intentions. She felt threatened by Leeteuk’s presence, and wasn’t able to let herself be in the same room without any form of defence.

 

“Raven…”

 

“…”

 

“You didn’t summon me to save the both of you only to kill him now right?”

 

“…”

 

“You know, I kinda had to bust my hump to help exile a certain Labal last night… Should word get out that the great Realms Walker repays her benefactors with such arrogance…”

 

“Ugh! Fine! Take it if you like!”

 

Slapping her blade down onto the opened palm of the man’s hand, Raven grunted grudgingly and threw herself back down onto her chair, which had once again followed her across the room. The man gave her a satisfied smile and snapped his fingers, handing the switchblade over to one the vines which had slithered in his direction at his command. The vine then moved to place the blade on top of a small golden dresser some distance away.

 

“Now, wasn’t that easy?”

 

“Whatever. Don’t blame me if that fiend tears your pretty little head off,”

 

“Now, I’m sure he won’t be doing anything of that sort! He seems like a perfectly nice, human lad!”

 

“Hah! Human? Think about it, he’s seen a demon, he’s seen magic and spells, he’s seen moving plants and furniture, he’s seen life threatening wounds disappear and does he seem like he’s freaking out?”

 

“I am certain there must be a perfectly logical reason behind that! Now lad, what is your name?”

 

“…”

 

“Very well! How about an answer for a question? I’m sure you must have many, many, many questions rolling around that pretty little head of yours now. I’ll start first. My people call me the Silver Prince, but you can just call me Prince Sungmin. Now, what is your name?”

 

Looking back and forth at the smiling Sungmin and the glowering Raven, Leeteuk swallowed the lump in his throat before straightening his back and answering Sungmin’s question.

 

“I-I’m Leeteuk. Park Leeteuk. Who are you? Where am I?”

 

“As I mentioned, I’m Sungmin. As for where you are, you are currently in Mythicyn, the land of the Fairfolks,”

 

“Fai-Fairfolks?”

 

“Yes, Fairfolks. It’s my turn now. How are you feeling?”

 

“I’m feeling better than I should,”

 

“All the more the reason to drink that, my dear Leeteuk”

 

At Sungmin’s prompt, the filament of the flower wrapped around his hand that was holding the glass and pushed it up against his lip, urging him to drink the iridescent drink which had been handed to him before Raven threatened to kill him. Perhaps it was the confusion that had arisen from all the strange events he had experienced since he stepped through the door of Raven’s apartment, or maybe it was the gentle nature of both Sungmin and the flower, but Leeteuk began to sip the unknown liquid although his brain warned him against it.

 

“Good boy! Did you see that Raven? A demon would not drink anything that I have to offer. Do stop torturing the poor lad now,”

 

“That doesn’t mean he’s not a SuperNat,”

 

“I don’t even know what that is!! What’s wrong with you, why can’t you believe I’m human?”

 

“A SuperNat refers to citizens of the Underworld, dear Leeteuk. It’s comprises of all supernatural beings. As for your second question, my dear niece can be so stubborn sometimes,”

 

“It’s not stubbornness if it’s the truth, ROYAL FIRST UNCLE,”

 

“But we do not know what the truth is yet, do we?”

 

“Wait, su-supernatural beings? Like, like ghosts?!”

 

“See Raven? See how the colour drains from his face? He knows nothing of our world,”

 

“…”

 

“I-I would like to ask a question now, please,”

 

“Sure! Go ahead. What would you like to know?”

 

“Wha-Wha- What are you? You’re not human, are you?”

 

“No matter what this man is, he’s definitely not the sharpest tool in the shed…”

 

Throwing in a snide comment as Sungmin burst out in laughter once again at Leeteuk’s question, Raven pushed herself up from the chair and walked over to the dresser, picking up the switchblade and stuffing it back into her pocket. She then leaned against a wall facing Leeteuk’s bed, a scowl on her face and arms crossed.

 

“Now now, Raven. The poor lad’s is just confused by the current situation. We have to display some empathy towards him, can’t you?”

 

“The most I can squeeze out at him is pathetic sympathy, will that do?”

 

“Then I suggest you let me take care of his questions. Anyway, back to your question… No, I am not a human. I would have thought my wings would have given it away, no?”

 

“I-If you’re not human… Your wings… Are you a fairy?”

 

At Leeteuk’s innocent words, Raven snorted as Sungmin turned red, apparently offended at Leeteuk’s statement. His wings, which was fluttering gently before, was now flapping furiously. Confused, Leeteuk bowed his head repeatedly in apology, unsure of whether or not his words had been offensive.

 

“I am a member of the Fae! I am part of the Royal Family! How could you confuse me with the lowly Fairies!”

 

“Show empathy, Uncle… He’s confused, remember?”

