Fun at the Winter Ball

I Won't Dance

Yixing stood with one shoulder resting against the wall near the table where the snacks were laid out. He was still not sure how he'd allowed his best friend, Jongup, to talk him into coming to the party anyway! It supposed to be the Winter Ball, but Yixing certainly wasn't having a ball.

Even though everyone was masked and in their finest dress clothes it didn't help ease the stress that came with being in a large group of strangers! Besides he'd much rather be back at the dorm brooding thinking about why that super y guy he'd literally bumped into at the coffee shop had yet to contact him! Just because Yixing hadn't thought to give him his number while he was ogling checking out apologizing to the handsome stranger, that was no excuse! The man should have hired a Private Investigator or hired a sky-writer for the love of Daehyun! Yixing looked around at the faces of the other guests. Most looked like they were having fun, at least a small bit. As he was observing, a deep, rumbling voice interrupted his thoughts and brought him back to his current situation.

 

"Would you like to dance?" the stranger's voice asked.

Yixing turned around to see a tall, handsome stranger. The stranger was smiling, but Yixing found it a little creepy, as the stranger's one eye crinkled closed with the strength of his huge smile. How could he politely reject him? The man was a giant! What if he didn't handle rejection well? Yixing thought the stranger more nervous than dangerous. Even though the stranger was a bit disturbing, he still seemed kind.

"No thanks, I'm just waiting for a friend. Sorry." Yixing responded with a small smile.

"Alright, but I'll get you next time short stuff." The taller man said seeming a bit disappointed.

 

Yixing then goes back to his visual exploration of the people and the room. It was elegantly decorated with silver snowflakes glistening and even an ice sculpture of a......unicorn? What does a unicorn have to do with winter, or a ball or a winter ball, he wondered? Maybe the host has a fondness for unicorns, Yixing thinks to himself with a small giggle. He then moved to stand closer to the nearest table.

 

He spied across the room, an owl eyed boy shyly waving at him. 'He's ADORABLE!!!!!!' thought Yixing. He returned the wave with an equally shy wave of his own. The owl eyed boy's smile widened as he turned away.

'OOOOKkkkkaaayyyy... that was a bit odd' Yixing thought with a shrug he dismissed it from his thoughts.

 

Yixing returned his gaze to the party goers when he spotted his friend, Tao, walking towards him with his expressionless boyfriend in tow.

'People I know!!' Yixing was delighted with this thought, because Guppie disappeared shortly after they arrived saying he had to use the restroom. Now thinking about it, he hoped his friend hadn't gotten lost.

"Hey Xing! What are you doing here?" Tao asked inquisitively. "I thought you said you were busy tonight?"

"Not much, just being bored out of my mind." Yixing replied. "Jong Up guilted me into coming with him to the party and now he's disappeared!"

"I saw him a minute ago talking to that really tall, quiet boy from our dance class. They seemed unaware of anyone else! "Kris said with a small smirk. "You should dance with someone, Yixing. You know you love to dance." Kris continued.

"Yeah, but I just haven't seen anybody worth dancing with yet." Yixing said with a small sigh.

"Don't worry, you won't be bored all night." Tao said knowingly. He gave his friend a wink before returning his attention back to his boyfriend. "Kris ge," Tao said with an aegyo infused pout, "Let's go dance! Buing Buing"

Kris couldn't say no to anything when his boo asked like that and led Tao by the elbow to the dance floor.

 

Yixing sighed. He was alone and bored again!

Yixing scanned the crowd in search of Guppie's distinctively purple hair so he could let him know he had as much "fun" as he could handle for one night when a pair of strong arms circled his waist and warm breath was felt against his ear!

"Hey handsome! I've got you now! You have no chance of escaping me!" A voice purred. Yixing couldn't help but jump and let out a tiny squeak of surprise! "Ooops! Sorry! You're not my Min Seokkie!" the stranger said with a slight pout, dropping his arms to his sides.

Yixing smiled and shook his head. 'Somebody had a little too much to drink, didn't they?' He thought to himself.

"Care to join the Chensing machine on the dance floor to make my Min Seokkie jealous?" The stranger said while pointing a thumb at his own chest with a head nod and a cocky grin.

"Sorry! I was just leaving to some place that isn't here!" Yixing replied, the last part a whisper.

"Awww....come on just one dance?" Chen coaxed in a slightly slurred voice. He grabbing Yixing's wrist in an attempt to drag him to the dance floor.

"N-" was all Yixing could get out before Chen was stopped by a shorter boy with beautiful brown eyes and slightly flushed round cheeks.

"Sorry if my idiot was bothering you! I'm Min Seok. I work at the coffee shop in town. Iced Café Americano extra sugar, right?" The boy said with a bashful smile.

A bright smile spread across Yixing's face bringing out the dimple in his right cheek.

"That's right!" he said. Would it be wrong to ask this near stranger if he remembered the HOT man Yixing had almost knocked over in the cafe three days ago? He knew it was wrong but it was still tempting.

While Yixing was trying to think of a non creepy way to ask Min Seok if he knew ANYTHING about the Heaven sent angel poor man who may be suffering from their collision, Chen was busy nibbling on the shorter boys neck which only caused the blush on the boys cheeks to deepen. The nibbling continued to Min Seok's earlobe, something was whispered into the boy's ear that brought a deep red color to his already heated cheeks. Yixing decided it wasn't the best time to be asking questions and hastily excused himself.

 

Well that was awkward! What else can happen before I can escape to craziness. Yixing thought to himself.

