Under the Cypress Trees [MinSul]

Love is Never Pretty

This may be considered a prequel to 1: Calm in the Wake of the Storm.

 

 

Stars shone bright above the university's light, and Sulli Choi stood outside the girls' dormitory, looking longingly through the windows. Her breath misted against the cool clear glass, leaving a white fog over the faces of the girls inside, laughing with each other, smiling, loving together. Not with Sulli.

 

She had been thrown out, not least because she didn't fit in. She was weird. She had a strange talent for music, according to Yoona, yet she didn't want to be a musician; she wanted to be an actress. She wasn't as interested in boys as the rest of them; they for it. Going lesbo, Sulli? Please don't hit on us, Sulli! Make sure you don't get your lesbo cooties all over our apartment, Sulli. And so here she was, thrown out of her own sorority, because she didn't fit in enough.

 

I'm not gay, she wanted to say. I like boys just the same as the rest of you. It's just that boys aren't all I think about. I want to come back, please. I took a year off practice with my band so I could catch up on school, relax and unwind - maybe even find a boyfriend. Not so that I could freeze to death in the middle of Seoul.

 

But she didn't say it. She was cowardly, as always. So she shivered and clutched the windowsill, thinking of Vic eomma's warm hugs and delicious cooking and Luna's bright smile, wishing she hadn't come to college, wishing she was anywhere but here. It was your choice, she said to herself; you alone pushed for this, and now you'll bear the consequences.

 

She pressed her forehead to the window and sniffled; her hot tears turned cold as soon as they fell on her cheeks. She was a failure in life. No degree, no boyfriend, and - now that she'd taken time away from her band mates - she was sure she'd lost them, too. In fact, they'd probably already forgotten her. Sulli? Choi Sulli? We don't know any Choi Sullis around here, they'd say. Must be the next apartment over.

 

She heard footsteps behind her and turned, rubbing her eyes dry. There was Minho, probably the only person who'd been nice to her all semester, coming toward her with a smile on his face. Only there was a problem. He had a girl with him.

 

Yoona and Sunny had been right. She was a failure in life. She couldn't even get Minho - quiet, funny, happy Minho, who seemed to like her so much - to be her boyfriend.

 

She dropped her head and let out a little sob despite herself.

 

"Sulli," said Minhi, still with that goofy smile still on his face.  Idiot. "Ssul!"

 

Sulli turned away automatically so he wouldn't see her face, but he just kept coming.

 

"Sulli," puffed Minho, "look what I found." He pulled the girl in front of her. "Her name is Krystal - Soojung - " and his grin grew wider - "and I heard she'll be joining your band this summer. Isn't that great, Ssul?"

 

Sulli turned her face away, hiding behind her long curtain of hair, pretending not to notice, while scrutinizing the girl from behind her hair. She was pretty cute, she had to admit. She hoped this Soojung would be a good girlfriend to Minho oppa.

 

Her Minho, she reminded herself. Her Minho oppa would be distracted by this Soojung character, and pretty soon he and Sulli probably wouldn't be friends any more. The very thought of it made her eyes prickle again with fresh tears.

 

She looked up at Minho's smiling face, at the bright eyes of this new girl, and she bit her lip hard and brushed her hair back, determined not to show her weakness.

 

"When do you join the band?" she asked the girl, careful not to let her voice crack.

 

"June," said the girl. She had a lovely voice - smooth, low, perfect for whispering sweet nothings in Minho's ear, thought Sulli bitterly. Good for singing in her band, too. She'd probably become a replacement for Sulli, once they kicked her out.

 

The girl was talking again. Her happy, pretty voice lit up the night and Minho was watching her, gazing at her with a dopey smile on his face, like she was the most beautiful girl in the world.

 

"I - I have to go," said Sulli, and then she her heel and fled.

 

Behind her she heard voices - Minho calling out her name? She didn't care. The stars and the night sky were witness to her sobs, and the dim trees of Namsan seemed more welcoming than ever.

