The Name Tag

Stop and Smell the Roses
The Name Tag
I blinked my eyes open and found myself staring at the ceiling. I looked around and realized that I was lying down on a bed in the nurse's office. Did I...did Mina knock me unconscious?! Right when I had the thought, the nurse walked in and discovered that I have awakened.

     "Ah, morning!" she greeted, walking over to my bed.

     When she sat down on the bedside, I noticed her name tag read Seo Yuna. She had short brown hair, and her dark brown eyes looked down at me with fondness. She had the most adorable baby face, so I assumed she was around her twenties.

     "I saw you try to outrun Mina half an hour ago. This is the first time anyone has ever survived Mina's wrath for more than a minute. I'm impressed!"

     "I'm the first one? Will that make the students not laugh at me the entire year?" I asked sarcastically, forgetting my dialect. 

     "It would...if it weren't for the fact that you were also the very first one to be knocked unconscious by her," Yuna chuckled. "I'm afraid to tell you that you've become the laughing stock of the entire school, but if you keep speaking in dialect, you'll get bullied even more." 

     I completely forgot about speaking in dialect, so I fixed my speech. "That's just fantastic," I said. "And it's all because of that guy who made me late."

     "Ah, Yonghwa," Yuna said. "I'm sure it was just an accident. He really is a kind-hearted person. He just doesn't know how to treat people."

     "What do you mean? His parents never taught him manners?" I asked, becoming curious about the one who ruined my reputation.

      "It's not that he was never taught manners," she explained. "He's never had a friend before, so he's clueless as to how to treat a person he's never met." 
     "Really? How come he's never had a friend before? Is there anything wrong with him?"

      Yuna looked from her left to her right, almost as if to be sure that no one else was listening in. "Rumor has it that Yonghwa is working on a top secret mission for the government, so he has no time at all to have a social life," she gossiped, almost whispering.

     "What kind of secret mission?" I asked, amazed at the knowledge that Yuna Unnie possessed about students.

     "What do you think "top secret" means?" she asked playfully. "To be honest, I kind of believe it. Ever since he came to Sangsang, he's made it to rank one out of the entire school. He beat out all of his sunbaes, and he's stayed number one throughout all his years here. He's at his last year now, but he's not even trying to enjoy it. All he does is study vigorously in the library every single day." 

     "That's depressing. I bet he doesn't even know how to have fun," I paused, wondering how a school nurse could be so knowledgeable about the stuents. "How do you know all this stuff?"

     "Well, if you're a friendly and pretty nurse like me, people usually come in for advice and small talk. Even though there's already a counselor in the school, students want an understanding person to spout their gossip and problems to," Yuna said, smiling radiantly. "So if you ever have any problems at all, or if you just want someone to talk to, just know that you're always welcome in here."

     "Oh...," I mumbled, feeling my cheeks turning red. "Gamsahamnida." 

     She took a look at her pastel pink wrist watch. "The bell is supposed to ring in another thirty minutes," she announced. "You can go to your class if you want, but you're welcome to stay in here if you'd like."

      I've never ditched class voluntarily before, and I was about to tell Yuna Unnie that I was ready to go to class, but I remembered the stamp that was imprinted on my forehead and instantly had second thoughts. "Do you mind if I stay here for the rest of the period?"

     She smiled brightly, showing her white teeth; it was the most beautiful smile I've ever seen in person. "I don't mind at all."

     I spent the rest of the thirty minutes lying down on the bed, staring at the ceiling and wondering how the rest of the day will play out. I was surprised at how quickly I made a friend here considering the events that branded me as a target for all students and teachers. 

     'I'll probably never make any friends here other than Yuna Unnie,' I thought, 'and it's all because of that Yonghwa jerk.'

     I continued staring at the ceiling for what seemed like only a couple of minutes until I heard the most hostile sound I've ever heard in my life: the bell. I didn't sit up right away, and my heart started beating out of control.