He spotted Jong In standing near the boy who had smiled and waved to him earlier. The shorter boy was gazing at Jong In as if he wanted to gobble him up like a french pastry. Jong In on the other hand was busy checking out the party goers. Their eyes meet across the crowd and Jong In smiled and waved to Yixing. Yixing and Jong In had first period dance class together and since neither one of them were morning people they kinda bonded together.

Jong In made his way over to Yixing with the shorter boy still in tow.

"Hey buddy!" Said Jong In as he got close enough to be heard over the party noise. "I thought you said you wouldn't be able to join the fun tonight!" Jong In said with a slightly disturbing wink and nudge to the ribs. "Since you're here, let's dance!"

What the heck! Yixing thought. Why was everyone trying to drag him onto the dance floor? He really only wanted to dance with one person and since he wasn't here......

"No. Thanks anyway! Why don't you dance with your friend?" Yixing said with a slightly awkward smile and a gesture towards the shorter boy.

"Huh?" Jong In seemed unaware of the boy at his side for a moment. He glanced down, smiled and wrapped his arm around the shorter boy winning him a sweet smile. Until he said "Kyung Soo doesn't mind! Do ya, babe?" with a peck on the boys forehead. The bright smile left Kyung Soo's heart shaped lips to be replaced by a slightly more strained one. "No. It's fine." Kyung Soo mumbled.

Yixing could see it wasn't fine but there wasn't much he could do about that now except decline Jong In's offer to hit the dance floor.

"No, I'm errr... waiting for someone!" Yixing stammered.

Kyung Soo saw it for the lie it was and smiled gratefully at Yixing while Jong In just nodded and said "Hope ya get lucky buddy!" Another creepy wink and he was off in search of something. Probably the rumored fried chicken that was one of the selling points he'd used in an attempt to talk Yixing into coming to tonight's party.

 

He needed to find Jung Up ASAP! There was a group of boys nearby playing what Yixing assumed to be a game of Truth or Dare by the amounts of awkwards kisses, embarrassed faces and loud bursts of laughter. Yixing tried to slip past unnoticed only to be spotted by one of the boys. It would have to be Him Chan from his math class! Him Chan gloried in making Yixing's life miserable! This isn't going to end well! An almost evil smile crept onto Him Chan's face before he said something Yixing couldn't hear to the tall boy with the rainbow hair. The kid glanced over to where Yixing was frozen to the spot and nodded to Him Chan. No emotion showed on his young face, making Yixing even more uncomfortable.

He should just run now and not worry about tracking down Guppie! As he turned to flee, an arm wrapped around his waist, effectively freezing him in his tracks! Yixing gave an unmanly squeak as he was spun into a strong pair of arms and practically carried out to the dance floor. Yixing looked up into the taller boy's eyes to see an almost apologetic look before the closed expression returned. The boy was a good dancer but Yixing didn't like the fact that his was there against his will. He just wanted to be in the arms of his y coffee shop god. :(

No words were spoken between the pair as they perfectly executed the intricate steps of the waltz together. Yixing was starting to relax and let the music flow through his body when he felt a tap on his shoulder. He turned his head to see the smiling face of his friend Lu Han.

 

"Care to switch partners?" Lu Han asked adding a wink to his smile. Yixing knew Lu Han had a crush on the young rainbow haired boy for a while now. 'Bout time he made a move!' Yixing's smiled sweetly to his friend as he turned with a questioning look to his dance partner. The boy gave a short nod of agreement and a tender smile. Lu Han slid into the dancer's arms much closer than Yixing had been and proceeded to slide his hand down the boy's back to on the younger boys bum.

Yixing gapped! Wait! What did I miss? Since when are they THAT close?!?!

 

A gentle tap on his shoulder snapped Yixing out of his shocked state and reminded him they were switching partners and he had left his standing alone for longer than needed. He turned smiling apologetically only to come face to face with a heart stoppingly gorgeous face. Granted he could only see part of it due to the dang mask, but OH MY GUKKIE!!! His eyes sparkled with mischief and his lips were made to be kissed! Did it get warmer in here or what?

"Shall we?" Yixing's partner asked with a playful smile on his sinful lips. That smile wiped all proper thought right out of Yixing's brain.

Yixing stood unmoving possibly drooling as his dance partner gently took his hand in one of his own and placing the other on Yixings hip. The other man began to move to the music but Yixing was still lost in a stunned stupor and not up to his usual graceful self. He stumbled, which caused him to bump into his friend, Baek Hyun, as Baek Hyun was weaving his way through the dancers. Yixing was thrown off balance by the collision and ended up crashing face first into chest of his dance partner. He was too embarrassed to look up until he heard a warm chuckle and "We really need to stop meeting like this!" Wait! What??? He raised his stunned gaze to be met by the soul melting smile of the coffee shop god who'd taken off his mask. "Hello sweetie!"

 

Baek Hyun in the meantime was sent reeling in the opposite direction and straight into the arms of a warm giant. The giant gave the smaller boy a warm, if slightly crinkly eyed, smile as he set him back on his own feet. Baek Hyun couldn't resist smiling back! He felt instantly safe in the taller man's presence and not so lost in the sea of strangers. He made a mental note to thank Yixing for knocking him into the hunk hulk of a man.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

A/N

Hi! Thank you so much for reading! I hope you enjoyed it! : ) Please leave comments!! Also, let me know if anyone cares about backstories or if you would like to see spinoffs. Anyone catch the Doctor Who reference at the end?? (wink wink nudge nudge)