two

Love Compulsory

 

chapter two

 

The weather had started to change in Beijing as the temperature in town started to fall. Everyone on the streets were as busy as usual, minding their own business – going for work or school spite of the turning-cool climate. Same goes to the snoring girl who was running late but still in a night mode – Shen Minxi.

 

She lives in a shabby apartment bought by herself months ago spending almost all of her savings she had since she was 5. It was tough for an orphan like her to find a job in such age; luckily a noodle stall owner hired her as her delivery girl and even treated her like her own daughter. But alas, the stall owner deceased of some illness when Minxi was 12 and she continued her business while living in the rented apartment left by her. She paid for her rent of course, although there were some delays of the payment but the owner of the apartment was kind enough as he watched her grow up as the stall owner. Finally, she bought the unit with her hard-earnings with a 10% discount by the owner.

 

Kring………!

 

This is the nth alarm of the day since 6.30 in the morning. Her hand was trying to reach the drawer blindly beside the snorer’s bed, its owner was still drooling over her blanket kicking off her socks worn last night. Guess what? Her hand did reach the ringing alarm clock, but…

 

THUD! The impact of the alarm clock with the floor result a loud thud and followed by parted little components of the alarm clock. The next movement was made by the girl; get her back straight sitting on the bed but still with her baggy-difficult-to-open-eyes on, slimming her eyes at the dead clock. “Ah…the 9th one of this month…” Ruffling her hair, she finally crawled to the washroom and did her job like a half dead snail.

 

Obviously, Minxi was not rushing that late; today’s class starts at 10.50. If she has a rush hour, the apartment would be jumping upside down coz of her clumsiness. Today, she has around an hour to wash up, brush her hair and enjoy breakfast under the morning sun in the little balcony she owns… until a dream-waking call wakes her up from her daydream.

 

 

 

Xiumin was boiling his secret recipe of his glorious dish in his hotpot shop before the brand new day of his business; the hot and spicy gravy which he upholds on its tantalizing aroma of mixed spices including dried chilies, garlic, onions and whatever spices that brings glory to his shop for 3 years in Beijing since he start his run in this business of him.

 

He was brought to this foreign land when he was 6 by his uncle with his son, who is the father of  Jongdae when no one could take care of him in Incheon despite of his parents’ dirty business which might put their only son’s life at stake any moment. It was difficult for him and Jongdae that time when they had to study Mandarin as other children in a local school in Beijing. His uncle was too poor to afford their school fees for an international school, so the two boys just had to work harder than other students.

 

Things weren’t easy for the two foreign boys; always got bullied by local students, starving during every recess time they had, failing every examinations in all subjects in the language they never interacted with. Now, everything got better when Xiumin the sensible one has higher ambitions to live independently in this foreign country. He even took 4 part-time jobs during elementary and secondary years, unlike Chen the mischievious one; always create troubles and problems with others in school which was the biggest headache to his father. Finally, Xiumin’s hard work paid off and saved some money to open him a hotpot shop which he runs himself with his cousin and sometimes some help from the China-lines.

 

Humming his favorite tune written by Lay, Xiumin took a sip on his almost-done spicy gravy. “Hmm… I hope this tastes the same as yesterday’s.” To assure the quality of his gravy, he would ask someone with a sharp sense of taste to have a little sip of it; Lay the food gobbler. But the said guy was always out of the country. Even he is in town, he wouldn’t wake up just to have a taste on something. Imagine 87 calls made just in a morning but none was answered by the owner of the phone, who was too busy snuggling into the warmth of his blanket not wanting to open his eyes till he felt to do so. Luckily, Xiumin has another candidate to do the job replacing Lay; the best bubble tea maker, Luhan.

 

Swiping his phone screen swiftly using his amazing fingers, a call was made to the said genius. Few seconds, the call was answered, “Hey Lu-ge. I was thinking of…” Just then, a shadow came down from the stairs fumbling itself along the way and headed to the kitchen without knowing of Xiumin…

 

 

 

Minxi stormed out of the toilet still having her toothbrush in , “Urgh! Who the fu-” She paused as the caller’s ID surprised her; Luhan. She swipes the screen, “Hello Luhan! It’s surprising that you woul-” “Do you know that you’re late?”

