Golden Job Offer

Favorite Tutor

Waking up at five in the morning, Jinyoung washes his face and put on his school uniform. Jinyoung put on a smile at his reflection in the mirror. ‘Everything will be alright so just smile'

 

“Morning madam” Jinyoung bow to the older lady watering her plants.

 

“Morning to you too, Jinyoung come over after school. I have some squashes to give you” she knows that Jinyoung lives alone so she often give Jinyoung some of the vegetable from her garden. Jinyoung is very grateful to her for most of his meals. She is like a second mom to Jinyoung.

 

“I will, thank you so much Mrs. Park. Beautiful day to you” Jinyoung bid goodbye before running to the bus stop, he’s just in time for the bus. Jinyoung take the very back seat on the bus so that he can study for his upcoming exams. He can’t afford to waste anytime at all. The bus arrived very early, but the next bus will be late so he have to take the early one. Therefore, he always get to school an hour earlier. In that hour he usually help the teachers in the office or just study in the library.

 

“Good morning” Jinyoung bow at the door before entering the teacher’s office, he can see his homeroom teacher is at her desk working hard. The teacher was too focus on time kind of paper document that she didn’t notice Jinyoung’s arrival.

 

“Morning Ms. Jin, you looks quite busy today”

 

“Oh Jinyoung, you’re here. I’m looking over some parent complain right now. She claimed that us teachers didn’t teach her son right that’s why her son’s grades are so low.”

 

“How come she didn’t get him a tutor?” Jinyoung take a seat on the stool, Ms. Jin brought it from home since Jiyoung comes very often and she feel bad when Jinyoung have to stand.

 

“She did post a request for tutor on the bulletin board, but no one ever apply. She is willing to pay twice the normal amount too. I guess everyone knows about her son that’s why no one apply” Ms. Jin recall that certain troublesome student that maker her head hurt everytime she have to teach him anything. He doesn’t pay attention and get easily distracted.

 

“Who?” Jinyoung ask out of curiosity

 

“Mark Tuan” Ms. Jin also shudder at the name

 

“Oh, that is a difficult one”  Jinyoung agree, he remember how that student only sleep in class or just stare out of the window the whole lesson. That student sometimes make very irrelevant comments that piss of many teachers. The thing about that student is that it doesn’t seem like he is doing it on purpose, he look very innocent despite all the difficulties he gave the teachers.

 

“See, no one dare to sign up as tutor, the pay is very high too. $100 dollar an hour” Ms. Jin shake her head

 

“What? 100 dollars an hour? That’s crazy” Jinyoung couldn't believe his ears at all. The usual tutor is only 45 dollars an hour and to Jinyoung that is a large amount of money already

 

“Ah, Jinyoung can you please be his tutor? You are a patient and wise person, everything that Mark lacks so I think you can deal with him.”

 

“Me?” Jinyoung didn’t know what to think. Does he really want to add another problem in his life? However, with that money he can pay the rent and school tuition easily with his other job at the restaurant.

 

“So can you?” Ms. Jin ask with her puppy eyes. Jinyoung had no choice, but to nod. Deep down he knows that he might regret the decision later on. Jinyoung bid goodbye since the bell for class ring. Ms. Jin watch Jinyoung go with a kind smile until he disappeared. Another kind of smile creep on her face as she scream in happiness making her co-worker look at her suspiciously.

 

“Jin what did you do now?” Faye, English teacher, ask with judging eyes at her best friend. She knows Jin only act like that when she had done something evil.

 

“I’m playing matchmaker for my favorite student that’s all.” Jin smiles happily, this is not her first time playing cupid, the last time she play cupid was when she made Faye go on a blind date instead of her. Now Faye is married to the man she she meet on that blind date. Jin only get this cupid feeling when she feel like two people are meant for each other. She felt this the moment she saw Jinyoung and Mark walk past each other two days earlier. The two just seem perfect together, their personality completes each other.


 

 

“Hello Mrs. Tuan, I brought my number one student here to tutor Mark” Ms. Jin and Jinyoung bow to show respect. Mrs. Tuan look a lot nice then how Ms.Jin describe.

 

“No need to be so formal with each other. Mark is upstairs in his room. Ms. Jin would you stay for some tea before leaving?”

 

“Sure, if you don’t mind. Jinyoung go upstairs”

Jinyoung follow the instruction of Mrs. Tuan, but the house is so big that he got confuse. Luckily, Mark’s room have his name printed on it. Jinyoung knock twice

 

“Come in” a voice shout

Jinyoung slowly open the door, revealing Mark laying on his bed listening to his head phone. Jinyoung didn’t know what to do as he take one step inside the room and stare at Mark. Mark stares back at him for few seconds and then a recognition came across his face.

 

“Ah, I forgot. You’re the tutor right?” Mark immediately put away his headphone and head over to the study desk. He doesn't seems like a delinquent student at all. He look like he is ready to study and very focus.

 

“So let’s start with Korea's history” Jinyoung began and immediately take back all his good words about Mark. The moment the book is open, Mark begin to yawn and look every else except the book. Jinyoung tried to make Mark focus, but it is impossible.

 

“Back when the Japanese invaded Korea--” Jinyoung turn to Mark

 

“You have pretty eyes” Mark smiles at him, Jinyoung feel his heart race all of the sudden. Mark caught him off his guards that’s why he react like this.

Jinyoung can feel his ears turning red, he turn back to the textbook. He try to ignore the comment and focus on his job.

 

“The emperor---” Jinyoung began only to be cut off again.

 

“Do you sing? Your voice sounds nice” Mark now have his head on the table as he stare up at Jinyoung. Jinyoung admire his beautiful face for a second before snapping out of the trance.

 

“I can’t tutor you if you keep on interrupting me” Jinyoung try his hardest to sound mad, Mark sit up immediately.

 

“Oh sorry, I was asking out of curiosity. I didn’t mean to make you mad” Mark voice is full of sincerity that makes Jinyoung feel bad for getting mad at him. Mark doesn't seems like he did it on purpose, maybe that’s just how he is.

 

“It’s fine” Jinyoung sign in relief as Mark tried harder to pay attention after that. Of course Mark still get distracted over the fly that was flying by, the ant that was crawling by, the bird outside the window, etc. But he still able to memorize 80% of what Jinyoung taught him. He is not a difficult student, he just require a lot of attention and a little more time to get the informations in his head. Jinyoung feels satisfied that the tutor session went successfully and he is glad that he accepted the offer. Jinyoung make a note of thanking Ms. Jin later.

 

“I will walk you out” Mark quickly clean up the books and pencils neatly before leading Jinyoung down the stairs. Mark give his mom a hug and his mom ruffle his head. They seems to be very close, Jinyoung then thought about his parents and signed. With this tutor job, Jinyoung doesn't have to work at the convenience store anymore. He look at Mark smiling at his fishes in the tank and he feel thankful. Today they meet for few hours, but Jinyoung is very thankful of Mark.