     I slowly sat up and positioned my legs to the side of the bed. Yuna Unnie looked glanced at me from her desk and walked over to hand me my bag and the book that I picked up from the sidewalk. 

     "Here," she said. "That book belongs to Yonghwa. You should return it to him during break today."

     "Yeah, I will," I told her. "Thank you so much for helping me out today. Do you mind if I come in here during break and lunch? I should probably avoid my classmates today...and everyday."

     "It's no problem at all," she said. "Good luck with the rest of your day. It may not be easy, but remember that it's only for today. Everyone will forget sooner or later."

     "Hopefully," I replied, not really believing her words.

     I walked out of the infirmary and headed towards my second class which was located on the other side of the building. I tried my best to walk as quickly as I could, but it hurt when I put pressure on my right leg, and the people crowding around me, laughing and pointing at me didn't help at all.

     They formed circles around me as I made my way to class, much to my annoyance. Students just pointed and laughed, but I really didn't know what the point of that was. It was just immature and unnecessary, and it's like they don't even care to get to class, which irritated me even more. I bet most of them didn't attend this expensive school on a full scholarship, so they're basically wasting well earned money.

     I tried walking as quickly as I could, but the students and my knee kept holding me back. I speed walked as hard as I could with all those people in my way, but it wasn't enough. Someone from the crowd of people stuck their foot out, so for the third time in one morning, I landed on my wounded knee.

     I cried sharply in pain, much to my torturer's pleasure. I couldn't look up at is face, so I looked at his shoes and discovered that they were name brand--everyone's shoes were name brand.

     'I can't believe this,' I thought. 'How many times am I gonna fall on this cursed knee?!'

     Everyone laughed hysterically as I lied on the floor groaning, holding my knee to my chest. The late bell rang, so everyone scrambled to their classes, leaving me with my pain on the ground. I used the wall to help me stand and held on as I limped to class that was at the end of the long hallway. 

    I knocked on the door, and the teacher opened the door for me. His name tag read Lee Jaejin, and he was young, maybe around his mid-twenties. His black hair was styled so that it looked like he had it done at the salon just a few hours ago. He had a handsome face, but I could tell he wasn't happy when he saw me standing on the opposite side of the door. 

     "Why are you late?" Mr. Lee asked. "Do you realize that you are the reason why these kids are so chaotic and wild today? And now you're here to make them even more crazy than they already are?"

     "I'm late because I was tripped by a student in the hall. Since I'm injured, it took me a while to get here all the way from the infirmary," I replied. "I'm sorry that I was late, and caused all the chaos, but it really wasn't my fault." 

     "I dont care if this was your fault or not; it doesn't change the fact that you're the one who made these kids hyped up today," he yelled. "How do you expect me to control them?"

     His spit landed on my cheek, which disgusted me to infinity and beyond. "Just...give them your death glare," I said with an exasperated tone. "Since you're young, I'm sure you're a bit new to this school, the students won't think that you'd be so strict. You need to let them know that you are the leader in this classroom. Make them feel guilty that they're acting up."

     "What? How dare you--"

     "Tell them how much it costs to attend this school. Then tell them about their hardworking parents, other people who don't have the opportunity to learn like they do, and if that doesn't work, corner someone and make him feel guilty. Everyone will fear you because they'll know that they're just as responsible."

     "How do you expect that to work?" Mr. Lee scoffed. "I doubt they will listen to me ramble on."

     "That's why you glare at them. If you're so afraid to do it, then I'll be glad to do it for you," I volunteered.

     "Be my guest," he said, "but if you fail, then you will be my target for the rest of the year. I'll be sure to enjoy every second of it, believe me."

     I ignored his threat and took a deep breath, limping to the front center of the room to face the students. I my glare, which was this cold glower that I only reveal to special people who deserve it.

