Chapter 3

Agassi 아가씨

Chapter 3

 

Agassi, wake up.”

 

Daeyoung slowly opened her eyes only to shut it again because of the sudden light. After a while, her eyelids fluttered open and she sighed. It’s morning already.

 

“Your day is too beautiful to be started with a desperate sigh.”

 

Daeyoung’s eyes squinted at the person talking, “Yeah... Good morning, Kyungsoo, and ‘Daeyoung’ please,” she said and Kyungsoo bowed at her. She stood up and gingerly made her way to the bathroom.

 

 

By the time the clock’s hand struck 9, the Hwangs had set off to their university. Usually Baekhyun and Daeyoung would ride different car, but Baekhyun had dismissed Sungmin to the office, thus making him follow their car.

 

“You only have 3 classes today, it will end at 1, from the university, we’ll have lunch, going to the office is optional, and after those, you’re completely free. Oh yeah, remember to consume your vitamins, agassi,” Kyungsoo announced her schedule and pushed his phone back into his pocket. He turned back only to see his agassi spacing out and Baekhyun reading a thick book.

 

“We’re off fast today, right noona?” Baekhyun who had been occupying himself with his book turned to Daeyoung. The latter seems startled and nodded awkwardly.

 

Baekhyun raised his brow and lowered his glasses, making him looked like a grumpy old man, “Hey, what’s wrong? Spacing out this early? Back to Earth~~~” Baekhyun sang and laughed, but realizing that no one found him amusing, he wisely chose to shut up. But that didn’t really last long.

 

“Really, what has happened?” a truly confused Baekhyun asked.

 

Kyungsoo thought for a while and cluck his tongue to hide his awkwardness, “So, the problem is this and that, and etc.”

 

Baekhyun rolled his eyes, “Come on...! Tell me.” Baekhyun whined, pushed his glasses up, and pouted slightly.

 

So un-businessman-like. Kyungsoo thought, gave him a you-better-know-what-you’re-doing look and faced front.

 

Baekhyun made a face at Kyungsoo and turned to his dear noona, who was staring back at him with an indescribable aura around her. Zombie. Baekhyun gulped whatever questions he was about to ask, adjusted his glasses, and obediently read his book.

 

I’ll add this problem to my find-out list. Baekhyun thought and glanced at Daeyoung worriedly. Yesterday, when he saw Daeyoung went home without informing him, he had sensed something fishy, and to sum up with her unusual super cold demeanor, he really needed to make a move. Even if he had trusted Kyungsoo to take care her, Daeyoung was still his sister after all.

 

 

 

The car halted in front of an enormous white building. Just above the main entrance, there was a golden plat with ‘Seoul National University’ written on it.

 

Kyungsoo stepped out of the car and opened the door for Daeyoung and was about to do it for Baekhyun, but because of waiting too long, Baekhyun had done it himself, not without glaring at Kyungsoo though.

 

Kyungsoo assisted both Daeyoung and Baekhyun to their department, Business department, and after assuring both of them had entered their perspective class, especially Daeyoung, he went to the Art Department.

 

Kyungsoo was about to enter his class when a group of girls walked to him, “Kyungsoo-sshi, do you have any free time later? We’re going to watch a movie. There are also some other boys, are you in?” A brunette-haired girl asked. The group was filled with 3 beautiful girls; they were all dressed fashionably and seemed to hold a high hierarchy.

 

Kyungsoo seemed to be taken aback with the sudden invitation, but nonetheless, he shot them an apologizing smile before saying, “I’m really sorry ladies, but I have something to do later. Once again, I’m really sorry to reject your offer, maybe, next time,” Kyungsoo replied, smiled and bowed ninety degrees, before leaving the three ladies in daze.

 

 

“That Daeyoung got to be really lucky to have such loyal and handsome butler, lucky her, mine is an annoying old man,” one of the girl who had blonde hair said and studied her manicured hands.

 

Another girl with straight black hair said to the brunette-haired girl, “Don’t be sad Iseul, I believe one day he will fall for your charms. Thousands of boys are chasing you, it’s just a matter of time.”