 

Minxi raised her brows while walking into the toilet again to continue her brushing; “Late? Late for what? I thought class is postponed to 10 something?” In the other line, the guy was brushing away the sweat hanging on the end of his locks, saying “Well, I said I’d treat you bubble tea at 8,” glancing his watch and continues, “And it’s almost 9 quarter now.”

 

Oops! Great. Minxi had an agreement with the said guy before this; a group study at Luhan’s place with Yuqing on Additional Mathematics at 8 since everyone is free at the day. But now, just because of her memory span of a fish, Luhan waited there for an hour. Maybe even more… She huffed out a sigh and cued, “Ah…I’m sorry Lu. Are you still there, I’ll be right there.” The flustered girl prepared to hang up but stopped by the guy; “No need. I’m right in front of your door.”

 

Now?

 

Outside my door?

 

Bluffer.

 

I don’t take your bluff, Bubble Tea Boy. Minxi hung up her phone before spitting out the white foam in and gargled in disbelieve. She had no intention of checking out her door to see if Luhan’s really there but went for a change in her room again and doing other stuff of hers before going to Luhan.

 

 

 

In the other side, Luhan waited for 1…2…3 minutes, but no one opens the door for him. This girl is really a blockhead. He tried to call on the 6th minute; no one listened and the call was transferred to the voice message. She doesn’t believe me, does she? Although the sun was not as hot as summer, it’s still sun after all. Penetrating his milky skin, Luhan finally can’t stand it. A ding-dong will help, maybe?

 

Ding Dong.

 

So he’s playing real. The girl in the house raised her brow and forgot about what she’s doing to get the said door. “Took you so long, Shen Minxi.”

 

“Sorry, I thought you were pulling my leg.” She smiled sheepishly rubbing her nape avoiding Luhan’s stare. The guy rolled his eyes; “Here’s your bubble tea. Yuqing said she has some family affairs to take care of.” Minxi shrugged as she knew that Yuqing’s family is quite objective in the whole idea of hanging out with some poor like her and shot, “Well, her family dislike paupers like us.” “You bet,” Luhan sang in agreement while poking the plastic cover of the bubble tea he made this morning for two of them and left one inside the girl’s fridge, saying, “And you can have that one if you want or throw it away.” He paused while taking a sip of his mint flavor bubble tea and flipped the pages of reference books that Minxi needed help on it, “Now, let’s see what you at.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

He roused from his deep slumber by the ruckus raised downstairs. To be specific, the kitchen. Urgh! Chen ruffled his hair groaning of the disturbance made nearly every day, but he could do nothing with it. It was his cousin’s business after all. If Xiumin don’t do the job, who would? He wasn’t that kind of oh-so-diligent guy that would flip his eyes open at 4 every morning to cook the heavenly spicy gravy which is the one and only honorable dish of the hotpot shop. He gave a lazy stretch before heading downstairs to wash up and find himself some good food.

 

With the heavy drowsy scent of slumber still wrapping around him, Jongdae fumbled his way downstairs. As he passed by the serving tables of the shop, he saw his cousin talking to the phone. “Ya, if Minxi is willing, I welcome her too.” Psh, that brat Minxi.  He continued his way to the bathroom which is located at the kitchen.

 

Looking clumsy as drunkard, Chen walked past the big hollowware of the gravy, seducing his nostrils till his taste buds. As he twisted his body to face the hollowware, his back hit one of the utensils placed on the stainless steel table and it fell…

 

 

 

 

CRUSH!

 

 

 

 

Hearing upon the house-collapsing loud crush from the kitchen, Xiumin quickly dropped his phone and rushed to the scene and guess what he saw? The hollowware which used to contain the livelihood was lying on the floor with dripping remaining gravy which was no longer salvageable as it already painted the floor with its fresh color of scarlet. As he raised his head to face the culprit of the mess, the other party tried to salvage the situation by offering him a stupid sheepish smile plastered on his camel face.

 

“H-hi, hy-yung-nim…I wasn’t m-meant to-” Jongdae’s damping voice entered his red ears, balling his fist trying to rein in his rising temper. Through his gritted teeth, fury words bashed out preparing to boil Jongdae in the hot oil.

 

“KIM JONGDAE YOU USELESS GET OUT OF MY KITCHEN!!!”

 

 

last updated: 0050, 200914