The Goddess of War p1

The Goddess of War

*Spat

 

The stinging pain in the head accompanied by a blurry vision. All that she can distinguish is a puddle of red and the taste of iron in . Her knees were down and weak, shaking. Her hands were the only thing that keeps the space between her body and the floor in front of her. 

 

She looked up and saw shadowy figures towering over her with bright lights above them. She bowed her head down involuntarily due to the blinding light hurting her eyes. She shakes her head to regain her composure.

 

“Taeyeon! Watch out!” She heard someone yell behind her.

 

Taeyeon looks back up and sees two people moving towards her very fast. Before her eyes can finally manage to make the two images combine into one, she felt another impact on her head as her body dropped down on the floor.

 

Her hands were too weak to brace that another attack. Her head was already in so much pain that she didn’t even know where she got hit. It was numbed by pain.

 

This time her vision was dark, it wasn’t blurry anymore. The sound around her were silently echoing, like she was enclosed inside a glass and people outside were shouting at her.

 

“Taeyeon! $%@!” She can only understand her name.

 

“Taeyeon! Get up!” It was a bit audible now.

 

“Arms up! Arms up!” It was the same voice shouting at her.

 

*Ding ding ding ding

 

The familiar sound of the bell. The sound can sometimes be ruthless or a blessing. This time, it was a blessing.

 

She felt hands grab her sides and was guiding her to stand up and sit on a chair.

 

“Oh my god Taeng…” She heard the person exhale in fright before she feels stinging cold around her face especially on her nose.

 

After a few more of those stinging cold sensation, she felt better though. She opened her eyes and her vision was a little bit back to normal.

 

“That *****…” Taeyeon muttered. “She’s a sly *****, Yuri!” she growled as she looked straight to the person sitting on the opposite side of her. “She bit me!” she growled again and bent her head sideways.

 

“That son of a *****!” Yuri cursed as she looked at the revealed deep bite mark on Taeyeon’s neck, trying to see what she can do to stop the bleeding.

 

“Yeah, like a real ***** indeed.” Taeyeon said as she winced at whatever Yuri was doing to clean the damage.

 

*Ding

 

“Listen Taeng, don’t make contact with her again.” Yuri whispered on Taeyeon’s ears.

 

“No need to tell me, I’m not getting close to that dog.” Taeyeon scoffed.

 

“I know,” Yuri chuckled and continued whispering her plan, “Keep your space. She’ll definitely aim for your nose again. You did a good damage on her left arm so she’ll most likely throw a 1-1-3-2 when given the chance. She’ll break you with her two right hard jabs and follow up with a left only to pivot that finishing right cross.”

 

Taeyeon only nodded knowing that there’s more.

 

The referee walked in the middle of the ring and gestured for both fighters to stand up.

 

Yuri continued as she helped Taeyeon stand up, “You stop her left hook. Look for that left. Anticipate it.”

 

Taeyeon nodded as she shook and bounced her body, getting ready.

 

Yuri tapped Taeyeon’s shoulder and gave her last advice, “Your arms are in better condition. Use them to drag this fight out until that opportunity.” She tapped her one last before lightly pushing her to the middle of the ring.

 

Taeyeon clenched her fist as she walked in the middle. Her eyes are focused to the other person.

 

You’re going down *****. Taeyeon cursed at the opposite person as her anger drove the adrenaline in her body. She noticed the enemy gave a sly smirk and Taeyeon returned the same.

 

“This is the third and FINAL ROUND!!” The referee shouted across the arena.

 

“Five minutes, Taeng! Just five more minutes!” Yuri shouted after she exited the ring.

 

Shouts, cheers, whistles, and cracking noises were echoing in this dark pit. Only the sounds of men can be heard. It was, after all, a game they created for their own amusement. Two girls battling it out without any rules. With only the bell to start and stop them.

 

“Who will bring it down!? Will it be the challenger Taeyeon or the defending champion… THE LILITH!!” The referee yelled.

 

More shouts were made after the name of the defending champion. Taeyeon spat in disgust as The Lilith raised her arm up taunting at the figures of men on the upper floors of the pit. It was all darkness outside the ring, with only one spotlight thrown at the center for the fighters.

 

Taeyeon however noticed The Lilith tried to raise her left arm as well but decided not to at the last second.

 

Yuri was right. Taeyeon said to herself with a small smile.

 

*Ding

 

The bell sounded again signaling both to start as malicious shouts and curses began to pollute the air.

 

Taeyeon kept her distance and moved around the ring. All her thoughts were in the fight plan which was to draw out the fight until that opportunity Yuri talked about.

 

Taeyeon used her advantage that Yuri pointed out, her arms are in better condition and she will get the upper hand if she traded blows and blocks. Taeyeon realized this immediately and started throwing jabs to keep the distance between them.

 

After a minute, she noticed the impatience of her opponent. Not yet Taeyeon, not yet. She said to herself, still focused on the opposite’s body movements. The counter attack is a one-time thing. If she missed the timing, she will be open for a full right cross punch. Taeyeon knows well enough not to mess with the right hand of her opponent.

 

Another minute passed of trading strikes, Taeyeon was surprised that The Lilith started throwing more aggressive punches. Her right jabs were hitting really hard even if she is able to block them. 

 

Damn, I can’t get hit by this. Taeyeon was distracted by her thought as a left kick from the opponent came flying to her body. She was not able to block in time as she was reserving her right arm for the left hook that she was waiting for.

 

Cheers erupted the place again.

 

Taeyeon staggered backwards as her opponent followed up with a right kick that she barely blocked with her left arm. Taeyeon was still falling backwards due to the last contact, trying her best to balance and stand up straight immediately.

 

Before Taeyeon can fully steady herself, a strong follow up right jab was thrown by the opponent. Taeyeon’s left arm was still down to block it so she opted to move her head sideways, minimizing the damage to half.

 

She was still recovering from the damage done to her left cheek as another right jab was coming towards her face. She was able to block it with her left arm, however the impact was so strong that her arm and head was pushed back. Her vision was obstructed by her arm in front of her eyes.

 

Taeyeon thought quickly, Is this it? Is this the combination Yuri was talking about? It will be a gamble if I will blindly raise my right arm to block the left hook that I can’t even see if it’s indeed coming.

 

Throwing the risks aside, Taeyeon trusted the plan. If it fails, she will be completely open for an attack. An attack that she can’t take another one of.

 

Well, here goes! Taeyeon braved herself as she blindly rises up her right arm to block.

 

An impact.

 

Taeyeon’s eyes lit up at the impact on her right arm. By reflex, she s her right arm around her opponent’s left arm and locked it. The Lilith’s body twitched back due to the lock.

 

Taeyeon didn’t waste any second as she quickly leapt in the air while raising her left elbow up, and also keeping the arm lock secure. Her body faced the enemy’s locked arm, her elbow aimed at the exposed elbow of the opponent.

 

Crack!

 

Taeyeon smashed down her elbow at the opponent’s as she felt a full hit. She heard a cracking sound and knows that she was able to break The Lilith’s elbow.

 

Her opponent staggered backwards before falling down on her knees while screaming in pain.

 

A smile crept on Taeyeon’s face as she thought of her revenge. She ran towards her opponent and lunge her right knee on The Lilith’s head, making sure that she also breaks her nose.

 

Now we’re even. Taeyeon made the last sly smile.

 

After the knee attack, her opponent fell down the floor… knocked out.

 

Loud cheers and shouts rebounded from the dark walls.

 

Taeyeon was standing still, catching her breath, and calming her adrenal-filled heart and body.

The referee didn’t even need to do a countdown on the fallen body. He walked towards Taeyeon, grabbed her left hand and lifted them up.

 

Deafening roars and applause reverberated throughout the pit again.

 

“The winner and THE NEW CHAMPION OF THE UNDERGROUND!!” The referee shouted and continued, “Defeating every single well-established fighter in the Underground… Our new champion… THE GODDESS OF WAR!! TAEYEON!!” The referee dropped her hand as he moved to the sides while pointing out both of his hands to Taeyeon, giving her the spotlight.

 

Goddess of war, huh? Taeyeon chuckled inside at her new glorified nickname.

 

Yuri was grinning wide and ran beside Taeyeon and hugged her sides. Taeyeon looked at Yuri and smiled.

 

For Taeyeon, it didn’t matter that her nose was broken. It didn’t matter that she got bruises all over her body and face. It didn’t matter that she had a bleeding neck. What only mattered was that it was finished, that she will get her paycheck, and that she can go home. Go home to her.

 

-----

 

Taeyeon opened the door and entered as she was greeted by an eye-smiling girl that was already running towards and pouncing on her.

 

Taeyeon stumbled a little and hugged the girl as she smiled. She moved her head back and looked at her, “Why are you still awake, Fany-ah? Didn’t I tell you to not wait for me because my fight is scheduled very late? You should be resting.” She said in a serious but worried voice.

 

Tiffany pouted before worry flashed across her face, “What happened to your nose… and to your neck…” She said as she cupped both of her hands on Taeyeon’s face.

 

Taeyeon closed her eyes at the soft and warm hands touching her face that she missed so much. She inhaled once and suddenly hugged Tiffany again.

 

“I missed you… I missed you so much.” Taeyeon whispered on Tiffany’s ear.

 

Tiffany was shocked by the impulsive action for a second but also smiled. “I missed you too.” She said as she hugged Taeyeon back tightly.

 

They stood there in silence as both savor the other’s heat and scent that they have been longing for everyday. 

 

“Why didn’t you visit for two weeks?” Tiffany said while keeping the hug.

 

Taeyeon chuckled under Tiffany’s neck. “Blame Yul, let’s beat her up next time for not making me see you during training.”

 

Taeyeon broke the hug and kissed Tiffany’s forehead.

 

Tiffany blushed and smiled at Taeyeon before she teasingly kissed Taeyeon’s nose.

 

“Yah!” Taeyeon pouted.

 

Tiffany giggled as she held both of Taeyeon’s hands and pulled her over to sit on the bed.

 

Tiffany faced Taeyeon with a serious expression. “Taeyeon, when are you going to stop doing this? I don’t want to see you getting hurt!”

 

Taeyeon saw the sincere hurt in Tiffany’s eyes and sighed. “I can’t stop now Fany-ah. I am currently the champion. The paychecks are doubled than before. We can get you treated quickly and get out of this place.”  She motioned her head gesturing around the room. “We will move out from this city and will live peacefully in the countryside… Just us, together…” She answered as she squeezed Tiffany’s hands at the last phrase.

 

Tiffany smiled at Taeyeon’s plan. It was the first time she heard Taeyeon say what she wanted to do after all of this is done. But her smile faded and said, “I don’t care about me, what is the point of getting treated if you are getting yourself injured like that?” She stared at Taeyeon deeply and continued, “Do you know how much it pains me to see you like this? Do you know how much my heart is breaking every time you will come here and tell me that you have a fight?... Taeyeon, I would rather not get treated than you continuing this.” She sighed and her breathing was fast.

 

“Fany, not this again. You know this is the only thing I am good at. My education is poor, I can’t find any other good paying jobs and—“

 

Tiffany cut her off, “You don’t need to find a good paying job. A safe and simple job is okay and—“

 

Taeyeon now cut her off, her voice a bit louder, “But that will not be enough! It will never be enough for the bills!”

 

Tiffany rebutted, her voice also getting louder, “Then you don’t need to pay for my treatment bills!”