     Whenever I turn on my glare, they either look elsewhere and try to ignore me, or they look at me and freeze with fear. I tilted my head down a little bit so that my dark circles would be extra noticeable to emphasize the darkness of my overall look.

     One of the students glanced at me and laughed, so I decided that he would be my target, the one who will be my cornered mouse. I smirked at  him, which made me look even more frightening. One by one, students quieted down, some staring awkwardly at the wall, trying not to meet my gaze. It was time to use those acting skills of mine.

     I began to walk around the class, trying my best not to limp. "Is this how you repay your parents?" I asked them. "They work so hard, did you know? Do you know how much it costs to attend this school?"

     "A lot," the boy answered from the back of the room. He smirked as his classmates, laughed at his own remark.

     'What a loser,' I thought.

     "You're right," I said, slowly making my way over to his seat. "Do you know how many people wish they were in your seat right now?"

     "A lot," he repeated, smiling with satisfaction as his classmates snickered for the second time.

     "Right again," I said. I stood in front of his desk and leaned my head in closer to his. "If you know, then why are you abusing your position? I'm entirely sure you didn't attend on scholarship. Your family actually has the money to send you here, so I suppose it's just too much to ask of you to sit down and stop ruining everyone else's education."

     I almost whispered these words to him, but not too quietly. 

     "Oooooo," the class echoed.

     His face turned bright red, and his eyes met mine, but I knew exactly what he was doing. It was his last desperate attempt to win, but I didn't give it to him. Eventually, he averted his eyes, and the corners of my lips lifted into a grin as I walked back to the front center of the classroom.  

     "Seong saeng-nim, you may begin teaching now," I said with a bow. I took a seat on the penalty desk and waited with my regular face for Mr. Lee to start.

     He was was still standing at the door with his mouth slightly open in awe. 

     I smiled and motioned for him to continue. Everyone becomes shocked after they see me like that, so it was a perfectly normal reaction. Mr. Lee finally snapped and began teaching his class. He didn't pick on me like I expected him to, much to my satisfaction, and before I knew it, class ended, so I gathered my supplies and stuffed them into my bag. 

     "You better teach me that glare one day," Mr. Lee said as I stood to leave. "That was brilliant acting. I really couldn't believe that an innocent person like you could be so cold and ominous."

     "I guess," I laughed, scratching the back of my head. "Have a nice day, Seong saeng-nim!"

     I walked out of the classroom and made my way to the library, which was only a few classrooms away. I opened the door and stepped into the most wonderful library I've ever set my eyes on. 

     Large bookshelves filled with books of all kinds were everywhere. The air smelled like papers and ink, as expected of a library, and classical music was playing in the background; as faint as it was, it was still present. I looked to my right and saw rows of tables for students to study on. There were also about twenty of the most expensive computers lined up for research purposes. On the walls were names of everyone who attended the school and their rank, and I saw that Yonghwa's name was, of course, the first.

     I looked around for Yonghwa, but I had no idea what he looked like. Yuna Unnie told me that he spends break reading, but there were several people reading as well...

     Suddenly, someone from behind me grabbed my hands and held them on my back.

     "Hold her hands, Jungshin" a familiar voice said. "I'm going to make sure this hurts a lot."

     My eyebrows shot up as I realized who it was--the boy that I cornered earlier. 'He's going to hurt me!!' I thought.

     I tried to free my hands, but Jungshin's hold was monstrously strong. 

     "Don't let her go," the boy said.

     "I'm not gonna, Haneul. Who do you think I am?" Jungshin said. 

     Haneul removed my bag and flung it on a table. Then he grabbed my shoulder and pushed me down onto the table. I didn't know what he was about to do so I was scared out of my mind, but I soon found out his intentions when I felt a keen object being driven into the nametag that Mina attached onto me.

     "I'll lecture you well, alright, Shinhye," Haneul said through gritted teeth. "I can't wait to hear you beg for mercy." 

 
 
 

 

layout by dream_keeper88