Chapter 13

A Gisaeng's Heart

A/N: I have done a double update today, so please read Chapter 12 before this one if you haven't already! 

 

It was before Yujin arrived that word had arrived from the Lee Pack that Donghae had been attacked by the rogue canine shifter at his wedding. It was one part of why the leaders were all meeting a few days later, the other being the information that Yujin had brought with her when she’d arrived in Hanyang.

Lee Hyukjae could smell the attraction between Ji Yong and Yujin the moment he stepped into the meeting house. Even with the threat of the Japanese on the coast, it was almost a relief to him to see that nature was attempting to assert itself between the two powerful shifters, even if it looked like they were ignoring it.

Suddenly Hyukjae’s senses were assaulted by the warm, spicy smell of Park Leeteuk, who was Cho Kyuhyun’s second, walking into the room. He could feel his wolf Eunhyuk absorbing the unique scent of the other shifter, basking in the warm of it. Their eyes met briefly across the room, the spicy scent spiking suddenly as Hyukjae realized that Eunhyuk could sense the attraction between Yujin and Ji Yong and that he might just be putting his own pheromones out for the older male to pick up. It hadn’t been that long since the Conclave, but Hyukjae basked in the warmth of the bond that he and Leeteuk had formed after the fact.

There were no Pack codes against an alpha of one pack being involved with a second of another pack, though generally it rarely happened. Even if the Packs were not on good terms with each other, special exceptions had been made in the past concerning such arraignments, especially when Pack populations were low and the second of a Pack was a female instead of male.

No one knew yet that Hyukjae and Leeteuk were together, but if the threat against Joseon became real, everyone would find out eventually if they were going to be holed up in that god-awful hideout that Kangin’s scout had found.

The meeting started, the information about the attack on Lee Donghae recounted for those who didn’t know, along with the fact that the attacker had been Japanese, making Zhou Mi and Yujin’s job of searching for the rogues that much harder to conduct. Hyukjae felt a pair of eyes on him as he concentrated on the meeting. It wouldn’t do for one of the Pack leaders to not be paying attention to an important meeting that could possibly change their lives. The topic turned from Donghae to the threat of the Japanese.  Kangin had sent a runner out to fetch Donghae to give his perspective on what had happened that morning at his wedding.

Kyuhyun had been quietly absorbing the information presented at the meeting. He knew he was the youngest Pack leader, and the most inexperienced as well. Kyuhyun hadn't wanted to become a Pack leader, being forced into the position has forced responsibility on him, and made him want to cower under a rock in order to avoid that responsiblity. Kyuhyun hated responsibilty, had avoided every chance he could to run away from the very obvious hints that Kibum had sent his way before suddenly handing the pack over to him and disappearing without warning.

It dawned on Kyuhyun that the solution to his problem was right in front of him. He could choose to give up his right as an alpha to one of the other Pack leaders, similar to how Kibum had forced Kyuhyun into the role. With the impending threat of the Japanese, he probably could fake ignorance of how Pack codes operate under emergency situations and force either Kangin or Hyukjae to absorb his oddball pack into their own.

In fact, he realized he was about to anounce his intention to abdicate his Pack, his wolf agreeing wholeheartedly, when he noticed that all eyes were trained on the doorway. Where a very confused and yet commanding shifter stood in the doorway, smiling sheepishly at them. Kyuhyun felt himself knee jerk unconsciously as his eyes slid over the defined facial features of the newcomer. The way his dark eyes surveyed the room, the obvious deference to Kangin and Hyukjae, and the sudden curious yet piercing stare he directed at Kyuhyun that left the alpha breathless.

Without warning, and to the shock and surprise of every single person in the room, Kyuhyun felt his wolf take control of his body if only to growl out in desire. “Mate.”

All movement in the room froze. It was the first time anyone could remember an alpha announcing his mate in a public setting. Hyukjae frowned. ‘Had Kibum not taught Kyuhyun anything about being an alpha?’ Eunhyuk asked him, excitement in his voice.

