Because everything changes

Because everything changes

Changes. Myungsoo associates the word with bad, strange and recently, Sungjong. Or perhaps himself. 

He's not sure when it all started, or changed. Maybe during their newest promotion. Maybe during the months of hard work while preparing for their comeback. Maybe during the time they moved to the new dorms and got themselves each a room. 

Or maybe it had all started when they first met. 

He starts to think he's getting a headache from all this thinking. 

 

Myungsoo recalls the days spent hugging, touching or even just simply looking at Sungjong. He enjoys looking at that smile which seems to glow and radiate, and even more so when it's because of him. No one minds, because he's L, he's Kim Myungsoo, he's supposed to act that way. 

And that's when he starts to think that his cute ball of sunshine shall remain his that way. 

 

Joy erupts silently in his mind when he learns of the new dorm, and with a round of scissors-paper-stone (which Sunggyu had very grumbly agreed to), Myungsoo's almost ready to jump up and let out an ecstatic shout. He doesn't do so of course, because his new roommate is still there, in the same living room. Instead, he settles down on the couch with a small smile as he stared at his phone, that kind that hints that he's fine with the arrangement, not too elated, not too disappointed. 

Out of the corner of his eye, Myungsoo spots an excited Sungyeol teasing a very much annoyed Sungjong who had just gotten his own room taken away. He tries hard to not laugh, and continues listening to Sunggyu's complaints about not having a room of his own. 

He starts to think life's a wonderful dream. 

 

Myungsoo learns much more when he first steps into the new room as he watches the leader ordering Sungjong to bring his luggage in. 

"Why can't you carry your own luggage?" Myungsoo hears a loud sharp cry, and proceeds to look at Sunggyu who was currently sprawled on the bed. 

The leader lifts his head slightly and looks right back at him with a frown, before slumping back down on the bed. "I'm busy, and you're the youngest." 

"What exactly are you busy doing?" Myungsoo hears a thump, just in time to see a half-enraged Sungjong standing at the door with his arms on his hips, his eyes searching the room. Myungsoo offers half a smile and extends his hand to pass the younger a pillow. Myungsoo then watches once again, this time a bit more happily as the pillow soars through the air and lands with a rather painful scream on Sunggyu's face. 

Myungsoo quietly trods out to examine the state of the leader's suitcase and backs away a little as he sees the small dent and hears the approaching footsteps. 

He starts to think that Sungjong has his own kind of charisma.

 

The summer has arrived, and Myungsoo is again struggling to cope with the heat. 

"Sungjong ah, what are you doing?" He asks, just because he's trying to keep his mind off the warm weather. 

"Nothing." It comes out strangely, and Myungsoo can tell that the youngest is hiding something.

Creeping up slowly behind the younger who's sitting at the dining table, he let out a grin before tapping on the other's shoulder. "Hey." 

A yelp escapes Sungjong, and with a swift swipe, Myungsoo scoops up the ice cream tub and spoon before taking a big spoonful.

"Hyung! Give that back!" 

"How about no?" Myungsoo slyly smiles, and taking another spoonful in front of Sungjong's widening eyes, he runs into their shared room before shutting the door. 

Continuous loud knocks can be heard, but Myungsoo continues eating the ice cream anyway. After all, bullying the maknae is one of the members' profession.

His eyes wonder over to Sungjong's bed, and he gets curious. He shuffles through the pile of books in the drawer, and finds pieces of paper stuck. Myungsoo spots a paper covered with holes, and notices the barely visible F in the corner. He chuckles, wondering why Sungjong would even keep such a test paper for so long. 

The doorknob turns with a click, and he looks up to find Sungjong walking in, first glancing at Myungsoo with the test paper, then eyes widening as he notices the melted pile of ice cream. 

"You wasted it, hyung!" Sungjong announces in despair as he continues ranting on how that was the only one left.

Myungsoo starts to think Sungjong has strange priorities.

 

"Let's go out and eat." 

Myungsoo looks up from his camera, and turns to find Sungjong lying facedown on his own table. He gets the urge to raise his camera and snap a shot again, but decides against it for it might end up with another round of scoldings from the younger. 

"Okay, you decide this time." 

Myungsoo watches as Sungjong bounces up, in the process hitting his table lamp, resulting in a acute shriek. He starts laughing, and even as Sungjong lets out a string of complaints, Myungsoo finds it impossible to stop.