 

“Hope so, Haeri. Come on, let’s go. Nari-ah, last time you told me about a new boutique, should we give it a try?” Iseul said, nudging the blonde.

 

“Hm! Sounds good, I’m in!” Haeri chirped happily and dragged the two girls with her.

 

The three girls then walked away while chattering about various topics.

 

 

 

“You decline their offer again.”

 

Kyungsoo didn’t need to look back to know who that person was. He sighed, closed his sketchbook, and stood up, not forgetting to bow down at her.

 

“Your day is too beautiful to be passed with a desperate sigh.”

 

“Yeah, but I thought your class has started, agassi,” Kyungsoo finally looked at her and led her to the wooden bench.

 

“It’s Daeyoung and yes, it will, in 5 minutes time. So, I thought I would like to spend that good amount of time for some fresh air,” Daeyoung said and eyed Kyungsoo’s sketchbook. Kyungsoo should have known that Daeyoung wanted to see what were inside, but he seemed to act oblivious about it, just like always.

 

“What did you sketch?” Daeyoung finally asked. Kyungsoo’s face twitched a bit and Daeyoung found it amusing. Kyungsoo was an excellent painter, but such a shy prodigy.

 

“Erhm, just the oak tree there,” Kyungsoo pointed at a certain oak tree, still not wanting to show his work.

 

“Kyungsoo, I want to see what you drew,” Daeyoung said and looked at him straight to his eyes.

 

Kyungsoo broke the eye contact and hesitantly passed the book to his agassi. Daeyoung took a book with a glint of excitement in her eyes. She looked at the oak tree he had just drawn and was immediately awed by its details. He drew it as if he had drawn it all over his life; the trunk, the stump, the branches, the leaves on the ground; everything looked so real. The shading of the sunlight enhanced the common oak tree into a gorgeous piece of art. She traced the faint of the supposed to be rough bark’s patterns, those were what that made Kyungsoo’s piece different. Precision.

 

“This is... beautiful,” Daeyoung stated and her hand reached the end of the page to turn it but Kyungsoo’s hand stopped her.

 

“Your class will start pretty soon, better go back,” Kyungsoo said as he secretly retrieved his sketchbook.

 

Daeyoung felt reluctant at first, but finally gave in.

 

Kyungsoo heaved a relief sight and studied the page Daeyoung almost looked at. It was a picture of a lady looking sadly at the jungle gym across her. A very familiar lady.

 

 

“Do Kyungsoo, come here.”

 

Kyungsoo looked startled, but he quickly gathered his composure and looked up, only to see his professor leaning on the balustrade while smiling at him.

 

“Yes, professor Choi,” Kyungsoo hastily kept his sketchbook and rushed to the second floor. Kyungsoo entered the office and bowed once again at his professor who finally let out a hearty chuckle, “Don’t be so formal. Come, take a seat.”

 

Kyungsoo nodded and sat on the couch, and tried to make himself as comfortable as possible. He felt nervous out of sudden, he crossed his fingers and waited for professor Choi to speak.

 

“Kyungsoo, do you still remember the paintings you sent to the States for the ‘IAAE’?” Professor Choi asked. Kyungsoo nodded his head. IAAE, International Amateur Art Exhibition, the event was months ago, almost every junior and senior year art student sent their masterpiece. Well, he felt he did well with the painting, no screwing up at least. So, why?

 

Professor Choi smiled at Kyungsoo’s serious face and answered his silent query, “Well, your paintings gain a lot of attention either from experts or laymen.”

 

“That’s good,” Kyungsoo muttered and smiled to himself.

 

“But, that’s not the best part,” Professor looked so giddy and took a seat beside him, “A professor from Belgium seemed intrigued by your unique style and he has decided this,” Professor Choi placed a manila folder, Kyungsoo took out the content and his eyes widened.

 

Professor Choi smiled again, this time showing his dimples, “Yes, a full scholarship to the university there. Isn’t it great? It arrived two days ago, he phoned this university and told me that you have the talent that should not be wasted. Fill the form, and you’ll fly there in no time.” Professor said and praised Kyungsoo.

