Part III

Banana Patbingsoo Date
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was six in the morning and there was still no sign of any delivery report from his wife inside the room. He sat on the seat in that hallway, elbow on each knee and face buried deep down in his palm. His ear was getting sensitive of any little sound come from the room, hoping for a call for him to come inside. But it was been an hour and he felt like crazy of waiting.

Ahjumma has gone an hour ago right after they arrived at hospital. Thanks to her, they are welcomed very well and Eunji eventually sent to be handled by the doctor. She was also the one that convinced the young couple during their way to hospital so that no panicking at all and Sunggyu to drive safely even though his mind went blank many times. However ahjumma had to go back to her shop and left Sunggyu alone.

A nurse creaked out from the room and Sunggyu stormed at her eventually with many question about his wife.

“Please wait a little longer, Mr. Kim. There’s still no sign of delivery yet,” she calm him down. “Why don’t you try to visit out cafeteria first, Sir? You looked so worn out, a bit caffeine maybe will help,” she suggested.

“But how about my wife?”

“Don’t be worried too much, she’s in a right hand. And to be honest, it may take longer time than usual. So I think you have plenty time to make up yourself, Sir.”

“Oh, yeah. Thanks.”

The nurse bowed slightly and strode somewhere, leaving him alone again. Sunggyu ruffled his hair and slapped himself several times. He barely had some sleep last night and he couldn’t even doze off because of his worry for his wife. He slumped again to the seat and counting the time. Sometimes he stood up for a back and forth walking. Sometimes he glanced at the door hoping someone coming out and calling him in. He then sat again sighed non-stop.

An hour passed, and he saw the nurse before came back with a tray full of medicine. She nodded briefly at him before coming in to the room once again. Just what the heck happened to Eunji that she needed that many kinds of medicine?

“Gyu-yah! How’s Eunji?” someone scooted to him and a smile plastered on his face.

“Eomma…,” he sighed in relief to see another important woman in his life. His mother cupped his face and observed him thoroughly. “Gosh, don’t you have any sleep last night, son? And why are you wearing you old uniform?”

“I just can’t sleep, don’t ask,” he grunted and shrugged his mother hands off him, feeling uncomfortable as he noticed that the old woman must be asking him many question. And he didn’t want to tell her anything about him not having any sleep because of granting his wife’s childich craving. She would so much about that and Sunggyu didn’t like being teased.

“Aigoo, my son… now that you are going to be a father and you keep acting this childish?” his mother spanked him lightly on his head.

“Eomma!” he protested and rubbed the spot that was spanked.

“So how’s Eunji? Has she delivered?” she sat beside him. “Anyway, your dad says sorry that he can’t come here now. But he will later.”

“Not yet, there’s none any report yet,” he mumbled. “Did abeoji say something about me skipping work today?”

“Nope. He said for you to stay here with your wife until delivery. You know how much your father wanting to have a grandchild all this time. Of course he’ll spare you for this kind of thing, son. Anyway have you eaten? You look so bad, Gyu,” his mother squeezed his shoulder gently.

“Later, I don’t want to leave her before I get to know what’s happened to her.”

His mother then chuckled, making him frowning at her. “Why?”

“Nothing. You just remind me of your father. He’s the fussiest one and the most worry one when I have to deliver you. I will no wonder if you cry later when you see your new born baby,” she patted him.

“I won’t cry,” he blurted, he never liked to looked so vulnerable even in front of his mother.

“Oh, you just don’t know yet, son.”

“Mr. Kim?” the nurse finally poked out her head and called him. “You may come in.”

He eventually barged into the room she was in and found her still sleeping soundly on the bed. The doctor has just covered the duvet on her and turned out to him with a smile. Sunggyu noticed that Eunji is still having her baby bump, so he looked at the doctor in question.

“A false sign. It was only a mere cramp, but I will elaborate many things when she’s awake later,” the doctor said. “I’ve just given her sleeping pills since she seems lack of sleep. You don’t have to be worry. Stuff yourself, Sir. So that you’ll look in better condition when she’s awake,” the doctor squeezed his shoulder. And he was somehow getting tired of people talking about his condition.

