Final

If You Only Knew
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Nara! Nara!"

Here he comes.

"Han Nara!"

I can hear his footsteps fast approaching. One.

Two.

Three.

"Nara!" Sandeul exclaimed with a wide smile on his face, as he slid the classroom's door open.

"What?" I asked him. I had just finished eating my lunch, and I was not in the mood for hogwash.

Sandeul was panting as he sat beside me, "Have you seen Hyerim? Where is she?"

I felt my whole body freeze. He's looking for Hyerim, again.

"No, why?" I answered with another question, trying to sound uninterested. I never liked it when Sandeul asks me things about Jung Hyerim, his crush.

Sandeul and I have been friends since third grade, and now we are in junior high and we are still close. We're even classmates. We're also neighbors. Even our parents are friends, so we are almost inseparable. Until Hyerim transferred to our school.

"Do you think she already found a date for the prom?" he asked with a worried look on his face. Oh, yeah. The junior and senior prom will be held in two weeks’ time. I let out a deep sigh before answering him, "How should I know?"

Sandeul scowled, "Come on, Nara. Stop being sarcastic," he then moved closer to me, "Help me out with Hyerim and I'll treat you for lunch!" he said with a smile.

I quickly averted my eyes. Smiling Lee Sandeul is bribing me, and it looks like he will succeed. If he only knew.

"Nara~ Come on. Be a jolly good friend and I'll treat you for lunch. Please?" Sandeul was almost shoving his face to meet mine, as he held my hand and squeezed it tightly.

I hate you, Sandeul.

"Fine!" I exclaimed, trying to sound annoyed. He won, "What do you want me to do?"

Sandeul giggled, "Can you ask her number for me? You guys share the same Algebra class, right?"

I felt my heart skip a beat. His question felt like he was asking me to dig my own grave. I bit my lip as I thought of my answer to his question.

"Nara, please?"

Sandeul, you idiot.

"Han Nara?"

I hate you.

"Nararararara~" he sang as he shook my hand, "Help me, please?"

I closed my eyes shut as I let a deep sigh.

"Okay."

There, I said it, even if it was against my will.

I saw his smile grow wider, "Really?"

I nodded.

"Nara, you're the best!" Sandeul exclaimed cheerfully before standing up to hug me, "You're the greatest and bestest friend ever!" he added before walking towards the door, "I need to go now. I'm almost late for Chemistry class. Bye, Nara! Thanks for being an awesome friend," he said before closing the door, leaving me alone.

The silence was deafening. I felt my whole body become numb. Sandeul just told me I was his friend. His greatest and bestest friend.

Sandeul, why?

Don't you know how much you're hurting me inside?

I turned to look at my phone. And my wallpaper is a selca of us, taken a year ago, before Hyerim came to our school and made Sandeul fall for her.

I forgot. I shouldn't be affected by Sandeul's admiration for another girl. Besides, I'm only his friend.

His greatest and bestest friend.

 

 

I stood outside the classroom after Algebra class, waiting for Hyerim to go out. As a good friend of Sandeul, I need to do him a favor.

I need to ask Hyerim's number for him.

"Yes, I was able to buy the dress half its original price!" I heard Hyerim and her friends talking on their way out. Here it goes.

I quickly walk to approach them, forcing a smile on my face, "Hi Hyerim!"

Hyerim answered with a smile, "Oh, hello. You are..." she looked like she was having a hard time remembering my name, so I decided to help her with it.

"I'm Nara," I interrupted.

Hyerim nodded, "Right, Nara. How may I help you?"

I felt my heart beat a hundred times faster, "Um, I was wondering if I could get your number. You know? So that we can update each other in this class, since we're in the same section," I quickly took my phone from my bag.

"Oh, sure," she smiled, before taking my phone from me to save her number, "Just drop me a message if you need something."

"Okay, thanks," I bowed. Hyerim smiled, before walking away with her friends. Such a nice girl. And she's really pretty too. No wonder Sandeul likes her so much.

Jung Hyerim is everything Han Nara is not.

I am no match for her. She's quite popular, she's gorgeous, she's sweet, she's friendly, she's a good singer, she's a member of the school chorale, and she's also part of the school's volleyball team.

How about me? What am I? I'm awkward, I don't have many friends, I'm not pretty, I'm a wallflower, and I don't think I have any special talent, aside from burping the alphabet.

I watched Hyerim walk away with such elegance and confidence in herself. She's flawless.

She's perfect.

 

"Thank you so much, Nara! I appreciate your help," Sandeul spoke cheerfully from the ot

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter