Five years + Kris/Tao

EXO Orphanage

Kibum and Jonghyun remembered it as tho it's been yesterday. One day, they just woke up around midday, being a very lazy couple, they heard some high-pitched screaming in front of their small house's front door. Panicked, Kibum was the first to dash over and see what was going on. With no hesitation he opened the for and next, a squeal coming from the 27 year old male was heard. Jonghyun quickly ran over as well and couldn't believe his eyes. His boyfriend since High School wasn't squealing out of fear, no, he had a huge smile on his face and the small frame of a baby in his arms. He looks at the ground and saw a little note. Picking it up, it shortly read 'Have fun with it' and nothing more. "We'll keep it." Kibum glare at the shocked male. And what the diva said was law, nothing could be said or done about it.

They didn't go to the police, nor told anyone about it who didn't question why they suddenly had a baby despite being gay and adoption not being allowed for them.
No two months after having got the little baby whom they named Baekhyun, history repeat itself and there little one woke up due to screaming coming from the front door again.

It went on and on for two tears. They had five little kids running and crawling around by then. Baekhyun, Chanyeol, Jongdae, Joonmyeon and Minseok. But after those two years, something new happened. Instead of the usual crying, someone ran their doorbell one day. It was a girl, a very young girl, holding two crying babies in her thin arms. "P-please.." She begged. "P-please.. U-umma.. S-she won't take me back.. P-please.." Kibum and Jonghyun remembered fighting their tears that day. Her voice struck on their heartstrings and they took the twins in. The girl, Soohyun, had already named them after important people in her life, asking them to keep the names. "Luhan and Sehun.. P-please take care of then.."
They invited her for some tea and cake in, coaxing her into saying he's as she just wanted to leave. But she was a crying mess, and they felt the need to calm her first and show her that they would provide the kids best care and love.

Another year passed when yet something unusual happened. Try didn't hear the crying voice of a baby, nor the confident knock of a crying woman, no, it was a weak knock, which they wouldn't have heard if it wasn't for the kids. And as they opened the door, they were greeted by a teary eyes young kid. "H-hello.. U-umma left.. S-she j-just d-drove a-away.." The guessed she did it for the same reasons as the others, but leaving a kid who already had got the chance to grow up with his real mother, who knew her and would figure out later what she did, never forgetting this, it made Kibum angry and Junghyun lose his faith in humanity. "I-I'm Kyungsoo.. I-I'm four.." They immediately brought the boy inside and introduced him to the other little ones. He was greeted with happy faced, and being a your kid, he quickly grew to love them and eventually forgot about how he landed here, tho he was forced to remember it as he grew older.

It was almost yet another year as another mother came by to drop her child. She was rude, but yet, at least, had the decency to show up herself and gave her kid away with her own hands. They looked at the four year old sat in the floor under the table in the kitchen and the let the mother speak, listening to her sharp voice. She was rude, but at least she have some information about the boy and had decided to name him 'Jongin'. To their luck, she left a bit after an hour, but the poor, silently crying kid was still under the table. He could barely talk, and no matter how hard they tried, he didn't come out.
At night, when they had given him thick blankets, a cushion and a plushy, Kyungsoo waffle out of the bedroom and got the smaller one to come with him, sharing the bed. Since that day, they were the eat of friends and nothing could tear them apart.

A few months after this incident, there was another soft knocking heard on the front door. The two males, now already in their thirties, had a sad smile on their faces as they already guessed it was another older kid on his own. As they opened the door tho, they saw a little biy holding another younger, smaller and crying one in his arms. They weren't from here, was the first thing they noticed about their appearance and the struggle of talking the older one had. His vocabulary was small and they ah trouble understanding him. "Yixing.. A-and Zitao..brother.. Umma gone.." He pointed towards the crowded street full of cars and Kibum quickly brought them inside. To their luck, Jonghyun had majored in Chinese back in the day and did the talking, explaining to the two kids it was alright and they didn't have to be scared, they were safe now.

