A list of references made in this story~

Sanctuary

IF YOU READ THIS BEFORE THE FIC YOU ARE DIGGING YOUR OWN GRAVE BC THE ENTIRE THING IS SPOILERS DON'T READ THIS BEFORE THE FIC OR I WILL CRY I SWEAR.

Oh gosh so I'm going to go through and find all the references I made in this fanfic because I'm really darn bored and there's still another month until your birthday (though of course when you're reading this it will be your birthday or later but right now it's still July).

할 수 있어! 시작해!

  1. I never actually went to a youth camp with my church, but it's a small shoutout to SLS, being the camp where we "met". They met at camp, we met at camp. 
  2. September 4th - the day I started reading SLS.
  3. Coincidentally - this really is a coincidence, I didn't choose this - the two are six months, 22 days apart, while we are six months and 13 days apart. Pretty awesome.
  4. My friends didn't dub you as my wife, I gave you that title myself, but since I referred to you and your fic so often, it was easy to call you my wife so they knew who I was talking about.
  5. Jongin is sort of supposed to be my best friend (although they aren't entirely similar). Also, he's in love with Kyungsoo, and so is my best friend. It worked out well.
  6. I really don't have a lot of friends. If you asked me, I would say I have one. But I have other sort-of friends and acquaintances. I'm not very social. (Thus neither is Chanyeol.)
  7. November 26th is the day I officially told you we were married. 
  8. Chanyeol's birthday presents! The giraffe, bandaids, cotton balls and gloves were in reference to Showtime ep. 4, and the scarf is that crazy scarf Yeol used to wear. The card with the shirtless guys is a card I actually received a couple birthdays ago from my own friends. We always give gag-cards.
  9. Also, Baekhyun made Yeol a card and I love handmade cards more than store bought ones (though I like both).
  10. I have a moon-chair. It's purple and psychadelic (it's a bit over the top).
  11. I'm not that good at Rock Band, and I don't play the drums. In their case, I'm more the Jongin, and my best friend is the constant 95% scorer.
  12. Originally they were going to play laser tag at Chanyeol's birthday, as I did on my birthday, but I researched and couldn't find laser tag in Korea, so instead it was paintball! Similar-ish concept, anyway.
  13. Chanyeol's habit of writing down notes and letters was sort of a shout-out to Miscalc. It was also a reference to you writing your fanfics. (See next point for further details)
  14. Him being kicked out was (albeit unintentionally!) similar to the same situation happening in SLS. The actual inspiration for that was your family almost discovering your fanfics. (Thus why Chanyeol's family found the things he had written, the same way yours almost did.) That's where this whole fic came from in the first place. That ordeal was my inspiration. This was one of the rare cases where Chanyeol was you and Baekhyun was me; generally it's the other way around though.
  15. Chanyeol texting rather than calling Baekhyun was a bit of a reference to when I was kicked out of my own place and texted my best friend to ask if I could stay at her place. (Given, I texted her because I don't have calling on my phone, but still.)
  16. The fort is about 1000% my fort. I built a fort recently and it used to have that ugly green flowery sheet (the one that, oddly, you found cute; you're too perfect for Baek's role, I swear) as the tent and it was just really ugly. (Sadly, it's not like that anymore. I upgraded, so the ugly sheet is gone. But that was the inspiration.) Also, you can't see the time from inside, and it does feel like another world. 
  17. Barbeque chips are probably my favourite, or at least one of them.
  18. Mulan is my favourite Disney movie, and also yours (which, as I've said, I didn't know that when I first wrote it!!!!!). It is also a reference to one of your fics, I Think You're Good For Me
  19. Chanyeol not having told anyone about being gay was a shoutout to SLS Kyungsoo. "I'm glad you told me" - the same reaction both Baek in this and Minseok in SLS gave. (Unlike Seok, though, Baek doesn't keep it a secret from anyone.)
  20. I actually did apply to your university (surprise!) but only because I had to apply to three and only had two I actually was considering, so I figured, why not? I was also accepted to your uni, but I'm not going, don't worry, you're not being stalked.
  21. My family is pretty darn cool about the whole gay thing. I'm panual, my sister was born a guy... There's still a bit of homophobia because society engrains it as well as it can, but yeah. If I had a friend kicked out for being gay, they'd be welcome at my house.
  22. My family does have board games (or my mom's family) but we never really played them. I remember playing at both my grandparents places, thus the reference there.
  23. Jongin loving shopping with his mom = heavy reference to my best friend, who also loves grocery shopping with her mom (no idea why).
  24. The old church Chanyeol mentioned is a reference to the church I used to go to, which was pretty boring (though, in it's defence, I was young and didn't understand and didn't care about any of it). Baekhyun's church is my English church, which is extremely hella (excuse my irony; it's a really awesome church). Baekhyun singing up on stage was sort of inspired by my sister, who is one of the singers at my church.
  25. I never actually stated it, but it was kind of implied that Minseok's bestie was Luhan.
  26. Chanyeol's jealousy over Baekhyun's flirtatiousness is me in all aspects of love. I'm always the most painfully jealous person (like ugh, kill me). Also, I get jealous seeing you talking to other people, or when you admire other people, or when other people exist that aren't me. (I'm not even a person; I am just pure jealousy in human form.)
  27. Baekhyun's dating in general is also a slight (unintentional; many of my references are unintentional) reference to your Don't Wake Me Up.
  28. I know everyone always writes Chanyeol to have a guitar, but I too have a guitar, so it refers to me as much to him that he plays guitar.
  29. I don't play video games that much?? But I do play GTA when I can and Mario Kart is my favourite video game ever, so yeah. References thrown in there.
  30. Baekhyun leaving in the face of awkward discomfort because of the whole Chanyeol-finding-out-about-his-guy-date thing is very much like Baekhyun leaving in your Accidentally
  31. This isn't really a reference, I guess, but Baekhyun's first date with a guy, that date back in January - his date (in my imagination) was BAP's Daehyun (because Hyun family ftw~~). Also, I don't really know why I chose Jinki but he was just kind of perfect for the part (and unlike Chanyeol, I would date him and love it because he is so precious ugh).
  32. I seem to use Shinee members as rebounds?? I don't mean to, but it happens. In Miscalc it was Key for Kyungsoo; now this is Onew for Yeol. I dunno what is wrong with me. (I love you Shinee I swear <3)
  33. The fact that Baek couldn't sleep with his Valentine's date was alluding to Don't Wake Me Up.
  34. When Baekhyun confesses and Chanyeol says he's not going to get over him any time soon, Baekhyun looks like he's about to start crying again, so Chanyeol sort of changes the subject. This is based on the roses scene in your I'll Never Let You Go.
  35. The last line is of course in reference to us being married~
  36. Somehow, my whole style of writing reminds me of yours. I guess since I had you in mind, I was writing in your mindset/style.

I'm sure there's other references but I can't find any right now.