002

When a Month Isn't Enough

-JONGDAE-

'Why didn't you tell me sooner?' he asked through the phone, already on the verge of breakdown because he doesn't know what he's so mad about.

'I'm just.. nothing. Thank you, Suho. Tell me if she needs anything, okay? You have to call me as soon as something comes up.'

'If you're still affected then why don't you go here and see her yourself?'

'You know I can't, Suho. I wouldn't know what to do.'

'Sometimes, Jongdae, you don't need to know. You just have to do it.'

There was a short pause because honestly, Jongdae's heart was beating in an abnormal pace and he's confused because he doesn't know why.

'I'll think about it, Suho. Thank you for calling.'

'Anytime, Jongdae.'

Jongdae sighed as he plopped down to his chair. He wasn't even aware that he's been pacing back and forth all the while that they were talking.

Thoughts, and even memories flooded through his mind as his grip on his phone tightened. He's not affected that much as before with every thought of Katherine, but he can't deny that there's still that familiar pinch in his heart whenever he hears her name or even thinks about her.

Now that Suho had infomed him that she's been released, his thoughts grow wilder as his mind tells him that he's married but his heart keeps on telling him to go and meet her.

He's biting his nail when his gaze fell down on a framed picture of him and Katrina, all dressed in floral outfits taken during their first year anniversary in Hawaii.

His furrowed brows turned back to their normal state as a small smile appeared on his lips. Katrina was smiling so bright while his left arm was around her shoulder and his lips were merely touching her right cheek. She had her peace sign on and the sight of it made Jongdae's heart flutter.

And then the doubt disappeared. He's not affected romantically by Katherine anymore, because right now, he's sure it's Katrina that's in his heart.


-KATHERINE-

She had her hair cut shorter now, ending just above her shoulders. The stylist that cut her hair told her that she was beautiful, and she thanked her, even though deep inside she wished she could still believe that she is.

Suho had given her (she swears he's an angel) enough money to buy corporate attires (and a phone at that) and some extra to have a nice makeover.

Being in jail hadn't given her the chance to make her feel good about herself. Now that she's out, she can't deny that it's so nice to be pampered once in a while.

She misses being spoiled by...

'Hello?' she answered, already drifting away from the earlier thought.

'Lunch? Are you sure? You're not busy or anything?'

'I'm not, Kat. So let's have lunch together. My treat. Meet me at my office in an hour, okay?'

'Okay then. Thanks, Suho.'


Katrina's flight had been cancelled for another two days which was not at all pleasing news for Jongdae. He'd been sleeping alone in his bed, cuddling with her pillow that he's thankful for because it smells like her hair.

Every night Katrina would call and tell him how excited she was to see him and then he receives a call this morning (immediately after he's done talking to Suho) saying that she won't be able to make it back home in another two days.

The thought bothered him so much because for the three years that he's been married to Katrina, there wasn't a time that they'd been away from each other for more than a week.

He stands up from the bed and makes his way down the kitchen to make his own breakfast.

The phone in their living room rang, and he answered after getting a glass of water.

'Hello?'

'Is this Mr. Kim?'

'Yes, speaking.'

'It's about the house you're wanting to sell. There's a couple interested in your offer.'

He momentarily stopped in his tracks. The little house that he and Katherine used to live in has a potential buyer now. And though it's been around a year that he's been finding a buyer for it, he doesn't know why he suddenly feels disappointed.

He should be happy, right? Finally, he'd be able to let go of the last thing that they've shared. That is a good thing, right?

Except no matter how hard he tried to convince himself, he knew that selling that house was already like selling away every memory with Katherine.

That time when she baked him a cake for their monthsary, that time when they almost made love, and even that time when he'd wake up to a sleeping Katherine next to him and he'd spend an hour looking at her face...

Those will all be gone by a few signatures and a handshake.

Was he really ready to let all of that go?

Somehow it hurts him; somehow it makes him feel guilty. She may have left him hanging but she had made him the happiest when they were together. She may have forgotten him but every one of her smiles will still remain in his heart.

She may not love him anymore after all these years but he...

'That's good news. When can I meet them?'


'Thanks for the lunch, Suho. I haven't eaten like that in forever,' she sighed happily. Suho's driving her around the city to show her what has changed in the years when she was inside her cell. She's thirty years old now and still, it amazes her how she hasn't known that there's a lot going on in the capital of the Philippines. Philippines might not be such a bad place to live in.

