1.2 (Yi Jeong)

Fixing the Soul (Werewolf Prince)


Regrets. Everyone has them. Some people have many while other’s don’t. Even the smallest thing you do has an impact. Like a leaf falling into a still lake. The leaf is light delicate and when it hits the water it lands softly in the small pool ricocheting into small waves. No matter what you do any small action good or bad impacts people in so many different ways that it almost seems unrealistic. Had I known what future was set for the two of us I would have never allowed myself to go that far….

“Can you hurry up we’re going to be late” 
Groaning I tried to ignore the pounding outside my room door and simply covered my face with my pillow. I had stayed up all last night trying to finish an English report on Poe. We were given almost two weeks time but I could never do anything on time. My brother Il Hyun says I’m lazy I just call it having a life and friends.
“Yi Jeong!” He called out again groaning I sat up annoyed throwing my pillow at the door.
“Alright already I’m getting up!” I yelled. Moving the bed sheet away from me I sat up. I never really understood the point of going to school It wasn’t like we were actually going to do something after High School. The life of a Prince is hard. You have duties to your kingdom and the people in it. Normally a prince is home schooled; father however thought we should interact with our people. Not that I mind in fact I prefer it. 
“Yi Jeong you have five minutes or I’m telling our driver to leave without you!” Il Hyun yelled again.
“ Just go I‘ll run to school” I yelled in irritation. It wasn’t like we needed to be driven around. We were faster than cars in our wolf forms anyways. It was always the same with him. All of my friends are irritating as well. Of Course the most irritating of them all was Goo Jun Pyo.  He’s been crushing on Geum Jan Di since we were kids. I can remember watching them together when we were young. Thinking of Jan Di I couldn’t help but feel that irritation gnawing away at the pit of my stomach. Every time I think of Jan Di that little thing she calls a friend comes to mind. 
“Forget it I need to get ready for school” I mutter to myself before I turn on the shower.

    By the time I arrive to school I only have 5 minutes before the bell maybe less. I’m quick to go to my locker ignoring anyone that calls my name because I need to hurry. I need to see her. I don’t know why I feel the need to do it every single day. It’s become a habit of mine almost an addiction like smoking. It’s not healthy but I need to do it anyways to feel better; at ease. Once I’m at my locker I realize she hasn’t arrived yet and I begin to empty the contents of my backpack into the locker as slowly as I possibly can. I don’t want her to think I’m waiting for her.
“Hey man why are you in such a hurry” My friend Woo Bin says coming over to me and patting me on the back.
“Masters is giving us an English test today on Poe and our papers are due you know how she is. If you’re late you don’t get in to her class and I can’t afford another F if I want to graduate” I lie.
“Relax man. You’re the Alpha Wolf I don’t think graduation will matter. ”  Goo Jun Pyo adds..
“Tell that to our father he’s threatened to hang Parker by his tail if he doesn’t graduate. Something about not being responsible” I’ll Hyun says his green eyes glistening with mischief while Goo Jun Pyo himself laughs his booming laughter echoing out in the halls.
“I take it Jan Di hasn’t arrived yet” I say to Jun Pyo who glares.
“When are you going to ask her out man. It’s getting boring” Ji Hoo says to Jun Pyo.
“When he grows a pair.” I mutter causing Woo Bin to laugh and Jun Pyo to glare.
“It’s complicated you know there are rules to this and although some of us don’t follow them as a council members son I have to” Jun Pyo said. Although I hated to admit it he was right.

    In our world there were rules for us. Super Novas were not allowed to date anyone other than their mate. The bad of it all was the fact that you have to be 21 for the process to start. Some Novas like Woo Bin who happened to be a large black panther would sneak around with the females. If you were caught you would be penalized nothing major just a few added months to your wait to find your mate. It wasn’t unheard of for Super Novas to go out of their way and date a few females. Other than the fact of being able to transform into enormous animals we’re all still regular teenager. Just like all teenagers we all have urges. 

“Rules are made to break you know.” I tell Jun Pyo who shakes his head.
“And what will you tell your soul mate when she finds out you’ve been unfaithful to her with at least 5 women” Ill Hyun adds while Jun Pyo and Ji Hoo both nod agreeing. Both of them were so full of it.
“She’ll understand” I say shrugging.
“Father won’t” I’ll Hyun adds.

*Bump, ba-bump, ba-bump, ba-bump, ba-bump*
I can feel it. Without even looking I already know she’s here simply because that feeling is gnawing at me again.
*Bump, ba-bump, ba-bump, ba-bump, ba-bump*
I try not to move and my hands begin to sweat. The urge to readjust my suit jacket comes and I simply stuff my hands in my pockets to stop myself. 

