The Healing Smile

Prince Lay

"Who's in fault?" The King questioned once he walks into the room.

The room fills with silence. No sounds of voice or breaths were heard. Every beating heart in the room is intimidated by the majesty's voice.

  "Who used the ancient bow?” Again, the King sounded. His voice echoed in the hall, making me sweat a bit.

The queen stood behind his back, fixing his eyes on each one of us - Lay, the butler and me.

I looked at Lay. Guilt was written all over his face.  Only then, I continued doing something very stupid. Something I didn’t think long enough to aware of the cost.

"It's me. I used it. I was trying to touch it at first but then I got carried away. I'm very sorry." I admit.

I know I shouldn’t be doing this. But it’s for the best. He’s the real prince here. I am just a commoner. Just recently I got to know that my late dad was the King’s elder brother who married to a villager – my mother.

You probably heard about a-prince-cannot-marry-a-girl-who’s-not-from-the-royal-family rule. So, because of that, my dad eloped with my mom. It sounds very wrong but they did it over love. Nothing can stop 2 people who are deeply in love. Isn’t it? Still, don’t even think of doing it. Please.

About a month ago, after my mom passed away, the Queen (Lay’s mother) knew about my existence. She felt pity for me, as I had to live and survived alone as a villager. She couldn’t help seeing her niece living very underprivileged, so she brought me to this castle.

I was happy with my life, my house, my friends and everything back at home; besides the grief of loosing the only person I loved of course (my mom). I didn't agree with them in the first place. The idea of living in a castle has never came across my mind. In fact, I never knew that I have a royal blood in me. I wouldn’t mind staying at where I was forever. But she insisted and ended up dragging me here.

"What?!" Lay pulled my arm roughly. 

The butler got in between us to broke the tension, resulting him to let go of his sudden grip.

"Be patient my son." The King said.

He sighed before adding further with his speech, to me. "Xiulan, this bow has a very terrible and horrible power. It's been cursed. No one should or can touch it.” He put some strength when he said the word should and can. “If it falls to the wrong hand, it might take over the body of that person." 

I remained on being silent, listening to every single words he said. Lay fixing his eyes on mine and I can see that he's holding back his emotions. I feel sorry for him too.

“Haven’t I informed you about that?” The King’s doubt made me stop staring at Lay and back to him instead. “And worst, you used it inside the castle?”

True. I do know about it. It’s an ancient myth. There was once a prince who used the bow and was possessed by the power. He was too powerful and eventually wanted to rule the 'world'. He killed those who tried to stop him even his best man. At the end, no one knows how the bow left its master. I can’t believe people actually buy that myth. How can a bow possess someone? Ridiculous. Whatever it is, the bow has been hung at the main hall of this castle since no one knows when and no one was allowed to even brush off dust from it. 

I nod. “I apologize, your highness.”

"Well then Xiulan, you know the rules."

I raised my head a bit to show that I'm still focusing on him.

"You'll be locked in the clock tower until dawn. To make sure you have not being affected by the ‘power’ or ‘cursed’ of the bow. A butler will accompany you there since you are the daughter of the supposed to be the heir of this kingdom." Somehow, I think the one who made the rules was being paranoid.

I grinned as the King says my punishment. I know I should feel sad and bad about it – besides the fact that everyone told me that the clock tower is scary. Someone said that, a maiden once saw a woman with long hair and white night gown, sitting at the edge of the clock tower and singing or crying they’re not sure. Yes, that’s creepy. Nobody can pass to climb up the clock tower. It's guarded.

But knowing that I already saved and let Lay escape from the punishment, made me feel that what I did was all worth it.

I guess.

 

******

 

He frowned. "Why did you say that it was you?" Lay waited until everyone else left the room before he stormed me with that question.

"I… had too?" I answered, with uncertainties in my voice.

He raised his eyebrows, showing that he wanted me to continue explaining.

I bring my steps to stop.

"Well, maybe... it's because," I paused. I need to arrange my words carefully, not to let him know about my feelings for him.

I’ve been developing it since before I came here. Who doesn’t know about Prince Lay? He’s the main gossip for almost all girls in the village. Prince Lay is almost perfect. People kept saying that Lay is kind, affectionate, charming, romantic, respect the elders and have sense of fashion. He’s known as the Healing Prince.

Even so, what I’ve heard and what I’ve seen with my own eyes and not to forget what I encountered with him, most of the rumours were not true. He’s so far from affectionate, kind and all sort of stuffs I’ve heard before. I don’t know how he’s near to the truthfulness of the rumours out there but it’s definitely not to me.

For the whole first two weeks I’m here, the way he looked at me was full of despised. Probably he has the feelings of jealousy that her mother was trying to share some of her love for him, with me. I didn’t blame him though. He has the right to do that. I know I am no one. I’m not as pretty and beautiful as other princesses are. I’m not as decent as other girls. I’m not good in making conversation. In fact, I’m not even a real princess. I’m just a guest here.

That’s what I thought.

But no matter how hatred he shows to me, my feeling towards him grows. It kills me, slowly, from the inside.

"You like it so much. I can't let you miss it just because you have to do the stupid punishment." I went on.

It by means, the theatre performance. He loved to see it. Lay's very interested in it since he followed most of the performance ever since he was a little boy. And tonight, there's a show from another country which rarely will be performed here. It's once in every 5 years. He missed the last one, he couldn't miss it again.

“You don't have to." He still hasn’t stop frowning.

The butler cut in; "Prince Lay, you have to go now or you're going to be late."

Lay looked at me, which ended up making me felt awkward. "Thanks."  He said, before his expression changed. It's neither a happy nor a sad expression. Guilty perhaps? Well, that’s something I’ve never noticed.

"It's fine." I smiled and climbed up the clock tower stairs, not turning back. All the fear inside me was gone with my feelings, along with the cold breeze of the evening wind.

 

******

 

hi guys! Wait! It doesn't end here! don't forget to subscribe to know the continuation of this fanfic. :D Don't forget to leave comment. Thank you!

Chanyeol is my bias. Who's urs?? :)

 

Btw, have you heard BTS comeback song? I NEED YOU.if you haven't then you should. OMG! i'm fangirling all over them.