 

Taeyeon sensed a quarrel and she also noticed the hurt in Tiffany’s eyes. She tried to calm down and softly said, “I didn’t mean it that way. But—“

 

Tiffany’s volume didn’t change and cut Taeyeon off again, “I would rather die than see you get hurt! Can’t you understand that!?” Tiffany cracked at the end and tears started to trickle down her eyes.

 

Tiffany didn’t know that she can cry more that day. She was already crying and worriedly sick all night knowing that Taeyeon was in a fight.

 

Taeyeon saw the pain in the broken down girl’s eyes. “I’m sorry.” She hugged her. “I’m sorry. Don’t cry Fany. Please don’t say things like that again? You can make this... We can make this...” Taeyeon said as she tried to calm the sobbing girl.

 

Both lay down the bed and drifted to sleep while hugging each other. Taeyeon’s body was tired. Tiffany’s mind was tired.

 

It was already past midnight. Taeyeon went straight to the hospital to see Tiffany. Even though it was advised by the doctor that Tiffany should be sleeping early and getting plenty of rest, she waited for Taeyeon. She always waits for Taeyeon every time she has a fight. She also waits for Taeyeon everyday for something else.

 

 

-----

 

Taeyeon and Tiffany enjoyed the days together of Taeyeon’s two-week break. They were playing games and teasing each other when the door opened.

 

Yuri entered the room with flowers and fruits in her hands. She noticed the two stopped whatever they were doing and looked at her. She sighed inside fully knowing the reason at the sudden change of their expression.

 

“Nice room you got here.” She said to break the silence as she walked to the center table and placed the things she brought. “Way bigger than before.” she said as she looked around the bigger room.

 

Yuri looked at the other two and there was still this awkward silence. Trying to break it again, she tried to sound funny now, “Did you know that I entered the wrong room?” She chuckled. “I went to your old room and just barged in when everyone had their eyes on me.” She tried to laugh at her encounter earlier. “You should’ve told me you changed rooms, saves me the embarrassment of looking like a fool.” Yuri said, still trying to make the atmosphere lighter.

 

At least the two other girls smiled at the embarrassment their friend experienced. Yuri smiled along with her.

 

“How are you Fany?” She approached Fany in the couch and both hugged each other.

 

Tiffany just nodded. “Thanks Yuri.” she said as she looked at the flowers and fruits.

 

Yuri smiled but sighed after. The two girls know why she was here. To get things over with, she faced Taeyeon who was sitting beside Tiffany and began, “Taeyeon, I need to talk to you for a minute.”

 

Taeyeon and Tiffany set out a sigh.

 

“You can say it in front of me, right now, you know?” Tiffany scoffed.

 

Taeyeon and Yuri looked at Tiffany. Yuri looked back at Taeyeon and saw the latter nodding once.

 

Yuri gave out a sigh and said, “Okay, Taeyeon you have a scheduled fight next month.” Yuri noticed Tiffany bowed down after looking dejected. Yuri bit her lower lip and continued, “Well, you are still in pretty good shape so we can start training next week.”

 

Tiffany’s face lightened up as she looked up at Yuri. Taeyeon’s reaction was the same. Yuri chuckled at the synchronized reaction by the two.

 

“But as always, no visits during the training.” Yuri added.

 

Taeyeon questioned in confusion, “Three whole weeks? It was usually just for the last two weeks.” 

 

 “We need you to be ready Taeng. This is for your own safety too.” Yuri reasoned. “Your fights will never be like as before. The caliber of the challengers will always be at least the same as the previous opponent. They are all going be championship contenders. You almost had it last time too.”

 

Taeyeon sighed in defeat. She understood well Yuri’s explanation and reason. She looked at Tiffany who now stood up and walked towards the bathroom.

 

The unmoved girls can only sigh as they watch Tiffany enter the bathroom. Knowing well she won’t be coming out anytime soon.