 

Laughing inwardly, Raven threw a teasing look at Sungmin, using his own words against him. The Fae was a proud race of creatures, believing themselves to be above The Fairies. The citizens of Mythicyn were collectively referred to as Fairfolks. However, similar to the ethnicity amongst humans, the people of Mythicyn was also divided into two races, the Fae and the Fairies. The Fae refer to the race of magical beings who share similar physical forms as human. They are proud, beautiful creatures who lived in the many towns and cities in Mythicyn. Elfish facial features and feminine gestures were all characteristic of the Fae. They are the majority in Mythicyn and also the ruling race, with the Royal Family situated in a huge glittering crystal castle right in the middle of Mythicyn. All Fae possess elemental magic abilities.

 

The Fairies, the collective of little winged pixies, dwarfs, goblins and bearded gnomes, each barely the size of a human palm, lived in the wooded areas. Unlike the Fae, the Fairies cannot cast any spells, but still possess certain magical capabilities and properties. This, coupled with their physical sizes, made them the lower races in Mythicyn.

 

Huffing out his chest indignantly, Sungmin pouted at Leeteuk’s impudence. It took a couple of minutes, but he eventually calmed down enough to continue the conversation. When he next turned back to face Leeteuk, there wasn’t a trace of his previous anger, only a patient smile remained.

 

“I shall forgive you for your ignorance. After all, the humans must know nothing of our wonderful heritage,”

 

“I-I am sorry if my words have offended you… Sh-Should I not have said that?”

 

“Just leave it be, you stupid man. The punishment for insolence towards the Royal Family is the separation of one’s head from one’s body. Unless you possess the ability to survive without a head, I suggest that you shut up,”

 

“Raven, don’t scare the poor man. Don’t worry, my dear. I am not going to behead you for your ignorance. However, kindly do not say this in front of any other Fae. Forgiveness may not come as easily to them,”

 

“I-I understand,”

 

“Good! You’re a smart lad after all!”

 

“Oh my, Uncle. You must be a man of low standards to refer to this fool as being smart,”

 

“Now, Raven. You shouldn’t be calling your blood-mate a fool. You share the same blood now,”

 

“I’m sorry, but what’s a blood-mate?”

 

“Oh, I’m sorry. I forgot that you still have no idea. A Blood-mate is used to describe the parties who are blood-bonded,”

 

“What do you mean by blood bonded?”

 

“It is as its name suggest. You and Raven are now bonded by blood,”

 

“Bonded by blood?”

 

“Yes. It is rather simple. When the blood of normal humans mixes together, you merely run the risk of contracting infectious diseases. However, when one of the party has the gift of magic, a Blood-bond will be formed. The nature of the relationship, on the other hand, is more complicated. It can range from the simple transfusion of powers, telepathy, or the most complex situation known as Linkage,”

 

“And we got the short end of the stick. Our blood-bond is the most complex one.”

 

“Complex as in?”

 

“The two of you are now linked together spiritually. Physically, you co-exists. If anyth-“

 

“In short, if you die, I’ll die.”

 

Cutting Sungmin short, Raven gave him a meaningful look as she delivered the short but grim summary of their situation to Leeteuk. The older was surprised for a moment, but soon regained his composure. He then stepped aside with a smile and gestured for Raven to take his place in explaining the situation. Raven acknowledged Sungmin with a nod of her head and started in his direction, the heels of her biker boots clicking loudly against the marble flooring.

 

“In a Linkage blood-bond, one party is the stronger link while the other is the weaker link. Naturally, I am the stronger link because of the magic in me. However, if anything were to happen to you, I would also die. I happen to enjoy living very much. This means that you, as unwilling as you might be, have to learn the ways of the Underworld,”

 

“The ways of the Underworld?”

 

“Yes, being a changling and untrained, demons and other evil beings will constantly be on your tail from now on. If you don’t learn the ways of the Underworld, you will die, your death would then be an inconvenience because I too, will die,”

 

“What do you mean they will be constantly on my tail? Didn’t Sungmin already killed it?”

 

"Don’t tell me you’re naïve enough to think there’s only one demon in the entire world. Most of these demons want me dead. And when I say 'most', I'm talking about nine out of 10 of them."

 

"Says a lot about your charming personality,"

 

"Don't worry about me stealing the limelight. When they find out a dork like you has my blood running through your veins AND a changling from the blood of a third-tier demon, ALL of them will want you dead. Mainly because of my blood, of course,"

 

"What did you just call me?"

 

"A changling,"

 

"Chain-links?"

 

"Sigh… a C-H-A-N-G-L-I-N-G...And here I thought maybe your brain is the only thing that isn't functioning,"

 

"What's a changling? Why am I one?"

 

"Changlings refers to beings who have been transformed into half demons either through a curse, after unsuccessful exorcism, or through blood taint. Like you,"

 

Sungmin, who had been silently observing by the side, suddenly piped up as he gave a kind smile at Leeteuk, who was getting a lot thrown at him at one time. Raven clicked her tongue in irritancy at being interrupted and pulled down her hood, running her hand slipshod through her black, lustrous locks.

 

“Blood taint?”

 

“Well, we are unsure about how it happened exactly, but it must have occurred when the demon plunged that sword through the both of you. Raven had previously wounded it with the same sword, so some of its blood must have been on that sword,”

 

“So I am a demon now?”

