Getting Ready For the Night of Nights

A Night to Remember - Sequel to Will You Go to Prom With Me? [twoshot]

 So there Jonghyun was, sitting at home a mere few hours away from the biggest night of his high school career. All students attending the prom were allowed to leave during fourth period to get ready for tonight’s event.


Why was he sitting doing nothing then?  


Because he was a guy and really all he had to do was put on the tux SoDam helped him pick out (that Kibum approved of, of course) and do his hair up all nice. That, however, was not why he was more jittery than Jinki on caffeine. No, it was because his long term crush had agreed to go to the prom with him. 
Knowing Kibum he’s probably going to go all out on his outfit and would want Jonghyun to match him to the last thread in his suit. Jonghyun was more focused on the night itself. He wasn’t a good dancer, but Kibum was. He didn’t want to mess it up for Kibum either. He knows how much Kibum was looking forward to prom. That’s all he every talked about ever since they graduated junior high.
Just then SoDam enters the house through the front door, giving him an odd look as to why he’s lounging on the couch.


"Did Kibum bail on you or something? You look depressed." she commented as she took off her shoes in the foyer. 


The younger shook his head, “No I’m still going with him. I’m just a little nervous.”

The weight next to him shifts as his sister takes a seat next to him.

"Well, my prom was a lot of fun. It’s not as bad as you think. If you focus on having a good time, things will happen naturally with no thinking necessary."

The younger nodded his head. He understood what she was saying, he really did.

SoDam leant back in the couch, her face visibly exhausted from work, “I was afraid he yelled at you over the phone because we got a gold vest instead of ‘champagne’. To be honest I don’t really see the difference, but it’s whatever.” 

"Well yeah Kibum is really zeroed in on the appearance aspect. He wants us to make a statement." SoDam snorts and waves her hand.
"Oh please. Just the fact you two are going together makes a statement. There aren’t too many gay couples at your school. To my knowledge all your friends have female dates?"

Jonghyun nodded and counted off on his fingers, “Jinki hyung is going with Luna, Minho is going with Sulli, and Taemin is going with Amber.”

Actually funny story with Taemin, he wasn’t going originally. Somehow Amber convinced him since her date bailed on her to go with Sunny. Jonghyun remembers how Amber tackled him in the hallways between sixth and seventh period asking if he knew anyone without a date. 

"Well," his sister combed back her bangs, "doesn’t matter. You’re still gonna have fun. Knowing Kibum after pictures and the entrance are over you’ll be fine. You guys look cute together. Who knows? Maybe you’ll be a couple by the end of the night~"

Jonghyun’s cheeks burned and went to lightly hit Sodams arm.

"Yah! Don’t play around like that! 

 

Two hours before the prom 


"Oh my god where the hell is my left shoe?"

 

" where did I leave my phone— Ah hah! Wait, that’s just my iPod."

 

"How the hell do you put on a corsage?!"


The short boy was running around like a maniac looking for his things attempting to get ready. After his talk with SoDam he fell asleep right after dinner on accident. When he woke up he had a little less than two hours to get ready.

You may ask why rush when he has two hours? 

The almighty Kibum asked— no, more like demanded the droopy eyed boy to be at his house an hour before to take pictures. So he sprinted to the shower and took one of the quickest showers he’s ever taken. He nearly fell twice in the slippery, porcelain tub, but managed to stay in one piece and free of bruises. 

His room was an even bigger mess thanks to his frantic raid for his vest (which turned out to magically appear in Roo’s doggy bed) while his tux was strewn over the swivel chair by his desk. Jonghyun probably went through half his jar of styling gel and a quarter of a can of hairspray to get his hair to perfection. He even went to get it dyed from a dark brown to a golden brown with blonde and dark brown highlights.

According to Kibum, he looked like an idol. 

As if.

After his battle with his hair was conquered, he hurried to put on his suit and brush away any of Roo’s dog hairs off of the vest. The room smelled like Jonghyun’s Axe cologne and hair gel. The brown haired boy scrunched his face up in slight disgust from the overwhelming smell as he looked himself over one last time before dashing downstairs. 
Jonghyun barely has his shoes on when Kibum texts him.