 

-----

 

 

“Last round Taeng. Last round.” Yuri said as she was fixing the bleeding cut in Taeyeon’s eyes. “She’s drained. That was a nice kick on her left leg. Keep doing that. Harass that thigh to keep her balance off.”

 

Taeyeon was breathing heavily as she absorbs the advices from Yuri. She was back in the same dark pit with men chanting malicious words.

 

“My left fist Yuri.” Taeyeon murmured as she held her bloody and swelling knuckles up for Yuri to see. Yuri winced at the broken knuckles.

 

“Just go leg work Taeng.”

 

“Won’t she notice?”

 

“She will but there’s nothing we can do about it. Jab, jab, and low kick to threaten her left leg. If she charges in, I trust your left elbow is still good?”

 

Taeyeon nodded.

 

“Good. But keep your distance. We want her to wear her legs out.”

 

*Ding

 

Taeyeon got up and readied herself for the final round.

 

-----

 

“I’ll see you outside Taeng. I’ll get the car.” Yuri said as she disappeared from the dim shower room. “And good win.” She added with a smile.

 

Taeyeon nods as she undresses to hit the shower and remove any trace of blood and sweat from her body. She was excited to be able to finally see Tiffany again after three long weeks. It was the longest she didn’t see the girl.

 

After freshening up, she walked back to the locker room to get dressed but she was surprised to see three men in formal suit standing in front of her locker.

 

Taeyeon knows that they are from the upper floors of the pit. The upper floors are where the rich and sponsors gather to watch the fights. They are the people who keep the existence of this underground fighting.

 

She glared at them. “What do you want?”

 

The man in the center walked a step closer to her and spoke.

 

-----

 

“What took you so long?” Yuri asked when Taeyeon got in the car.

 

“Nothing.” Taeyeon answered lifelessly.

 

Yuri sighed and just drove to the hospital. It was always their destination after every fight.

 

Taeyeon was looking outside the window, many things occupying her mind. She just wanted to see Tiffany and forget all of this. She lives in a chaotic world and only Tiffany brings her peace. Tiffany is the most important in her life, more than anybody else… more than herself.

 

-----

 

Taeyeon entered Tiffany’s room with a smile, expecting to see the girl looking at the door and be greeted with an eye-smile. Even though she keeps on saying that Tiffany does not need to wait for her, her heart always jumps whenever she comes home and Tiffany is there to greet her.

 

However, this was not the case tonight. Tiffany was not sitting on the couch directly in front of the door. It has always been like this, so Taeyeon furrowed her eyebrows and entered the room to check the bed if the girl was sleeping.

 

The bed was empty. Panic started to ran through her heart. She dropped the bags she was carrying.

 

“Tiffany!?” Taeyeon called out. She ran towards the bathroom and opened the door immediately. It was dark and silent. She opened the lights, but sees no sign of anyone there.

 

She turned around and looked around the room. Where is she!? Taeyeon is panicking right now. She left the room and rushed through the nurse’s station.

 

“Nurse! Where is Tiffany Hwang of room 1727!?” She asked with urgency in her voice.

 

The nurse was startled and before the nurse can answer back.

 

“She’s in the Critical Care Unit.” Another woman’s voice said behind her.

 

Taeyeon turned at the direction of the voice.

 

“Doctor Choi!” Taeyeon was shocked and confused as to why Tiffany was there. “Why is she there!?” Her panic is still there even after knowing that Tiffany is still in the hospital. But fear also took over as she cannot understand why Tiffany is in ICU.

 

“She fainted six hours ago.” Sooyoung answered.

 

Taeyeon was still confused as she grabbed the doctor’s blazer sleeves with both hands. “Why!? I have been paying all the medical bills and getting all the necessary treatment! She’s supposed to be getting better, right!? But why is she there!? Do you need more!? I have brought more money here!” Taeyeon yelled as she was about to turn around and get the money in her bag.