 

"Sulli, wait!" She could hear his voice clearly now, and, yes, he was calling her name. She imagined what would follow. We can still be friends, he'd say. I'll make sure I still call you twice a year. Maybe I'll even remember your birthday once in a while, Ssul, how would you like that? All while being deliriously happy with this Soojung girl.

 

Perhaps she was being selfish, suggested a little voice in her head. What if she was wrong? What if this Soojung was really just Minho's sister, or a favorite cousin? Then maybe Sulli would still have a chance, never mind how ugly or distant she was. After all, she'd only known Minho for a few months. He might not have mentioned a sister yet.

 

"Ssul," she heard, and then Minho's strong arms were around her in a friendly hug. "Ssul, what are you doing out here? Shouldn't you be back with the girls at the dormitory?"

 

"They - they threw me out," Sulli whispered, and then suddenly she found herself crying again. "They said I was weird. They said I was gay."

 

Minho laughed. "I don't see why they'd throw you out for being gay," he said, "although for what it's worth, I don't think you're gay. In any case, you can sleep at my place tonight, all right? My roommate just move out, and I'd feel pretty bad about letting the extra bedroom go to waste..."

 

Sulli raised her head. "You don't?" She whispered.

 

Minho looked at her askance. "Don't what?"

 

"Don't think I'm gay."

 

"No...I should think that's pretty obvious. Why?"

 

Sulli didn't answer.

 

"Anyway," said Minho, "let's go to my place for tonight."

 

Sulli looked up at him. "Soojung isn't your relative," she whispered, "is she?"

 

Minho looked at her in surprise. "No....no, she isn't. Why do you ask?"

 

"I'm really happy for you," Sulli whispered.

 

Minho stared at her. "What?"

 

"For you and her."

 

Minho dropped his gaze and bit his lip. And Sulli knew that she was right. He liked Soojung.

 

They walked the entire way to Minho's in absolute silence. When they got to the long row of cypress trees lining the front avenue, Minho stopped and turned around to face Sulli. His face seemed conflicted.

 

"Sulli," he said, "I need to tell you something."

 

"What?" she whispered.

 

"Ssul," Minho started, "I don't think you understand. I'm not in love with Soojung. I only met her tonight. I like somebody else already, Ssul."

 

She looked at him. "Jinjja?"

 

"Jinjja," he said, and laughed. "C'mon, Ssul, I wouldn't lie to you." He shifted his feet in the gravel. "So, um...let's go in?"

 

Sulli didn't budge. "What is she like?"

 

"Who?"

 

"This person that you're in love with."

 

"Well," he said, and gazed out over the cypress trees. "She's very beautiful, and funny, and smart, and personally I think she has the most amazing voice - even when she's not singing."

 

Soojung fits that description perfectly, thought Sulli, and so do the rest of my bandmates. "Well, I hope you and her get together sometime."

 

Minho stared at her, then laughed. "Well," he says, "looks like I'm not getting anywhere with you, babo. Let's start over."

 

And he leaned forward and kissed her.

 

Babo, was all she could think. He called me babo.

 

And when he finally came up for air, she slapped him lightly on the cheek and said, "You said I was babo!"

 

He laughed. "Yes, because you are." His voice softened. "I'm sorry if you didn't like it, though..."

"Don't be," Sulli breathed, and then grinning, repeated, "Don't be. In fact, I want you to call me babo again. As often as you can."

 

And she leaned forward and kissed him deeply, and they stayed that way for a long, long time, standing out under the stars and the cypress trees.

~~~

Author-nim used sporadic surprise update!  It's very effective. :D

So, as stated in the title of this chapter, this can be considered a very early prequel to my first story - about five years previously, when Sulli is eighteen - or, as I prefer, it can be enjoyed separately.  I didn't know if you guys would be disappointed or not by the small break from Jungli, so you can let me know in the comments if you want this fic to be a mixture of pairings, or mostly just Jungli and their escapades. :3  Also, I will be leaving on a trip this Wednesday and won't be back until mid-August; I'll still be able to write and hopefully even post updates, but it might be a little hard to get wifi (or free time) on some days. D:

 

Anyway, hope you enjoy!  As always, comments, critiques, and feedback are highly appreciated in the comments section. ^^

 

Regards~

Author