No Way Out

Final Moments

     Jongin and Kyungsoo hold each other close as they try to hold back their tears. They don't have much time left.
     Only hours ago, they had been thrown into this sick game of cat-and-mouse, and now they have finally run out of options. There is no way out.
     Kyungsoo tentatively opens his eyes which had been riveted shut and raises his head from its former position on Jongin's chest, letting his eyes move to meet Jongin's. His gaze is grief-stricken and filled with terror, and Kyungsoo knows that he's struggling so hard to keep himself controlled. Kyungsoo feels his chest fill with warmth as his stomach sinks in a culmination of love and pity for the boy in front of him.
     When Kyungsoo gently brings his hand to rest on the back of Jongin's head and slowly guides Jongin to press his face into his chest, something inside Jongin visibly snaps. He desperately clutches at Kyungsoo as he buries his face into the soft, reassuring cotton of Kyungsoo's t-shirt, silent sobs wracking through his entire body as he forces his body closer to the warmth radiating off of him.
      Kyungsoo cards his fingers gently through Jongin's hair, wrapping his other arm around Jongin's back to hold him against his chest. He allows himself to smile sadly as he quietly caresses the back of Jongin's neck, unable to use his voice to soothe him with the current circumstances. He wonders how long they have left. He wonders which of them will be taken first.
     Kyungsoo is ripped from his thoughts when he hears a chorus of clicking noises, followed by slow, rumbling growl and the sound of deliberately heavy footsteps. He feels Jongin pull himself even closer, their bodies now pressing painfully into each other as Jongin's sobs grow in volume and intensity. Kyungsoo's arms wrap even more snugly around Jongin as he grimaces, knowing that there is no way the creature hasn't heard them by now. He presses a soft kiss to the top of Jongin's head and hopes that he understands the weight that it holds before closing his eyes and nuzzling his face into Jongin's silky hair. He notes that it still smells like his shampoo, even after all they've been through tonight.
     The insistent clicks and guttural growls are steadily growing louder and Kyungsoo forces himself not to lift his gaze to the open doorway. He releases a choked sob into Jongin's hair, silently praying for any way out. Anything to protect Jongin, preserve himself, turn back time and revive their friends who had already suffered the fate that is swiftly approaching them where they lay hidden in the darkness. 
     But as the door creaks open and the click-growls reach a crescendo, Kyungsoo knows that there is no way out. There is no divine being watching over him. There is nothing that can save him, or the only other person he has left. And as a whimpering Jongin's nails dig despairingly into his sides, Kyungsoo can only squeeze his eyes shut tighter and hope that the creature will be quicker with them than it had been with the others.