 

Kyungsoo stared at the University word and closed his ajar mouth, His lips slowly twitched to a big grin and he let out a few surprised chuckled. However, his laughter slowly died and he smiled softly, which didn’t reach his eyes.

 

“Professor Choi. First, I want to thank you for you’re the one who insist on sending my work, when I was not sure myself. Without you, I can’t possibly get this opportunity,” Professor Choi slapped his shoulder and waved his hands as if saying ‘It’s no big thing’, “Second, I want to say I’m deeply sorry,” Kyungsoo’s lips turned to thin line, he didn’t want to continue. His professor was joyfully talking about the scholarship that he didn’t hear Kyungsoo’s second statement. Kyungsoo forced himself to smile and decided not to cause his professor got a heart-attack.

 

“Professor,” Kyungsoo called, the latter looked at him with his ever-friendly face, “I really appreciate this offer, I’ll definitely give it a lot of thoughts. I promise to tell you my decision very soon. Good morning, Professor and once again, thank you,” Kyungsoo finished and smiled genuinely.

 

Professor Choi muttered an ’Oh’ and slowly walked to his armchair, not before giving Kyungsoo a squeeze saying how proud he was. Kyungsoo bowed for the last time and exited the room.

 

Kyungsoo closed the door and sighed deeply. Going to the University was just like a dream came true for Kyungsoo. When he was still young, that was his priority, but now... he sighed...

 

Daeyoung is.

 

 

 

“This is Kessaku, as you’ve wished. It’s established in year 1990 in Japan, and it has branches at almost every part of the world, this one just had its grand opening a week ago. And by the way, it’s built by the Lees.” Kyungsoo explained in front of Daeyoung and Baekhyun and led them to the main entrance of a Japanese restaurant.

 

“Geez... Hello...! We’re here for lunch, not for work. Please, spare my pathetic free-from-work life. I feel so lucky that my butler is quiet,” Baekhyun complained in an overdramatic manner, but sadly, the other two didn’t seem to listen to him. Huffing annoyingly, Baekhyun crossed his arms and turned to the other side.

 

Daeyoung looked at Baekhyun and sighed. Has he really grown up? Baekhyun also looked at Daeyoung as if asking her to agree with him.

 

Daeyoung arched her brow and said, “Baekhyun-ah, let’s go inside. I’m hungry.”

 

Baekhyun did another overdramatic mouth-gaping and said soundlessly, “You choose him over me!?”

 

Kyungsoo patted the younger’s back and muttered, “Come on, besides, you guys haven’t had lunch together for... How long?” Kyungsoo tried to think of a specific time but instead, he caught Baekhyun’s dark gaze at him. Kyungsoo immediately put his hands off and hastily opened the door for them, almost hitting the receptionist while doing that.

 

Baekhyun playfully snickered at Kyungsoo and went in, followed by Daeyoung. She let her gaze landed on Kyungsoo but the latter didn’t seem to realize. Daeyoung raised her eyebrow, she felt something’s off from Kyungsoo since the last time she saw him. She had caught him spazzing out for a few times. She was about to ask him but the latter had glanced at her and preceded to close the glass door.

 

 

 

“Wow... this is superb!” Baekhyun cheered as he got himself another spoon of the ramen’s soup.

 

“Yeah, indeed a ‘kessaku’ (masterpiece),” Daeyoung commented as she wiped her lips.

 

Just at that time, the desserts came. The desserts were pudding placed inside the traditional Japanese tea cup and was garnished elegantly with fruits. The restaurant did really have a think for creativity.

 

The waitress placed the desserts in front of Daeyoung and Baekhyun, then at Kyungsoo, who was sitting across the. Kyungsoo examined the desserts like he did to every dish and looked at the Hwang siblings.

 

The Hwang siblings were about to devour the delicious-looking pudding when Kyungsoo skillfully held both of their spoon, just in front of their mouth. Kyungsoo noted that both siblings were petrified almost immediately.