He starts to think Sungjong's rubbing off him.

 

Myungsoo feels that he's no longer composed and calm. In fact, he feels like a complete mess on the inside. 

His image, L, seems to have disappeared, and only Kim Myungsoo remains. Just Kim Myungsoo. He feels exposed, uncomfortable without his cover. His cold, expressionless face has completely melted after the months spent together with Sungjong. (Months? Myungsoo feels like they were seconds, moving way too quickly for him to catch.) 

Lee Sungjong. A member of Infinite. One out of the thousands or millions of people he would ever meet in his life. A friend. (Myungsoo strongly questions the definition of the word.) Why him? 

But after seeing his every smile, every laugh, every action, Myungsoo starts to think the answer is slowly revealing itself. 

 

Black. Sungjong changes his hair colour to black, and this signifies a whole new change. The members say it's part of his change into a "hot maknae". Myungsoo can't help but agree. But then again, changes always brought new things, which Myungsoo dislikes most of the time. 

First of all, Sungjong stops his usual chattering. He falls silent, becomes quieter as he listens and watches the other hyungs talking. Myungsoo is frustrated by this change, and it makes it all the more worse when Myungsoo finds that Sungjong's not talking to him like he used to. (Myungsoo thinks it might be his recent decrease in affection that causes this, but denies it anyway as it's just not possible.)

Secondly, Sungjong seems to have gained a new fan. Watching the leader happily cheering while posting random funny pictures of Sungjong on their chat group (and on social media) makes Myungsoo feel a strange churn in his head and heart. 

He starts to think Sungjong actually had a plan to switch their identities, and now, he's the new L, the new mysterious one. (Myungsoo's beginning to dislike the word "new" as well.)

 

 

"To me, Sungjong is the most romantic one in the team." 

Myungsoo declares this with the reason that Sungjong is cool by being able to lead him to do the chores, just because he feels like expressing his thoughts, but yet, because of the decrease in interactions, he has no other reason to supply. 

And hearing Sungjong's blunt answer, "If you think like that, please keep thinking like that from now on, thank you.", Myungsoo grins as he starts to think that maybe the maknae he used to know was still somewhere hidden behind that mysterious change.

 

"Hyung! Stop it!" Myungsoo wakes up to a fuming Sungjong towering over Sunggyu's bed, and he notices that the leader has seemingly just woken up as well. 

"Stop what?" Myungsoo hears the drowsiness in his voice, and wonders if Sunggyu had been snoring, or perhaps sleep talking like him. 

"This!" Hand pointed on the phone's lit screen, Myungsoo could tell that it's because of the pictures the leader had sent last night when the youngest had fallen asleep on his desk. 

Apparently, Sunggyu was too tired from all the laughter last night as he slumped back to sleep, and the last thing Myungsoo sees before he hides under his blankets are the books (With hard covers, Myungsoo notes) flung towards the leader's sleeping figure. 

He starts to think Sungjong's back, and goes back to sleep peacefully, but a little cautiously as he tries to keep himself from doing anything annoying for he rather not know what impact books like those could do to him.

 

Myungsoo fiddles with the wires as he unhappily listens to Sungjong as he talked. 

"I'm currently sharing a room with Sungyeol." 

That's the truth, for now. He glares a little at the unresponsive leader, who is currently too, fiddling with the wires. It seemed that Sungjong had had enough of Sunggyu (Myungsoo definitely thinks it's the leader's fault), and has moved into the other's room. 

So when the show ends, and when Sunggyu follows the youngest to a corner, he's surprised to return home at the dorm to find Sungjong in the group chat once more, but annoyed when he sees a little message and a heart emoticon from the leader who wrote "You know I love you right, Sungjong?". 

He starts to think Sungjong's become more forgiving, and ponders over whether this current change is good. 

 

Sungjong has been dedicating an awful lot of affection and time to Inspirits lately, and Myungsoo finds it hard to deny that he's craving for some of that attention. 

That's when he decides to gather his courage, and perhaps find a chance to question the younger about his recent changes. He makes sure to look neat, presentable, cool, in front of the younger, but finds himself fidgeting slightly under the younger's eyes. 

"Sungjong, you, I mean, do you want to go out and eat today? Maybe get a drink?" 

Myungsoo waits as he watches Sungjong glancing towards the clock before replying him. 

"Okay, let's go to that street shop nearby." 