From: Kibummie 

You better be here in 10 minutes! You live far you know! 

He knew that, that's why he almost put his left shoe on his right because he was in such a rush. 

Corsage? 

Check

Phone?

Check

Keys?

Check

He crossed everything off in his mental checklist and grabs the door knob to leave. That is until his mother stops him to take pictures before he left.

"Moooom~! I need to go! Kibum is waiting for me!" he whined in between pictures.

"Ah stop whining let me take one more!" his mother shushed him as she snapped one more eye blinding picture of her son with the family camera.

"Okay now you can leave."

"Finally!"

"Stay safe! Don't drink!"

"Yeah, yeah!"

Jonghyun had never pulled out of his driveway and into Kibum's so fast in his life. With just two minutes to spare he rang the door bell at Kibum's house and waited as Mrs. Kim opened the door.

"Ah, you must be Jonghyun! Come in, come in! Kibum will be down in a moment." she stepped aside as Jonghyun smiled curtly and stepped inside right next to the stairwell. 

They made small idle chat until Kibum appeared at the stairwell. Talk about a jaw dropping entrance. Jonghyun could barely believe he was looking at the same Kibum. His hair was styled almost professionally and face flawless, but then again when wasn't it?

 

"Oh my little boy! Look how handsome you look!" Mrs. Kim exclaimed while waving over Mr. Kim. 

Kibum made his way down the steps with his cheeks flushed a light pink. Clearly, as much as he liked attention, this certain kind was making him embarrassed. His tux did in fact match Jonghyun's. Jonghyun didn't even notice he was gaping at said boy. 

"Whoa... Kibum you look...whoa..." was all Jonghyun could utter since his brain seemed to forgot how to articulate. 

Kibum makes it to the bottom of the steps and smiles shyly at the shorter boy. A flash breaks the mental conversation the two are having. 

"Well go on! Give him the corsage!" Mrs. Kim urged them on with waves of her hand. 

Jonghyun fumbled with his pocket and pulled out a white carnation corsage with hints of champagne (not gold he remembered this time) on the petals. He slipped it on Kibum's wrist and mentally sighed with relief seeing that it fit snugly. 

"It's beautiful. You have nice taste." he heard Kibum say to him. Jonghyun merely grinned in response. 

"Jonghyun pose with Kibum so we can take pictures! Oh and don't worry, I'll send you copies!"

"Mom!" 

The two high schoolers posed with each other or basically Jonghyun held Kibum from behind and gave his best camera smile. After what seemed to Jonghyun like ages of camera flashes and Mrs. Kim giving them orders, the two headed into Jonghyun's car and backed out of Kibum's driveway.

"I'm so nervous. I think I probably almost threw up like twice today." the younger admitted as he drummed his fingers on the window of the passengers seat.

Jonghyun raised a brow, "Really? You seemed like you were really lax about the whole thing to me. I nearly destroyed my room because I couldn't find my vest. Plus my mom was holding my hostage at the door with non stop picture taking."

"Oh," Kibum said simply before turning bashful again, "but you look really handsome. You clean up really well, Jonghyun. I'm impressed."

Jonghyun briefly glanced at Kibum, a shy smile creeping onto his face as he sped out onto the main road.

"Me? Impressed the almighty Kim Kibum? I should put that on my college application. They'd accept me in a heartbeat." 

Kibum lets out a boisterous laugh, hitting Jonghyun's arm lightly, "You're so mean! I can be nice when I want to be! I just...I'm really happy you asked me."

"Oh really? You seemed really unsure when I asked." 

"Well...yeah. That was because I was a bit in shock. I didn't think anyone was gonna ask me. I wasn't asking anyone for sure. I would freeze up and blow it if I attempted. So um...thanks for asking me." Jonghyun listens carefully as Kibum explains then shakes his head with a tsk.

"Kibum, Kibum~ It's my honor to be your date. If you hadn't said yes I was ready to crawl under a rock and never come out." 

"Well your promposal was really extravagant."

"I know that's why I probably would've cried if you denied me in front of all those people."

"Aw! Jjongie!"

"Yah!!" 

It was going to be a night to remember.

Jonghyun knew that for sure.