'What are you thinking about?' Suho asked her. She smiled as she looked out the window and was greeted by tall buildings and a lot of people bustling from one place to another. She suddenly missed the feeling of working.

'I'm thinking about how I'll get a job after everything that's happened,' she answered with a sigh. Sometimes it makes it hard to think of her future when there's something in the past that she clearly hasn't let go of yet.

'I told you, you can always work for me. Besides, it'll leave me at peace if I can monitor you every day. Jongdae would've preferred it too,' he said absentmindedly. Not long after an obvious silence only did he realize what he had said. Katherine had thrown her gaze out the window almost immediately and it made Suho want to him his head on the headboard. Sometimes he just couldn't control his mouth.

'I didn't mean anything by that, Kat. I'm sorry,' he said.

'It's fine,' she answered with a weak smile. Smiling was her only defense whenever she knew she couldn't handle something.

Suho remained silent for a while, sensing that she still had something to say.

'Jongdae and I are over, Suho. It's fine. Really.'

Her gaze was now lost outside and Suho couldn't help but feel sorry for her. It's always so easy to know when she's sad. Suho brings his gaze to the road, already feeling so much guilt that he's made her remember Jongdae when she probably just wanted to forget.

They both didn't realize that her eyes were already red from trying not to cry.


Jongdae's day started when he entered his first class at eight in the morning. Last night he had prepared his lesson on Philosophy in Logic and Philosophy in Ethics. The topic was somewhat a little uncomfortable with him since he's gone through not so good circumstances that made him do not so logical decisions and not so ethical acts. But nonetheless, he knew he needed to be professional with this matter since his emotions now were kind of mixed up. He didn't want his students to learn based on what he was feeling. He was there to teach facts, not things based on personal matters.

'Good morning, Mr. Kim,' the class greeted. He was handling second year college students and somehow he was thankful that they were already in the mature stage meaning he won't be having that much of a hard time to teach since he knew they would understand what he was saying.

Halfway through the lesson, he's come upon the topic of Science of Ethics.

'Now class, in every scientifc experiment, what do we usually do first?' he asked, looking through his students' eyes.

'Sir, we identify the problem,' one answered and he was pleased that they were participating.

'Good. Now in Ethics, we identify the problem: 'What is really the purpose of my life?' Does anyone of you know what your purpose in life is? Anyone?'

He called a boy that wasn't really that participative in class because he was kind of curious about what the boy would say.

'Sir I don't honestly know what my purpose in life is, but I think that whatever it is, it's meant to change me.'

Curious, Jongdae asked him, 'In what way do you think it would change you?'

The boy fell silent, and somehow it made Jongdae feel like the boy had something in mind that bothered him.

'Sir, I think it will change me because right now all I want to do is ditch school and play computer games all day, but when  I try to think of having a real purpose in life, it somehow scares me. Like it makes me question, if I still would want to play if I knew my purpose was to study, or would I still study Medicine if I knew my purpose was to become a teacher like you?'

The class fell silent and even Jongdae pondered on the thought: would I still do this if I'm meant to do that?

Another girl raised her hand as the boy took his seat.

'Yes, Ms. Park.'

'Sir, I believe that my purpose in life is to make the people I care about happy even if it meant sacrificing my own.'

As she took her seat, what she had said somehow reminded him of Katherine. She had been someone who was like that: thinking of others first before herself.

'Are you sure you want to have a purpose in life like that, Ms. Park?'

The girl, who was already seated, smiled and nodded her head.

'It's because the thought of not making the people I love happy makes me unhappy, sir. So I'm pretty sure that my purpose in life is to meet their happiness above mine.'

Jongdae smiled and answered an 'I see, that's good' before he went over the platform to grade their recitations.

'Sir, what is your purpose in life?' he heard someone ask. He's been used to interacting with his students like they're his children so it was normal for him to hear someone ask him back.

He smiled, 'Aside from teaching, my purpose in life is to make my wife happy and be the best father to my future kids,' he said, 'I want to become someone who's capable of giving happiness and love,' he added.

'Sir, is there any way that you would do what you think is your purpose but will end up unhappy?'

Jongdae paused. Was there any way you'd fulfill your purpose without being happy?


002 is up :)

Sorry for the late update :( Second year is killing meeee

Anw, here it is. I know it's still slow but I'm positive it'll improve. Btw I'm really so happy that some of you were still interested in reading this sequel. I hope you'll all be patient with me once again. :(

Thoughts are always welcomed.

So...

Stay tuned, yes? ♥