 

“No, my dear Leeteuk, you are a changling. A half demon, if we were loose on definitions. Raven’s a demonologist, so the blood had no effect on her. But you were not so lucky,”

 

“And demons would want to kill you. More than they would like to kill me,”

 

"Why would the demons want to kill you? Do they have something against you?"

 

"I'm a demonologist. I kill demons for a living. Of course they have it in for me! Seriously… Even if you don't know a about the supernatural, shouldn't you have at least have some common sense?"

 

“These things aren’t common sense! It’s not even supposed to be real!”

 

“Well, these THINGS are my world. They are as real as the blood running through your veins!”

 

“Raven… That’s quite enou-“

 

“Well, that’s YOUR world, not mine! Why do I have to accept any of these?!”

 

“Leeteuk, please don’t egg her o-“

 

“WELL, if you have kept your nose out of my business, you wouldn’t have landed yourself in hot soup!”

 

“Guys…”

 

“WELL, if I hadn’t gone over to help, you would be dead! You can’t even find your own sword!”

 

“GUYS!”

 

“Help? HELP?! Oh please enlighten me! What did you do exactly that have HELPED me?!”

 

“I-“

 

“STOP IT! Raven! We need to talk this instance!”

 

Stepping in between Raven and Leeteuk who had taken steps towards each other during their yelling match, Sungmin grabbed her by her wrist and started dragging her towards the golden glass door leading to a balcony. Raven protested as she continued glaring in Leeteuk’s directions while the latter had his arms crossed and was glaring back at Raven with an equally heated scowl. Raven’s protests were ignored by the older man as he kept his pace constant, his silver wings quivering in his frustration.

 

The glass door burst opened and shut tightly by themselves right after the duo stepped through. With a snap of his fingers, the vines along the sides of the walls began to gather and form the shape of seat. Sungmin then released Raven and settled down on the makeshift seat

 

“…”

 

“Giving me the silent treatment? I thought you had a lot to protest just now?”

 

“…”

 

“So… You’re the stronger link, yeah?”

 

“…”

 

“Strange though… I seem to recall differently…”

 

“I don’t know what you are referring to,”

 

“Don’t you? Is the Realms Walker resorting to lies, just like a demon?”

 

“I didn’t lie!”

 

“Really? And I thought you were honourable…”

 

“Well, it wasn’t a complete lie! It is true that if he dies, I die,”

 

“What about you being the stronger link?”

 

“…”

 

“Raven…”

 

"Urgh! I can't believe this! He's a nobody! I spent over a decade training hard and all he did was to be at the wrong place at the wrong time, and he's the stronger link? Changling of a third tier demon, blood bonded with one of the strongest demonologist known in this century, and he's the stronger of our blood-bond?"

 

“And now we hear the truth,”

 

“I don’t understand! How can he be the stronger link? How did he become a changling? He should have died!”

 

“Now, now… His injuries were not life threatening. Nothing a little magic can’t fix,”

 

“Demon’s blood is lethal, Uncle Sungmin. It’s poisonous to humans! He should have died from the taint!”

 

“We don’t know about his lineage… Maybe there was a SuperNat somewhere in there,”

 

“He should have died, Uncle Sungmin… He should have died from the taint, like poor Xero did…”

 

“Now, Raven… I understand your anger… But it isn’t fair to take it out on the poor boy… I am certain he is no demon. Just a helpful boy who wanted to help you out. Think about this Raven, how many men would stick around to help you out after seeing a Labal?”

 

“That’s what I don’t understand! Human would run at the sight of a demon, no? But he stayed…. Not only that, he helped! What’s his deal?”

 

“I sense nothing evil in him. At the moment, I believe he stayed to help out of the goodness in his heart. I’m sure you can see his aura, can’t you?”

 

“I don’t know what you are talking about. All I see is a man whom we know nothing about. A man whose mere existence defies supernatural logic,”

 

“As much as you try to ignore your magical abilities, the truth remains that you’re half fae. Your mother’s blood flows in you, my dear niece,”

 

“Your sister was a fool for procreating with a human. And I’m suffering for what they shouldn’t have done,”

 

At her last words, Raven turned and walked back into the room, leaving Sungmin to stare after her. He smiled as he saw as shadow of his sister’s stubbornness in the younger girl. Standing up, he smoothened out the creases on his glittering shirt before leaning over the railings of the balcony which overlooked the whole of Mythicyn. For thousands of years, the fairfolks have shared their lands with the fairies in peace. While Raven’s father was not the first human to visit their land all those years ago, Raven’s mother had broken all traditions and records by being the first royalty to be stripped of her citizenship for her choice of marrying a human.

 

Ah Raven, Raven… My poor child… As much as you detest your parentage… You are the shadow of your mother… Aurora… If you were still alive, the two of you will be at loggerheads constantly, wouldn’t you? That poor child had been stripped of her birth right because of your choice to marry a human… She would have been a princess in Mythicyn, a candidate for the future ruler. Pampered and loved by all, she would have been leading a life surrounded by her people who would bend to her every will… Unlike now, where she has to fight constantly for her own survival… Was it worth it, Aurora? Was your love for the human worth the pain of losing your wings, your roots, and all the luxuries you had as the Crown Princess?