I don’t think so.’ Hyukjae thought, judging by the knee jerk reaction Kyuhyun had just done.

It only took a few seconds for Donghae to register what the tall dark-eyed man with soft features was saying. His own wolf, whom he’d affectionately named Bada, suddenly was alert. A warm almost cinnamon-like scent suddenly filled his nose. ‘He is our mate.’ Bada said, an incredulous tone to his voice. Donghae heard himself faintly ask, “Wait…what does that mean?”

Kangin swore, prompting Hyukjae to elbow him. “We need to do something about this!” He hissed at his fellow alpha, already noticing the glassy eyed look Kyuhyun had as he was already half standing in his spot.

Kangin swallowed, seeing the look Kyuhyun had. “Someone quickly explain to Donghae what is going on and someone else go prepare the kits.” Kangin ordered, quickly taking his place as the eldest alpha in the room now that the meeting was being put on pause for this unexpected turn of events.

Hyukjae quickly turned to Ji Yong, seeing the understanding bloom in his eyes. They needed a room, and fast. Kangin had approached Kyuhyun, taking careful steps to show he wasn’t a threat to the other shifter, even though he was the elder alpha. Any wrong move could put Donghae and the others in danger if Kyuhyun thought his mate was in any danger, and wouldn’t hesitate to turn wolf and attack anyone who he thought would hurt his mate.

Leeteuk was already over at Donghae’s side, his voice a low murmur as he kept his distance from the new shifter, another sign that they were being cautious around Kyuhyun.

“When a shifter recognizes another shifter as his or her mate, it means they are kind of like husband and wife.” Leeteuk said, keeping his hands from touching Donghae. “Does that make sense?”

Donghae swallowed, his tongue feeling thick in his mouth. Being a newlywed, he knew what it meant to be husband and wife as he’d done his duty to his wife in regards to their bedroom activities, but to do such a thing with another man? The cinnamon scent grew stronger, confusing Donghae. He nodded at Leeteuk, barely registering what the other shifter had to say. His hands clenched into fists as hot wave of something that tingled washed over his body. Donghae closed his eyes, his other senses taking in the scent of what he assumed was Kyuhyun.

“Here are the kits…oh my.” Daesung had been informed of what was going on apparently, though the obvious attraction Donghae was having towards Kyuhyun’s scent was a strong indicator of what was going on, even if Daesung didn’t fully understand how the canine shifters knew who was mate and who wasn’t. He turned to Donghae, ignoring the slight billowing of the front of Donghae’s hanbok. “Listen Donghae. When you get in the room, let him take the lead. You two may end up doing things that your teachings claim to be the mark of sin, but as a shifter, this is natural and accepted in our world. Don’t be afraid. Let things go naturally.” Daesung was glad to see that Hyukjae had grabbed the kits and followed the shadow of the other group guiding Kyuhyun carefully toward a back bedroom.

Leeteuk noticed how Donghae’s breathing had gone shallow trying to keep Kyuhyun’s scent in his memory as much as possible. “Let’s go meet your mate.”

No one had heard Donghae deny that Kyuhyun was his mate, making the reality that they were mates all the more real. Yujin had pulled out a fresh sheet of paper and had recorded every single thing said and done. No one wanted this rare moment to be lost.

Kyuhyun didn’t remember standing up, not until he realized he was standing in different room, one without Donghae’s scent. ‘Donghae.’ His wolf murmured, pleased. The name fit the man so well, Kyuhyun thought in a moment of clarity. Two baskets filled with various items sat near the door, catching his eye. So even the Clan had the mate kits on hand in case of such an occasion.

A whiff of the unique smell that was Donghae grew stronger. Kyuhyun gripped his hanbok, feeling a wave of heat caress his legs, traveling up until he felt his whole body was on fire. Kibum had never told him about this part, and for that he cursed the former Pack leader. Maybe Kibum had figured with all of Kyuhyun’s wanderings to avoid responsibility that he’d had his first ual encounter with another shifter, but couldn’t be any further from the truth.