The last boy came approximately another year after that. It was yet another mother handing him in personally. She loudly knocked on the door and rudely pushed a tall boy to the couple as soon as the door opened. The boy, Wufan, groaned and pushes past them inside, storming around until the found a seating opportunity. The other kids quickly hid from the 'scary boy' as he just silently sat around. Kibum and Jonghyun stared at each other in disbelief, not really understanding what just happened. In her broken Korean, the mother started to talk sharply and brought them back to reality. "Have fun with the spawn of the devil." And with that, she stomped away on her high heels, her long blonde hair waving in the wind.

And that was it. After Wufan joined the family, after five years of being handed kid after kid, it stopped. They were a family, a big one, and had fourteen mouths to feed. It was hard, since only Jonghyun had a well paid job. Kibum hardly ever found workplaces that accepted the flamboyant 32 year old man. But so far, it was fine. The kids finally were out of the age to need diapers and they understood that they couldn't have all the sweets and toys they wanted. They lived a rather happy life. With few exceptions.

-----

Wufan spoke no Korean, they found out few days after the realization slowly kicked in why he always stared confused at them. He didn't speak Chinese either, or well, refused to do so as Kibum found out no few months later. He was from Canada and his mother, who was on a vacation in Korea, just dropped him by after having heard about the couple who took lots of kids in the past years. 
Seemingly, he didn't even try hard to learn Korean, but they gave him the chance to. He was supposed to be in school already at the age of 7, but they decided it was fine if he started a bit later after he was able to fully understand Korean. 'I'm hungry', 'Go away', 'Wanna die?' and 'I'm tired' we're seemingly the only phrases he knew. If he knew more than that, the two didn't know. He barely spoke after all. But the seven year old boy wasn't keen on letting them find out anyways.

This night, Kris was sleeping on the couch like always, refusing to sleep in a room full of other kids and share a bed with one of them, someone waddled out of the room. It was the youngest, Kris noticed, and he went straight to the almost sleeping boy on the couch. "Wufan ge.." The strained voice if the small panda-like boy said. He had puffy eyes again and Kris helped him up on the couch with a sigh. He hugged the boy close  to him and whispered in Chinese, not wanting anyone else to possibly hear him. "I've told you to call me Kris, Taozi.." He was tired of he sing this name. With barely seven years of age, he had been through too much and was already tired of life, loved sleeping and being alone. "But Tao calls you Wufan.. Tao likes the name.." The boy speaking of himself in third person nuzzled his small head against Kris' chest and whispered. "Tao..is sad.. B-but Tao doesn't know why.." The four year old often woke up and cried, running to Kris for help.
Kris saw the crying boy one day, hiding in the bathroom. He was still three at that time, but already had nightmares. He took responsibility that day of the boy and glares at everyone who made him cry. No one knew that he was actually talking to their little panda, but everyone understood there was a strong bond between the two, despite their .
"Why? You saw it again?" Kris whispered to the kid. "Y-yes, ge.. S-she was hurting Yixing ge.." His sobbing wasn't loud, but Kris' already felt how his shirt got wet. He patted the small head of the younger and shook his head, not understanding anything, but let it go again. Tao always had this dream. Some woman hurt his brother, and neither Tao nor Kris could seem to figure out who she was. Tao didn't say anything more than she was hurting him either, no specifics, and Kris didn't push the matter any further. They silently sat on the couch, Kris soothing the other with a soft him of a Chinese kids song and eventually pulled them to lay down. Since Tao was still rather small, they easily fit on the couch together an cuddles until they fell asleep.

