My Sweet Seranade

A Night to Remember - Sequel to Will You Go to Prom With Me? [twoshot]

The two barely recognized their own school when they pulled up. Couples were walking in through the front doors that were decorated in elaborate school colors. Jonghyun bit his lip and glanced at Kibum's expression: Pure anxiety.

"Kibum?"

"Y-Yeah?" the younger squeaked.

Yup he was right. Kibum always had a habit of letting the heat of the moment consume him. The anxiety of walking in with all eyes on them, as they were one of the few gay couples, was taking it's toll on Kibum.

"Listen, tonight is your night. You put so much effort into your outfit are you just gonna let if go to waste if you're stiff about it the whole time? If you focus on having fun then everything else will come naturally." Jonghyun cringed at the fact he had just quoted his sister, but waited for Kibum's response anyway. 

A slender hand clamped over Jonghyun's, "You're so damn right. I totally forgot the whole point of prom. In the end no one will remember each other's faces, just the fun night they had."

Jonghyun grinned, "You're absolutely right. Now let's go. Gotta come out with a bang right?"

"Right!"

Like a gentleman Jonghyun opened the passenger door for Kibum and offered his arm for him to hold. Kibum chuckled softly, but held onto Jonghyun like he was Beyoncé walking in with Jay-Z to the Grammys. 

Immediately heads started to turn and eyes began to widen. Jonghyun's lips turned up into a smirk. He knew half the reason was the fact that he and Kibum both were looking better than half the guys (and girls) there. They pushed through the double doors of the school gymnasium that was converted into a 20's themed prom. The DJ was blaring bass heavy music and the room was dimly lit with laser lights with a hazy, pinkish glow. 

"Whoa! Is that Kibum and Jonghyun I see?"

They cocked their heads to spot the missing pieces of the gang. Onew and Luna were matching with green, Minho and Sulli with turquoise, and finally Taemin and Amber with red. 

Sulli clapped her hands together in excitement, "You two look so good! Just like you stepped out of a magazine cover! Nice choice with the champagne too!" 

So apparently people can tell the difference between gold and champagne. 

They're all thrown into conversation after that. Onew talked about how he almost dragged Luna down with him when he missed a step on her stairwell during pictures while Amber talked about how Taemin spilled Starbucks on his suit three hours before.

So Jonghyun wasn't the only one having a hard time getting ready it seems. 

"What are we doing standing here talking?" Minho cuts in, "Let's go and dance! We're graduating soon for crying out loud let's have some fun!"

So they did, the nine wedged themselves in the crowd of already dancing classmates and let themselves be consumed by the vibrating bass of the music playing. Much to Jonghyun's surprise, Kibum didn't judge him for his stuff dancing. Actually, Kibum would grab onto Jonghyun's shoulder and sway his hips to the beat. He wasn't even paying attention to the fact Jonghyun had as much rhythm as their school librarian who's deaf in one ear. 

Was this an invitation to touch Kibum back? He looked around and saw other couples getting touchy. For crying out loud Luna is grinding on Jinki! That's got to be an invitation right? 

Oh.

Kibum just grabbed his hands and put it on his hips. 

Things just got interesting.

"Dance with me!" Kibum yells over the blaring music while the elder nods. 

The dance floor is so condensed that the two boys are so close to each other. Jonghyun swore he could hear Kibum's shallow and deep breaths as his hips swayed magically to the rhythm of the music.  This is just like the day dreams Jonghyun would have that normally ended with him drooling enough the fill a pool. Kibum was hot, simple as that. 

The song switches on the party only to cause a wild response from everyone.

It was Kibum's anthem.

I've been drinkin'...I've been drinkin'...

Kibum gasped as he started to recognize the song.

"THIS IS MY SONG!!" 

Jonghyun knew that. He bought Kibum the album for his birthday.

Kibum jerked around and pressed his back to Jonghyun's front. 

Oh please, let this not be some twisted dream. If it is please don't let me wake up from it, Jonghyun mentally begged.

The two swayed together to the sensual beat. The elder knew for sure he was drunk in love. Very far from sober in fact. When the bass dropped Kibum got more intense, but so did Jonghyun. It got to the point where they both forgot about the dancing bodies around them. It was just them in their own little world and Kibum wouldn't have it any other way.

Over the course of a year, Kibum became more conscious of Jonghyun. The subtle stares, the way he payed full attention to the younger when he spoke, the occasional touches, the fond look in his eyes when Kibum would laugh, he noticed all of it. 

But they've been practically dancing around each other to avoid making anything of it.

Why?

Because they were both afraid of being rejected by the other.

However, tonight just might be the push Jonghyun needs to grow a pair and confess to Kibum. 

The DJ's voice cuts in through the slowly fading music, "Refreshments and food has just been served so please go and help yourself!"

Kibum stops dancing on Jonghyun and let's out a slightly embarrassed puff of breath. 

"Do you wanna...?"

"Yeah, I'm a little bit thirsty." Jonghyun nodded.

He was thirsty alright.

Thirsty for Kibum.

They head on over to the refreshments table and Kibum ensues conversation with some friend of his. Jonghyun waits patiently while sipping a Cherry Shirley Temple when he spots Minho grabbing a can of Pepsi. 