“Ne, Doc,” Doctor Lee nodded then went out of the room followed by the nurse.

He then eventually stomped to the sink inside the room and looked at the mirror and found his obvious messy hair, his fainted skin, and thick panda eyes. No wonder everyone seemed disgusted when looking at him. He washed his face and then strode back to her bed. He took a closer look at her and noticed some dried tears created a path down he cheeks thus he reached out to rub them off gently. He pushed some of her hair strands out of her face and smiled at her angelic sleeping state.

After giving a peck on her forehead, he strode out of the room and talked to his mother. “False sign, they said,” he sighed.

“I know, I’ve asked the doctor just know. How is she?”

“Sleep, she’ll be awake in another hour. Can you watch on her, Eomma?”

His mother nodded and rubbed his arm. “Don’t worry, I’ll watch her. Just go and have your breakfast first, I’ll call you if something happen.”

“Thanks, Eomma,” he hugged his mother briefly before walking away to find this hospital’s cafeteria to take a light breakfast and a cup of coffee to charge his energy a bit.

He took his breakfast as fast as possible and was about to go back to Eunji’s room when he found a toddler was wandering around like a lost child in the hallway. He seemed too small and waddled like a penguin when walking that Sunggyu thought this kid must be around 1-2 years old.

“Hey little boy, where is your parents?” he asked while squatted down to the kid’s eye level. He somehow felt that this little boy seemed familiar for him.

“Appa…,” he whined while stuck his hands out to him asking for an embrace.

“Eh? But I’m not your appa,” Sunggyu got surprised but scooped him into his embrace and carried him on his arm. He somehow felt some giddy warmth when the boy called him ‘appa’. Is this what it feels like of being a father?

“Urii… appa… buy… candiii,” the toddler talked with a lisp, he obviously was still learning how to talk. And Sunggyu tried to understand what this little kid told him about.

“Your appa is buying candy for you?” he asked.

“Hu-uh,” he nodded. “Appa…,” he called him again and fisted his shirt tightly with his little hand.

“I’m not your appa. Just call me hyung, Sunggyu-hyung,” he smiled. But the boy eyed him confusedly. “What? Am I looked too old to be called as hyung?” The little boy nodded and Sunggyu felt ashamed by his innocence. “Alright, I’m not that young, but I’m not that old either. You can call me anything but ahjussi.”

“Samchon?” the little one guessed.

“That’s better,” he smiled proudly. “And what’s your name, little boy?”

“Joon. Joonho, Lee Joonho.”

“Joon?”

The little kid nodded.

“Alright, Joon-ah. Should we find your appa?” the little kid nodded cutely. “Then let’s find your appa.” Sunggyu carried him in his arm to the cafeteria, assuming that the kid’s father must bought for candies there. But no one recognized this kid and Joonho didn’t indicate any sign that his appa was there thus Sunggyu decide to ask the hospital security in front office.

But when he was passing the room when Eunji was, he decide to stop by to check on his wife condition first. And he was glad that she was awake in better condition.

“Ah, you finally come. Eomma is sorry, son. Your father has just called and asked me something important. Is it okay if I come over him first? And—who’s that boy?” mother Kim gestured at the kid in his arm.

“Oh, that’s okay. Just go to him first, Eomma. I’ll be with my wife. And this is Joon. Joon, this is my mother, say hello to her.”

“An-nyong-ha-se-yow,” he spelled his word diligently.

“Aigoo, how cute you are! Oh, I can picture myself having a grandchild like you,” Sunggyu’s mom pinched Joonho’s cheek softly. “I have to go now, take care of your wife, Gyu-yah!”

“Sure, Eomma,” he hugged his mother by his free hand that was not carrying Joon.

He then shifted himself closer to his wife after sent his mother going outside.

“Who’s that little kid, oppa?” Eunji asked in amusement. She liked child and watching her husband carrying child made her smiling even wider.

“He’s Joo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter