A letter to my wife

Sanctuary

IF YOU READ THIS BEFORE THE FIC YOU WILL RUIN EVERYTHING IN YOUR LIFE BC THERE ARE MANY SPOILERS DON'T READ THIS BEFORE THE FIC OR I WILL CRY FOREVER.

 

To my dear wife,

First of all, happy birthday! ㅅ.ㅅ Are you happy to finally know what my big surprise was? I hope you’re not disappointed. I’m sorry it’s so long, but I really am incapable of keeping things short and I told myself it would be between ten and twenty thousand words, and I really only overshot by a bit so that’s good, but still… 미안해요. Anyway, I’ve been wanting to write you a fic for your birthday ever since I wrote you one for Christmas (and then you wrote me one for Valentines, so I guess we’re even now, right?). After your AFF dilemma, I finally got an idea for what it would be (on the twenty-fifth of May, apparently; I actually told you about it that day, but I was pretty vague). I wrote out a really short plot idea on my phone and then sort of forgot about it until July, and then I wrote the whole thing. As I was writing it, I told you about anticipating something coming your way, and a few minutes after I’d finished it, I gave you your first hint – twenty-one. From there it was one hint every five days; nine in total from forty-one day ago. I’m sure you’ve figured out most of those hints and their significance by now, but I’ll explain them all for you anyway.

Twenty-one – The fic is 21,250+ words; kind of explains itself
family – it’s an underlying theme and stuff; I was inspired for this fic by the scare you had with your family, so Yeol’s family was very homophobic (though I don’t know to what extent your family is; his is just extremely for the sake of the fic)
jealousy – I'm a jealous wife and, like Chanyeol, I am always jealous whenever you talk to anyone else ㅠ thus, Chanyeol was jealous of Baekhyun’s interactions and dates with others;
camp - They met at camp and we met at camp (sort of; we met through SLS and anyway yeah it was through that camp that you became my favourite author and wife);
Mulan – because it genuinely is my favourite (Disney) movie, and because you mentioned it in one of your Baekyeol fics (AND IT TURNS OUT ITS YOUR FAVOURITE DISNEY MOVIE BUT I SWEAR IT WAS ALREADY IN THE FIC BEFORE I EVER ASKED YOU ABOUT IT AND I FIND THAT KIND OF GREAT. I did have to add in that it was Baek’s favourite movie too, though); for these reasons, it was also the first movie they watched at Baekhyun’s house and on their date; (And! oddly enough, Mulan and Shang also meet at a camp? that's kind of weird~ I just realized now; If you wanna meet your soulmate, go to a camp)
acceptance – because I accept you for writing your gay fanfics even if your family wouldn't, and because Baek accepts Chanyeol for being gay and for just everything;
Sept 4 – Our anniversary of when we met (aka, when I started reading SLS); therefore in this universe, it is when Baekyeol meet uwu (also, I officially told you we were married on November 26th, if you remember; it really is just a coincidence that Yeol’s birthday was the next day)
Sanctuary – Their fort is their sanctuary; it is also based off of my own fort, which is almost exactly as described in the fic. When I made my fort, all I could think was how in the movie a Series of Unfortunate Events, the kids built this tent thing with whatever they could find and stayed in it, and could pretend their lives were okay at least for a little while. That’s how I feel in my fort. And Baekhyun’s fort was his sanctuary, and became Chanyeol’s too, so that’s why the fic is called that.
Baek to my Yeol – aka, you! – Because you are, and I've told so, and so this is full of references to you, me, and us (also our fics, though some of those weren't even intentional) uwu; other than Yeol’s homophobic family incident inspired by you, Yeol is me and Baek is you (though I promise I’m not in love with you~ I mean I am, of course, but… I didn’t write this because this is what I want us to be; there’s just lots of little things in reference to us)

So there you have it. This is your birthday present from me~

Anyway, enough about me, it’s your birthday. I hope your birthday really is great, and being nineteen is great (you can legally drink and stuff; I don’t know if you drink [I don’t] but if you do, now it’s legal!) and lots of fun stuff happens for you this year. I also hope you’ll continue to write lots of awesome stories because yours are really the only ones I read and I love them a lot. :o They are how we met, after all. It’s almost been a whole year since I first found SLS, which is crazy(!). I’m very, very happy I did, though, because it was amazing and you were amazing and you still are (and so is SLS) and I’m happy you are my wife because I feel like I have a special claim over you (ㅎㅎ) and I’m like guaranteed to have your attention if I desire it (which I always do). Also, as your wife, I get to do things like write you fics for every occasion, which not only is an excuse for me to write (as if I need one) but allows me an excuse to shower you with love (which I probably also don’t need, but at least for birthdays and holidays it’s a free pass for me to go all-out ㅅ.ㅅ).

So much for not making this about me. The point is! I love you a lot and you’re the best and have I mentioned I love you?

(My birthday is March 9th by the way, just so we don’t make any accidental dates then ;) ㅎㅎ)

(PS: This letter itself is a thousand words. 정말 미안합니다.)