 

Sooyoung stopped Taeyeon and pulled her shoulders to face her, “Taeyeon, wait. It’s not about the money. We have all the best and doing the best for her.”

 

“Then why in the hell is she there!?” Taeyeon shouted. Her shout echoed the silent hall of the ward.

 

“Calm down Taeng.”

 

“Calm down!? You expect me to calm down!? You know how important she is to me!” Taeyeon growled back.

 

“I know! So will you just listen to me first!?” Sooyoung’s voice rose up as well and dropped her hands form Taeyeon’s shoulders. “Let’s get inside first.” Sooyoung motioned Taeyeon to get inside Tiffany’s room as she noticed that the nurses and some patient visitors were looking at them.

 

As soon as Sooyoung closed the door behind them, she started speaking up. “She’s breaking down from the inside Taeng.”

 

Taeyeon furrowed her eyebrows at that statement.

 

Sooyoung continued,”We are giving her the best of everything. Sometimes her body responds, sometimes it does not.” She saw Taeyeon open but quickly added to cut her off, “It’s because she is breaking down inside, emotionally.” She said, calmer this time. “Even if we give her all the best we have, it won’t help her if she is worried sick for you. She is stressed every time you are about to fight. She is weak during the days of not seeing you. More so, she always breaks down in the day of your fight. She’s crying all day… We can’t talk to her. She does not eat, does not want to receive treatment, and does not want to leave the room for tests. She turns into a lifeless body every time. We’re chasing our tails here, Taeng.”  Sooyoung ended with a sigh.

 

Taeyeon was trying to sink in all that Sooyoung just said. She didn’t know Tiffany was like that when they are not together. They talked through the phone during training breaks but Tiffany was all happy every time.

 

Taeyeon tried to blindly reason out, “But I just talked to her this afternoon and she was perfectly fine. She was worried, yes, but we ended the call on a good mood. I even told her I have bought her a new Totoro stuff toy and will give it to her tonight…” Taeyeon trailed off as she looked at the Totoro stuff toy lying on the floor, beside her bags.

 

“It’s just the outside Taeng. Yes, she is happy whenever she talks to you but after you end that call, she’s back to being lifeless.” Sooyoung said in a sad tone.

 

It now started to sink in to Taeyeon. She ran her fingers through her hair and groaned due to frustration. What am I gonna do?

 

She faced Sooyoung again. “What do I need to do? Tell me! What else do you need from me to make sure that Tiffany will be okay?” Taeyeon asked in a pleading voice.

 

“You know I am always honest with you Taeyeon.”

 

Taeyeon nods once, waiting for what the doctor has to say.

 

Sooyoung continued, “You need to stop fighting. It worries and stresses her too much. The treatment won’t be effective if she is stressed out. You know that.”

 

“But this is the only thing I can do. I can’t give her the best if I am not doing this.”

 

“But you are also endangering your life. I won’t even have to check and I know that your left hand is broken.” Sooyoung said it straight into Taeyeon’s eyes.

 

“Let’s cut the crap doctor. I will fight and that won’t change, it’s the only option right now to give her what she needs immediately. What I need you to tell me is, what is the best course of action for this? I thought you’ll be honest?”

 

Sooyoung sighed. “Okay. What happened earlier did not do any good for her. To tell you frankly, it worsen her condition.”

 

Taeyeon’s jaw drop and her heart were like pierced by a knife.

 

Sooyoung continued, “Here’s my suggestion, Taeyeon. And listen to me first.” She paused then added, “Stop fighting as soon as you can. This won’t end until you stop your fighting. With her now current condition, it will take us a while to get her back to normal. And you, continuously fighting won’t do any better. So I suggest we complete this treatment as fast as we could.”

 

Taeyeon was confused; she heard the doctor said that they were doing everything they can. Before she can speak up and ask, Sooyoung answered her question in mind.