 

 "Why are you being like that recently, Sungjong?" Myungsoo asks as he subconsciously counts the number of empty cans, trying to remember his limit in drinking. 

"Being like what?" He hears a clink, and glances over to find the younger opening another bottle. 

"Why are you being so mysterious? So quiet? Why are you not talking to me anymore? Why don't you wake me up when you get nightmares or when you can't sleep? Why don't you complain to me when the hyungs bully you? I don't like this new change, Sungjong." Myungsoo voices out, barely able to make out the sudden soft shuffling behind him.

"What do you mean, hyung? If I'm not doing that anymore, I won't be bothering you, right? I need to grow up." He hears a splash, and vaguely notices that Sungjong's spilled half of his drink on him. 

"Why do you need to grow up? Why do you say that you're bothering me?" 

"Because I'm afraid." Myungsoo hears his voice grow soft, and forces his eyes open to see Sungjong soundly asleep on the table. 

"But why?" I'm here for you, Myungsoo wishes to say. But he slowly loses focus, and could just barely hear a familiar figure that looks somewhat like Hoya complaining about why they had drank so much. 

 

Myungsoo's thinking about how well his brain still works when he's drunk. He half-listens, of course, as Hoya gives him a small lecture on how he had allowed them to kept drinking when he saw them in the stall, but was expecting them to talk things over before they both fell unconscious. 

"You should know how well both of you can drink! Why did you even allow Sungjong to drink that much as well?" Myungsoo is still trying to recall the number of cans and bottles consumed. And without much thought, he asks, "How many did we exactly drink?" 

His reply was a knock to his head, and as he again, half-heartedly listened to the rest of the lecture, Myungsoo starts to think that Hoya's like a naggy grandmother, and why he''s never noticed how everyone seems to be particularly caring towards the youngest.

 

"I'm sorry."

That was the first thing Myungsoo hears when he walks into their shared room. He's confused, and quickly sits down beside Sungjong who's looking down at his fingers. 

"Why? You didn't do anything." 

"I made you troubled, didn't I?" Myungsoo hasn't ever heard such a tone from the younger, and he quickly decides that he hates it, because Sungjong never expresses that he's sorry over such a small matter. (In fact, Myungsoo recalls that Sungjong's never said sorry to any of the members, only when they were serious about a certain matter than did he apologise formally.) 

"You didn't." Myungsoo answers gruffly. He vaguely recalls Sungjong's words from the previous night and he's quick to continue, "What are you afraid of, Sungjong?" 

He tries his best to keep himself from fidgeting, from doing anything that might seem inappropriate as he shoulders the silence that follows. 

"Sungjong, it's ok-" Myungsoo finally speaks up when he decides it gets too heavy and serious for him. He's never quite taken a liking to such a serious atmosphere. (And especially not one with Sungjong in it. Heavy conversations should never shadow his sunshine.) 

"You." Myungsoo's not quite sure he's heard that right, not when he is still in denial himself. He turns to find the younger's eyes staring right at him, and in that moment, he simply admires the swirl of emotions in his eyes, because oh god, these are the most beautiful eyes he has ever seen in his entire life. 

He's trying to recognize what Sungjong's saying, trying to read something from his eyes, and finds a strange glimmer. Hope, Myungsoo notes. He sees hope, and Myungsoo's desperately trying to figure out why. 

He starts to try thinking, to start to think again, about a reply, about what Sungjong means, about what he wants as an answer, and the answer suddenly comes through, although not in the way he has expected it to. 

"I see the two of you have finally talked. I expect you guys would want to go out and eat together or watch a movie or whatever people do when they are dating, so get out and let me sleep lovebirds." He hears the door open, followed by a yawn, and the both of them turn to find the leader making his way towards his bed. 

Myungsoo excuses himself politely, along with Sungjong, and again, notes that Hoya's smiling at him strangely. (Myungsoo's starting to wonder exactly how much time Sungjong spends talking to the other members.) 

 

Myungsoo's never noticed how bright the stars looked, how fresh the air smells. Were these changes as well? (Myungsoo doesn't really care anymore.) In fact, Myungsoo thinks, he's never noticed much. (And he again, doesn't notice the way their hands touched and connected under the starry night.)

 

 

 

A/N: Thank you so much for reading! Please comment! :D I hope you enjoyed it! /claps happily with tears/ Back is wonderful! Diamond was awesome, but I need the full version! :) I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE MV! (I really really want that album gosh)