*Bump, ba-bump, ba-bump, ba-bump, ba-bump*
I’m no longer hearing anything being said by any of them because all I can think about it that gnawing feeling inside that keeps getting bigger. 

*Bump, ba-bump, ba-bump, ba-bump, ba-bump*
    There she was again. She was the quietest and smartest girl in school. Why did he pick on her? Maybe it was because he could. After all he was older. Maybe it was because everyone in town knew who his family was. Nova royalty. He watched her walk down the hallway her head down like always Jan Di glaring at anyone who dared speak a word to the fragile little girl next to her. Jan Di’s eyes fierce looking as if she was shooting lightning out of her brown eyes. Yi Jeong understood why Jan Di was so overprotective though he couldn’t stop himself from bothering her anyways.

     Her locker is next to mine. I always wait for her to come. Why? I like bothering her getting under her skin. Maybe it’s because she never reacts. It doesn’t seem to faze her. She never cries like I hope a fragile little girl like her will. Instead she makes me feel invisible unheard; because of it  I feel the need to say things to her to see if it’ll one day reach her ears. It’s childish I know; but I’ve never liked being ignored by anyone even if it is just her. I don’t  know her name and I don’t need to. I just knows her as Jan Di’s little friend. What I do know is that I like to talk to her even if she can’t hear it. I always try to see a tear fall. Hoping to get a reaction. Maybe it’s fascination that I feel or something else I’m not sure. The only thing I do know is that I need it. Whatever it is. Whatever she is I need it.

“You know it’s not Halloween yet. Or are you late for the graveyard shift?” I ask her. Still she does nothing and continues what she’s doing. The people around us laugh and yet she doesn’t say anything. There’s no reaction on her face that I can see either, simply because her chocolate brown hair is covering her face. I know I shouldn’t I know it’s not right. Part of mind always screams at me to stop while the other part eggs me on to go further. 
“Why do you come here?” I ask her and for the first time I see her react. If only for a second her posture goes rigid. Still it’s quick to fade and she continues to ignore me taking a few books out from her locker.
Why do you come here?” I ask again but she ignores me and tries to walk away.

*Bump, ba-bump, ba-bump, ba-bump, ba-bump*
Somehow I can’t stop myself from speaking anymore the voice in my head telling me to stop has already faded in the back overpowered by the need to get a reaction of any kind.
“Everyone at this school hates you” I tell her and her posture goes rigid her back facing me. 
“You show up every single day. Why? Your just a joke.” I tell her I have the urge to turn her around and see her reaction but just as my hand reaches out to her right shoulder Il Hyun speaks.
“Yi Jeong leave her alone” Il Hyun says his eyes angry but I can’t help what comes out next.
“Do us all a favor and disappear. The world would be a lot better if people like you weren’t in it” I tell her my mind suddenly turning off unsure if those words had come out of my mouth. 
“You son of a !”
Before I have time to react Jan Di  is already standing in front of me her eyes ice cold with fury.
*Smack*
Though I realize it should hurt to be slapped somehow I can’t feel it. All I can do is look at the girl with her back to me. She’s standing there quietly without a word though everyone else is now whispering around her. I realize she must not be aware of it either.
“You guys are a bunch of jerks. Just leave her alone! She’s not bothering anyone.” Jan Di says her eyes turning to Jun Pyo for a brief second furious at him as well before she takes her friend by the hand dragging her away from everyone’s view.
“Dude” Woo Bin says though he is no longer smiling and there’s a look of disbelief in his eyes before he shakes his head and walks away.
“What?” I manage to say to Jun Pyo who’s glaring at me. Running a hand though his curly hair he sighs in frustration and doesn’t say anything to me before walking away.

Had I known what would happen to her maybe I would have never said anything. I would have apologized to her and tried to make things better. Unfortunately things never work out the way we plan them to…