 

“Right now, we can’t do it here in Korea. It will take a while to do so as we don’t have the top of the line technology, yet. However, we can fly her to Japan or to the US for this one-time treatment. I know the best doctors from there and I can endorse Tiffany.” Sooyoung suggested.

 

Taeyeon was trying to assess Sooyoung’s suggestion. But flying to Japan or to the US would mean more expenses. At her current pay rate, she needs to fight at least five more times. But fighting will just bring more consequences. She needs to end this, and fast.  

 

Taeyeon’s mind is in disarray. A lot of things were running in her mind again. She can’t think properly as she is just taking in the new problem they are facing. She wanted to open her skull and crush her brain due to the overload her head is getting. She just got out from the fight, and now this. It was too much for her right now.

 

“Can I see her?” Taeyeon calmly asked. She needed peace first. She needs to see Tiffany.

 

Sooyoung was surprised at the question but she notices something in Taeyeon’s eyes. It was deep, it was begging, and it was in chaos. Even though visiting the CCU is not allowed for Tiffany’s case, Sooyoung shrugged it off and just nodded, “Come.”

 

-----

 

Taeyeon was staring at the sleeping girl behind the glass window with all sorts of needles and tubes attached to her and were surrounded by beeping machines. Sooyoung had just left her to be alone for a while.

 

Taeyeon carefully entered the door and stood beside the slumbering Tiffany.

 

“Fany-ah, you’ve gotten so thin. Didn’t I tell you to eat well? You told me you were eating well. I’m gonna pinch your cheeks for lying. I’ll take you out to a nice dinner when you get out of there.” Taeyeon’s eyes were starting to get blurry.

 

Taeyeon leaned down as she held Tffany’s hand with both of her hands. 

 

“Fany-ah, I’m sorry I have caused you so much pain… I didn’t know. You’ve told me lots of times but I didn’t fully understand it was that much. I should’ve known. Stupid me, right? I’m sorry…” Tears starting to fall as she sobbed.

 

“Please wake up and get out of here? I’ll tell you something important when you wake up.” Taeyeon said as she stood up straight and wiped away her tears.

 

She inhaled, looked at Tiffany one last time before exiting the room.

 

-----

 

Taeyeon was walking at the garden outside the hospital. It was cold, but she didn’t care. She prefers it actually as it numbs her head and body a bit. She has been there for an hour trying to think things through. Yuri’s, Sooyoung’s, and Tiffany’s voice kept ringing in her head. She is feeling the guilt of not listening to them and now, Tiffany is in danger because of her.

 

Taeyeon closed her eyes and threw caution to the wind. She pulled out her phone from her jacket’s pocket then pulled out a card from her jean’s back pocket. She stared at the card’s number and punched them in on her phone.

 

Taeyeon placed the handset over her ear and it only rang once.

 

“Yes?” A man’s voice on the other line answered.

 

Taeyeon took a deep breath and said, “I’m in.”

 

“Good.”

 

Taeyeon waited for the man to continue.

 

“I’ll send you the details.” The man said and the phone was cut off.

 

Taeyeon furrowed her eyebrows and stared at her phone. After a few seconds, a message came in. She read the message and sighed. She crumpled the card in her hand and threw it aimlessly.

 

Taeyeon looked back at her phone and scrolled for Yuri’s contact before pressing the green call button.

 

It took around six rings before the person on the other line answered groggily, “Hello?”

 

“Yuri.” Taeyeon answered.

 

“Taeng, what’s the matter?” Yuri’s voice was now awake.

 

 “I need to talk to you about something.”

 

Yuri noticed the serious tone. “Where are you? I’m coming over.”

 

“Hospital.”

 

-----

 

“What!?” Yuri cried in worry. “How is she now?”

 

Taeyeon just told Yuri regarding Tiffany’s condition and also everything that Sooyoung had told her. They are still in the hospital garden.