The next morning, they got woken up by a loud squeal and a few excited shouts of 'Umma!'. Kris quickly sat up and disappeared in the bathroom as he saw few kids smiling at them, locking himself in. Tao knew better than to cry now, knowing Kris would struggle to either come out and help the little one or stay inside one which he much rather wanted to. He fought his tears back and looked around for his ge, the only one he could talk to beside Kris. His Korean was still very bad, as he would always much rather play around or sleep all day long instead of learning a new language.
Key appeared no few seconds later and smiled, sitting down next to the small boy on the couch. He picked up a few Chinese words, asking his boyfriend to teach him some basics so he could talk with the younger and the other two Chinese. "You were with Kris again, Zitao?" Everyone called him Kris, not wanting to make the boy angry, as the kids were scared of him and the two eldest men didn't want him to grow up hating them. "Yes, mama.." He wasn't much of a talker, preferred talking with either Kris, Yixing or Jonghyun. It hurt Key, tho he would always say it's fine and he'd wait until the youngest would open up more to him.

Tao jumped down from the couch with his tiny legs and ran past his ge, who tried approaching him, towards the bathroom, pounding his small fists in it, crying quietly in Chinese. "Wufan ge.. L-let me in.." Everyone inside the room watched the scene as Kris opened the door slowly and pulled the sobbing boy inside, locking the door again. Jonghyun once thought about removing the lock, but Kris was the only one using it and they trusted him. He was the oldest, was quite and deposits scaring the others, he never hurt anyone and was the only one able to calm Tao. Not even Yixing could calm him completely anymore. In the end, he always ran to Kris' arms and let the oldest calm himZ

The day went on rather calm, much to Jonghyun's and Kibum's pleasure. They didn't dislike the loud screaming and happy laughter, but they liked the silence. It didn't happen often after all that the kids decided to watch a movie on a rainy day. Usually, they'd just run around inside the house and play. But today, to Tao's request, or rather crying, they agreed to watch a movie. None of the kids dared to say no as they saw Kris' glaring. It was a Disney movie, Pocahontas, Tao's favorite one, and even tho Kris always had to whisper into his ear to translate what was going on, he loved watching the movie. And yes, Kris translated all the Korean. He was a smart boy, picking up the language rather fast, but let no one beside Tao know that he actually understood everyone.

After the movie ended, Kibum just finished with the meal. It was pasta, something they had rather often, but to his luck, the kids loved it, calling it the best ever. "Umma, I wanna be a cook like you when I'm older!" A smiling Kyungsoo once said. Even after a thousand explanations, the young boy didn't seem to understand or simply don't care that Key was no cook and it was just his duty as a mom to do this. But he didn't mind it and rather welcomed all the compliments.
At the dining table were found 11 people. Kris, like always, stayed in the shared room and waited until everyone was done. And once the familiar face of Tao would peek in and tell him he could eat now, he'd walk out to the dining room and be greeted by a smiling Kibum. The fake blonde always tried. He didn't give up. He spoke English, tried Chinese and Korea, and always stayed with him as he was silently eating.
And even tho he often times glared at him, told him to 'Shut up and go', Key never did so. He saw the flicker in the kid's eyes. He saw the occasional glances, he caught him speaking to Tao. He never told Jonghyun about it, knowing that the appa of the house hasn't found a liking in the boy yet, but he promised to himself to make this boy open up and happy.
And Kris silently thanked the male everytime. After every meal, he'd look at him as tho he wanted to say something, disappearing in the bathroom no few seconds afterwards tho. Every night, after Kibum had read a fairytale or told his own stories to the kids and would come out a bit later, kiss Kris' forehead and whisper a soft 'goodnight', Kris again slightly opened his lips, trying to say something. But after Key's whisper, he always disappears in the bathroom for about ten minutes.
Everyone was curious, wondered what it was all about, Kris' bathroom secret.
But only the youngest panda boy knew it, and Kris hoped it would stay their secret forever.

 


A/N.: first chapter (: I know it's a bit messy- the following chapters will all be little stories focusing on either one or more people- /bows/ I hope I somehow met your expectations! 

Their ages: Chanyeol & Tao (4), Baekhyun, Chen, Xiumin, Kak (5), Suho, Luhan, Sehun, Kyungsoo, Lay (6), Kris (7) 

Question: Who's your bias in EXO~? Mine is Tao <3

xoxo, Mina