    How long has it been since I last saw her? One month?…Maybe two? Everyone at school thinks she ran away. That makes me feel bad. Other people think she actually killed herself and it’s only a matter of time before someone finds her body. That brings chills to my entire body and I find myself unable to breathe when I think about it. 
“Hey Yi Jeong” Woo Bin calls out snapping me out of my thoughts. Closing my locker I simply turn to him.
“What’s up” 
“You coming down to Devils Creek with us? There’s going to be girls” Woo Bin says. 
“I think I’ll just hang out at my place” I tell him shrugging.
“Come on man it’ll be fun. I have this girl for you her name is Grace or something.” Woo Bin says.
“No thanks man” I  tell him.
“Come on. I told her friend I’d hook her up with you. Do me a solid” Woo Bin says and I sigh and nod feeling irritated. Still Woo BIn simply smiles pats me on the back and walks away. I make my way out of school and to the parking lot where Jun Pyo is waiting and so is Ill Hyun with our driver Neil. I can tell Jun Pyo’s angry at me because he looks like he’s spouting smoke from his ears. 
“What now?” I ask irritated.
“Thanks to you Jan Di is pissed at me again” Jun Pyo says 
“What did I do?” I asked 
“You mean other than insult her best friend” Jun Pyo says to me.
“Aside from that” I said to him.
“They took away Ga Eul’s scholarship. Because she’s missed so many classes and her grades dramatically dropped she’s been expelled from school and now Jan Di is blaming me for not stopping you again” Jun Pyo said irritated before walking away. Turning to Il Hyun he simply shakes his head and gets in the car leaving me to wallow in my misery.

Maybe I deserved what happened next as a lesson but she didn’t deserve this. No one does…

Devils creek. What was so special about it. Only us Super Novas could ever go down it. It’s almost like going down a large mountain with unsteady rocks. Impossible to scale for a human. You have to be fast and you have to be agile. The creak is a dump filled with trash but everyone goes down there to get drunk and hook up with girls. Most of the time the Novas let the girls climb on their back in their animal form so they can get them down there.
“Where the hell where you?” Woo Bin asks handing me a drink once I’ve shifted back into my human form and changed behind some bushes.
“Sorry. Overslept” I lied. The truth was I didn’t want to come and had spent the past 3 hours staring at my ceiling thinking about what Jun Pyo had said.
“Do you have any idea how hard it was to carry two girls on my back while trying to avoid falling boulders on my head” Woo Bin asked.
“Anyways” Woo Bin continued while we walked over to some girls. One was blonde and was wearing a small little red dress. The other one was a red head with cat like eyes and emerald green dress. She gave me a soft smile as her friend nudged her over to my direction.
“Hi I’m Grace” She said smiling extending her hand out to me.
“Yi Jeong” I tell her and she simply blushes nodding her head at me.
“Why don’t you guys take a walk” Woo Bin suggested. Taking the hint I nodded and turned to the girl.
“Let’s take a walk” I told her and she was quick to follow me. The silence around us thick and uncomfortable.
“I’m sorry I really didn’t want to be here” She confessed to me.
“Neither did I” 
“So we were both dragged here by our friends” Grace said smiling.
“I really don’t get the appeal of this place. There’s something about it that gives me the chills” She added shaking her head.
“It’s just a hang out” I told her shrugging. 
“There’s nothing here but trash” Grace added while they walked along the edges of the creek. 
“It would be a good place to hang out if it wasn’t so dirty” I added. The truth was the creek at one point had been clean and some would say beautiful. Now there was nothing but trash floating in the water. Cups of beer, beer bottles, tires, everything and anything that you could think of. The water was murky black and if there ever was any fish they were long gone. 
“I can’t believe people come here for. Oh My god! What’s that?” Grace asked pointing to something hidden by a pile of old bags floating around it. 

*Bump, ba-bump, ba-bump, ba-bump, ba-bump*

Approaching it cautiously I froze. All I could see was someone’s foot. It was covered in blood and their skin was blue. Bruises and cuts surrounded the leg.
“Go call someone” I managed to say to Grace who nodded running of in Woo Bin and her blonde friends direction. The smell was disgusting. It smelled of decaying flesh and it was hard to breathe. My chest tightened and I felt that same sensation of not being able to breathe. The persons hand was sticking out  and there was clear bruising around it. The hand stuck out at an odd angle and there was dry blood. It was only then that I realized that this person had deep gashes across the wrist. Across the arm there was a single word carved into the flesh. UNWORTHY. 

    I couldn’t breathe. My own mind flashing to her. Ga Eul. My mind begging that this wasn’t her. That I hadn’t caused this. There was a bag on her head that was covering her face. She had brown hair her clothes were the same as the last day I saw her. That ugly green turtle neck sweater and those cut up old jeans. Reaching for the bag with shaky hands I moved it away carefully. 
“No…..Ga Eul”
“Yi Jeong!” Woo Bin yelled while I backed away from the body unable to take it, My mind screaming, my heart thumping wildly and my stomach plummeting a hundred times. 
“It’s her”