 

“She’s still not awake.” Taeyeon looked down.

 

“Oh Taeng…” Yuri said in sympathy. “What are we going to do now? And I’m not gonna look for another fight. I’m turning down all challenges!” she finished off her sentence firmly.

 

Taeyeon knows that Yuri will say that. “I know. That’s why I got us a fight.”

 

“What!? What are you talking about? All your Underground fights go through me first.”

 

“But this is not an Underground fight.”

 

Yuri furrowed her eyebrows, not getting what Taeyeon is trying to say. She waited for Taeyeon to continue.

 

“They contacted me. They want me to fight in Hell.”

 

“What the **** Taeng! Are you serious!? And you said yes!?” Yuri yelled through the open air.

 

Taeyeon winced at the volume but she expected it. Same reason why she chose to talk outside. She nodded. There’s no turning back now. I can’t turn back. This is for Tiffany. She convinced herself.

 

“Do you really want to get killed!? Huh?” Yuri grabbed Taeyeon’s shoulders and shook him. “Wake up Taeng! Don’t you even care what Fany will feel when she gets to know about this!? I’m telling you, she’ll die right at the spot.”

 

“That’s why I need you to keep quiet about this. Please Yuri, this is the only chance I have. Please Yuri…” Taeyeon pleaded as she grabbed Yuri’s arms.

 

Yuri removed Taeyeon’s grip and walked away, “No Taeng! No! I promised you and Fany to help you but not this time.” She shook her head. “And whoever contacted you, I will find them and calling this off!”

 

“You know you can’t.”

 

“GAH!!!” Yuri stared at Taeyeon’s eyes with anger. She knows Taeyeon was right. Once a fight in Hell was arranged, there’s no turning back. “What kind of stupidity came over you!?”

 

“Yuri… Whether you’ll help me or not, I will go on with this. It’s been settled and this is the only option we got.” Taeyeon said while looking up at the night sky.

 

Yuri was a bit surprised at Taeyeon’s calm voice. She too couldn’t think of any other way on how to resolve this faster. They need time and they’re running out of it.

 

“The pay is big.” Taeyeon started talking again. “More than enough to fly Fany to Japan or to the US and pay for all the expenses. We will even have enough to finally retire.” Taeyeon then looked at Yuri with soft eyes. “Just one last fight and we’ll be in peace.”

 

Yuri thought hard. The idea of ending all these fights is very blinding, for the good sake of her two friends. “Okay Taeng, this will be the last time.” Yuri said after calming down and exhaled loudly.

 

Taeyeon nods once, still looking at Yuri.

 

“There are three rounds, same as the Underground. But the last round involves weapons. We have not trained on any weapons yet. We need to start as soon as possible. We’ll start training while you heal your left hand. Good thing it’s not your main hand. When is the fight anyway?”

 

“In two weeks.” Taeyeon answered worriedly.

 

Yuri can only sigh. She can’t argue now, they need to plan. She started walking around to think. “Two weeks… too early… It’s just enough for your hand to heal. What if the weapon requires two-hands?” Yuri said then exhaled.

 

“I’ll get this hand treated quickly.”

 

“Yes, that’s a given. I hope it’s not as bad as we think. Rest now, we’ll start training on the day after tomorrow. We’ll only train with weapons, that is our enemy. If you don’t know how to use the weapon thrown at you then that will certainly be your end. And we won’t even know who we are up against with.”

 

Taeyeon understood and nodded. Feeling nervous right now.

 

Yuri sensed it, “Nervous?”

 

Taeyeon nods.

 

“Well, you should be. A fight in Hell means a fight for death. It always ends when one dies.”

 

“What kind of weapons do they have?” Taeyeon asked curiously, wanting to know her chances.

 

“It’s random. Depends on what the sponsor wants. It can be swords, maces, spears, or daggers. Well, I do hope you get a dagger or knife since I’m good with that.” Yuri smirked.