Prologue

Are You My Lover?

I slowly walked home from a diligent, yet tiring day at work. Taking my time. Not wanting to go home right away. Not wanting to miss this beautiful weather shining down on us today. But most of all, wanting to avoid the real conflict waiting for me at home. My parents.

~ ~ ~

I recalled the time when I was still a child. Young, ignorant, incapable of seeing the truth about life, wanting life to be a happy, worthwhile experience. The screaming I heard throughout the house. The sound of objects, both fragile and not, come crashing to the ground. It always scared me, considering I was so young. I used to cry myself to sleep or sit in the corner of my bedroom, hoping my parents would end their arguments.

~ ~ ~

Rich families. You may think they live in a utopia of a life, but that's almost never true. That goes with my family as well as any other rich family. As I grew up, I found out through listening to my parent's arguments that it's all because of money. Money is what keeps me awake at night. Money is what makes me feel like my parent's love for each other no longer exists. Debts. My father has too many. They fight over the possibility of our family going bankrupt. 

~ ~ ~

My parents, when I was young, would always assure me that everything was fine. Nothing was wrong. I shouldn't fear anything. I should be happy. I believed them of course. At that age, you tend to believe everything that you've been told, especially when it's told by someone older than you. But as I grew older, I began to reject and push aside everything they've been telling me. I began to understand what's true, what's false, what to believe, what not to believe. 

~ ~ ~

I love my parents. I really do. That's why I haven't left them. I work at my father's business, hoping I could make a change in the company. So that we wouldn't have to pay back so many debts. Everything would be happy again. Back to normal. Well, as normal as my family can get anyway. I was hoping I could do something to end all their arguments. 

~ ~ ~

I've tried for so many years to get things back to the way they were, but nothing's changed. If anything's changed, it's the amount of fighting that has. Every day. Every week. Every time they're alone. Fighting. As if that's all they ever do with each other. 

~ ~ ~

I was nearing my home. It was in a rich neighborhood that was hidden within the city. Security is at it's highest. Guards standing guard here and there. Everyone's dream home. My house was a few blocks away from where I was now. If I could just take as much time as I need, I could maybe get home by the time they've cooled down a little bit. 

~ ~ ~

It was dark out, with only a faint glow of the moon as my light. I used it to guide my way through my neighborhood. I watched as houses started to shut down all means of light in their house, some with only faint glows of light sources. I didn't bother to use the car today or have our driver take me to work. I was never in a hurry to see my parents. Same with leaving my parents. 

~ ~ ~

It wasn't a cold nor hot day here in the city. The weather was just right with just a light breeze. I felt it every few moments or so. It felt like the wind was urging me to move forward. To arrive home as fast as I can. The wind pushed me as if it had a finger. Poking me from behind to get me to move faster. From time to time, the wind would pick up speed and intensity, causing me to move forward and faster in my tracks. 

~ ~ ~

In a matter of minutes, I reached my house. There was an odd feeling in the air. As if something was terribly wrong. I sensed there was something going on inside my house. I quickly, but quietly unlocked the door. The door hinge creaked as I slowly opened the door. Careful not to make anymore noise, I passed through the space I've made for me to pass through. I shut the door as quietly as I can. Something inside me sensed that it was best to keep quiet. And that any noise would mean big trouble. I decided to trust that feeling, knowing something didn't feel right inside my house too. 

~ ~ ~

Everything was in it's rightful place. There's a few shattered kitchenware on the floors, but that wasn't unusual considering all the fighting my parents have done. Their fights almost always turns from verbal to physical in minutes. From screaming at each other repeatedly, to picking up whatever they can get ahold of and throwing it at each other. They never meant to cause so much pain to each other. I sometimes see scars and bandages on my mother or my father, but nothing to cause so much bleeding. I always got scared whenever they would scream out in pain, but I always knew that it wasn't that big an injury. 

~ ~ ~

I walked along the hallways of my home, listening for any sign of my parents. The odd thing was that I didn't hear any fighting. At this hour, they're sure to be fighting. I couldn't hear a single voice. My footsteps echoed through the halls and I quietly transitioned them from echoes to almost complete silence. 

~ ~ ~

I was nearing my parents bedroom. They were usually fighting with each other when they were alone in their room. But there was no sound at all that emanated from their walls. Not even through their bedroom door. It wasn't closed, which was strange. It's usually locked, considering that was where they fought with each other. In fact, the door was opened just a crack. I can barely make out a small glow of a light source in their room. Could they be sleeping at this hour? It didn't sound possible, even to my ears, that they could be asleep at this hour. 

~ ~ ~

Knocking on their door seemed to be the right thing to do, but in this case, I was full of caution. I was about to knock my knuckles against the door, when I heard the faintest sound of metal against metal. I decided against knocking on the door. The door wasn't wide enough for me to peek through, so I slowly pushed it to the point in which I could take a peek inside. 

~ ~ ~

I couldn't believe what I saw. I knew my parents would harm each other, but I didn't know that it would come to this. I knew my mother wouldn't do such a thing to my father. It's my father that she should be cautious of. A man's anger varies in many ways from a woman's anger. But anger for everyone is unpredictable.

~ ~ ~

My father stood beside the bed. He stood tall, as he didn't seem afraid. He sure wasn't afraid, but he was hesitant. I wanted to scream. Scream at him to stop. To turn away from this awful side of him. To be free of whatever plan he wanted to accomplish. But I couldn't speak. Nor move. I was frozen right on the spot. All I could do was watch. My feet wouldn't move at my command. As if it wanted me to watch and witness this event. 

~ ~ ~

My father was oblivious of the fact that his own son was watching nearby. He didn't even check his surroundings to check if there was a single soul in the same room as he is. My mother. She didn't even move a muscle. She wasn't even considering waking up from her deep slumber. They must've fought like hell today. The monster of all arguments. My mother was oblivious of what was occurring right now. Did she even see it coming? My father turning into a monster in just a matter of years they've been married together? She didn't. She never stopped to consider that my father would end up like this. She never stopped to consider that she would end up like this too. 

~ ~ ~

My father slowly carried on with his plan. In my mind, I was urging him to stop. To turn back. To reject the devil inside of him, making him do such a thing. But I knew that it wouldn't work. He would never hear my cries for him to stop. I wanted to say something. I felt like I needed to say something. Or else I'd be scarred my whole life for not speaking out when I needed to. But my mouth wouldn't move. It wouldn't budge. It stayed in it's original position in which I set it to. Closed but barely open. As if someone was trying to set something free by opening the cage just a little bit. But the thing is, that something doesn't want to be set free. It wants to stay in it's cage, fearing that something would happen to it if it was set free. Something unpleasant and something it didn't want to happen.

~ ~ ~

My father was nearing the accomplishment of his plan. Just a little bit more and it would be completed. Over. The end. My mother's doom. I couldn't stand to watch any more. I couldn't take it. Out of fear and a sudden urge to get away, I fled.

~ ~ ~

Author's Note: Hello readers. The prologue to this oneshot is out. I'll try to post this oneshot asap. Thanks for reading and I hope you like this. ^^