 

“Even if the pudding is in cream color and has strong smell of green tea, you can never deceive my nose. Don’t try to consume any watermelon without my knowing,” Kyungsoo said every word in a perilous tone, this made the Hwangs looked at him with wide eyes.

 

Baekhyun was the first to recover and immediately frowned, “But we haven’t had watermelon for such a long time. Besides, it’s just a tiny biny bit.”

 

Daeyoung who agreed with Baekhyun also said with a hint of whining, “Yeah, just a small cup of it won’t kill us right?”

 

Baekhyun then added, “Besides, it is said that the watermelon pudding here is a must-to-taste dish, this is what that makes the restaurant different.”

 

“If so, why ordering those without my knowing?” The question left the two siblings in silence, but the Baekhyun slowly smiled sheepishly while Daeyoung looked everywhere but at Kyungsoo.

 

Kyungsoo sighed and asked the waiter to bring him the menu. After receiving and thanking the waiter, he opened the last page of the book and showed them a list of pudding, “There are 20 kinds of pudding here, out of them, 5 are considered the most popular, one of them is watermelon, but there is also spinach.

 

Kyungsoo could see the siblings cringed a bit at the mentioned of Popeye’s most-loved vegetable. He was about to continue but Baekhyun interrupted him.

 

“But I hate spinach, so does noona.”

 

“I know, but you guys are anemic, and eating watermelon decreases your blood pressure. Geez, you guys and your scheme.”Kyungsoo said and ruffled his hair helplessly.

 

“But spare us just for this time, hyung,” Baekhyun pleaded and his puppy eyes attack mode which Kyungsoo could never resist.

 

“Fine, but, wait a minute,” Kyungsoo said and whispered to the waiter. The waiter came out and later came back with a small saucer.

 

“Salt?” Baekhyun said.

 

“Yeah,” Kyungsoo replied as he put a pinch of salt into Baekhyun’s cup.

 

“To balance them? Salt increases blood pressure. Hm... Can I say this as a smart resolution?” Baekhyun asked himself, shrugged, and eagerly took a big spoon of the pudding.

 

 

Daeyoung calmly moved her cup to left, away from Kyungsoo, and when he wanted to reach the cup, she moved it to right. That continued until Baekhyun finished his dessert with a brilliant smile and realized their intent staring contest. However, the younger surprisingly just shut his mouth and read his book as if everything was fine.

 

The scene was not unfamiliar for them, but one thing for sure, Daeyoung was one stubborn girl.

 

“Give me your cup,” Kyungsoo gritted as he stuck his hand. Daeyoung just looked at him with poker face.

 

Kyungsoo stood up still with his hand stuck out. Daeyoung simply shrugged off his warning gaze and reached for her spoon. She showed a victorious smiled and raised the spoon as if teasing him. Kyungsoo swiftly grabbed her hand and narrowed his eyes.

 

Agassi.” Kyungsoo uttered as he looked at Daeyoung intently.

 

Daeyoung frowned at the ‘agassi’ word, but nonetheless, she still dared him, as the girl fixed her gaze at Kyungsoo and bent her body forward, making their face only inches apart, “I. Don’t. Want.” Daeyoung muttered in a low tone, acknowledging of the tension and closeness.

 

On the other side, Baekhyun was left flabbergasted. Yes, he had seen them like this, but that was years ago, and heck, they’re now adults. Baekhyun closed his own hanging mouth with his hand and took a deep breath, he then opened his mouth to say something, but was interrupted by a phone ringing.

 

Baekhyun’s face soon turned sour as he rested his back on the chair. At the same time, Daeyoung found her bag and fished out her phone.

 

“Yeoboseyo?”

 

As Daeyoung spoke, Kyungsoo awkwardly finished his dessert. He looked up and met Baekhyun’s gaze, the latter then pointed at his own ears and smiled cheekily.  Kyungsoo knew his ears must be burning right now. He shrugged and half-smiled.

