Kind Offer

Favorite Tutor

 

The after school bell ring and Jinyoung meet Ms. Jin in the teacher’s office as usual. She offer/ force Jinyoung to let her drive him instead of taking the bus to Mark’s house. Jinyoung actually appreciates it, but he don’t want to be a bother to Ms. Jin. To be honest Ms. Jin is the only person that Jinyoung is close with, he doesn’t have any friends or anyone to talk to  in Seoul. That is why he treasure Ms. Jin a lot, she is a very passionate and caring teacher despite her young age. She is only 5 years older than Jinyoung.

 

“You’re here. Let’s go” Ms. Jin grab her black purse and the two heads to the parking lot. “Jinyoung your grades dropped a bit lately. Is there something wrong?”

 

“Nothing” Jinyoung didn’t want to tell her about how his parents called him a few days ago telling him that his dad business is doing very bad. His mom now have to work two jobs to try to maintain the house and farm. When he get pay next week, Jinyoung will send all the money to his parents. Which means he will have to continue to work night shift at the convenience store. Jinyoung stay quiet and Ms. Jin seemed to notice and change the topic.

 

"Is Mark difficult to teach?" Ms. Jin as she turn on the engine and back the car out of the teacher's parking lot. Jinyoung put on his seat-belt quickly, Ms. Jin driving scares him a bit.

 

"No, he is a good student. It's just he get distracted easily. But he have a very good memory" Jinyoung looks forward to the tutor session for some reason. It must have shown since Ms. Jin smile at him.

 

"I'm glad that you are having fun. He's a pain in my class, but I know he's not a bad student. He just need a lot of attention" Jinyoung totally agree with Ms. Jin on that one. If Jinyoung take his eyes of Mark, he would play with his Nemo plushie or draw something on the paper. Jinyoung have to scold him every time his attention is somewhere else. No matter what Jinyoung feel guilty for getting paid three times with such easy task.

 

“What’s wrong?” Mrs. Jin ask in concern,

 

“I don’t think that I should be accepting three times the pay for this. I mean I do appreciate it, but I feel like I don’t deserve it” Jinyoung really do need money is he feel like he is getting overpaid.

 

“Don’t feel guilty about it. They are the one that offer it, it’s not like you asked them to. It’s their sincerity so you should accept it. Or you can help Mark get into the top 15% so that you don’t have to feel guilty about it” Mrs. Jin make a dangerous and sudden turn into the driveway, making Jinyoung grab the handle and held in a scream. Jinyoung bow and thanked Ms. Jin before getting out of the car.  Jinyoung keep his thought to himself as he ring the doorbell. The gate opens and Jinyoung enters the house.

 

“You’re here early” Mark smiles as he greet from the kitchen. He seems to be in a good mood today. Jinyoung wonder why, Mark must have read his mind. “My parents are not home today. Actually they are on a two week vacation”

 

“So you will be home alone?” Jinyoung is worry since Mark doesn’t look like he can take care of himself. Jinyoung not even sure if Mark know how to cook.

 

“Of course, the housemaid will drop by to clean. Besides that I’m home alone” Mark drinks the water bottle as he head upstairs with Jinyoung right behind him. Jinyoung give Mark some of the math question that he prepared last night. Jinyoung also have some example to explain before Mark have to solve the questions on his own. Mark focus more than normal today, of course he still get distracted by the birds that flew by, but he behave well today.

 

“Oh I forgot about something. Can we end the lesson a bit early today?” Mark ask in the middle of the lesson. He seems to be happier and eager to learn today.

 

“What for?” Jinyoung ask, he really want to get Mark into the top 15%. At the same time, he doesn’t want to be too strict on Mark.

 

“My friend is visiting from Hong Kong so we are going to grab a drink and catch up” Mark give Jinyoung the best puppy eyes and Jinyoung nod.

 

“Thank you so much” Mark is so happy that without thinking he grab Jinyoung’s hand and kiss it. Jinyoung pull back in surprise, feeling his cheeks burning at the sudden surprise. Mark didn't know why he did that either, he grab his pen and continue to solve one of the math problem in his notebook. The rest of the lesson end in silent, Jinyoung collect his books and notebooks. Mark didn't know what to say or do either so he just stay quiet. The two make it to the gate ready to part way.

 

“Have fun” Jinyoung begin to walk when Mark call to him. “Yes?”

 

“How are you getting home?” Mark ask, sitting on his red and black motorcycle. Jinyoung didn't know that Mark can ride motorcycle.

 

“The bus”

 

“So yesterday you took the bus too?” Mark ask in disbelief, Jinyoung nod with a straight face. *Without the bus how else would he get home*, Jinyoung thought.

 

“Why didn't you tell me? Get on, I will take you home” Mark toss the helmet to Jinyoung, who somehow manage to catch it before it fall to the ground.

 

“No it’s fine, really” Jinyoung try to return the helmet, but Mark won’t take it. Mark is a lot more stubborn than Jinyoung thought. He know Mark wouldn't let him say no so he put the helmet on. Jinyoung got on the back, there is literally no distance in between them. Jinyoung sit as straight up as possible so that he doesn't lean on Mark too much.

 

“You have to hold on like this” Mark grab Jinyoung’s arm and place it around his waist, “or else you’re going to fall off” Mark start the engine with Jinyoung arms around him. Jinyoung feel something weird is forming inside of his chest, but shook it off. Maybe it’s the feeling of having a friend. Mark was speeding the whole time, Jinyoung had to hang on to Mark like his life depends on it. However, it still doesn’t scare Jinyoung as much as when Ms. Jin. Finally, they both reach Jinyoung’s house in one piece.

 

“Thank you” Jinyoung mumble as he taking off the helmet. Still dizzy and daze due to the speed ride.

 

“Next time, I can give you a ride to my house after school and after the lesson I can drop you home so you don’t have to take the bus okay?” Mark offer, Jinyoung shook his head and then feel the dizziness come back again.

 

“No, It’s fine. It’s too troublesome” Jinyoung refuse, he already getting paid so high so he doesn't to take advantage of Mark. Mark and his family are very nice people, but Jinyoung doesn't want to be a bother.

 

“But I want to” Mark almost pout and that surprise Jinyoung. Jinyoung feel the weird feeling in his chest coming back again, *what is this feeling?*. Jinyoung try to tell Mark that he doesn't need to be pick up or drop off, but Mark didn't seem to listen to him at all. “You talk too much, I've already decided. I will see you next week”. Mark drove off before Jinyoung can declined his kind offer. Jinyoung stood there dumbfounded, he feel very grateful so now he have officially made him his mind. He will get Mark to the top 15% no matter what.