"Yo! Cow eyes!"

The tall boy looks up from his drink and smiles when he sees Jonghyun.

"Hey man. I saw you dancing with Kibum earlier~ Good job man! You guys we'll be married at this rate
by the end of the night!" he pats Jonghyun's back while the elder blushes the color of his drink. 

"I was shocked myself. I couldn't believe he was dancing on me...But hey you and Sulli? I saw the way you two were dancing too!"

"I told you we're just friends. Can't two friends dance and have a good time?"

"Yeah, okay." 

Minho rolls his eyes and takes a sip from the blue can in his hands, "I think I have the perfect way for you to get Kibum to be your boyfriend."

"Do tell, cow eyes." Jonghyun swirled his drink with a small straw.

"Ask the DJ to let you borrow the microphone and serenade him. Our choir teacher treats you like Korean Jesus of music, you could so pull it off. Sing him that song you wrote. Clearly it's about him so it gets you double points." Jonghyun stops stirring his drink and turns to Minho with wide eyes.

"Minho I could kiss you right now. That is the best idea ever."

"I'm surprised you haven't thought of it."

"Like seriously, I could hug you."

"Save all that for Kibum." 

The elder bit his lip, he had in fact wrote a song for Kibum. A lot of his songs were inspired by him actually. He never wrote Kibum's name directly though. Jonghyun always referred to the younger as the 'fox'. In essence, that's was Kibum was to him. 

Jonghyun quickly took out his phone and texted SoDam.

To: SoDam
Hey can you go into my computer and send me the file named Juliette?

From: SoDam
Instrumental or recording? Plus what for?

To:SoDam
I have a plan and I need it. Send me the instrumental.

In a few seconds a little notification popped up on his email. He tested it to see if it worked, which it did, and snuck over to the DJ hoping Kibum would occupy himself talking just a little bit longer. 

The DJ was actually pretty cool about the whole thing and agreed to do it towards the end of the night. As soon as he was walking back Kibum had caught up with Jonghyun. 

"There you are! I was looking for you! Listen, Taemin and Amber are going in the photobooth and asked us to come with! C'mon~!" Kibum's dainty hand intertwined with Jonghyun's and dragged him to the booth.

Taemin had a feather boa and a crown on his head while Amber had cat ears and nerd glasses on from the prop table. 

"Ah~ Jonghyun we found this and we thought it would be perfect for you!" Amber placed a pink tiara on Jonghyun's head.

Kibum let's out a loud, boisterous laugh, "Ah~ Jonghyun you look so cute!"

"Ha ha, very funny guys."

"Ah wait you're missing your boa!" Taemin throws a sparkly purple boa over Jonghyun and grins.

Jonghyun always knew Taemin was secretly satan. 

Kibum puts on a pair of pink cheetah print cat ears and star shaped sunglasses. The four cram into the tiny booth while Amber hits the start button on the screen. 

The first picture they all make double peace signs. The second picture both Kibum and Jonghyun get into a diva pose while Amber and Taemin make silly faces. The last picture, two seconds before the flash Jonghyun feels a pair of plush lips on his cheek, making his eyes go wide as the flash goes off. 

••• ••• ••• ••• •••

Jonghyun ran his thumb over the last picture in the strip as he hung out by the DJ table. It was only a matter of minutes before Jonghyun would serenade Kibum in front of their entire grade. Minho and Sulli are in charge of keeping Kibum occupied so he could slip away without him noticing. Then the DJ waves Jonghyun over handing over the microphone.

"Excuse me! May I have everyone's attention?" the music slowly faded and everyone turns their attention to Jonghyun and the DJ.

He starting to regret this now.

If he pisses himself he's murdering Minho.

The DJ turns to the droopy eyed boy and tells him to take over. 

"H-Hi...Um, tonight I came here with someone I've had a crush on for quite a while. Actually since freshman year...three weeks ago I asked him to the prom in which he said yes. Kibum, I want to ask you something else," Jonghyun pauses and searches for Kibum in the crowd, "Will you be mine?"

The crowd starts to murmur with mixed responses. Jonghyun hits play on his phone that is now connected to the DJ's sound system. He his lips and held the microphone tightly, he could do this. He got this far didn't he? 

Song for my Juliette!

Slowly all of Jonghyun's worries and fears melted away as he focused solely on singing out his feelings. If his choir teacher was here she would've been in tears by now from how amazing the performance was.

Please give me a chance

When you look at me with those eyes

I want to hold you in my arms

But to me, you’re like a playful fox

He finally found Kibum in the crowd. He can't see his face all that well but he can see the giant smile on his face. 

Juliette, I’ll give you my soul

Juliette, please accept me

Juliette, sweetly, a little more 
sweeter

Whisper my serenade

The brown haired male smiled as he pulled his lips from the mic, taking a sweeping bow as the whole sea of students started to clap and cheer. The DJ takes the mic from Jonghyun's hands and asks the million dollar question.

"So Kibum? What's your answer?"

It gets quiet and the crowd practically splits like the Red Sea to leave Kibum in the middle. His hands are covering his mouth and his eyes look teary. He mumbles something that Jonghyun can't quite hear. Amber cups her hands over like a megaphone.

"He said hell yeah!"