 

Daeyoung ended her call and stood up, her face very serious, “I have something to do, I’ll go now, someone is waiting me outside. Don’t have to assist me,” Daeyoung finished and nodded her head at Kyungsoo, her eyes seemed to tell him not to ask further questions. She then walked out of the VIP room.

 

Baekhyun furrowed his brows and asked the waiter to bring the bill. He paid it and they headed to the car. Yesterday’s act and this, something was fishy.

 

 

“I‘ll track her using GPS,” Baekhyun said as he tapped on his phone screen.

 

“Don’t. She asked us not to follow her,” Kyungsoo said.

 

Baekhyun looked irritated and continue to tap his phone ignoring Kyungsoo. But when Kyungsoo called his name for the third time, he finally burst.

 

“What?! We need to know who she’s meeting! She can be kidnapped!” Baekhyun voiced out his thought.

 

Kyungsoo looked at him and said, “Swipe away your bad thoughts, she told us she would go, if some bad guys threatened her to go, she would better sneak out.” Kyungsoo hesitated for a while, but he brought himself to speak, “It’s Kai.”

 

Baekhyun’s face showed relief but not even in a minute, it’s tensed again. Baekhyun remembered Daeyoung’s expression. He bit his inner lips while narrowing his eyes at Kyungsoo.

 

“Tell me.”

 

 

“I can’t believe this,” Baekhyun muttered unbelievably and Kyungsoo could just sigh.

 

“So, what should we do now?” Baekhyun asked.

 

“Head to the mansion. Kai is a good guy, he won’t do something bad,” Kyungsoo answered and in reply, Baekhyun blew his bangs, annoyed.

 

 

The car stopped in front of the mansion and Kyungsoo and Baekhyun came out. Both of them silently entered the mansion.

 

Inside the mansion, there were 2 large staircases from each side, right and left, between them there was a sculpture of the Hwangs ancestor. In front of them was the large living room. The mansion’s design was in theme of Victorian era.

 

“I can’t believe this, this is even more difficult than math equation,” Baekhyun muttered as he walked idly towards the living room.

 

“Relationship is definitely like that, and by the way, stop chanting that sentence, this is your thirty-second,” Kyungsoo said matter-of-factly.

 

As soon Kyungsoo finished his sentence Baekhyun halted his steps, his eyes transfixed to the garden facing the living room. Kyungsoo followed his gaze and saw the cherry blossom just in the middle of the colorful garden and coincidently, saw them.

 

“A good place to talk about private things, huh?” Baekhyun said sarcastically and scoffed. Before Kyungsoo could even react, Baekhyun had dashed to the garden dragging Kyungsoo with him. Kyungsoo looked at Kai from afar and gritted his teeth.

 

 

30 minutes earlier, a shiny black sports car stopped in front of the Hwang mansion.

 

“My mansion?” Daeyoung asked as she furrowed her eyebrows.

 

Kai nodded curtly and opened the door for her. They directly headed to the garden and took a seat under cherry blossom.

 

Both remained tongue-tied, no one dared to speak. It’s not an awkward situation, it’s more likely a depressing situation.

 

Kai couldn’t help but to sigh inwardly, “I’ve tried but I think this can’t work out.”

 

Daeyoung snorted, “So, this is it? You’re breaking up with me? In my house? Must be the best place isn’t it?” Daeyoung said sharply and stood up.

 

Kai took a hold of Daeyoung’s wrist and said in a weak tone, “It’s not like that, I’m afraid you might go to some other place and don’t go home. This relationship may not work, but I do care for you.”

 

Daeyoung scoffed and looked at Kai, “Care? So, this is what you call as a caring act?!” Daeyoung broke through his grip and walked away.

 

Kai called Daeyoung’s name but she didn’t want to listen. At last, irritation engulfed Kai and he lowly responded, “This is why this relationship can’t work.”

 

Daeyoung stopped walking and looked at Kai, her eyes reflected hurt, but strangely, no tears came out. Daeyoung tried hard to let herself cry but she couldn’t. Taking a deep breath and finding back her voice, she whispered, “So... so, what am I to you?”

