To be able to think.

What it means to kill;

Tao watches as Kris fixes his machine, meddling around carelessly with the controls. They had spent almost four days here in the desert and their supply was getting low. One more day, and he would have to send out a signal flare for his organization to pick him up. He eyes his fading bruises with a detached curiousity, wondering what his boss would say with his current appearance now. 

"Hey Kris?" "Yeah?" 

"What are you gonna do when we get out of here?" 

Kris raises his head and smiles, the little half smile that grew onto Tao slowly, like Kris's little antics and weird lessons that Tao would never admit to liking but had caused him to grow. But that's all Kris does. He does not offer a reply, only stares Tao down calmly for a few seconds before turning away back to the engine. Tao felt his nerves tingle. 

There was something in Kris's smile that scared him. It almost felt like Kris was not leaving the desert at all. 


 Later, during lunch, Kris had shot him a smirk that had Tao almost shivering. That smirk promised trouble- and he knew it when Kris tossed one of Tao's knives at him, much like their first meeting. "Let's fight," Kris says. Tao stares hesistantly at the knife on his hands, so foreign yet so familiar, all at the same time. He could not forget the feeling of the knife, how he used it like an extension of himself, but yet- yet he had not touched it since that day when Kris forced him to relive his nightmare. Now the knife seems to be nothing but a foreign object lying in his arm. Tao bites his lips hesistantly, but Kris does not see his hesistation, nor feelings. How could Kris? With his obstinate stubborn behaviors, and stern, almost cruel way of approaching people? Tao sighs, and spins the knife once in the air before catching it by the hilt. 

Truthfully, Tao has not decided what his next course of action would be. Heck, he hadn't even decided on what Kris's main purpose of coming here, befriending Tao and feeding him all these weird, contradicting lessons that force him to think, too much. Does he want to continue being a killer? Tao stares at the man, tall and handsome in front of him and wonders what organization he was from, whether they would see each other again after all this time spent together. He wishes the man could just be straight with him for once, and tell him everything. Tao was tired of thinking through Kris's actions, tired of Kris making Tao think differently. 

He had never thought anything wrong about his profession until Kris came about- but hadn't Kris come to teach him how to kill? Tao frowns. Really, he had never felt so confused in his life until Kris entered. He was perfectly able to accept his profession. Even as Tao thought that, he knows it was a lie. Tao had never been truly happy about his profession; had never been truly happy about killing people swiftly and quickly. 

Tao only made himself get used to it. 

Kris looks at Tao's contemplating face, and smiles, to himself.