Prologue

12 Hours to Die

6:07PM Purge Day

To say that Tao was afraid at this point would be an understatement. Tao was absolutely freaking out and he had no idea what the hell he was going to do. Every time he looked at the horizon he would flinch when he saw that the sun had continued disappearing behind the many skyscrapers lining the city. If it were any other day, Tao honestly wouldn't spend five minutes looking at the sunset. But today it appeared as a countdown to his probable death, and he wanted nothing more than to turn back time a few hours so he could re-plan his days schedule in a much more intelligent way.

 

Because of Tao's poor planning and his general naivety he was going to be stuck outside on Purge Night. Looking back on his day he realized it was probably rather stupid of him to assume that he'd have more than enough time to drive home from University at the end of the day. Or he could have cancelled the meeting with his history professor. Hell he could have just stayed in his apartment and called in sick like most sensible people did on this day. Instead he just had to make an appointment with his professor about his stupid history essay that hardly seemed relevant now.

 

Things like this weren't supposed to happen to people like Tao. He'd been raised in a wealthy family that had had more than enough money to protect them from any murderous business men hoping to take revenge on his father for screwing up their lives or any thieves looking to steal the family fortune. Growing up The Purge simply meant an early bed time for Tao with the windows in his room boarded up with metal shutters. Tao and his family had never been personally affected by The Purge and Tao himself had never even witnessed the event on the news as it terrified him as a child and even now.

 

When Tao grew up and moved out everything had stayed the same. The apartment complex that he now lived in had more than enough security measures to protect it's inhabitants during The Purge (one of the reasons the rent was so damn expensive).

 

You could say that Tao didn't think that he was capable of witnessing all the people being killed on the news without having a strong urge to run out and save as many people as possible. But Tao was skinny, weak, and lacking basic defense skills. He'd taken Wushu lessons as a child but it wasn't like he could run out and hit people with a large stick, he'd be shot before he could even form a defensive stance.

 

Seven minutes, Tao had been seven minutes late arriving back to his apartment. Lock up started at six sharp and he knew that. Yet he'd still paled when he arrived to his complex to find that the building had already completed lock up and no matter how much he'd banged on the door and screamed at the security guards on the other side it was clear that he would not be let in, and would not be let in until The Purge had ended.

 

For a second Tao had toyed with that thought of running to the few stores that remained open and try to get some items that could help ensure his survival like a gun. He quickly dismissed the idea when he realized he had absolutely no idea how to use a gun and would probably end up making himself a target... or accidentally shoot himself.

 

In the end he had decided to stay far away from his expensive car which would surely catch the eye of various gangs and thieves. He'd also tried to mess up his clothes and hair as best as he could, hoping to appear as someone other than a bratty rich kid who had been stupid enough to get stuck outside during the Purge. At least he had worn dark clothes, making it possible to hide behind buildings and in alleys. He nodded to himself as he decided that hiding and waiting the twelve hours out would be his best option at surviving the night. Tao sent one last glance towards the skyline seeing the sun had almost disappeared. He had less than an hour before the night began and he intended to find the best hiding spot that would give him some kind of advantage towards his survival.

 

For now Tao was a sitting duck, wrapping himself in his jacket as best as he could, and whispering his final prayers.

 

6:32 PM Purge Day

 

Looking back at everything Kris probably should have seen this coming. For the past four years he'd been expecting something like this to happen and the one year he let his guard down is the one year there's a gang waiting outside his apartment.

 

When Kris left the gang four yeas ago he always knew that they wouldn't forget about him easily. Because of this he'd always carefully prepared for Purge Night by blocking the door and windows in his apartment and properly loading his jacket with necessary survival equipment just in case he was chased out of his building.

 

His apartment was cheap and had no protection for Purge Night. You were on your own and Kris hadn't minded before when he was more than capable of taking care of himself. But when he returned home from practice around six to find the gang that he had left years ago waiting outside his apartment he had cursed his cheap landlord and his constant insistence that the building was so cheap that no one would possibly target it during The Purge, and that buying extra security measures would simply be a waste of money.

 

Kris knew that he had to carefully plan his next moves or he wouldn't even survive to see the start of the Purge. He had nothing but his gym bag to protect him and it wasn't like he could just casually walk up to the group and enter his apartment. Just because The Purge hadn't officially started yet, didn't mean he was safe.

 

If the gang killed him now, people would find his body the next morning and just assume that he was murdered during The Purge. At the same time Kris couldn't hide behind the corner of the hallway forever, he needed his jacket if he wanted to even consider surviving tonight. His jacket had his gun and his knives, the few things he had managed to steal from the gang's hideout before leaving and never looking back.

 

“Kris, what are you doing?”

 

The whisper behind him made him whip his head around and raise his fists as fast as he could, only to find that it was just Suho, the police officer who lived in the apartment across from him. Kris relaxed and stuck his head around the corner to see if the incident had given away his hiding spot, but the gang remained in the position they had been in before.

 

Suho whispered again, “Do you need to get into your apartment?”

 

Kris nodded, when Suho grabbed his arm and dragged him out into the hallway. The gang looked up with shocked expressions when they saw him being dragged towards his apartment by the police officer. They put their hands to their weapons when they saw Kris, quickly standing up and forming their fighting formation with the strongest men in the front.

 

 

“Listen up everyone, The Purge hasn't started yet meaning you can't hurt Kris without consequences, and don't even think about trying anything because I'm not above using my gun if I have to, and all of your faces are exposed to the CCTV camera in the hallway.”

 

The gangs eyes narrowed at Suho as he pointed to the security camera facing the group and everyone slowly sat back down, reluctantly removing their hands from their weapons. Kris mumbled a quick thanks to his neighbour before unlocking his apartment and running to get his jacket, doing a double check to make sure that everything was tucked away in the pockets.

 

When he left his apartment he saw another man in a police uniform frantically explaining to Suho that they had to leave now if they wanted to get to the station on time. When Suho saw Kris leave his apartment he smiled and told his partner that they could leave now and gestured to Kris to walk with them. He knew that he wouldn't be allowed to stay with the pair and was already thinking of which direction he should head in when he got outside.

 

As Kris went to follow the pair, the gang leader grabbed Kris' wrist before leaning in to whisper in his ear, “Why do you have to make things difficult Kris, it would be easier for everyone if you simply accepted that you're going to die tonight.”

 

Kris didn't give the man a response and shoved him away before walking down the hallway, and sending a quick wave to the officers. If he survived tonight he made a mental note to take Suho out for drinks someday. Kris glanced at his watch to see he had less than twenty minutes to separate himself from the gang which was probably already making to follow him. Without a second thought Kris burst into a sprint running as far away from his neighbourhood as fast as he possibly could.

 

He figured his best bet would be to run into the nicer part of the city where he would have an advantage of knowing the layout of the city far better than the gang, who never strayed too far from their home territory.

 

Kris made a mental note to his mother promising that he would survive the night no matter what happened, he owed her that much.

 


A/N If people like this I'll continue it and probably write a chapter for every hour that takes place so since The Purge is 12 hours there will probably be 12 chapters. Thanks to anyone whoo actually reads this you're great and I love you :) Comments are appreciated