 

Kai’s bit his lips walked to her. He stood in front of her and slowly lowered his head, “I used to think I love you as a woman, a lady, but time to time, I started to realize something is different. At first I didn’t know... until last night, I realize I love you just as a sister figure. Save our time to act lovey dovey, right?”

 

 

 

Wrong words. Wrong sentences. Everything’s wrong, too wrong.

 

Daeyoung shoot him a sharp glare as she clenched her fists so tightly that they turned white. Her body trembled greatly. Kai immediately realized his mistake and looked everywhere but her.

 

“I’m sorry,” Kai muttered but his body was immediately thrown to ground, hard.

 

Daeyoung turned around wide-eyed and saw his brother showing his fist while panting hard. Maybe he was the one who punched Kai, or was about, as the sound of punching didn’t stop. Daeyoung’s widened even more as she saw Kyungsoo straddling Kai, his fist was bleeding, and not to say Kai’s face.

 

“You bastard!” Kyungsoo shouted and he glared angrily at Kai.

 

Kai spat out blood and grinned, “Shouldn’t you be thanking me for doing that?”

 

Kyungsoo narrowed his eyes and aimed for his jaw. Kai winced in pain and hollered, “What the heck?!”

 

Kai pushed Kyungsoo to the ground and took the turn to punch him. The situation became disarray as the two alpha males kept throwing punches to each other, Baekhyun’s involvement to separate them also didn’t help much. If not for their far location, the whole people in the mansion would probably be watching right now.

 

“Kyungsoo, stop!” Daeyoung shouted at Kyungsoo who was about to lay another punch to Kai’s bloody face, which was not much different from Kyungsoo’s.

 

Everyone stopped their action, Baekhyun sat to the ground with a loud thud, clutching his stomach in pain. Kai smirked at the mention of Kyungsoo’s name and pushed him aside.

 

“All of you, leave,” Daeyoung whispered sternly. Kai chuckled darkly, wiped the blood in his mouth, and walked first; followed by Baekhyun who didn’t want to comment anything, leaving Kyungsoo.

 

 

“Kyungsoo, leave,” Daeyoung warned him without sparing any glance at him.

 

“Why I should I leave? If I will only see that bas-“

 

“Enough, Kyungsoo!” Daeyoung spat the words angrily. Because of what happened just now and this, she felt angrier than ever.

 

“Why can’t I do that?! He did wrong to you!” Kyungsoo argued back. Although he had the urge to console her, rage took over the control.

 

Daeyoung huffed angrily and looked at Kyungsoo’s poor-conditioned face, “Because This is my problem! Why should you care?!”

 

“Because I Love You!”

 

 

Kyungsoo quickly regretted his action as soon as he saw Daeyoung’s astonished expression. Yeah, he’s damned. He felt like punching himself, but instead, he ruffled his hair frustratingly and leaned on the tree.

 

For the next minutes, no one talked. The sun was slowly setting down, creating a gloomier atmosphere. He thought himself as a fool whilst she was confused.

 

 

Daeyoung didn’t dare to blink her eyes, her lips felt dry, “But...”

 

Kyungsoo smiled faintly and said, “I know, I’m your butler and you’re my miss. But, don’t take it to heart. You know, I’m just joking.” Both knew it was such a terrible lie.

 

Daeyoung didn’t reply. Kyungsoo smiled bitterly and returned to his stance, “Well then, I’m leaving, don’t sleep too late.”

 

 

With that, Kyungsoo left Daeyoung. As soon as Kyungsoo left, Daeyoung crumbled to the ground. Tears that had been bit back slowly trickled down her smooth cheeks. Yeah, even if she was dubbed a strong woman, this was too much for her. Love is too complicated.

 

 

Kyungsoo went inside his room and slowly walked to the bathroom. Cold water was not the best option. He would like the freezing one if there was, so that it could cool his anger, embarrassment, and most importantly, heartbreak.

 

 

That night, two people were shattered, and at that very same night, everything changed. 

 


 

That's it for Chapter 3

-Locrianz