Prologue

Just Like Hyde

June 2011

               Baekhyun looks around the vacant office. A few posters hang on the wall, but the main attraction of the room is the windows which reveal twenty-six stories below him. He glances down and notices how tiny the people are. How insignificant he is to all of those people. He simply feels worthless.

               “When was the last time you cut yourself, Baekhyun?” Kim Minseok asks. This is his family therapist. After his father found out that his son cut himself, he sent him straight to a therapist and told him that he needed to be fixed. Everything in Baekhyun’s life needed to be fixed.

               “It’s been a week.” He says, still not looking at Minseok. He’s still staring out of the window, mesmerized.

               Why do I have to see this stupid shrink? I’m not crazy.

               “Is there anything else you would like to tell me?” Minseok prods.

               “No.”

 

 

August 2011

               “I haven’t seen you around in a while. How have you been, Baekhyun?” The young therapist smiles.

               “Great, actually. 67 days cut free.” Baekhyun proudly announces.

               “That is the best news I’ve heard all day. Actually, all week. May I ask? What is the cause of this? Not that I’m complaining, just curious is all.” Minseok smiles at the boy.

               “I’ve met somebody. His name is Chanyeol.” Baekhyun’s grin spreads from ear to ear.

               “That’s amazing, Baekhyun. You have no idea how happy it makes me to hear that you’re doing well.

               “Oh, I think I do.” He smiles, prideful.

 

November 2011

               “Minseok-hyung. I’m not sure how much more I can take. Mom is now gone, but she’s really sick and dad is never home, always doing work stuff, and it feels like Chanyeol is always upset with me.” Baekhyun’s hands fly to his face, trying to hide any tears that may come flying down.

"What's going on with Chanyeol?" Minseok prods, momentarily ignoring the other aspects contributing towards Baekhyun's misery.

"I-I don't know anymore." Baekhyun fumbles over his words. "He gets upset with me over absolutely nothing. It's almost like he's a different person."

"Hmm. That's strange. Do you ever talk to him about it when he's calmed down?"

"No," Baekhyun pauses. "He never remembers it. He basically blacks out, I-I don't know."rs it. It’s almost as though he blacks out, I-I don’t know.”

“That sounds… unusual.” Minseok ponders. Their session ends with that. Baekhyun leaves, still a mess and his heart weighed down. Minseok decides that he wants to do some more research based off of what Baekhyun has described to him.

The next day, Baekhyun goes back to visit Minseok, not because he felt that he had to, but he wanted to. Too much has happened for Baekhyun to handle alone.

“I-I left my house last night. I couldn’t stay in that empty house anymore.” Baekhyun stammers.

“Where did you go then?” Minseok prods.

“I-I went to Chanyeol’s house.”

“Did he yell at you again?”

“Y-yes.” Minseok pulls his glasses off of his face and gently rubs his temples.

“Baekhyun, are you at all familiar with the story of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde?”

“Vaguely, why?” What does that have to do with anything? Baekhyun wonders what this has to do anything with Chanyeol.

“So I assume that you know Dr. Jekyll is a good guy, but sometimes he flips a switch and becomes evil and angry?" Minseok puts his hands over his face, disbelieving the words that are about to escape his lips.

"Yes?"

Minseok slowly exhales, "Based off what you've told me, it sounds like when things are good with Chanyeol, he's Jekyll, but when Chanyeol flips that switch, he becomes a completely different person, just like Hyde."

"What does that mean? What are you saying, hyung?" Baekhyun's expression portrays his confusion.

"What I'm saying, I believe that Chanyeol has dissasoiative identity disorder." Minseok hisses.

"What is that?"

"Have you heard of multiple personality disorder?"

"I know of it..." Baekhyun grumbles.

"By what you've explained, that's what it sounds like has been going on with Chanyeol."

_______________________________

April 2012

"How are things going? You haven't been around lately."

"Good! Things are great, actually. Chanyeol and I are getting married on the 8th."

"I know. I got the invitation, I'll be there." Minseok smiles. "How have things been with the y'know, thing?" Minseok says, feeling as though he's over stepping his boundaries.

"It's getting worse, he hit me yesterday." Baekhyun says bluntly.

"He did what?!"

"Chanyeol hit me." Baekhyun repeats.

"Are you sure that marrying Chanyeol is the best thing for you?" Minseok's concern filling the room.

"I'm in love with him, hyung. Any amount time away from is too much, it hurts. Ever since I met him, I quit cutting, the desire to end my life has faded. Chanyeol saved me. I'm not leaving him."

"You just said it's getting worse, what happens if you end up in the hospital? What happens then Baekhyun?"

"I'll stay with Chanyeol. Minseok-hyung, I think you underestimate my love for chanyeol."

"Maybe I do. Tell me what happened when he hit you." Baekhyun explains what happened quickly, not missing any details, but not lingering on them.

"Does it happen when anyone else is around?" Minseok asks.

"No."

"Curious, very curious." Minseok picks up the pen and begins playing with it.

"What's curious?"

"Think about it, Baekhyun." Minseok looks out of his window. "Chanyeol only gets mad at you. He only flips personalities on you. This side of him is only shown to you."

"Are you saying Chanyeol is like this because of me?!" Baekhyun shrieks.

"I'm not saying that, I'm saying that it's something about you that triggers it. I don't know what it is, but it's something. Who knows how much worse it'll get, or when he'll finally stop."